Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

I'm thinking Paul Giamatti for Breeze or Dockson, and maybe Paul Bettany for Sazed.

Marsh- Hugh Jackman

Kelsier- Nathan Fillion (Sorry, he's just so good, but I think he'd make a great Wax, too. If he wasn't dead- Heath Ledger)

Ham- Matt Damon? nah, too young... Got it! Russel Crowe!

Clubs- Morgan Freeman

The Lord Ruler- Jude Law

Yeden- Naveen Andrews?

Vin- gotta be someone new.

• 4 weeks later...

I know he is way to old for it but I can really see Sacha Baron Cohen doing Spooks lines.

Kelsier - I think Collin Farrell could play this with the right amount of humor, arrogance and anger

Vin - The girl that plays Arya in Game of Thrones Maisie Williams

Ham - I like the idea of Michael Chiklis (sp?)

Breeze - Philip Seymor Hoffman or Paul Giamante

Clubs - Jack Nicholson (gotta age him down a bit)

Dox - Paul Giamante or Philip Seymor Hoffman (one of these guys needs a part in this movie)

Sazed - Lawrence Fishburne

Lord Ruler - Michael Fassbender

Marsh - Tom Hiddleston (already has experience playing a brother who feels he has never gotten his due)or Zachary Quinto

Shan - Amanda Seyfried

Elend - I got nothing for this one I like james Mcavoy but I think he'd be to old with the Vin I cast.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's slightly off-topic, but what about the music? Having a good score for the film is just as important as having good actors.

I was thinking of something similar to LoTR where the composer assigned small snipets of music to each character and location, and incorporated them every time they appeared on screeen. For Mistborn they could do the same for the characters and add a rhythm for each of the allomantic powers; kind of like bronze pulses. It'd go a long way towards helping the audience keep track of who's using what power, even if they aren't paying attention.

1st Pick: Clint Mansell (Moon, Black Swan, Mass Effect 3), or

2nd Pick: John Murphy (Sunshine, 28 Days Later, Kick-chull), or

3rd Pick: Paul Leonard-Morgan (Limitless, Dredd).

All three have a very futurist way of scoring and aren't limited to doing it all themselves (i.e. pulling existing popular music into the scene) for added realism and/or depth. If they could afford better than either of these three then the next natural choice would be Hans Zimmer, but I'm not sure if his tone would be too epic for a Mistborn series.

I focused mainly on the composers, but for sound design it's really hard to narrow down. I like the idea of adding musical cues to their powers and providing the characters with unique sound-scapes.

Edited by Immortal

• 1 month later...

In my mind Vin has always looked like Noomi Rapace. She might be a bit old now, but that's definitely what i imagined.

Sazed has always been sort of Persian looking. So slightly dark skin, but not black. Tall, bald head, with a striking nose and large earlobes. No idea who could play this though....

While I like Ellen Page I think Dakota Fanning would make a better Vin. Particularly now that she's grown up. Also, Fanning is just a damnation good actress.

For Kelsier I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Fassbender in that role. Guy's got swagger.

Going by the description I can remember of Elend, James McAvoy comes to mind as a likely candidate.

In my mind Vin has always looked like Noomi Rapace. She might be a bit old now, but that's definitely what i imagined.

Sazed has always been sort of Persian looking. So slightly dark skin, but not black. Tall, bald head, with a striking nose and large earlobes. No idea who could play this though....

Noomi Rapace will be associated with her role as Lizbeth to me. I haven't seen her in much else to make a distinction.

As for Sazed, Ben Kingsley could fit the description you just gave. Of course, he'll have to lose the facial hair.

Edited by Lyrebon

While I like Ellen Page I think Dakota Fanning would make a better Vin. Particularly now that she's grown up. Also, Fanning is just a damnation good actress.

I've also been thinking of someone like Dakota Fanning as Vin. She's a great actress, and she's a petite size, so I think it would work out pretty well.

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy for the first time, so the idea of what a movie would look like has definitely been bouncing around my head. My ideas for casting are a little different than those mentioned before. They might even make a few people scratch their heads or outright call me a fool, but hey, that's what a good discussion board is for right?

Here are just a few choices for now until I can figure out the rest.

Vin: Amandla Stenberg (Rue, Hunger Games) When I first heard she was cast for the role of Rue in Hunger Games I was surprised that such an unknown was cast for such a central character, but watching the movie I was impressed. I think she could definitely handle the part. Plus she does have the physical attributes that I pictured in Vin.

