Mid-Range Game 2: Servants of Honor

Renegade

I keep meaning to join up, but I keep getting sidetracked! I figure I'd better do it now while I'm thinking about it or else I'm going to forget again and won't have time!

There's one in every town, since the beginning of towns. It just so happened that Telmont happened to actually have one that was correct! Metam was a doomsayer and now that a Desolation was on the way, he not only went around telling people that The End Was Near, but also, "I TOLD YOU SO!"  

Welcome, welcome! We now have fourteen players, and we certainly wouldn't mind several more.

The player list in post #3 of this thread is once again up to date. I've taken the liberty of attaching a few colorful descriptors to some of the characters, the latest example being "Famed Gamin the temporally confused street urchin" since he's referencing places that don't exist in the Silver Kingdoms Epoch. Here are a few of the "exotic" names used, and the local equivalents that the map provides. ;)

I am no regular street urchin, mind you. I have been to the lands of Shinovar Shin Kak Nish and back! I have climbed the peaks of the Misted Mountains in the west, I have been to the famed City of Shadows, Rall Elorin, and I have glimpsed the mysteries that lie within it's darkened walls! From Aimia to the Reshi Ises the Rishir Isles, From Azir Makabakam to Thaylenah Thalath to the northern reaches of Herdaz Rishir (Again. Perhaps Iri would be better?)! Famed Gamin has lied, begged, cheated, stolen, and puppy-eyed his way across the entire continent and back dozens of times! My wild and bold exploits have made me equally famous and infamous all over the world! I have been to the Horneater Peaks and swam in their sacred pools, I have walked across the Shattered Plains and back, I have captured spren and voidbringers alike, charming them with my wits and bravery, making them spill the secrets of the Other Worlds to me, I have had a cup of tea with the Nightwatcher herself, and called the stormfather a bloody fool to his face. I am Famed Gamin! Hear me roar!

I'll join! I will decide on a character when I get to my computer later.

Edit: Tunnib the Mercenary was not a nice man, he liked to kill and did not hesitate to do so, targets and clients alike. He often went through with his missions only to go back for his reward and a little extra as he usually put it. This time though, he had been promised far more than usual, including a gruesome death if he did things the usual way. He would probably refrain this time... His mission had been to go to the village and await further orders, but no orders had arrived for a week now. Was this a ruse of some sort? Anyway, he could just pass the time drinking at the local Tavern, mabye this was just paid vacation...

Edited by Binnut

Ren--I apologise, but due to RL reasons, it looks like I'm going to have to pull out of this game. I simply don't think I'm going to have the time to commit even though this looks interesting. However, if you're doing up a spec doc, I'd gladly like to request to be in on it.

I hope this doesn't cause any trouble :/

Alright then; I can extend the sign-ups to this Thursday or Saturday, if nobody objects.  Might be best to wait anyways, as 14 people is not much for a Mid-Range game anyway (or at least, much less than I had planned).

Still, if you do want to join, sign up soon!

Edited by Renegade

"Wassing of the having of wrongness?" The Famed Gamin asked the weird man trying to question, doubt, and correct him. How storming rude of him, he huffed. "You must not know who I am," Famed Gamin tried to patiently explain, "so I'll let it slide this time."

"I am The Famed Gamin!" He shouted triumphantly, raising his arms and jumping up and splashing in the puddles with his bright yellow boots. "I have been around for longer than you count, and I have traveled lands you'll never even hear of! I've gone to and fro and back again, whilst being awesome the entire time, wayyy before other people thought it was cool. I have begged and scraped by in every city and have made even the sternest, cold-hearted widows swoon at my patented craft of appearing cute and helpless. I have witnessed the killing of kings and the harrowing rescues of princesses. I'm the most gosh darn loveable, precocious scamp you will ever meet!"

The Famed Gamin ran up to a random stranger who was lurking nearby and touched them with a finger. "Tag, you're it!" He exclaimed and ran away humming to himself.

After he rounded the corner and pulled out the purse he had filched from the person. Only a few storming spheres? He thought indignantly. What a bummer.
-------------

Ha! Even The Famed Gamin can worm his way out of being anachronistic! :P  Also, extra incentive for whoever signs up next, you get to enter into an automatic RP back and forth with your character and The Famed Gamin! How will you react to me pickpocketing you? ;)

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Metam swung his sign at anyone who passed on his side of the street. 

"THE END IS NIGH!" He shouted to the helpless masses. "THE DESOLATION COMES! REPENT AND BE SAVED BY.... By.... Ummm, by the Heralds! YES! THAT'S IT! BE SAVED BY THE HERALDS!"

Metam swung and he preached. He knew that this time he was right.

