Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

My wife and I were discussing this the other day and settled on a potentially awesome actor for Kelsier:

David Wenham

He's an Aussie actor (you might know him as the storytelling Spartan in 300, but he's been in a bunch of other things. Not sure about how he would look in action sequences since I can't think of too many aside from 300 (where I don't recall actually seeing him 'fight' in any scenes), but:

• His acting is excellent
  • His voice has a certain 'refined' quality that would work well for an ex-scammer of noblemen
  • He's quite skilled at accents (for example, can hide his Aussie accent quite well), which allows him to avoid the number 1 problem with Australian actors in Hollywood movies (they sound terrible - see Rachel Taylor in Transformers for proof)
  • Plus he's blonde, which is a bonus since Kelsier is supposed to be as well

I can really see him as the kind of person who would lecture Vin about trust, and I can really see him setting up a character that unsuspecting viewers would grow to love over the course of the (first) movie, only to have to watch him die near the end.

In a completely unrelated manner, I would pay any amount of money to see the Kelsier vs Inquisitor fight from just before his death on film. Particularly the part where the Inquisitor throws the cage at him :D

My wife and I were discussing this the other day and settled on a potentially awesome actor for Kelsier:

David Wenham

He's an Aussie actor (you might know him as the storytelling Spartan in 300, but he's been in a bunch of other things.

I clicked through to that link and immediately said... "OMG, it's Faramir!"

Which of course made me think "Hmm... Sean Bean as Marsh? Nahh."

I've yet to see 300 (TRAVESTY, I KNOW!), so I suppose I should actually see him in more than one role before I decide whether I could see him as Kelsier. Interesting thought, though. :D

I clicked through to that link and immediately said... "OMG, it's Faramir!"

Which of course made me think "Hmm... Sean Bean as Marsh? Nahh."

I've yet to see 300 (TRAVESTY, I KNOW!), so I suppose I should actually see him in more than one role before I decide whether I could see him as Kelsier. Interesting thought, though. :D

Hot damnation I forgot that he was Faramir. That was one of the major points-in-favour from the discussion that my previous post arose from. *slaps self*

But not seeing 300 is hardly a travesty. Personally I love it for its stylised violence, clever storytelling, and because I'm an Ancient History major and it's a 're imagining' of one of my favourite moments in Ancient Greek history, but I can imagine that some dislike it for its loose-treatment of history, and its over-the-top violence, and its totally-unnecessary sex-scene (seriously, completely pointless).

Also, Sean Bean would be too predictable as Marsh. Sean Bean *always* plays unlikely-traitor characters in movies. I mean, Goldeneye, Lord of the Rings, National Treasure... the list goes on... although, if he WAS Marsh, people might guess he would betray them and be totally surprised when he doesn't. Hmmm...

Edited by Unworldly

And if people haven't read the books, they will predict that Marsh will die because he's played by Sean Bean. :lol:

But hey, David Wenham! Unconventional choice for Kelsier, but it can actually work. Hrmmm...

There's also Kevin McKidd. He appears in Grey's Anatomy. I don't watch that, but I've seen him in some movies. He might also work as Kelsier.

She seems a little old for the part. Isn't she like twice Vin's age?

She's 30. But it wouldn't be the first time that actors near/in their 30's play teenagers, I mean just look at all those teen drama shows :D

Besides, between all the make up and the darkness, I think she'd be wonderful :D

She even reminds me a bit of the Vin from the book covers.

Simon Baker from the Mentalist would make a pretty awesome Breeze, his appearance might not be quite right, but thats easily fixed and his character in the mentalist is pretty much just breeze but cop.

Although, if he could pull off the vengeful aspect he also looks a lot like Kelsier and could pull off the rest of the character as well, and RDJ would also make an awesome Breeze if he was willing to be a side character in the first movie...

I've given great consideration for my dream cast, though if you have better ideas, please share ;D

Vin: Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Sazed: Djimon Hounsou

Kelsier: Robert Downey Jr.

The Lord Ruler: Michael Fassbender

Ham: Dwayne Johnson

Spook: Jay Baruchel or Ryan Cartwright or Paul Dano

Marsh: Ralph Fiennes or Jeremy Renner

Elend Venture: James McAvoy

Straff Venture: Lambert Wilson

Clubs: Bill Nighy

Breeze: James Spader

Dockson: Philip Seymour Hoffman

I've given great consideration for my dream cast, though if you have better ideas, please share ;D

Vin: Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Sazed: Djimon Hounsou

Kelsier: Robert Downey Jr.

