Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

With a hair dye I'd like to see Saoirse Ronan play Vin. She has been in City of Ember and more recently Hanna. The girl from Kick @$$ is just a little too round to play vin. By round I don't mean fat. She's just too soft looking not to mention a tad too young looking to play vin. Summer Glau is ok, but I think she doesn't seem right for the role.

Although it might be nice to see a fresh, unknown actress who just happens to fit better than any of these known actresses.

For Breeze I'd almost picture Aiden Gillen (Game of Thrones) but he's on the skinny side for Breeze

Ham - I could see Jason Statham (spelling?)

Edited by JcmIV

Is it so wrong that I want to see Nathan play as Miles? He always seems to play a good guy (Captain Reynolds, Castle, etc). He plays a great cowboy but I'd like to see him go bad too.

Wrong? No. And he makes a fine villain - Caleb was classic in Buffy S7.

However, I find his persona a better match for Wax, and his looks a flawed match fr either one, so I solidly disagree. Is that so wrong?

Unless there's something I really missed about ranches on Shadow, also minus the being a nobleman, but yeah. Let's just say there's a reason I went through my old Firefly RPG adventures for inspiration when I began plotting an Alloy of Law-era game. And a reason it sparked much better ideas than similar experiments with Deadlands, Dresden Files, and Eberron.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. You know which Firefly actor really does need to be in a Final Empire movie? Adam Baldwin as Ham. I've never seen him as a nice character, it'd be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I say John Stamos (uncle Jesse from Full House) would be a good pick for Kelsier. Nathan Fillion is a fine actor, but he's just not right for the role.

As for Vin, I vote Dakota Fanning. She's young, she fits the physical description, and we know her to be a good actress.

Ideally, I'd cast John Cleese as Breeze. Can you think of a better fit?

Ham should definitely go to Dwane Johnson. A fair few people have voted for Vin Diesel, but he's always been to straight-laced and frankly shallow for the role.

Guest Jacob Santos

'cause no character has ever been played by two actors in different movies. *cough*JamesBond*cough*

It could be argued, pedantically, that James Bond is a code name given along with the 007 number. Whether or not this is the case, it doesn't really matter other than the recognition it would provide.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised that, given the Doctor Who love shown early on, no one's branched out. Matt Smith has that perfect lankiness and absentmindedness for Elend. Arthur Darvill may be a bit on the old side, but he generally looks and acts exactly like Spook should. John Barrowman would also be well suited to the irritating optimism of Kelsier. And finally, Burn Gorman's unique face would be brilliant with Inquisitor spikes.

Reading through these, I can't really picture any of these people in Mistborn =/ Most everyone brought up feels too old. I don't think anyone in Mistborn is far past thirty. Most of the cast is in their early twenties, aren't they? I don't see the point of just shoe-horning actors we like into the roles of our favorite characters.

I'm sorry, I have a deep personal grudge against Natalie Portman for what she did to V for Vendetta. She was absolutely wrong for that role, she cannot pull off the innocent thing nearly as well as people give her credit for. Age aside, it would be exactly the same if she were to play Vin. She just doesn't have the right feel. Although, admittedly, I feel she could pull off Shan well enough. I always pictured Shan as being a little older than Vin and Elend, although I'm not really sure why.

I like Alexa Davalos for Vin. Or Lyndsy Fonseca, but she may be a little too pretty.

Is it so wrong that I want to see Nathan play as Miles? He always seems to play a good guy (Captain Reynolds, Castle, etc). He plays a great cowboy but I'd like to see him go bad too.

Watch season Seven of Buffy. Nathan Fillion plays a minion of the Big Bad, and he is a nasty, nasty bastard. One of the best villains the show ever had. He can totally play a bad guy.

But he does count under the colloquial use of the term "bad guy."

Edit: Having given it further thought, I'd actually argue that in this case both apply. Antagonist is usually defined as the individual working against the protagonist, the hero, or both. Hammer is a go for that. The villain tends to be defined as a character who does evil. Captain Hammer fits that bill as well: he pursues Penny so he can have sex with her, he mistreats her, his crime fighting activities are specifically for self-aggrandizement, he expresses the desire to psychologically harm "Billy" even when our dear Doctor isn't engaging in criminal activity, and eventually intends to kill the Doctor.

To be fair, Hammer is probably a little more of an antivillain than a straight up villain, but close enough.

Edited by Thought

Way late... But Deus Ex Biotica had the best picks EVER for AOL, as for mistborn, I saw somebody mention Liam Neeson for Kelsier, which is cool, but I think I'd rather him as Clubs. As for Kelsier, I like the guy who played Faramir/spartan guy from 300. I can't see anyone playing Vin the way I pictured her, and I love Chloe Moretz, but only in comedy roles. She was awesome in kickass and 500 days of summer, and looks good in dark shadows, but I didn't really like her in let me in or Hugo, her more dramatic roles.

I know it's slightly off-topic, but what about the music? Having a good score for the film is just as important as having good actors.

I was thinking of something similar to LoTR where the composer assigned small snipets of music to each character and location, and incorporated them every time they appeared on screeen. For Mistborn they could do the same for the characters and add a rhythm for each of the allomantic powers; kind of like bronze pulses. It'd go a long way towards helping the audience keep track of who's using what power, even if they aren't paying attention.

I know it's slightly off-topic, but what about the music? Having a good score for the film is just as important as having good actors.

I was thinking of something similar to LoTR where the composer assigned small snipets of music to each character and location, and incorporated them every time they appeared on screeen. For Mistborn they could do the same for the characters and add a rhythm for each of the allomantic powers; kind of like bronze pulses. It'd go a long way towards helping the audience keep track of who's using what power, even if they aren't paying attention.

I was thinking something more like the soundtrack to Firefly.

Of course, I think all soundtracks should be more like the soundtrack to Firefly...

• 2 weeks later...

I could see Ellen Page, just because we've seen she's able to play characters that go from uncertain to very sure about themselves. I'd worry that Summer looks too mature - but could totally nail the physical aspects of the roll. I only bring up age because Vin's what, 16-22ish throughout the trilogy? Not that character age has stopped casting before...

All that said, I'm such a fan of no-name actors being brought in for epic movies of epicness. (which this would totally be, just sayin' ;) )

I agree Summer is too mature for the role. I like Emily Browning for Vin.

Edited by Chaos