A Memory of Light Release Date

LevenThumps

While I'm eagerly anticipating the final book in this incredible series, I've been reading this series for over 20 years. I think I can wait a few months more to read the end.

Besides that, I also want the best book possible to finish this amazing journey. Brandon, take your time and get it right. This is the end of an era and it needs to be handled with care.

Wow. That's longer than I've been alive. How long has this series been in the making?

Thanks. That doesn't make me feel old at all. ;)

Eye of the World was first published in January, 1990. While I think I picked up both that book and The Great Hunt at the end of that year, that's still over 20 years. Basically, I've been reading this series all of my adult life.

While I'm eagerly anticipating the final book in this incredible series, I've been reading this series for over 20 years. I think I can wait a few months more to read the end.

Besides that, I also want the best book possible to finish this amazing journey. Brandon, take your time and get it right. This is the end of an era and it needs to be handled with care.

Ditto...

Thanks. That doesn't make me feel old at all. ;)

... and ditto.

I started reading the series my first year of college. That was 1998.

I am split on the release date.

Almost another full year is quite a while. I do understand the reasoning though. The prior two books were so full of typos and errors, they pledged to make this one as clean as possible.

We know it is going to be super epic. Between Jordan and Sanderson, could it be anything short of the most epic ending this side of Polgara having her babies?

Now, what I dislike about this more than anything, even more than having to wait another year to end the series, is the fact this this bump will more than likely bump SLA2 completely out of 2013.

Typos, timestamp, regular editing all take some time. Remember, Sanderson is still catching flack over the Tam issue which isn't really an issue for those that paid attention. Considering it will be the absolute last book in the series, taking the extra time to get it as close to perfect really isn't going to hurt much. The good thing about this being the end is that it will free him up to write solely his own stuff. I know we are all waiting for Elantris 2, Warbreaker 2, SLA2, and Mistborn 4.

I would not be surprised in the least if the date winds up getting pushed to around December 11. That would allow it to be out in time for the Christmas rush. Releasing a major book like this after the Christmas season is bound to hurt initial sales simply because people will largely be tapped out by the season. Listing it as January this far out gives them the ability to say they managed to get it out early or to take the time if it is really needed. I do not hold much faith in the year of the dragon stuff. Six years from now, who would remember what Chinese year it came out?

This is really bumming me out. I'm not a huge fan of the Wheel of Time (mainly because I haven't got past book 3 yet) but the fact that Stormight 2 is at best a little over year away is too bad. Part of me wants to be annoyed that Brandon started working on the Wheel of Time, but I can't do that. It's obvious from the interviews that he was thrilled to be a part of it, and you can't go blaming someone for following what they love. And in addition to that, I think he's said that the experience he got from writing the Wheel of Time is helping him with the Stormlight Archive, which is my favorite book. If he says that writing AMoL makes him a better writer then I'm all for it. In the end, I think I'm glad he is writing it, even though it pushes back his own work.

I guess I'll just give the Wheel of Time another go. I liked the Eye of the World just fine, and the Great Hunt was pretty good too. The Dragon Reborn just got me all hung up though. I kept trying to read through that conversation between the Children of Light in the beginning. Several of those guys have names that start with B and I never understood which one died in the end of the second book, so I didn't get it. I figured it was important so I kept reading it over and over, which was probably a mistake. I just quit after a while. Someone suggested the WoT Wiki for characters, so I think I'll try that and do my best to avoid the spoilers there. Sorry if this got a little rambly.

I guess I'll just give the Wheel of Time another go. I liked the Eye of the World just fine, and the Great Hunt was pretty good too. The Dragon Reborn just got me all hung up though.

If you can push through TDR (which I admit is kinda weak; it's my least favorite of the early books), you will get to The Shadow Rising, which is my personal favorite book in the entire series. (Most people's favorite book is one of 4, 5, or 6.) Why do I love TSR so much?

Well, there are three main arcs in this book. Each arc is long, full, and amazing. Each arc reveals a significant and astounding chunk of Jordan's worldbuilding. In each arc, all of the characters grow, change, progress, and mature. And each arc has its own climax that is at least as exciting as any ending climax in any book of the series. (Rand's arc has the actual ending climax. Yes, his arc has two climaxes.) Oh, and let's not forget: all three arcs get resolved.

TSR is actually the last book in the series that resolves most of its plot threads. After that, the scope of the plot, in simultaneous threads and characters, grows too great. So, you'll get things happening like book 7 ending on a cliffhanger for Mat, and then Mat does not appear at all in book 8. Or something happening to Perrin at the end of book 8 that does not get resolved until book 11. Or a White Tower plot thread that begins in book 4 and does not get resolved until book 12. Stuff like this is infuriating if you have to wait years between book releases, but now that the entire series is nearly complete, it's not as big of a deal.

At 390kwords, TSR is literally the longest book in the series. But it reads like one of the shortest. I guarantee that it will feel a lot shorter than Crossroads (book 10), which is actually 120kwords shorter than TSR, but reads like the longest because it's just. So. Dull.

I kept trying to read through that conversation between the Children of Light in the beginning. Several of those guys have names that start with B and I never understood which one died in the end of the second book, so I didn't get it. I figured it was important so I kept reading it over and over, which was probably a mistake. I just quit after a while. Someone suggested the WoT Wiki for characters, so I think I'll try that and do my best to avoid the spoilers there. Sorry if this got a little rambly.

Know your TDR prologue Whitecloaks!

• Pedron Niall - Lord Captain Commander. He is the man at the top of the command chain. He runs the show.
  • Geofram Bornhald - Lord Captain. One rank below Lord Captain Commander, a Lord Captain commands a legion. You may remember this Bornhald as the leader of the Whitecloaks who captured Perrin and Egwene in the first book. Geofram was killed by the Seanchan at the end of book 2.
  • Dain Bornhald - I forget Dain's rank. Anyway, Dain is the son of Geofram. He's pissed that his father is dead, and blames it on all the wrong people, mostly because of the idiocy of...
  • Child Byar - Second in command to the late Geofram Bornhald. Now second to Dain. He was sent away from the battle with the Seanchan by Geofram so that he could report the outcome to Pedron Niall.
  • Jaichim Carridin - High-ranking Questioner (the branch of the Children dedicated to the interrogation and torture of suspected Darkfriends - think Spanish Inquisition). Carridin is a Darkfriend. You may recall him from the prologue of book 2, wherein he was known as the man who called himself Bors. His Ba'alzamon-mandated actions on Toman Head most likely lead to Geofram Bornhald's death.

There you have it. Any questions? :D

It's funny; Erica Sadun (WoTFAQtress-cum-tech-supergeek) told me that TDR was her favorite of the early books, and she felt 4-6 weren't as good. There seem to be a lot of older fans who feel that way. Now 4-6 are the favorites. I liked TDR because I'd never read a story where the author actually backed away from the main character like that, and I found that the element of mystery was intriguing, and I also enjoyed the perspective of the other characters.

Also, there will be some big news tomorrow, and I think it's about this.

Edited by Terez