The Lord Ruler: Michael Fassbender

Ham: Dwayne Johnson

Spook: Jay Baruchel or Ryan Cartwright or Paul Dano

Marsh: Ralph Fiennes or Jeremy Renner

Elend Venture: James McAvoy

Straff Venture: Lambert Wilson

Clubs: Bill Nighy

Breeze: James Spader

Dockson: Philip Seymour Hoffman

Immortal, I really like James Spader as Breeze, though in my mind I always pictured him as similar to Oliver Platt.

I also LOVE the idea of Jay Baruchel as Spook. That just clicked for me.

For Dox, I can see Craig Horner.

Not sure about anyone else, though!

Immortal, I really like James Spader as Breeze, though in my mind I always pictured him as similar to Oliver Platt.

I also LOVE the idea of Jay Baruchel as Spook. That just clicked for me.

For Dox, I can see Craig Horner.

Not sure about anyone else, though!

I came very close to using Craig Horner for Marsh, if only because I wanted to see spikes driven through his eyes for ruining Legend of the Seeker for me.:angry: LOL, but seriously that's some good ideas, I could totally see Oliver Platt in the role!

I came very close to using Craig Horner for Marsh, if only because I wanted to see spikes driven through his eyes for ruining Legend of the Seeker for me.:angry: LOL, but seriously that's some good ideas, I could totally see Oliver Platt in the role!

Hahaha. It wasn't his fault - though he didn't look at all like Richard (to me, at least). I thought he did a good enough job. I blame Raimi.

Yes, Oliver Platt is the only one I'd be sad not to see in the role. :D

Hahaha. It wasn't his fault - though he didn't look at all like Richard (to me, at least). I thought he did a good enough job. I blame Raimi.

Yes, Oliver Platt is the only one I'd be sad not to see in the role. :D

Very true, it's just the personality of Richard as he portrayed him was WAYYYY too optimistic and happy go lucky, you almost never saw the "raptor glare", ugh.

Guys! Guys! Guys! Chill! I'm from the internet, I got this, don't worry! :P

Kelsier: Liam Neeson - just think a minute about it. He may be a little old for the role, but I don't think it make him unsuitable. He have the right "father figure" type, can do REALLY well a badass type and I think he have enough experience as a deep character like Kelsier. He don't have the right looks as I imagined for Kelsier, but I think that is the most irrelevant point.

Vin: Don't really know... I liked the suggestion of Natalie Portman, but I think she may be too old for the job. I think she have the dramatic qualities, though.

Hamm: Vinn Diesel - the right body type for a Thug, and I think he have the right charisma for this type of character.

Marsh: Michael Fassbender - really, the guy is awesome. I think this is the perfect choice. Plus, he would look kick-chull as an inquisitor.

Breeze: Nathan Fillion - that's EXACTLY the role he dominates as. Perfect for him (and Breeze is one of my favorite characters, so... :P ).

Clubs: Clint Eastwood - someone suggested it already and I couldn't take it of my head. Perfect.

Elend: James McAvoy - alright. He is a good actor and I think he got what is needed to play Elend.

I'm officially changing Ham to Adam Baldwin. It even fits with overall "Who should we cast from Firefly" vibe :P

I also like the thought of Liam Neeson in the movie, I was hedging for him on Kelsier and/or Dockson. I'm feeling the middle aged Kelsier.

Also I was thinking about it last night and thought that Keith David would make a good addition to the cast, but I'm not sure where he'd fit in, it's just his voice is so epic, y'know?

Edited by Immortal

Summer Glau as VIN

Reasons: She's definitely athletic enough as she has tons of dance-background. Also, she has a very aloof way about her and is generally a very quiet person as a whole (not just as her character of River in "Firefly" but just like when she's being interviewed). I think she'd be perfect and she doesn't look out of the age range, even though she technically kind of is.

Nathan Fillion as... well. He can definitely be Kelsier. But, I wouldn't be opposed to just seeing him in the movie. He'd be a great fit in a Mistborn film.

I'm officially changing Ham to Adam Baldwin. It even fits with overall "Who should we cast from Firefly" vibe :P

I also like the thought of Liam Neeson in the movie, I was hedging for him on Kelsier and/or Dockson. I'm feeling the middle aged Kelsier.

Also I was thinking about it last night and thought that Keith David would make a good addition to the cast, but I'm not sure where he'd fit in, it's just his voice is so epic, y'know?

Cast everyone from Firefly.

Sean Maher as Elend? xD

Nathan Fillion as... well. He can definitely be Kelsier. But, I wouldn't be opposed to just seeing him in the movie. He'd be a great fit in a Mistborn film.

Nah, I am keeping Nathan Fillion in reserve to play Lightsong in Warbreaker.

I like the suggestion of Hailee Steinfeld as Vin. She was amazing in True Grit. Jennifer Lawrence, who's playing Katniss in the Hunger Games, might also be good in the role. I thought she did a good job in X-Men.