Isasik Shulin

Elwynn

The one in the above image actually sort of looks like the Alliance lion, to be perfectly honest. At least, that's what I think of when I look at it.

And thanks for the quote, Windy! :D

So now we know that it's definitely Dalinar. Let the theorizing on the cape symbol commence!

Keep in mind for the cover vs the in book: Brandon could have said to Whelan "Hey, we're going to need to have the symbol on the flag be crab like, and very symetrical." and he tried to do his best, while at the same time Isaac was working on making the real glyph since Whelan doesn't know how to write the glyphs, and Isaac might not have been done with that particular one at the time.

Both Pennsylvania and Nigeria were colonized by England, so they both had significant influences from the same source.

So if you think of the "crab" symbol that way, maybe Shivertongue and KChan have the best interpretation of how the symbols are similar but not the same.  Same influence, different people with different cultural preferences putting pen to paper, so to speak.

I'm curious. Is the figure in the distance Dalinar? Cause the larger figure has a shardblade that matches the description of Eshonai's blade......

Also I noticed the crab like symbols on the corners of the Kharbranth map.

Edited by ADIMORTIS

I'm curious. Is the figure in the distance Dalinar? Cause the larger figure has a shardblade that matches the description of Eshonai's blade......

Also I noticed the crab like symbols on the corners of the Kharbranth map.

No, Dalinar is the person in the front (for more see Windrunner's spoiler a few posts above). The cover is a scene from TWoK itself. 

The one in the above image actually sort of looks like the Alliance lion, to be perfectly honest. At least, that's what I think of when I look at it.

Love you. That was the first thing I saw and wondered if anyone else that impression.

Not sure if it means anything, but the symbol is different than the ones in Whelan's first sketches

I don't know if it means anything either. But I'll take it. Seems sanderson told him he needed something else there, or gave him a general idea what needed to go there instead. At least, that's the way I'm thinking about it right now.

I don't know about the cape. It could match the third front cover order, or even the tenth back cover order. The way the legs curl matches perfectly with the background of Ishi's picture, first time I've seen that, but then there would have to be a connection between front and back cover.

Haven't had much time to look at it, just first impressions.

This isn't intended to be a 100% canonical image. Michael Whelan is doing his perspective on a moment in the story. And we have confirmation that the person on the opposite side of the canyon is supposed to be Eshonai.

Well based on the cape color, the lack of kholin glyphs and the spearbearer in carapace armor on the other side of the chasm, I thought it was kaladin and eshonai.

Maybe whelan made several images, because the copy I read this year didn't have two swordbearers facing each other.

Edit: the ones posted by phantom monstrosity are definitely different from what I've seen since the spearbearer had a sheild on his back in the version I saw.

Edited by Fistsofrage

• 2 weeks later...

More fun with symbols. Notice the similarity between the Knights Radiant symbol and the Double-Eye of the Almighty. 

KR symbolTen_spears_zpsa14d8416.pngDoubleEye_zpsb21dda16.jpg Double-Eye

Also interesting, the middle pattern of Fabrial bears a striking resemblance to the KR symbol. I'm hoping this ends up as the pattern for Augmenting Fabrials. 

FabrialTypes_zpscf678542.jpg

I actually see no major similarity between the first two. The only similarity I can see at all is that there are four lines at each side but they are to different. I do not think that there are any correlation between the two symbols.

They both have a central circle with two vertically displaced dots. They both have an outer circle with ten lines radiating from it (or 10 wedges if you prefer to look between lines). Oddly, the way the lines radiate seem to be rotated by 90 degrees. I link the white part on top and bottom in the KR symbol with the sclera of the Double-Eye.

More fun with symbols. Notice the similarity between the Knights Radiant symbol and the Double-Eye of the Almighty.