Elend: Rubert Grint (Ron Weasley, Harry Potter franchise) Stick with me on this. When we first get to know Elend, he is something of a slacker with his ill-fitting suits and long hair. In my mind this always fit an image similar to Ron in the Potter films. Now take that image and imagine what it would look like after Elend's transformation through WoA and into HoA. A better haircut and improved posture... I don't know, it could work. (For some reason I always pictured Elend as red-haired)

Sazed: Lenny Kravitz (Cinna, Hunger Games) Another Hunger Games and another pleasant surprise. I thought he did a very good job as a teacher/mentor in that film, and that it could translate to a similar role in Mistborn.

Kelsier: Alexander Skarsgard (Eric, True Blood) From what I have seen of him so far he can go from ruthless and vindictive to smiling and caring with amazing ease. Somehow this just seems to fit for me.

Ham: Kevin Durand (Red, Wild Hogs) Just from his look in Wild Hogs, tell me that isn't exactly how Ham is described right down to the shirt-less vest.

Straff Venture: Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy, Harry Potter franchise) Just because he does evil so well.

Other actors I would like to see, but not sure were yet: Nathan Fillion (just like many others), Alan Rickman, and Bill Nighy.

I will now let you all go to IMDb to research this list of names...

I've always pictured Aaron Eckhart as Kel - definitely can pull off cheery, and vengeful.

Plus he fits the description pretty well if I remember correctly.

Why did I not think of this guy? Excellent suggestion.

@jjesnson: I disagree with Rupert Grint as Elend, strongly. For one I don't think Grint can pull off the kind of charm Elend exudes. Not to say Grint is a bad actor, he's not great though, and Elend will be one of the hardest characters, alongside Vin, to actually characterize.

He's full of subtleties and undercurrents of tension I haven't seen Grint able to master in any of his roles. Plus, Grint is fairly new to the big screen in terms of diversity, I don't think he's yet matured enough to adapt like veteran or natural actors can. We'll probably end up with the same bumbling fool Ron Weasley than the sharp, cynical, Elend Venture.

Edited by Lyrebon

@Lyrebon

I will say that was a very well thought out and written objection to Grint being Elend. Infinitely better than the "you're an idiot" flame war that can sometimes start on other forums with less educated members.

With that said I will still stick with my choice (unless I find someone I think is better). I knew when I wrote my list that it would make a few people stare in confusion. As I said before, I pictured Elend as red-haired and at first being kind of a bumbling spoiled brat similar to Ron in the first few films. In my opinion Elend doesn't begin to mature as a person until about the point when Tindwyl is trying to get him to cut his hair, and he has to see his own reflection before he realizes that she is right.

I do have to disagree in that I think Grint did a respectable job of progressing Ron to a more mature role especially in the last two films. Honestly, I don't think the source material or the screen writers helped him any with developing the character of Ron in the first place.

The more I think of it Nathan Fillion fits the role of Breeze. He's not so much the action star that he played in Firefly anymore. Watching him in Castle he has become more of the suave, sophisticated person that people are naturally attracted to and tend to follow. Sounds like Breeze to me.

As for The Lord Ruler, I think I would cast Alan Rickman in part just to hear his droll voice say the line "Those are very hard to replace" (about the inquisitor Kelsier had just killed, right before Kelsier is killed himself). Also he tends to look old and young at the same time in most of his roles anyways.

Bill Nighy could also, maybe, pull of TLR, just because he has done some decent villain work before, but maybe he would make a better Clubs.

Now I just need to figure out who would make a good Spook...

I think I said this awhile ago but I was watching the mentalist and I couldnt help myself Simon Bakers character in that show is Breeze, pretty much exactly. He is smarter than more influental than and appears generally better than everyone around him despite having no real authority everyone just does what he wants when he wants, he is Breeze, although in some episodes he displays a sort of dark brooding that would fit kelsier if he could pull off the action hero image. However I think Mat Damon could do a good Kelsier as well intelligent leader forceful can do witty sometimes...

At the risk of being coin-shot for mentioning her name, I think Kristen Stewart could portray Vin (physically) very well. She's got the boyish looks while still being stunningly attractive, the incredibly slim build, and short height. She also scowls a lot, and shows very little emotion in her expressions most of the time - which is Vin all over.

The downside, of course, is that her acting is mediocre at the best of times. I don't think she could really pull the character off. And that's such a shame, because physically she's perfect. Her looks with Ellen Page's acting would be perfect. I think Ellen is an incredible actress, but her face is too round to portray Vin. Especially throughout the first half of Mistborn where she's a malnourished, gaunt, and beaten girl. Hopefully they can discover a new actress who's a perfect fit in all accounts and blow us away.

kristen-stewart-hollywood-actress-7.jpg

@Darkstorne

I think you gave the best reason for why Kristen Stewart shouldn't be Vin. She really is mediocre at best and only has one expression on her face when she acts. Maybe she could play Shan Elariel? I think people would like that...

