So....who wants to play some D&D?

Eerongal

Weird, you're showing up for me. o_O I wonder what's wrong? Also, doubleposting from a GMod? Le GASP!

Anyways, I'll take a look. I might be able to borrow someone's books for perusal as well; we'll have to see.

hey, i'm a global mod, and it's my topic, so i'll post where i want, when i want, and on WHO i want! :P

Yeah, i was ninja'd in my reply and got lazy, so i just did a quick reply to the new post :P

I can find Kchan just fine, but it says your offline.

I have some dice around my house, as I prefer to roll stats by hand.

My method is to:

• Roll a six sider 4 times.
  • Remove the lowest roll and add together.
  • repeat twenty times
  • select 6 highest totals.

Is that fine with you?

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by Emeralis00

I can find Kchan just fine, but it says your offline.

I have some dice around my house, as I prefer to roll stats by hand.

My method is to:

• Roll a six sider 4 times.
  • Remove the lowest roll and add together.
  • repeat twenty times
  • select 6 highest totals.

Is that fine with you?

EDIT: Grammar

I, too, personally prefer rolling, but i figured via this medium (online forums) point buy would be better just so that it doesn't breed any misunderstandings if someone claims there's "no way" you rolled those stats or something along those lines.

We could maybe work something out via that rolling site i mentioned in the first post, if you want.

How does point-buy work. I have never used it.

I can't find my dice, so its either that or online rolling.

Well, if you want, i could also roll them for you. (i have plenty of dice, know where they are and all that.) but that kinda takes the fun out of it, in my opinion.

As far as point buy, it goes like this:

You start with X number of points (in this case, 32) and you "buy" your attributes. In a nutshell, you start at 8, and each point costs 1 up to and including 14. 15 and 16 cost 2, 17 and 18 cost 3. With point buy, 18 is the max you can have in any give stat.

I've listed the total costs for any score below:

9 - 1 points

10 - 2 points

11 - 3 points

12 - 4 points

13 - 5 points

14 - 6 points

15 - 8 points

16 - 10 points

17 - 13 points

18 - 16 points

OUCH, thanks Kchan. I was trying to post. :P

Okay. Point buy it is.

Non-DMs may ignore the rest of this, it's mostly me rambling as I buy my stats.

Numbers in parentheses are the point cost.

Primary stat: 17 (-13)

Secondary Stat: 14 (-6)

Tertiary stat 1: 12 (-4)

Tertiary stat 2: 12 (-4)

Tertiary stat 3: 11 (-3)

Dump stat: 10 (-2)

I try to avoid having negatives in any stats, even the dump stat. After all, you never know.

So I plan on being a Human Cleric. Stats are assigned as follows:

Primary: Wisdom +3

Secondary: Constitution +2

Tertiary 1: Charisma +1

Tertiary 2: Strength +1

Tertiary 3: Dexterity +0

Dump: Intelligence +0

Wisdom is very important for clerics as it determines their magic, thus primary. CON is secondary, because the cleric might have to wade into battle to heal the meatsheild. Charisma goes next because of the turning ability of clerics against undead.

Intelligence takes the fall because skills are nice and all, but a cleric is doing something wrong if he is the skill monkey.

I also have an Eberron source book.

As to my choice of class, I will also be a Druid. I can be a fighter/meatsheild type character, but I am not as good. Don't let me be the rogue, I almost killed a party by accident once because I forgot to check for traps.

Edited by Emeralis00

I am so in for this, if the DM won't mind having a powergamer in the party... I've been known to make a Munchkin or two, so keep your eye on me, Eerongal. :P

Don't worry, some powergaming can only help in this campaign. As i've been saying, this dungeon is utterly brutal :P

Your post reminds me that I wanted to ask.

On a scale of 1 to Tomb of Horrors, how bad is this dungeon?

easily ranks right up with tomb of horror in my mind. I've played this dungeon up to 9th level. In a party of 6, up to that point, we had almost 2-3 deaths per player.

Tangent: When i ran tomb of horrors with the same group, we had about 3-4 player deaths overall...Good times

Well, then. My group had a tomb of horrors campaign three years ago, but I wasn't around for that, so I only heard the stories.

It also led to a group joke. One of the character back-stories started with "my mother was a whore," and a slip of the tongue led to the dungeon being called the tomb of whores.

Reading Tome of Magic. Maybe I should consider a Truenamer class... Choosing a class is even harder than I thought, given I have no knowledge of game dynamics. (For example, I still can't see what use is the wizard after he runs out of spells for a day)

Reading Tome of Magic. Maybe I should consider a Truenamer class... Choosing a class is even harder than I thought, given I have no knowledge of game dynamics. (For example, I still can't see what use is the wizard after he runs out of spells for a day)

That's when he breaks out the Fighterdokens.

I'm in. Just no clue what I'll be running yet. Something random and awesome, though, rest assured.

Yeah, wizards are mostly useless without their spells. The principle use of a wizard is with extra planning and forethought while conserving your resources. The goal of a wizard would be to go through the day without running out of spells. Also, you can still use wantds, scrolls, and such to cast some spells after you run out.

Also, you may want to look into reserve feats from complete mage. Those really help a wizard make it through the day.

A correctly played wizard can be practically unstoppable

Yeah, wizards are mostly useless without their spells. The principle use of a wizard is with extra planning and forethought while conserving your resources. The goal of a wizard would be to go through the day without running out of spells. Also, you can still use wantds, scrolls, and such to cast some spells after you run out.

Also, you may want to look into reserve feats from complete mage. Those really help a wizard make it through the day.

A correctly played wizard can be practically unstoppable

Which is one of the reasons they made 4th, lol.

For the love of Pelor (who is evil, btw), DON'T play a truenamer!!! 9 out of 10 people who play truenamers lose the ability to taste ice cream!!!! Read the words of Zaq. Study the conclusions he found. Learn from him. Don't repeat his mistakes!!!!!

To Eerongal: Are flaws allowed? (From Unearthed Arcana, iirc.) What about LA buyoff? (Unearthed Arcana.)

I guess I will play a melee-type character, as no one seems to want to be one. And melee damage is definitely nice to have, especially at low levels. I will probably play a Cleric that focuses on melee, as I have never done it before. (Is Divine Metamagic allowed? I would assume so, but you never know...along those lines, what is your ruling on Nightsticks? (Libris Mortis, The Book of Undead Faux Latin)

I would also suggest that we use Myth-weavers for character sheets. It works really well, imho.

Edited by Thor