Ferrings

Deus Ex Biotica

If you could be any kind of Ferring, what would it be?

For me, it's all about Steel. The modern world is full of times when we're not really using Physical Speed: trips by bus or plane (or even car, if we're not driving), watching movies, reading epic fantasy series when we should be studying, actually studyng, long phone calls, etc. And the occasional bout of super-speed would be awesome!

As a runner-up, the ability to store Heat is oddly appealing. How many summer days and winter nights are spent wishing for the thermal energy levels of the other?

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Though it has yet to be explained in any detail Bendalloy. From what I understand The idea of eating one large meal then going days without needing to sounds pretty awesome or being like a Camel and not needing a water soure along while can be incredibly useful. Meaning you could be the ultimate survivalist, as long as you store up when you get the chance.

I agree with Deus. I would choose steel.

Knives and knuckle-dusters for unparalleled close range combat. Whips and flails for mid-ranged death-dealing.

... I kinda hate to ask, mate, but do you often find yourself having to deal death to people?

I would definitely go with Cadmium. I'm a swimmer, so not having to breathe for long periods of time would make me a lot faster. I wonder if, on Scadrial, they've developed surgical procedures to implant metalminds?

Miles did, but since neither the paranoid Wax nor the also-a-Bloodmaker Mayne mentioned having implanted Metalminds, I assume there's nothing generally known which is safe for even a very hardy individual.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. I can see the use of Bendalloy, but literally eating enough food for a month seems like it would get really, amazingly boring.

... I kinda hate to ask, mate, but do you often find yourself having to deal death to people?

Miles did, but since neither the paranoid Wax nor the also-a-Bloodmaker Mayne mentioned having implanted Metalminds, I assume there's nothing generally known which is safe for even a very hardy individual.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. I can see the use of Bendalloy, but literally eating enough food for a month seems like it would get really, amazingly boring.

As for Bendalloy, I can see eating enough food for 1.25 days every day and it adding up for when you need it. Storing water would also be useful.

I would probably go with Copper, although Steel certainly has its appeal.

Edited by Kurkistan

Bendalloy could be nice. Forget taking the energy/water back out: it's a miracle diet! I bet all the supermodels in the Mistborn universe are subsumers.

Personally, I'd go with being a Brute. There is a lot that we do in daily life that doesn't require much strength (say, working in a cubicle). But then there are times when you need to move and all those darn boxes get pretty heavy.

Copper could be nice, but loosing the memories until you recall them could be a little annoying. Brilliant for tests, of course.

Bendalloy could be nice. Forget taking the energy/water back out: it's a miracle diet! I bet all the supermodels in the Mistborn universe are subsumers.

Personally, I'd go with being a Brute. There is a lot that we do in daily life that doesn't require much strength (say, working in a cubicle). But then there are times when you need to move and all those darn boxes get pretty heavy.

Copper could be nice, but loosing the memories until you recall them could be a little annoying. Brilliant for tests, of course.

I reckon Scadrialian schools and unis have a "absolutely no copperminds allowed during tests" policy. Otherwise the archivist Ferrings would all graduate with highest honours and everybody else would be screwed.

I reckon Scadrialian schools and unis have a "absolutely no copperminds allowed during tests" policy. Otherwise the archivist Ferrings would all graduate with highest honours and everybody else would be screwed.

They probably have all the sparkers, archivists, and spiners in separate classes.

Not really, but IRL I am spectacularly unintimidating, and it bites me in the chull when I lose my temper. I guess I'd just like some overkill in the "you can't make me if I don't want to" department.

I would definitely go with Cadmium. I'm a swimmer, so not having to breathe for long periods of time would make me a lot faster. I wonder if, on Scadrial, they've developed surgical procedures to implant metalminds?

Miles did, but since neither the paranoid Wax nor the also-a-Bloodmaker Wayne mentioned having implanted Metalminds, I assume there's nothing generally known which is safe for even a very hardy individual.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Darn. However, in our day and age (when the next Mistborn trilogy is set), we have implanted screws and stuff all over the place. So they'll probably do more implants as surgical techniques get better.

Suddenly I realize another weapon that's perfect for steelrunners.

Throwing rocks.

A steelrunner could totaly take out thugs and brutes will well placed rocks moving at 100 plus mph. Total David vs Goliath.

Edited by Goradel's Nephew

Suddenly I realize another weapon that's perfect for steelrunners.

Throwing rocks.

A steelrunner could totaly take out thugs and brutes will well placed rocks moving at 100 plus mph. Total David vs Goliath.

... Which raises the interesting question of would that break the Steelrunner's hand? We know that hitting someone would cause major damage to the Steelrunner and throwing is effectively the low-mass version of hitting.

And if that IS the case, shouldn't the Steelrunner's clothes cause hidious bruising?

Hmm... or am I being tired-induced stupid? The rock would accelerate with the hand holding it... as long as you don't try hitting it mid-air there wouldn't be any effect?

Bah, I'll think more on this in the morning.

... Which raises the interesting question of would that break the Steelrunner's hand? We know that hitting someone would cause major damage to the Steelrunner and throwing is effectively the low-mass version of hitting.

And if that IS the case, shouldn't the Steelrunner's clothes cause hidious bruising?

Hmm... or am I being tired-induced stupid? The rock would accelerate with the hand holding it... as long as you don't try hitting it mid-air there wouldn't be any effect?

Bah, I'll think more on this in the morning.

I wrote a post earlier... Somewhere I'm not going to bother to find since I'm using my mobile... That dealt with how feruchemy protects the user from his own power using steelrunning as an example.

Feruchemy protects steelrunners by increasing the tensile strength of their muscles, ligaments, etc...

Otherwise steelrunner would tear his own limbs off.

A small amount of that tensile strength would also help against impact damage.

Otherwise steelrunners would shatter their own ankles.

Steelrunners have to be careful when impacting slower moving objects (punching, kicking, faceplanting) because the bigger the difference in speed, the bigger the impact.

The reason I listed flails and rocks is because these can be used primarily with tensile strength and won't harm the ferring.

I listed knives for the Count of Montecristo. Speed is the key to a knife fight.

I wrote a post earlier... Somewhere I'm not going to bother to find since I'm using my mobile... That dealt with how feruchemy protects the user from his own power using steelrunning as an example.

Feruchemy protects steelrunners by increasing the tensile strength of their muscles, ligaments, etc...

Otherwise steelrunner would tear his own limbs off.

A small amount of that tensile strength would also help against impact damage.

Otherwise steelrunners would shatter their own ankles.

Steelrunners have to be careful when impacting slower moving objects (punching, kicking, faceplanting) because the bigger the difference in speed, the bigger the impact.

The reason I listed flails and rocks is because these can be used primarily with tensile strength and won't harm the ferring.

I listed knives for the Count of Montecristo. Speed is the key to a knife fight.

/

So what would happen if you were already holding the potential opponent, and then tried to push them at high speed?

/

So what would happen if you were already holding the potential opponent, and then tried to push them at high speed?

Since you're pushing instead of hitting, it's not an impact, just a transfer of force. Steelrunning won't increase your physical strength though, so the ferring would have to be strong enough to push them in the first place.

Alas, we have no real idea. The only time this power is even mentioned, to my memory, is at the end of Alloy of Law, where all it says is that it isn't well understood even among ferrings, and it rarely discussed outside the community. Unless there are more sources, anything we would postulate would be wild speculation.