So....who wants to play some D&D?

Eerongal

For the love of Pelor (who is evil, btw), DON'T play a truenamer!!! 9 out of 10 people who play truenamers lose the ability to taste ice cream!!!! Read the words of Zaq. Study the conclusions he found. Learn from him. Don't repeat his mistakes!!!!!

To Eerongal: Are flaws allowed? (From Unearthed Arcana, iirc.) What about LA buyoff? (Unearthed Arcana.)

I guess I will play a melee-type character, as no one seems to want to be one. And melee damage is definitely nice to have, especially at low levels. I will probably play a Cleric that focuses on melee, as I have never done it before. (Is Divine Metamagic allowed? I would assume so, but you never know...along those lines, what is your ruling on Nightsticks? (Libris Mortis, The Book of Undead Faux Latin)

I would also suggest that we use Myth-weavers for character sheets. It works really well, imho.

Yeah, truenamers as written aren't that good. However, i wouldn't be against looking into one of the various truenamer fixes out on the internet if anyone really wants to play one.

As far as alternate magic systems go, my personal favorite is Magic Of Incarnum. It's no where near as powerful as standard magic, it's actually relatively well balanced, but i just love the flexibility it brings to the table. Also, incarnarte/cleric/sapphire heirarch is a pretty potent combo.

Also, yes, flaws are allowed. I'm personally a big fan of them. As far as LA buy off, since you're starting at level 1, you won't really be able to start with any LA, so it's sort of a moot point. Also, anyways, in the WLD it recommends NOT using exp points, and simply using the DM Fiat of "You guys are now level X" based on the party's progress, so that's what we're going to be using. Now, if you wanted to look into doing a savage progression (that is, making "levels" out of template that you can take) we could certainly look into doing that.

DMM is allowed, but my ruling is that night sticks don't stack (that is, you can only benefit from one set. No unlimited turning attempts. I know it's technically allowed, but at the same time it's way too much cheese for my wine)

As far as character sheets, you're certainly allowed to use whatever you want, if you don't want to use the forum template i drew up. Just simply link to it in your forum topic about your character when you make it. I just put the forum template out there to be quick, easy, and make it so that people don't have to sign up for an account anywhere. But by all means, use whatever you want. Just as long as you have complete control over your character sheet so you can handle your levels up/resources/etc. and all that.

Edit: updated the character creation thread with some of the info from this post. I will use that , as a character creation/FAQ thread, just so that all the answers to questions are all in one specific place

Yeah, truenamers as written aren't that good. However, i wouldn't be against looking into one of the various truenamer fixes out on the internet if anyone really wants to play one.

As far as alternate magic systems go, my personal favorite is Magic Of Incarnum. It's no where near as powerful as standard magic, it's actually relatively well balanced, but i just love the flexibility it brings to the table. Also, incarnarte/cleric/sapphire heirarch is a pretty potent combo.

Also, yes, flaws are allowed. I'm personally a big fan of them. As far as LA buy off, since you're starting at level 1, you won't really be able to start with any LA, so it's sort of a moot point. Also, anyways, in the WLD it recommends NOT using exp points, and simply using the DM Fiat of "You guys are now level X" based on the party's progress, so that's what we're going to be using. Now, if you wanted to look into doing a savage progression (that is, making "levels" out of template that you can take) we could certainly look into doing that.

DMM is allowed, but my ruling is that night sticks don't stack (that is, you can only benefit from one set. No unlimited turning attempts. I know it's technically allowed, but at the same time it's way too much cheese for my wine)

As far as character sheets, you're certainly allowed to use whatever you want, if you don't want to use the forum template i drew up. Just simply link to it in your forum topic about your character when you make it. I just put the forum template out there to be quick, easy, and make it so that people don't have to sign up for an account anywhere. But by all means, use whatever you want. Just as long as you have complete control over your character sheet so you can handle your levels up/resources/etc. and all that.

Edit: updated the character creation thread with some of the info from this post. I will use that , as a character creation/FAQ thread, just so that all the answers to questions are all in one specific place

Alright, all good things to know. I am just fine with the Nightstick ruling. It would be the ruling I would use normally, otherwise things just get silly. :P

Alright, all good things to know. I am just fine with the Nightstick ruling. It would be the ruling I would use normally, otherwise things just get silly. :P

yeah, the ability to pile basically EVERY metamagic on EVERY spell you cast gets crazy, and way outside of the realm of any sort of "balance" :P

And your feelings on Psionics? Just an idea I'm rolling around my head...

You said Savage Species is potentially allowed, pending discussion?

psionics are fine. SS should be ok, so long as it's not something rewritten in 3.5. At the end of the day I'm pretty lenient about what to allow so long as it results in player fun.

I have a friend that I have been trying to get to join 17th shard and he is interested in being a rogue. Also, I have another friend who is interested in being some form of meatsheild, but from the amount of interest presented I was wondering if I should invite him Eero.

I have a friend that I have been trying to get to join 17th shard and he is interested in being a rogue. Also, I have another friend who is interested in being some form of meatsheild, but from the amount of interest presented I was wondering if I should invite him Eero.

I don't see why not. We can always split them up into separate parties, which i was considering at this point, based on how much interest has been shown (i honestly didn't think it would get this much interest)

Parties of 4-6 are pretty much ideal, and right now we have....7 i think? so splitting at this point would result in a 3/4 split, with 1 to 2 more people we could do 4/5

Everyone on this site has a little geek inside of them that longs for some form of expression. Of course there would be interest. :P

Well, i figured that i would get maybe 3 or 4 people at most, just based upon the other roleplaying sections. Though i suppose "playing D&D" has more of a draw than "Playing homebrew freeform" since it has a brand name behind it :P

I honestly have been bad about checking this forum, outside of when Wife tells me to, so... I'll probably be checking out Homebrew Freeform before too long :P

Also, just checking to be sure... Book of 9 Swords okay? Because I'm pretty sure I have my character figured out, if the answer is yes.