@Darkstorne

I think you gave the best reason for why Kristen Stewart shouldn't be Vin. She really is mediocre at best and only has one expression on her face when she acts. Maybe she could play Shan Elariel? I think people would like that...

Yup, that's why I pointed out she's only a good match visually, and it's a shame she wouldn't be able to pull off the role.

And oh dear. An in-your-face reputation system. What a fantastic way to stifle discussion. Either your opinion falls in line with the majority, or you get punished for it. That's a little odd for fans of Elend's democracy over the Lord Ruler's oppression, isn't it? :P

At the risk of being coin-shot for mentioning her name, I think Kristen Stewart...

NO! But go on.

...could portray Vin (physically) very well. She's got the boyish looks while still being stunningly attractive, the incredibly slim build, and short height. She also scowls a lot, and shows very little emotion in her expressions most of the time - which is Vin all over.

The downside, of course, is that her acting is mediocre at the best of times. I don't think she could really pull the character off. And that's such a shame, because physically she's perfect. Her looks with Ellen Page's acting would be perfect. I think Ellen is an incredible actress, but her face is too round to portray Vin. Especially throughout the first half of Mistborn where she's a malnourished, gaunt, and beaten girl. Hopefully they can discover a new actress who's a perfect fit in all accounts and blow us away.

*snip*

I'm glad you noticed that about Kristen too. I hate when they cast an actor purely for their looks and they botch the character up with their lack of acting skills. Acting is not an easy thing, I'll give you that - Light knows I struggled with it in college - but it's no excuse to throw in a person based purely on their aesthetics.

Glad I didn't have to beat you over the head there :P

EDIT: I also up-voted you, it should offset the negative rep but I do agree with that post also.

Edited by Lyrebon

Someone posted their Mistborn cast on tumblr that I replied to here: http://featherwriter.tumblr.com/post/27967504797/mistborn-dreamcast (my comments are that novel of text at the bottom)

After reading this thread, I think my dream cast would be something like this:

Kelsier: Tom Hiddleston

Sorry. I'm a Hiddles fangirl. And KChan convinced me on this one. He's somewhat become Kelsier for me. Though there have been some really awesome Kel suggestions in this thread, that I might be persuaded to jump ships. Or at least, not be too sad if it wasn't Tom.

Vin: Chloë Grace Mortiz or Dakota Fanning

Both of these girls could play Vin well, I think.

Elend: James McAvoy?

I don't really have any strong feelings here, so peer pressure! He seems a bit old for Elend though. Honestly, Jack Frost from the new

movie is the best fit for Elend in my head, but he's animated. And his voice is too deep. Dang. I really need to find a good Elend.

Marsh: Adam Baldwin

Let's hop on the Firefly bandwagon here. My only worry is that if I've got Hiddles as Kelsier, that Adam doesn't look much like him. Oh well, they could pull it off.

Dockson: Colin Firth

Oh, I wish he was a bit younger though. He'd be a great Dox. That flat, dry, only-sane-man personality would suit him perfectly.

Breeze: Robert Downey Jr.

My mom was the one who suggested RDJ as Breeze actually, and I liked the idea. He's a bit to old to play Kelsier, but he'd work well as Breeze.

Ham: Chris Hemsworth

You have to admit he's built for it. He also seems to have quite the gentle side and I think he could pull of Ham's sweet but strong personality really well. (On an unfortunate side note: Chris's imdb page says that there's a Snow White and the Huntsman 2 announced. What in the world? I didn't even see it, but my friends have told me the first was laughably bad.)

Clubs: No idea

Sorry. I just can't find anyone that fits.

Sazed: Also no idea

Sorry, Saze! You're hard to cast!

The Lord Ruler: Sean Maher

Firefly cast part 2! I've always pictured a young Lord Ruler, so when someone suggested Sean, it fit perfectly for me.

Spook: Colin Morgan

He'd be a bit old for Spook in The Final Empire, but he would totally nail him for the last two books. Colin as the Survivor of Flames? Yes. It'd be perfect.

Edited by FeatherWriter

I like your list Feather. There's not much I disagree on if anything. The only one I wouldn't consider is Sean Maher as the Lord Ruler. I don't think I've ever tried to envision TLR in terms of actor analogues though and Maher is a good actor. For Kelsier I'm between Fassbender and Hiddleston but I can absolutely agree on Chris Hemsworth playing Hammond far better than Matt Cohen.

Edited by Lyrebon

• 2 weeks later...

