Hear ye, hear ye!

Eerongal

Discreet Room Seynir

[To Umieri]:"Sure, I'll take the first watch. I still have to finish packing and practice some spells."

I carefully check the blade of my scalpel. Satisfied, i wipe it with alcohol and replace it in my robe, within easy reach, then move on to dagger. Finished with my weapons and instruments, I turn to Turjan.

"Since I tend to forget the spells when I sleep, I tend to cast them in the evening, before going to rest, for practice. In the dungeon I may have to dispense with this habit, lest I am awakened by something unfriendly without any arcane defense. So, look if you want."

I rummage a bit in my spell pouch, and extract a part of human shoulder blade, intricately carved,and a candle in a small sack.

"This is a summoning spell. As you can see, it operates partially on the sympathy principle, as many spells with material foci do. In this case the candle and the sack represent reaching out through planes, if I understand it correctly, and the bone provides a sympathy focus for a summoned creature"

I concentrate, feeling the energy of the arcane Weave around me, wincing, as usual, at its fragility, and start drawing energy from it, directing it with the help of an intricate pointing gesture with the hand holding the bone ,and controlling it with some garbled variant of Draconic. I feel the border between the planes grow thin near me, and switch my focus to the bone to align with one of the planes "inhabited" by the undead. The border rips momentarily, and a human skeleton complete with mace appear nearby. Due to a long practice, all this takes less than 10 seconds. I don't give any command to a skeleton, and soon it disappears, the planes reclaiming their own, and the borders regrowing.

"Like that. Mind you , I have no idea why they carry weapons there, but this was a summon from one of the planes saturated by negative energy that supports the undead creatures."

"Next is a simple cantrip, that, however, have many uses."

I retrieve an empty vial from my sack, and speak a quick incantation, trying to pronounce it as clearly as possible. About half a flask worth of clear liquid appear within. I sniff at it, and quickly replace the stopper.

"A lesser acid orb spell, used to conjure acetic acid. Diluted, it may provide the finest quality vinegar. And speaking of vinegar, I believe that the taste of an orc may be improved, if the meat is soaked in ginger-vinegar mixture for about an hour."

I notice a quick wince passing Turjan's face.

"Yes, I know that many people find the practice ... unappealing, and that is quite so. However, in this case, I say "waste not, want not". If the choice is between eating a fresh orc in your tower, or going into orc-infested forest to kill some other creature, I'll eat orc, thank you very much. As such, I tend to check new species that I kill for one reason or another for edibility, just in case, although I try to avoid obviously poisonous ones."

I blink.

"My research indicates that you can't cook the poison out of a ghoul, or most other undead, though."

"Well. Any questions?"

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Discreet Room Seynir

"A very small piece. Also, I tried to leach the poisons caused by decomposition. I should have thought about negative energy component before that, though. Stupid mistake, but I was sick for a while"

Discreet Room Seynir

[To Umieri]:"Sure, I'll take the first watch. I still have to finish packing and practice some spells."

..Snip..

"Well. Any questions?"

As you cast your spells, Turjan makes notes in his notebook, and you notice him mimicking some of the movements you make, before going back to writing in his notebook furiously.

When you ask for questions, he says, "Would you be able to show me some of the movements again? Also, what language was that you were speaking? It's not one I am familiar with."

Discreet Room Striax

"My name is Striax. Can you tell us if you can disable traps, or just find them? And what do you know about the dungeon?" I ask Turjan.

Turjan looks at you and answers your question, "I can find and disable them. If anything would be considered my specialty, that would be it"

(DM Talk: Unless anyone has any objections, we can go ahead and pass the night now, unless you guys want to continue anymore in character Q&A with the NPC. If so, disregard the next passage and continue, and I will remove it)

The night passes uneventfully. You each take your turn at watch, but nothing more than maybe the occasional sound of footsteps of someone passing through the alleyway comes to your attention.

By the end of the last watch, by your best guess estimate it should be just before daybreak. After giving the casters time to prepare themselves for the coming days, and for everyone to take in a hasty meal, you should now be within your window to catch the wagon in the alleyway.

Discreet Room Striax

"Everybody ready?" I ask. It's a shame we couldn't pick up a close-range fighter I think to myself. Most of us use just distance attacks

Edited by Tulir

Discreet Room Umieri

Umieri had finished meditating and was explaining the details of his religion to Turjan.

