Character creation & FAQ

Eerongal

Ok, so character creation rules are as follows:

32 point buy

Full HP at 1st level (as standard)

Standard progression afterwards as appropriate for your HD

To give everyone an edge, everyone starts with 100 GP for starting supplies

Experience points: Experience points will not be calculated nor kept track of. Instead, I will tell you when you level based off of your party's progress (this is how it's recommended in the module)

Flaws: Flaws are allowed per the standard rules in Unearthed Arcana

Divine MetaMagic + NightSticks: DMM is allowed, but nightsticks do not stack.

Spells: I'm putting this here for any who missed it in the original topic, but some spells don't work exactly right within WLD. I won't say specifically which spells, and what's wrong with them is up to you to find out via experience, but in a nutshell, if it's a summoning or teleportation spell, it will likely have something "wrong" with it. You're still more than welcome to use them, but I wanted to put this out there up front so people are aware so that they can't complain later on.

What about psionics/incarnum/truenaming/etc.?: Alternate magic systems are allowed. We will generally use the magic transparency rule (when there's a choice. PSIONICS. >B( ). However, if your choice of magic system happens to be one that doesn't work out well (something like truenaming, where the DC's scale so that its basically impossible to use at high levels) we will have to look into using one of the various fixes out on the internet for it, which will be looked at and OK'd by me.

Tome of battle?: Go nuts, buddy!

What about food?: Food will be handwaved within the dungeon. That is, you won't need to worry about bringing enough rations/hunting down food, it will be assumed that you are able to keep yourselves well fed enough to live. The only exception to this may be in a particular area where part of the challenge is lack of food/water. If this is the case, i will assign a certain amount of food/water to the PC's at the beginning of the area, and once you leave the area, it will again become trivial. It's a bit too much book keeping, and no one likes to lose a hero because they starved to death.

A word of advice: Because of how brutal this campaign is, and based on how it was developed, I can't recommend enough that a "balanced" part is used. That is, that it uses all the 4 stereotypical roles, A meatshield, an offensive caster, a healer, and a trapper. I also want to stress the importance of someone who can take care of traps, even if its an artificer who is focused on trapping, an incarnate with the required soul melds, or even just someone with a single level of rogue who keeps up with his disable device/open lock/search/spot skills. There are traps in this dungeon, and they are NOT pleasant. I won't force a particular role upon anyone, but i wanted to make this known ahead of time.

On crafting: As far as crafting goes, since we aren't using EXP, if anyone wants to craft, we'll have to use crafting points similar to what an artificer gets (though non artificers probably won't get as many points as an artificer. Don't wanna belittle their class feature). Non-artificers will get half the crafting points of an artificer, as listed below. For every 2 crafting feats you have, add 50% (rounded down) of the below values. This includes artificers who pick up extra crafting feats. Artificers get the same amount for crafting feats as non-artificers (they just get a base pool every level that's twice the size). Also, for the GP cost, you will just be able to subtract that from your GP for any components required (so you don't have to try to hunt down specific items it lists)

level - points - w/feats

1-10- +5

2-20- +10

3-30- +15

4-40- +20

5-50- +25

6-75- +32

7-100- +50

8-125- +67

9-150- +75

10-200- +100

11-250- +125

12-350- +175

13-450- +225

14-600- +300

15-750- +375

16-1,000- +500

17-1,250- +625

18-1,500- +750

19-2,000- +1,000

20-2,500- +1,250

This includes all crafting feats you gain through class features as bonus feats.

crafting feats include:

Brew Potion

Craft Magic Arms And Armor

Craft Rod

Craft Staff

Craft Wand

Craft Wondrous Item

Forge Ring

Scribe Scroll

Any other feat marked as a "crafting" feat.

On spell components: When you find gems in the dungeon, they're just going to be a generic "you find X GP worth of gems". These gems will function as spell components for any spell that requires gems of a costly amount. So instead of needing to find a pearl worth 100 GP for identify, or a diamond worth 5,000 GP for raise dead, you can just collect up the piles of generic gems until you have the amount needed for the spell. This is so that we don't have as much micromanagement for stuff like those spell components.

On magic items: Everyone should come up with an item wishlist, and put it in your character thread. During the dungeon i will sometimes replace some magic items listed in the dungeon with things people actually want. Note that just because its on your wishlist doesnt guarantee you to get it. Also, make sure everything on your wishlist is reasonable for your current level, and just modify it as you level up. For example, if you're level 2, putting an epic +5 Vorpal wounding flaming longsword means you likely aren't going to get it.

Approved supplements: All WoTC books.

