Atium Alloys

Ironeyes

It just popped into my head that, aside from malatium, we have no clue what the other alloys of atium do. I will now propose a list of what I think they should do, going on the assumption that a metal's atium alloy has a similar, yet different, effect (like malatium and gold).

Here goes...

Atium+Iron: Lets you decrease the temperature of nearby metals

Atium+Steel: Lets you increase the temperature of nearby metals

Atium+Tin: Lets you enhance other peoples' senses

Atium+Pewter: Lets you increase other peoples' strength

Atium+Zinc: Lets you feel when someone is experiencing a strong emotion (but not which one)

Atium+Brass: Lets you feel the general emotion of the area, but not individual people

Atium+Copper: Gives off confusing bronze pulses (very annoying to seekers)

Atium+Bronze: Destroys copperclouds

Atium+Gold: Already confirmed (see malatium)

Atium+Electrum: Lets you see other people's futures

Atium+Cadmium: Makes you move slowly through time (like a personalized cadmium bubble)

Atium+Bendalloy: Makes you move quickly through time (like a personalized bendalloy bubble)

Atium+Aluminum: Makes any metal you're burning do what its atium alloy would do (or for atium alloys, what the metal it's made from does)

Atium+Duralumin: Makes any metal you're burning do what it's paired metal does (steel turns to iron, etc.)

Atium+Chromium: Makes any metal another person is burning do what its atium alloy would do (or for atium alloys, what the metal it's made from does)

Atium+Nicrosil: Makes any metal another person is burning do what it's paired metal does (steel turns to iron, etc.)

Any body have any other ideas?

And another thing– names for each alloy. The only idea I have so far is Cupratium for copper+atium.

Oh, I got another idea:

Atium+Cadmium: lets you get in/out of cadmium bubbles

Atium+Bendalloy: lets you get in/out of bendalloy bubbles

And I thought maybe Ferratium for Iron+Atium

Edited by Ironeyes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Atium specifically provide expanded enhancement and temporal effects when alloyed, giving it a bit more order than just a random change? With that in mind, here's my ideas:

EDIT: I was wrong, it's temporal/mental, not temporal/enhancement. Thanks for the correction.

Iron + Atium: give a piece of metal gravitational attraction (similar to a reverse lashing from Way of Kings).

Steel + Atium: give a piece of metal gravitational repulsion to all objects.

Pewter + Atium: recover. For example, a bead of atium/pewter could give the effect equivalent to an hour's worth of rest.

Tin + Atium: Study. Burns instantly, giving you a perfect mental image of everything you can see (and hear, smell, feel, etc...)

Zinc + Atium: retcons a point in the past, adding some emotions to those memories. (eg, you remember a burst of joy 5 days ago, when your friend died...)

Brass + Atium: retcons a point in the past, removing some emotions from those memories. (very good for PTSD therapy)

Copper + Atium: delays bronze pulses within a cloud, making them be heard some amount of time after the metal is burned.

Bronze + Atium: hear all bronze pulses from the past at your location.

Gold + Atium: (confirmed) see other people's past, had they made different choices

Electrum + Atium: ??? it seems like it would be the same as pure atium

Cadmium + Atium: Cadmium bubble that survives you leaving it.

Bendalloy + Atium: Bendalloy bubble that survives you leaving it. (note: burn rate is local to the Allomancer. It can be extended to last 10-20x as long by being outside of the fast time)

Aluminum + Atium: permanently removes your ability to use Allomancy.

Duralumin + Atium: permanently changes your ability to use Allomancy, giving a constant duralumin style effect

Chromium + Atium: permanently removes someone else's ability to use Allomancy. (scary)

Nicrosil + Atium: permanently changes someone else's ability to use Allomancy, giving them constant duralumin style effect.

Hmm, maybe instead of permanent, it would heal/recover over a few days for the enhancement 2.0 effects. My other idea for them would be to delay the wiping/boost to the next time burning a metal was attempted. This would give Allomancers confidence in their metal stores before they disappeared from a chromium/atium touch.

Edited by ulyssessword

The problem I have with some of these alloys is that they don't seem very... well, Ruinous. Malatium seems like a more Ruinous application of gold because you can use it to cause harm, unlike the original metal. So for some I could see something like:

Copper+Atium= Copatium, masks an Allomancer from being able to sense his reserves.

Bronze+Atium= No idea for name, lets an Allomancer cause Allomantic pulses.