"The sovereign Host is a pantheon of nine gods and goddesses, rather than just a collection of deities. They are largely removed, distant, and uninvolved with the affairs of my home. We don't pray to them for any sort of afterlife reward, only for material gain n this life. Worshipers of the Sovereign Host are called Vassals and they are divided across a wide variety of churches and organizations across Eberron. There is no central hierarchy to worship of the various gods of the Sovereign Host and practices vary tremendously between sects.

At one point, the Host actually numbered thirteen. The four others were banished from the Host following the Schism. Two more dark deities join them to form the Dark Six, the counterparts of the Host."

Umieri finishes up with an explanation of each god, good and evil.

Turning to his comrades, "I'm ready."

[ooc] I am not going to list out every god. If you are curious. linky. [/ooc]

Discreet Room Seynir, Striax, & Umieri

Finishing packing his things, Turjan stands up and puts his backpack on.

"I'm certainly more than ready to get this adventure started!" he says as he heads towards the door.

Working the mechanism, he slides open the stone door, and steps out through the opening.

Discreet Room - Alleyway Seynir

I follow the ranger after my eyes adjust to the increased light levels. After getting outside, I almost immediately spot the wagon fitting the description given by Murl.

Discreet Room - Alleyway Sael

I hope Turjan comes out soon. I think, standing in front of the wagon I borrowed from the order earlier in the morning. While these three took up with that fool Murl, Halmyr did nudge me towards them after the investigation yesterday and they didn't have much of a choice after their encounter with the aberration...

OOC Stuff :

This is leading to an internal monologue that I don't want to list all IC as it would be too long...: basically boils down to Sael being asked by the town guard to help investigate the murder of the Corrupted human and ends with a confirmation that he was indeed an aberration. (Sael is asked because he is part of a deity's clergy which provides almost all of the Clerical resources for the immediate area and he was already in town due to his deity telling him to visit the town before moving on to the dungeon.) The guard determined early this morning to not press charges but would like the other three out of town so the populace doesn't get angry. If necessary I can adjust the story as needed, but I think it works. ;) (Also, apologies if it is a bit much.)

Well, time to stop reminiscing and prepare for the day now that I have a bit of time to spare. Breathing slowly, I rest my spear on the ground in front of me and begin to cast a spell. Quietly speaking the verbal part of the spell, I go through one of the short martial katas that accompany many of Halmyr's divine blessings and end the spell with a flash of light emanating from the holy symbol tied around my neck. I breathe deeply once, reaching down and grabbing my spear, which is now glowing faintly with divine power.

As I stand back up with my spear in hand, I realize that I had heard some footsteps behind me during the spell and spin around as quickly as I can, knowing that if this is a real battle I am dead.

"Turjan! Good to see you!" I say, relaxing slightly as I recognize him, a smile breaking across my face as I silently berate myself for losing focus. "I have the wagon Murl rented for you. He is lucky that the head cleric is less stringent than I, or he wouldn't have gotten anything. Sometimes I worry about the clergy... Well, enough of my fears, there will be a cleric waiting at the entrance to the dungeon to take the wagon back after you are finished with it."

Turning towards the other three, my smile becoming more neutral: "As for you three, I bring a message from the town guard: they will not press charges against you, but they ask that you leave town at your earliest convenience. While the creature you killed at the tavern was unholy, the people of the town are rather jumpy at the moment, as you may have noticed. As for myself, I would like to join your group to the dungeon. I have quite a lot of combat training, as Turjan can attest to, and I believe you may need the assistance in that area."

Edited by Thor

Discreet Room - Alleyway Seynir, Striax, Umieri, & Sael

Smiling upon seeing their wagon driver, Turjan walks up and claps Sael on the shoulder.

"My friend, well met! It is good to see you! It has been far too long," the man exclaims happily.

"Is this, finally, an 'official' visit to the dungeon by the head cleric, or are you acting out of your own interests? For myself, I knew the dungeon would be pulling me in eventually, it just so happens that I was also signed up for it by my superiors."

Thinking for a moment, Turjan turns to the three following him, "All, I would like to introduce you to my friend, Sael, Paladin of Halmyr."