See me for any approval for 3rd party books

When you character is created, post a new topic, and put your character sheet in the first post. Keep track of anything you need to on that character sheet. The character sheet template is below. You may also use any 3rd party character sheet options you wish, so long as you have control over the character sheet for level up purposes and all that. Simply link to or display an image of the sheet in your forum topic

Point buy: Start at 8 in each stat. You have 32 points to distribute. Points cost below

9 - 1 points

10 - 2 points

11 - 3 points

12 - 4 points

13 - 5 points

14 - 6 points

15 - 8 points

16 - 10 points

17 - 13 points

18 - 16 points

Character sheet Template:

Character Name:

Character Race:

Character Class:

Alignment:

Diety:

Player Name:

Height:

Weight:

Eyes:

Hair:

Character Level: 1

Known Languages:

-------------------------------------------------------

Strength: 10 (+0)

Dexterity: 10 (+0)

Constitution: 10 (+0)

Intelligence: 10 (+0)

Wisdom: 10 (+0)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Armor Class: 10 [ BASE (10) + DEX + armor +shield]

Flatfooted AC: 10 [10+armor+shield]

Touch AC: 10 [10+Dex]

AC Penalty:

Maximum DEX bonus:

Armor Type & Weight:

Hit Points: X

Base Speed: X'/round

Total Encumbrance: X lb. - [ Light/medium/heavy Load]

Normal Speed: X'/round

Save vs. Fortitude: +X [ BASE + CON]

Save vs. Reflex: +X [ BASE + DEX]

Save vs. Will: +X [ BASE + WIS]

Initiative Modifier: +X [DEX + MISC]

Melee Attack Bonus: +x [bAB + STR]

Ranged Attack Bonus: +x [bAB + DEX ]

Weapons:

Weapon weight:

Skills (put X in box if a class skill. * indicates armor check penalty):

[Class]SkillName - Ranks - Attribute - Misc. = total

[ ]Appraise - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Balance* - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Bluff - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Climb* - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Concentration - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Craft - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Decipher Script - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Diplomacy - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Disable Device - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Disguise - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Escape Artist* - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Forgery - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Gather Information - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Handle Animal - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Heal - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Hide* - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Intimidate - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Jump* - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Knowledge - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Listen - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Move Silently* - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Open Lock - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Perform - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Profession() - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Ride - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Search - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Sense Motive - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Sleight Of Hand - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Speak Language - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Spellcraft - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Spot - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Survival - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Swim* - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Tumble* - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Use Magic Device - __ - __ - __ =

[ ]Use Rope - __ - __ - __ =

Feats:

Feat Name & Description:

Racial and Class Skills & Abilities:

Equipment & Gear

Weight of Equipment:

Money: 0gp, 0sp, 0cp

Spells (if applicable):

Spells per day

0 Level Spells: DC = X, Yx per day

1st Level Spells: DC = X, Yx per day

Spells Known/Written in Spellbook (sorc/wizard/favored soul)

0 Level:

1st Level:

Memorized Spell List (Default)

0 Level:

1st level:

Character History:

HP standard progressions: by HD:

D4

level - HP

1 - 4

2 - 2

3 - 3

4 - 2

5 - 3

6 - 2

7 - 3

8 - 2

9 - 3

10 - 2

11 - 3

12 - 2

13 - 3

14 - 2

15 - 3

16 - 2

17 - 3

18 - 2

19 - 3

20 - 2

D6

level - HP

1 - 6

2 - 3

3 - 4

4 - 3

5 - 4

6 - 3

7 - 4

8 - 3

9 - 4

10 - 3

11 - 4

12 - 3

13 - 4

14 - 3

15 - 4

16 - 3

17 - 4

18 - 3

19 - 4

20 - 3

D8

level - HP

1 - 8

2 - 4

3 - 5

4 - 4

5 - 5

6 - 4

7 - 5

8 - 4

9 - 5

10 - 4

11 - 5

12 - 4

13 - 5

14 - 4

15 - 5

16 - 4

17 - 5

18 - 4

19 - 5

20 - 4

D10

level

1 - 10

2 - 5

3 - 6

4 - 5

5 - 6

6 - 5

7 - 6

8 - 5

9 - 6

10 - 5

11 - 6

12 - 5

13 - 6

14 - 5

15 - 6

16 - 5

17 - 6

18 - 5

19 - 6

20 - 5

D12

level

1 - 12

2 - 6

3 - 7

4 - 6

5 - 7

6 - 6

7 - 7

8 - 6

9 - 7

10 - 6

11 - 7

12 - 6

13 - 7

14 - 6

15 - 7

16 - 6

17 - 7

18 - 6

19 - 7

20 - 6

Feel free to get in contact with me if you need help/guidance to make a character!