I honestly have been bad about checking this forum, outside of when Wife tells me to, so... I'll probably be checking out Homebrew Freeform before too long :P

Also, just checking to be sure... Book of 9 Swords okay? Because I'm pretty sure I have my character figured out, if the answer is yes.

Most definitely. I'm huge fan of what Bo9S brought to melee.

Alright, got my character almost completely finished, just need to finish skills, spells and background. I'm going for a melee Cleric and will eventually transition into Ruby Knight Vindicator. Are the Lesser Planetouched races ok? (Lesser Aasimar is what I am currently using.) If not, I will probably switch to human. Along that line: may I, when the time comes, refluff RKV so that it doesn't require the deity to be Wee Jas?

Alright, got my character almost completely finished, just need to finish skills, spells and background. I'm going for a melee Cleric and will eventually transition into Ruby Knight Vindicator. Are the Lesser Planetouched races ok? (Lesser Aasimar is what I am currently using.) If not, I will probably switch to human. Along that line: may I, when the time comes, refluff RKV so that it doesn't require the deity to be Wee Jas?

The lesser plane touched are fine. As far as RKV, i dont remember off hand, but does it require any domains/feats/anything specific to wee jas? If it requires domains, if you can refluff it so that the new deity has the same domains, that's fine. If the only god-related requirement is "follower of wee jas", refluff it to whatever. Basically, if you can refluff it without affecting the crunch, go for it.

The lesser plane touched are fine. As far as RKV, i dont remember off hand, but does it require any domains/feats/anything specific to wee jas? If it requires domains, if you can refluff it so that the new deity has the same domains, that's fine. If the only god-related requirement is "follower of wee jas", refluff it to whatever. Basically, if you can refluff it without affecting the crunch, go for it.

Nothing but Wee Jas as a worshiped deity. Thanks!

Does a range of "Touch" qualify for a Persisted spell, in your opinion? How about a Reach/Occular spell? (Metamagic feats from Complete Divine/Lords of Madness. Getting shenanigany here.) If it is too much, just say so. Getting a feel for how much buffing I would be able to do, both now and for later. ;)

Nothing but Wee Jas as a worshiped deity. Thanks!

Does a range of "Touch" qualify for a Persisted spell, in your opinion? How about a Reach/Occular spell? (Metamagic feats from Complete Divine/Lords of Madness. Getting shenanigany here.) If it is too much, just say so. Getting a feel for how much buffing I would be able to do, both now and for later. ;)

For persisted spell, i believe touch spells do not qualify (it says that spells that are "discharged" aren't viable. Touch spells you can hold the charge, and discharge them at a later time, thus they are spells that discharge)

For reach, that's....what the feat is for? :P

and occular is fine. Any range but personal, it says.

I've never played a table top RPG before, but the group that is assembling here is tempting me...

I'm not committing to anything, but how hard would it be for a total and utter n00b (who doesn't even know what most of these clarifications you've been discussing mean) to figure out? Would it be possible to watch the story for a bit to see how it works and then join in?

I've never played a table top RPG before, but the group that is assembling here is tempting me...

I'm not committing to anything, but how hard would it be for a total and utter n00b (who doesn't even know what most of these clarifications you've been discussing mean) to figure out? Would it be possible to watch the story for a bit to see how it works and then join in?

currently, we actually have a mix of people who've never played and people who know too much :P

and it's cool, everyone has to start somewhere. If you wanna just watch for a bit and see how it goes, i can come up with some way to introduce your character while they're in the dungeon.

A couple of things i've decided to the players:

1. As far as crafting goes, since we aren't using EXP, if anyone wants to craft, we'll have to use crafting points similar to what an artificer gets (though non artificers probably won't get as many points as an artificer. Don't wanna belittle their class feature)

2. When you find gems in the dungeon, they're just going to be a generic "you find X GP worth of gems". These gems will function as spell components for any spell that requires gems of a costly amount. So instead of needing to find a pearl worth 100 GP for identify, or a diamond worth 5,000 GP for raise dead, you can just collect up the piles of generic gems until you have the amount needed for the spell. This is so that we don't have as much micromanagement for stuff like those spell components.

3. Everyone should come up with an item wishlist, and put it in your character thread. During the dungeon i will sometimes replace some magic items listed in the dungeon with things people actually want. Note that just because its on your wishlist doesnt guarantee you to get it. Also, make sure everything on your wishlist is reasonable for your current level, and just modify it as you level up. For example, if you're level 2, putting an epic +5 Vorpal wounding flaming longsword means you likely aren't going to get it.

Hmmm. I was sort of gearing up towards some sort of support character, but now we have two clerics. Back to the drawing board, I guess. XD I really wish I had a PHB to page through...

Well, at this point, there's probably going to be 2 parties (emeralis said he had two friends who wanted to join) so duplicate roles might not be a huge issue. Now, if you want to do buffing, so far there's no trap person, and you might like artificer. It gets trapping\unlocking stuff like a rogue (just need to keep the skills for it maxed), and they also get these spell-like abilities called "infusions". They're basically fairly unique buffs that you apply to items instead of people.

Plus, the class has a steampunk flavor to it, which is cool :P

Just a suggestion. Play whatever you want. If we end up with a party full of clerics....well, that's just how it will be! :P