Turning and smiling at Sael, he turns back and mockingly pretends to talk in hushed tones that are actually quite loud, "he claims he is not a paladin in the service of Halmyr, just a simple cleric, but the way this man charges into battle, I'm quite inclined to disagree."

I watch the interplay with certain amount of interest.

The laws and the people in this city sure are weird. An abomination may walk the street unchallenged, but killing it gets us thrown out of town? Well, their land their rules I guess.

I blink to clear my thoughts and address the cleric

"I am Seynir. Your addition to our party is certainly more than welcome. As is the confirmation that the creature that attacked us did, in fact stay dead. By the way, are your superiors aware that it was selling a fake map to the dungeon that may have indicated the ambush site for others like it?

Anyway, we were just about to head out of the city, so our presence should not cause any more problems."

Tossing his backpack on to the cart, Turjan hops up on the back and turns to face everyone.

"Well, does anyone have any last minute business before we get going, or are we ready to head out?"

Leaning back against his pack, he splays out and gestures towards Sael, "As for me, I plan on catching a short nap before we get to the dungeon, while my chauffeur drives us all out to the summer house."

Discreet Room - Alleyway Sael

Smiling upon seeing their wagon driver, Turjan walks up and claps Sael on the shoulder.

"My friend, well met! It is good to see you! It has been far too long," the man exclaims happily.

"Is this, finally, an 'official' visit to the dungeon by the head cleric, or are you acting out of your own interests? For myself, I knew the dungeon would be pulling me in eventually, it just so happens that I was also signed up for it by my superiors."

Thinking for a moment, Turjan turns to the three following him, "All, I would like to introduce you to my friend, Sael, Paladin of Halmyr."

Turning and smiling at Sael, he turns back and mockingly pretends to talk in hushed tones that are actually quite loud, "he claims he is not a paladin in the service of Halmyr, just a simple cleric, but the way this man charges into battle, I'm quite inclined to disagree."

"Far too long, indeed! It is good to see you still have Halmyr's holy symbol around your neck, though you appear to have gained quite a few others... As for your question, it is some of both. I told the head cleric of my plans yesterday night, after communing with Halmyr at dusk. At first he seemed hesitant of letting me go, but he quickly changed his mind and was soon ushering me out the door with that wagon of your's. I'm not entirely sure what changed his mind, but I am not sorry for it!"

At Turjan's Paladin-Cleric remark, I fake a glare toward him for a few seconds before breaking into a smile.

[OOC - That remark is even more hilarious when one considers I am eventually going to take a level of Prestige Paladin. :P ]

Alleyway Umieri

"Evening, my fellow man of faith. Though we serve different gods, may we walk this path in harmony."

Umieri gives a small nod, and extends his hand.

"Well met," I say, shaking his hand, "It will be nice to have another cleric to speak to while entering the dungeon."

I watch the interplay with certain amount of interest.

The laws and the people in this city sure are weird. An abomination may walk the street unchallenged, but killing it gets us thrown out of town? Well, their land their rules I guess.

I blink to clear my thoughts and address the cleric

"I am Seynir. Your addition to our party is certainly more than welcome. As is the confirmation that the creature that attacked us did, in fact stay dead. By the way, are your superiors aware that it was selling a fake map to the dungeon that may have indicated the ambush site for others like it?

Anyway, we were just about to head out of the city, so our presence should not cause any more problems."

"No, I did not know that," I say, feeling slightly surprised, "Do you happen to know where that map is? Nothing was found at the inn, as far as I can recall."

Tossing his backpack on to the cart, Turjan hops up on the back and turns to face everyone.

"Well, does anyone have any last minute business before we get going, or are we ready to head out?"

Leaning back against his pack, he splays out and gestures towards Sael, "As for me, I plan on catching a short nap before we get to the dungeon, while my chauffeur drives us all out to the summer house."

I give another fake glare towards Turjan before emitting a soft chuckle. "Off we go then!" Jumping into the driver's seat, I start the wagon off as soon as the rest of the group is aboard.

As the cart makes its way through the large city arches, you feel a sinking in your stomach. You're finally headed to the dreaded dungeon. It may be a very long time before you see this gate again....

Party one will now be continued in their own dungeon thread

Party one will now be continued in their own dungeon thread

[ooc]

woooooo_a87bc0_129760.jpg

[/ooc]

(yes I know it has a grammar error, but it conveys the feeling nicely)

Edited by Emeralis00