Just a quick question. The rules say to start at 8 in each stat, but the template says 10. Which are we using as a base for our builds?

yeah, start at 8. I just put in 10 on the template as i was putting together without thinking (10 is considered average for a human in any given stat, which is why it gives no particular bonus)

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a bit since I've done 3.5 AND point buy at that, but doesn't point buy system default you to 5 10s and an 8?

went ahead and looked it up in the 3.5 DMG to be sure (im not gonna say im never wrong :P ), and it looks like they all start at 8.

Page 169:

1. Standard Point Buy: All ability scores start at 8. Take 25 point to spread out among your abilities....

it continues on to explain point buy, but none of that is pertinent :P

There is this flaw that I want. I think it would be really fun 3:D

Secret voices

of course, it requires a little work on your part. So that is why I wanted to ask you first.

Hrm....Sounds like it could be fun....

Sure, why not, it's in!

Evil_Grin_2_by_FastSpeedy.png

Also: thanks for clearing a 3rd party option before hand (the way i prefer it to be done) :P

• 3 weeks later...

I updated the bit i put up there about crafting. I decided that the crafting points amount was kinda low, for both artificers and non-artificers, since the artificer class feature assumes that you have EXP available to spend in addition to the craft reserve. As such, I modified it to give you extra crafting points for every 2 crafting feats you take.

• 2 weeks later...

Would these homebrew flaws be acceptable?

EDIT: Flaws. I meant flaws. I can type.

well, flaws arent supposed to give any benefit other than a feat, so directionless gives too much because it gives con +1 as well, if you drop that it would be ok. For the other one, it depends on what you select as the item you are protective of. It's too easy to abuse that one by selecting something that would never come under fire, and essentially just get a "free" feat :P

I'd be totally okay with dropping the +1 con. I'm really not sure why it was there to begin with. And for the Overprotective flaw, it's actually a person - my character's brother, Kuri's character.

yeah, that should be fine.

edit: mainly, i just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to be like "its this ring which i keep buried down in my satchel!" and something that would actually potentially be of consequence

Sweet, thanks. :D And yeah, I can totally understand that. Honestly, one of the main reasons I wanted that flaw specifically (as opposed to something else) is also for the character/roleplaying side of things, in which case the same thing applies - if it never comes up, what's the point?

Sweet, thanks. :D And yeah, I can totally understand that. Honestly, one of the main reasons I wanted that flaw specifically (as opposed to something else) is also for the character/roleplaying side of things, in which case the same thing applies - if it never comes up, what's the point?

well, when it comes to stats and stuff, some people are totally willing to select things and minimize their drawbacks when it comes to roleplaying how it works (one of the reasons it recommends against roleplaying based flaws in the flaws guidelines, though im more than willing to allow them if they are actually relevant and a drawback in any way). And honestly, if you just wanted it for roleplaying reasons, you could just roleplay that way with out it, though a "free" feat is always nice if you were going to do it anyways :P

Pretty much my line of thought. I'm still sort of on the fence about it, but I wanted to get your approval (or lack thereof) before making a final decision. The way I'm looking at it, I can either RP it that way without the feat and still technically have a choice in what my character does (like using first aid instead of immediately going on the offensive), or I can take the flaw, give up that choice, and get the feat bonus. Does that make sense?

Pretty much my line of thought. I'm still sort of on the fence about it, but I wanted to get your approval (or lack thereof) before making a final decision. The way I'm looking at it, I can either RP it that way without the feat and still technically have a choice in what my character does (like using first aid instead of immediately going on the offensive), or I can take the flaw, give up that choice, and get the feat bonus. Does that make sense?

yup. Makes sense, with the flaw you have less control over your character in those situations, where as if you just roleplay it, you can use your discretion on the situation :P

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, more questions on character creation!

Is it alright for me to grab an extra turning pool? Ala the Sacred Exorcist Prestige class combined with already having Rebuke Undead or something similar? I would use the Destroy Undead ACF anyway, as my turning check/damage will be terrible anyway, but it would be nice to know for the future. (RKV + Domain Feats + Persisted DMM burns through the Turn Undead ability pretty fast.)

How will spells with XP costs be utilized, as we won't be using XP?

Yeah, that's fine. Also, for spells with EXP costs, since we aren't using them, they're essentially free of that costs, since there's nothing i can really charge you in its stead.

Thanks for clarifying. Now time to start Chaos Shuffling... :lol: Kidding, of course!

Edited by Thor