...But for some reason, this Desolation just wasn't cooperating. It seemed that, though he was telling the truth, this Desolation, the Final Desolation, was dragging its feet. 

Metam stopped his swinging and screaming and pondered this for a moment. It was like some unseen hand was at play here and was pushing it back. 

Well, that would never do. How was Metam supposed to be an accurate prophet of the apocalypse if the apocalypse never came! 

He dropped his sign (written in multiple languages. He would save everyone if possible) and also dropped to his knees. With both fear and anticipation in his heart, he raised his hands to the sky and shouted, "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?" 

...The heavens remained silent to his plea. 

The sky began to rumble, and a stern face appeared, looking down at the doomsayer.

PATIENCE, YOUNG ONEThe clouds boomed, and Metam dropped his sign, looking at the face.  The Stormfather.  THE END OF ALL THINGS APPROACHES.  A DESOLATION WILL COME SOON ENOUGH, AND YOU WILL ALL BE DOOMED.  The clouds began to rumble, as if laughing at the poor mortals' fate.  A PITY, YES, AND IF I COULD DO ANYTHING TO STOP IT, I WOULD.  The face frowned, contemplating.  HOWEVER, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HELP.  YOU ARE DOOMED.  I'M SORRY.

With that, the Stormfather left, clouds disappearing, the sun once again beating down on the petty humans.

I'm hesitant to join this one since I'm going to college this weekend, but you need another member, so here goes nothing. I won't be that active, but I'll try to check in on occasion.

Gart wasn't too concerned about the man pickpocketing him. He was mostly penniless anyways. He was a lot more concerned with the voice coming from the heavens. It was the Stormfather himself. He knelt in prayer bowing toward the sky. He was an ardent, and he had heard his God.

I'm signing up also so hopefully more people will join and the game can start.

Tahrin Resten got off of the latest boat and entered a tavern named The Eye of the Storm. His brother, who lived somewhere in Alethela, sent him a letter telling him to come all the way from Valhav so that they could talk. Tahrin knew it was something bad, but his brother hadn't given a single hint what it was. So Tahrin sat in the tavern drinking and waiting.

The Famed Gamin paused in the streets as he rounded the corner, taking a second to look back behind him to see the random man's reaction to being pick-pocketed. To his dismay the man just absentmindedly patted himself down and shrugged off the missing pouch of spheres. Guess he's not actually missing that much, Famed Gamin thought, hefting the light purse, feeling only a few, small spheres rolling around in the pouch. They're probably duns too. Although he did wonder how long it would take the man to realize that he had replaced the pouch with a sack fulled with chull dung.

He shrugged and moved his way down the littered alleyway, avoiding the piles of trash and debris that had built up from the various highstorms that frequently rolled through the area. He didn't know what he was doing so far east, near where the storms hit their hardest, knowing that living on the streets was rather difficult when the roads were flooded, and those without proper shelter were buffeted by strong, frigid winds. Finding a place to hide out from the stormwall was key to survival. The Famed Gamin knew he better make some sort of nest soon.

What about the inn? He asked himself, eying the Eye of the Storm tavern, wondering if there was some sort of Cellar he could sneak into over the nights. He looked at the Madame who was standing at the stoop, trying her best to look warm and inviting to the influx of visitors that had been pouring into the town the last few days. I wonder if she's nice?

The Famed Gamin was distracted by his thoughts as he heard some shouting nearby, as some crazed man was kneeling on the ground and shouting up to the sky, praising the Stormfather and warning all who would listen about the impending Desolation. There's always one in every city....he thought, stepping warily away from the doomsayer. I'll just do my best to avoid him.

The Cellar lives.

From where Quismet was standing, her observant eyes saw the scrawny boy pick the pocket of a random stranger. She chuckled. Oh how she remembered those days when she used to do the exact same thing. She smiled at the newcomers, dispersing her girls to the customers who need a little more care. One man in a corner looked to be waiting for someone or something...so she ordered one of her girls to ensure that the man's doom and gloom mood is lifted.

She looked back at observing the boy in a corner of her eye and she can see him observing her. She smiled. He must be hungry. It doesn't look like that was a fat pocket there earlier. She knew for sure that she wouldn't have attempted to pick that man's pocket at all. Experience on the streets had taught her to discern the better marks from those who would just waste her effort and charm.

Whispering to Rishi, one of her tavern maids, she ordered the boy brought to the back of the tavern to be cleaned and fed. He appeared to be mumbling to himself and she had seen those symptoms before. Hunger can addle the brains, especially of someone that young. 

Maybe she can find a use for him. An errand boy, perhaps?

She went back to her work and dismissed the boy from her mind. For now.