Electum+Atium= No idea for name, lets an Allomancer see further into the future and burns slower, allowing him to pick a longer term solution to problems.

Pewter+Atium= Petium, Causes a larger surge of strength than pewter, but without the toughening of the body that pewter allows.

The effects don't have to be ruinous, Ruin was about intellegent decay/destruction. He's more than willing to build something up to knock something else down.

But there is still some loss. Ruin builds Inquisitors, but they lose some of the Allomantic strength of the Allomancers they were made from. Koloss combine 5 lives into one, but lose individuality and life. Ruin builds by destroying other things. It would make sense to me that atium alloys would fit into this theme.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Atium specifically provide expanded enhancement and temporal effects when alloyed, giving it a bit more order than just a random change? With that in mind, here's my ideas:

EDIT: I was wrong, it's temporal/mental, not temporal/enhancement. Thanks for the correction.

Iron + Atium: give a piece of metal gravitational attraction (similar to a reverse lashing from Way of Kings).

Steel + Atium: give a piece of metal gravitational repulsion to all objects.

Pewter + Atium: recover. For example, a bead of atium/pewter could give the effect equivalent to an hour's worth of rest.

Tin + Atium: Study. Burns instantly, giving you a perfect mental image of everything you can see (and hear, smell, feel, etc...)

Zinc + Atium: retcons a point in the past, adding some emotions to those memories. (eg, you remember a burst of joy 5 days ago, when your friend died...)

Brass + Atium: retcons a point in the past, removing some emotions from those memories. (very good for PTSD therapy)

Copper + Atium: delays bronze pulses within a cloud, making them be heard some amount of time after the metal is burned.

Bronze + Atium: hear all bronze pulses from the past at your location.

Gold + Atium: (confirmed) see other people's past, had they made different choices

Electrum + Atium: ??? it seems like it would be the same as pure atium

Cadmium + Atium: Cadmium bubble that survives you leaving it.

Bendalloy + Atium: Bendalloy bubble that survives you leaving it. (note: burn rate is local to the Allomancer. It can be extended to last 10-20x as long by being outside of the fast time)

Aluminum + Atium: permanently removes your ability to use Allomancy.

Duralumin + Atium: permanently changes your ability to use Allomancy, giving a constant duralumin style effect

Chromium + Atium: permanently removes someone else's ability to use Allomancy. (scary)

Nicrosil + Atium: permanently changes someone else's ability to use Allomancy, giving them constant duralumin style effect.

Hmm, maybe instead of permanent, it would heal/recover over a few days for the enhancement 2.0 effects. My other idea for them would be to delay the wiping/boost to the next time burning a metal was attempted. This would give Allomancers confidence in their metal stores before they disappeared from a chromium/atium touch.

I really like your versions of the enhancement metal alloys. Good thinking! (And yes, the chromium idea does scare me. Talk about a super-terrorist!)

I did not know that atium always has a temporal/mental effect. Did Brandon say that? I was just thinking of random yet cool changes.

I strongly suspect that at least one Atium alloy with one of the mental metals could be used to send an Allomancer to Shadesmar.

Clever. Which one? I assume the opposite metal would get them out of Shadesmar... That would make a great plot device once he starts linking the worlds together.

I have registered just so I could post in here.

I think some of you are going about this the wrong way. As I only discovered reading this thread, Atium adds "Temporal and Mental" effects ( http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090916215123/mistborn/images/0/04/Table_of_Allomantic_metals.jpg ). This is in contrast to Larasium, which produces Physical and Enhancement effects.

With that in mind, I've come up with a few ideas of my own:

First of all, the allomatic metals are already grouped into Physical, Mental, Enhancement and Temporal. To make things easier, let's group them further by their related God Metal. Because they'll be the most boring, let's ignore the Mental and Temporal metals for a moment and focus on the ones that don't match. To make them work, we need to add an Atium spin on them. For example;

Tin + Atium = Tin enhances senses. Throw on a temporal spin and the obvious result is the ability to see through time. Now, gold and Malatium already allow you to see a person's different possible pasts, but what this allow would do is allow them to see into the actual past. Someone could stand in a room and burn this, then see time begin to rewind (faster burn, faster rewind) around them.

The obvious opposite of this is seeing the future, but Atium already does this more or less. Furthermore, the opposite metal of Tin has nothing to do with seeing. Therefore this opposite doesn't need to exist. Now for adding a Temporal spin on Pewter there's a few ways this could work:

Pewter + Atium = Pewter enhances physical strength, speed, durability and healing. This allow could be used to delay damage to the body. Essentially, wounds disappear, indeed aren't even made. But once the alloy is burned they all return at once, possibly fatally.