Where are you getting the names for them, that one is the KR symbol? I figured they were both just different ways of drawing the Double Eye, and that similarity goes without saying. It's a religious symbol, and artists are going to stylize it differently. (Like this sticker I just found on Google, with 30 different ways of drawing a cross.)

I actually see no major similarity between the first two. The only similarity I can see at all is that there are four lines at each side but they are to different. I do not think that there are any correlation between the two symbols.

I had completely the opposite reaction; I thought the similarity was so obvious that it didn't mean anything.

Did you notice that the second one is an eye with 2 pupils?

Morsk, I'd have to dig through the WoK to find specifics, but I think the in-book description of the KR symbol fits the first image. Also, if you look carefully at the KR table inside the cover you can see the same KR symbol formed out of the Orders (just try and ignore all the extra lines and the surge glyphs)

EDIT: mistborn

I just remembered Happyman's post about the Well of Ascension appearing every 2^10 years vs 16^2 x 4 years. My conspiracy theorist brain is seeing an emphasis on the numbers 2, 4 and 10 in these images, and in the way magic is organized on Roshar. (10 total orders, 4 orders per side, 2 orders in the middle) You can see 10, 4  and 2 being important in the way Allomancy was originally organized in the first Mistborn book as well, though that changed over time. Very interesting.  

Edited by Isomere

I found the quote for you Morsk, it's in Starfall when Dalinar notices the KR's breastplate glows with the KR symbol:

Dalinar recognized the symbol, the particular pattern of the stylized double eye, eight spheres connected with two at the center. It had been the symbol of the Lost Radiants, back when they’d been called the Knights Radiant. (chapter 19)

The biggest find for me was the link to a Fabrial Surgepattern. Anyone have thoughts about why the KR symbol looks like a Fabrial Surgepattern
? Especially since the pattern is invisible to the naked eye. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone ever took a look at the background of the images that separates parts?

The ones that go like this:

Part

One

Above Silence

Kaladin - Shallan

Parts 1 and 5 have the same background, as are 2 and 4. 3 is unique.

I swear those symbols look like the symbols of Radiants to me.

1-5 > Windrunners

2-4 > Second Order

3    > Third Order

Edited by cem

Above silence the illuminating storms dying storm's illumination the silence above. A ketek made up of part titles. Seems to put together storms with the death of Honor.

Above silence: windrunners

Illuminating storms: second order

Dying: third order

Storm's illumination: second order

The silence above: windrunners

Symmetrical, and the words are probably directly tied to the order symbol. Pretty sure this has already been posted somewhere.

So the symbols literally ARE  their numbers. Jes = number 1, so this is just a numbering sequence with symmetry:

Jes - Nan - Chach - Nan - Jes ==  1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1 

How much would you wager that Nan will be embossed on the hardcover of Words of Radiance?

Edited by Isomere

I could see that, as Nan is book 2. I could also see the corresponding number of whichever Order Shallan will end up in (often theorised as Shash). After all, Kaladin is on the path to become a Windrunner (Jes) and book one is Kaladin's book, so it could go either way.

So the symbols literally ARE  their numbers. Jes = number 1, so this is just a numbering sequence with symmetry:

Jes - Nan - Chach - Nan - Jes ==  1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1 

How much would you wager that Nan will be embossed on the hardcover of Words of Radiance?

I could see that, as Nan is book 2. I could also see the corresponding number of whichever Order Shallan will end up in (often theorised as Shash). After all, Kaladin is on the path to become a Windrunner (Jes) and book one is Kaladin's book, so it could go either way.

For a while Brandon deliberated whether to make Book 2 about Dalinar's story or about Shallan's. He wouldn't have had any difficulty if each book focused on a member of the next Order in the sequence. (Edit: Unless Dalinar and Shallan are in the same Order. :blink:)

I also think Book 2 would have Nan embossed on the cover, but perhaps the Nan member will just be introduced. Or if we'd already met him, perhaps he'll be one of the main characters for the book, but not Shallan.

Edited by skaa

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...