Naihar,

A mutual acquaintance of ours has given me your name as someone who can get things done without asking too many questions.  I hope he isn't mistaken as I have great need of someone who knows how to hold their tongue.

I have reason to believe that there may be something happening in the town of Telmont that I need to be aware of.  Due to events beyond my control, I am unable to handle the task myself and so I humbly request that you head to this town to observe and report anything unusual.  If at all possible, try not to get involved but I fully understand if it is unavoidable.

One of my spanreeds has been included along with your initial payment of seven emerald broams.  I expect weekly reports.  Once you have completed this task the rest of your payment shall be delivered.

With regards,

T

Crumpling the letter in his hand, Naihar tossed it into the fireplace.  He had arrived the night before and taken a room at one of the local inns.  Ordering a meal, Naihar made his way to one of the empty tables by the dirt stained windows.  A hot meal or two first, then to find some street kids for information.

Back from my holiday and ready to jump into a game.  Couldn't sign up while on cruise and was glad to see the sign ups had been extended.

The Famed Gamin sat in one of the booths of the inn, looking around the room in between spoonfuls of steaming hot soup. It was a nice quaint place, he reckoned. He had snuck his way into a fair share of different taverns and inns, from all sorts of big fancy howda-ya-dos, to small, dingy, chulldung-hole in the walls. It didn't matter how clean and fluffed up the place was. Not at all. The Famed Gamin knew what the secret of a good inn was. It all lie in the innkeeper's smile. He had been smacked and chased out of countless places, but he could count just as many places where he had been bid welcome by a friendly smile of the innkeep. Nothing beat a free hot bath and even hotter soup. Although the two often as not didn't work well at together at the same time.

He still didn't know what to make of this lady innkeeper, though. Sure, she had a nice enough smile. And her tavern maids sure were nice on the eyes as well, he reckoned. He lived on the streets. He had learned a thing or two. It was irrelevant if he knew what he knew actually meant or not. He was streets-smart wise. He had learned glyphs all on his very own, he was proud to claim. He knew which ones meant "We buy stolen goods" when they were scratched in above pawn shop's doorframes. He could read that one in almost a dozen languages.

But his streets-smarts told him not to trust the twinkle behind the innkeeper's eyes. There was more to her than meets the eye, he knew.

He finished slurping down the rest of the soup and tore off a heel of bread to rub around to soak up the last of the juices before taking a triumphant bite. Feeling clean and with a fool stomach, he reckoned his job at this inn was done for the day. Although maybe he would sneak in somewhere in the night and make camp for the night, if he could manage it.

He idly looked around and saw some man sitting near the hearth toss a crumbled note into the fire, the letter blazing up with flames immediately. Interesting. I'll have to introduce myself to him later, I reckon. Mysterious people like that are always looking for information. And who better than to let them know what's happening than The Amazing Famed Gamin?

Alright, we’re going to finally start today!  No more delays; I promise.  The Stormfather can vouch for me on this one:

I AM NOT A SIMPLE TOOL FOR YOU, PETTY GM.  I WILL NOT BE SWAYED TO VOUCH BY THE WORDS OF A MORTAL.  I AM SORRY.

Ah, forget it, then.  The Stormfather seems especially uncooperative day.

I’VE HAD A ROUGH WEEK.

Well, at any rate, the game will begin at 10 PM EST today, approximately 13 hours from now.  If any of you are just lurking around looking at this, feel free to join in.  Sign-ups will conclude as soon as the first write-up is posted.

Tunnib sat in a bad mood in his corner of the inn, not even the drink was giving him much satisfaction anymore. How long was he supposed to sit here? Had his employer changed his mind? He had almost decided to go to bed and then go back to his employer to check when one of the pretty serving maids came to his table and sat down in front of him. He knew himself well enough to regcognice that he wasn't a really social fellow and that it wasn't his charming way that had made her walk his way. Regardless, engaging with a pretty girl could be just what he needed now, so he nodded thankfully to the smiling innkeeper and turned to the girl, admired her and started to talk with her. Maybe he'd postpone leaving for a while...

Tahrin eventually got bored just sitting around, so he took out a fabrial he had been tinkering with. In his spare time Tahrin had been trying to figure out how the fabrials that the Radiants had worked, but so far he couldn't figure it out. The Radiants didn't like anyone knowing there secrets, so when a serving girl quietly came by to give him a drink, Tahrin almost fell out of his seat with surprise. Hiding the fabrial in his big coat, Tahrin happily accepted the drink.

You did say you wanted at least 18 players, so....

Lyce is a Worldsinger from far to the west. She will tell you all about the places she's been, whether you want to hear it or not. She hadn't expected to find much in a small town like Telmont, but recent rumors have enticed her to stay. The emergence of new Radiants is bound to make a great new story to tell.