I also quite like UllysesSword's suggestion of granting restedness. This ties in with the temporal aspect: Delaying sleep (an aspect related to this physical properties Pewter deals with) for a time.

That's all I've got, but I hope it helps come up with some others.

Edited by Inevitable

It just popped into my head that, aside from malatium, we have no clue what the other alloys of atium do. I will now propose a list of what I think they should do, going on the assumption that a metal's atium alloy has a similar, yet different, effect (like malatium and gold).

Here goes...

Atium+Iron: Lets you decrease the temperature of nearby metals

Atium+Steel: Lets you increase the temperature of nearby metals

Atium+Tin: Lets you enhance other peoples' senses

Atium+Pewter: Lets you increase other peoples' strength

Atium+Zinc: Lets you feel when someone is experiencing a strong emotion (but not which one)

Atium+Brass: Lets you feel the general emotion of the area, but not individual people

Atium+Copper: Gives off confusing bronze pulses (very annoying to seekers)

Atium+Bronze: Destroys copperclouds

Atium+Gold: Already confirmed (see malatium)

Atium+Electrum: Lets you see other people's futures

Atium+Cadmium: Makes you move slowly through time (like a personalized cadmium bubble)

Atium+Bendalloy: Makes you move quickly through time (like a personalized bendalloy bubble)

Atium+Aluminum: Makes any metal you're burning do what its atium alloy would do (or for atium alloys, what the metal it's made from does)

Atium+Duralumin: Makes any metal you're burning do what it's paired metal does (steel turns to iron, etc.)

Atium+Chromium: Makes any metal another person is burning do what its atium alloy would do (or for atium alloys, what the metal it's made from does)

Atium+Nicrosil: Makes any metal another person is burning do what it's paired metal does (steel turns to iron, etc.)

Any body have any other ideas?

And another thing– names for each alloy. The only idea I have so far is Cupratium for copper+atium.

+1 for clever ideas.

would an alloy of Atium and Larasium create life? like how ruin and preservation put a part of themselves in people.

I was just wondering if this could create a sort of Goloem like in Warbreaker.

Laratium would create a life.

Atasium would take a life.

would an alloy of Atium and Larasium create life? like how ruin and preservation put a part of themselves in people.

I was just wondering if this could create a sort of Goloem like in Warbreaker.

Laratium would create a life.

Atasium would take a life.

And is Harmonium the same thing as Atium + Lerasium.

There probably isn't. There's a good chance that it would (techinically) be called

Sazedium,

, but for the same reason that I didn't show it, if it shows up, the characters would probably call it Harmonium. And that may be the exact same thing as Leratium and Aterium. Many believe that that metal would be powerless, or that it would make you a Feruchemist.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the general idea, but I am curious, Ironeyes, as to what your reasonings for some of the suggestions were. For example, why would atium+iron or atium+steel influence metal temperature? Same for you, Ulysses: why gravitation for those combinations?

Sanderson wanted allomancy to feel scientific, so I suspect that we can extract a few guiding principles from what we know that will allow us to better imagine what the alloys would be.

First, consider atium in its "pure" form. I'd argue that it is a temporal mental external pulling metal. That is, it shows the future (hence, temporal), it affects your understand of the future (mental), and it shows other people's future (external). Why don't I say it is an internal metal, since it gives the user an understanding of the future? Sanderson implies in his annotations that atium affects others:

That means atium and gold are both pulling metals, and the ones that do things to you both had to be related to gold—and both metals that do things to other people had to be related to atium. Therefore, even though initial logic makes it seem that the alloy of atium should be the one that shows your own future, the way the magic is arranged means that it has to show other people's pasts. [Editor's note: Careful readers may intuit something else about this that Brandon is holding back.]

Also, why do I say it is a pulling metal, when gold, also a pulling metal, shows the past, and electrum, a pushing metal, shows the future (like atium itself does)? Because in the same annotation, Sanderson said that the unalloyed thing is always pulling, while the alloyed is always pushing.

The final metal of that group, then, had to show your own future. I wanted this to be an alloy of atium. But the problem was that it couldn't be. There is always a pushing metal and a pulling metal to each set. The pull always comes first; the push is always the alloy.