I like James McAvoy as Elend but I think Robert Downey Jr.'s presence in the cast (even as Breeze) would overwhelm the rest of the actors, simply because his reputation as Iron Man (in the franchise and in The Avengers), plus as Sherlock Holmes (in recent films) is way too present. Further, I can't support Dakota Fanning as Vin because she just doesn't have the grit I think necessary to the role. Also, I'm not a fan of Adam Baldwin. If it came down to a choice between brothers, William would be my choice for the role of Marsh. Why? In a word, Sliver!

Clubs? Jackie Earle Haley, of course! (I've asserted this elsewhere - i.e.: in another query of the same nature!)

Sazed needs to be someone like Billy Bob Thornton (i.e.: skinny, lanky, removed from the mainstream and ... unpredictable, but ultimately completely trustworthy).

Ham needs to be fatter and older than Chris Hemsworth. (I still don't have a suggestion for this role.)

Vin: This actress needs to be someone who is fearless, dark, slight, aggressive, and deceptive. These are characteristics I'd appreciate; these are characteristics I know others would demand of me knowledge.

Vin ... might be someone I don't yet know.

Well, for actresses who are already established, for Vin I vote Jennifer Lawrence. She has the look of Vin, and the acting she did in the Hunger Games shows that she would be wonderful at capturing Vin's personality as well. Jennifer Lawrence for Vin!

However, if there is a casting for actresses that are not yet established, I would like to say that I would love to be Vin. Our personalities are very similar and I think that I look just as Vin is described in the books. I think it would be fun... (:

I like James McAvoy as Elend but I think Robert Downey Jr.'s presence in the cast (even as Breeze) would overwhelm the rest of the actors, simply because his reputation as Iron Man (in the franchise and in The Avengers), plus as Sherlock Holmes (in recent films) is way too present. Further, I can't support Dakota Fanning as Vin because she just doesn't have the grit I think necessary to the role. Also, I'm not a fan of Adam Baldwin. If it came down to a choice between brothers, William would be my choice for the role of Marsh. Why? In a word, Sliver!

Clubs? Jackie Earle Haley, of course! (I've asserted this elsewhere - i.e.: in another query of the same nature!)

Sazed needs to be someone like Billy Bob Thornton (i.e.: skinny, lanky, removed from the mainstream and ... unpredictable, but ultimately completely trustworthy).

Ham needs to be fatter and older than Chris Hemsworth. (I still don't have a suggestion for this role.)

Vin: This actress needs to be someone who is fearless, dark, slight, aggressive, and deceptive. These are characteristics I'd appreciate; these are characteristics I know others would demand of me knowledge.

Vin ... might be someone I don't yet know.

You can't forget her paranoia. Vin needs to be someone who, while being dark, slight, agressive and deceptive, needs to always be on edge. Vin trusts no one. She believes that everyone will leave her (ha, I know how that goes.) She is very distant from others. Vin needs to be someone who can show that.

Please don't double post. -Rubix

Edited by Rubix
Double Post

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, hate me for fast-following this feed without reading anything. All I have to say with regard to the Mistborn movie is that I don't think it will ever happen. I'm sorry to say this but, even though I haven't yet read it, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series still commands more attention, even though Brandon has written the concluding volumes of the epic. Dare I say that there's a greater chance of WoT becoming a film epic (just as ASoIaF has become for G.R.R.M/)? I don't know ... but I'm not hopeful.

Not to derail, but I would say there is no chance of the entire WoT being made into something, there is too much material. Look how much they had to cut from LOTR and that was only 3 books and the movies were huge. Game of Thrones is an interesting take since they are turning the novels into a series, and that to me is the only effective way to handle so much information. Though, I haven't seen but one episode so I don't know how much they are having to take out.

Okay, hate me for fast-following this feed without reading anything. All I have to say with regard to the Mistborn movie is that I don't think it will ever happen. I'm sorry to say this but, even though I haven't yet read it, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series still commands more attention, even though Brandon has written the concluding volumes of the epic. Dare I say that there's a greater chance of WoT becoming a film epic (just as ASoIaF has become for G.R.R.M/)? I don't know ... but I'm not hopeful.

But Mistborn is a trilogy that could easily be turned into a trilogy of films, and Brandon's works are gaining much more notoriety within the community, in his own right if not for being attached to WoT.

The chances that a WoT movie will happen over the Mistborn movie are negligible. No studio would ever have the finances to makes 14 movies AND retain audience interest. Even the fans of WoT believe some books drag on, how would the general movie-goer feel?

And I believe Brandon has already sold the film rights to Paloppa Pictures and they've drafted several screen plays already (http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1074/Mistborn-Movie-Update-and-Hugo-Nomination).