Anywho, when we add that to gold, we can see a logical shift in how gold works. Gold, by itself, it a temporal internal pulling metal. Malatium, however, is a temporal external pushing metal. As per Sanderson, the pushing part is apparently inherent in the alloying process. That means, alloying any metal with atium will change it to an pushing metal and it will also change one of the non-atium-metal's attributes. But take a look at it from the atium side: atium is mental, temporal, and external. It looses a trait when it gets melded with a different metal, and it gives that metal one of its traits!

Let's then apply the these basic principle to electrum, a temporal internal pushing power. One suggestion is that atium+electrum would be the same as pure atium. Under these guidelines, though, we know that can't be the case: it would seemingly be missing the mental aspect of atium itself! At the very least, this should mean that the user would be able to see other people's future but wouldn't have their mind expanded to comprehend it. We see this with Malatium, actually: Vin see's TLR's past, but she doesn't have her mind expanded to understand it (she has to figure this out on her own). If electrum is the poor man's atium, then atium+electrum is the stupid man's atium. It would result in less useful effect than pure atium: the person could see the future but wouldn't have the mental capacity to react instinctualy.

Alternately, however, if atium looses one of its own attributes and adds one of its attributes to the other metal, then it is possible that the combination of atium+electrum would be a mental external pushing metal. Of course, we have no evidence that atium when mixed could produce mental alloys. However, I believe that Sanderson mentioned that more than one alloy per metal might be possible with atium. If he actually said that, and I am not just misremembering, then this might be how those different alloys are possible. Atium+electrum might produce an temporal external metal, or it might produce a mental external metal. Atium+gold, under the same theory, might produce a mental counterpart, too.

As a side note, I don't recall if it has been stated explicitly, but this would imply that if atium is an external metal, then lerasium is probably an internal one (which, I think, is fairly obvious in itself).

I like the general idea, but I am curious, Ironeyes, as to what your reasonings for some of the suggestions were.

I had no reasoning for any of them except electrum, which would have no point anyway, as stated. These ideas just sounded cool, and I didn't know about the temporal/mental thing at the time.

That's clever, Ulysses. I could definitely see Sanderson going in that direction.

Use my own proposed laws of atium alloys, I came up with a few possible combinations. Only for the Temporal and Mental mentals, though: the laws breakdown when applied to the physical and enhancement metals. For example, under this framework, would tin have 3 variations? (physical external pushing, mental internal pushing, temporal internal pushing). Or does atium always make things external, as Sanderson sort of implied, so that either mental or temporal is always added (and with malatium we just happen to see the repetitive mental attribute added)?

gold: temporal internal pull

Atium+gold1=Malatium, temporal external push: see the possible past paths of someone else.

Atium+gold2=???, mental internal push: understand the different possible paths you could have taken in the past

electrum: temporal internal push

Atium+electrum1=???, temporal external push: see the possible future paths of someone else (see only, not comprehend)

Atium+electrum2=???, mental internal push: understand the different possible future paths that you can take and how to achieve those ends.

cadmium: temporal external pull

Atium+Cadmium1=???, temporal external push: Possibly doesn’t exist (no unique change to the nature of cadmium that bendalloy doesn’t already cover). If it does something, it might “freeze” time outside the bubble.

Atium+Cadmium2=???, mental external push: understand the significance of the past for other people's present.

Bendalloy: temporal external push

Atium+Bendalloy1=???, temporal external push: Possibly doesn’t exist (no actual change to the nature of bendalloy). If it does something, it might “reverse” time outside the bubble (presumably only for a few minutes).

Atium+Bendalloy2=???, mental external push: Understand the significance of other people's future and how they can get there.

Copper: mental internal pull

Atium+Copper1=??? mental external push: mask the allomantic pulses of others (but not yourself) and protect them from soothing/rioting

Atium+Copper2=???, temporal internal push: Gain access to a different realm of existence (shadesmar)

Bronze: Mental internal push

Atium+Bronze1=???, mental external push: negate the emotional allomantic protection of others and make them suseptable to soothing/rioting.

Atium+Bronze2=???, temporal internal push: leave a different realm of existence (shadesmar)

Zinc: Mental external pull

Atium+Zinc1=???, mental external push: Possibly doesn’t exist (duplicates brass, effectively). If it does something, it might create new emotions in others.

Atium+Zinc2=???, temporal external push: increase the memories of others.

Brass: mental external push

Atium+brass1=???, mental external push: Possibly doesn’t exist (no change to brass’s basic nature). If it does something, it might eliminate emotions in others.

Atium+brass2=???, temporal external push: decrease the memories of others.