Goodreads Q&A

WeiryWriter

Whoot! A cosmere question answered.

edit: dang ninjas.

* The "God Surges" you mentioned recently, are they a part of the WoK frontsheet?

* You've said that there are three types of Blades in The Stormlight Archive. We've seen "dead" Shardblades, Honorblades - is the third type the "living spren" Shardblades, or is there another type we haven't seen?

* Do all Surgebinders breathe Stormlight in, or are there other ways? Is Lift one-of-a-kind in this regard? (hide spoiler)]
38550.jpg
Brandon Sanderson All I said regarding this was to tell a fan that it was possible to make an analogy between the god metals on Scadrial and certain powers on Roshar. However, these are not a codified part of the magic system. 

Lift is one of a kind. 

Nightblood is a very unique kind of Shardblade, but IS a Shardblade.
Edited by bartbug

Mhuahahaha, I have heard the voice of God! Though I worded my first question less than optimally because of stupid character count restrictions :(

• The "God Surges" you mentioned recently, are they a part of the WoK frontsheet?
  • You've said that there are three types of Blades in The Stormlight Archive. We've seen "dead" Shardblades, Honorblades - is the third type the "living spren" Shardblades, or is there another type we haven't seen?
  • Do all Surgebinders breathe Stormlight in, or are there other ways? Is Lift one-of-a-kind in this regard?

• All I said regarding this was to tell a fan that it was possible to make an analogy between the god metals on Scadrial and certain powers on Roshar. However, these are not a codified part of the magic system.
  • Nightblood is a very unique kind of Shardblade, but IS a Shardblade.
  • Lift is one of a kind.
EDIT:

Wow, you people are worse fiends than I am...
Edited by Argent

Q: As Feruchemistry is the magic system combined from Ruin and Preservation's powers, and they created humankind on Scadrial, how is it that it only occurs in persons with Terrispeople in their ancestry?

A: RAFO

Q: Can the various forms of Investiture on other worlds in the Cosmere be classified as "end positive" or "end negative" like they are on Scadrial?

A: Some can. Not all.

[Huh...]

Edited by Argent

*sniff* Though I'm not really surprised about that one...

• Q: As Feruchemistry is the magic system combined from Ruin and Preservation's powers, and they created humankind on Scadrial, how is it that it only occurs in persons with Terrispeople in their ancestry?
  • A:  RAFO. :)(Adding this here because Goodreads won't let me submit such a short answer to a question. Which is rather annoying.)

Q: Are you planning to release White Sand as a graphic novel exclusively, or will the story be published as a regular novel further down the line? Either way, can't wait to read it!

A: The plan is graphic novel right now. We'll see how the reception is, but I think it would be awesome if this entry into the cosmere story were always in graphic form.

Q: Why are do the Windrunners, Elsecallers, Stonewards, and Dustbringers have an extra connection on the Surgebinding diagram? Why do the Edgedancer, Skybreaker, Lightweaver, Willshaper's have a broken connection on the diagram? What are the dragon type things in the back of the diagram?

A: The dragon type things are a certain animal you've seen several places in the story so far. These connections will be explained eventually, but remember it's not the orders being connected, but instead their elemental representations. This diagram is very metaphysical, and some of the elements of it are cultural.

Q: Does the metal on Sel contains within it any sort of spren-like being, or anything similar to that, and also, does the splintered nature of the Shards on (Elantris' world) have anything to do with how the magic manifests itself without a physical representation?

A: Scadrial (Mistborn world) did not have an analogous, self-aware invested set of entities. The power has to be "let go of" in a way.

Edited by Argent

My guess would be that the dragon type things are larkins then?

Yes.

Q: Cosmere: does a Shard's power being manifested either physically or not (through metals vs through light) have anything to do with its individual abilities/powers?

A: RAFO

Q: Do Zahel and Hoid know each other? Can Zahel regrow limbs as well?

A: They've met. 
Otherwise, RAFO.
Edited by Argent

Nightblood is a Shardblade

Interesting

We already knew this, (someone asked if Nightblood was like a Shardblade and Brandon said it was a Shardblade)

I sense a Kurk question. Does Roshar have CATS! B)

Actually I think it was someone on Tumblr.

Q: Can the various forms of Investiture on other worlds in the Cosmere be classified as "end positive" or "end negative" like they are on Scadrial?

A: Some can. Not all.

[Huh...]

I don't think there is anything hidden here, the question doesn't mention "end neutral" systems.

Q: 

Who is the oldest character we know?

Can a person in Shardplate be Rioted or Soothed? What about Seeked?

Could a Coinshot, in a fight, damage Shardplate?

A:Frost is almost certainly the oldest by a small amount. After that, Hoid

Who in the heck is Frost?

Q: Does Shardplate have one general style as a pattern, or do different types exist (like European armour vs. japanese armour), as the different kingdoms have different cultures?

A: Different types exist, but it's more along order lines than cultural ones. (That said, a person's culture could certainly influence their armor.)

Rust and Ruin, it feels like Christmas with all those answers! Not that they are really informative, or all that significant, but just getting answers feels awesome.

Who in the heck is Frost?

From this post:

Q-Cosmere question. Does Frost make any incognito appearences in any other books other than Dragonsteel? If so Book/chapter?

A-He does not appear on screen in any published books, though he is referenced. He has a non-Interference policy.

Sounds like he's the dragon in the letter in WoR.

Edited by Moogle

Sounds like he's the dragon in the letter in WoR.

I am pretty much 100% convinced it's him. The non-interference policy was well emphasized in his letter to Hoid from Words of Radiance, and he certainly fits the age profile, as well as the "old friend" phrase (though that last one is practically grasping at straws).

Q: Why are do the Windrunners, Elsecallers, Stonewards, and Dustbringers have an extra connection on the Surgebinding diagram? Why do the Edgedancer, Skybreaker, Lightweaver, Willshaper's have a broken connection on the diagram? What are the dragon type things in the back of the diagram?

A: The dragon type things are a certain animal you've seen several places in the story so far. These connections will be explained eventually, but remember it's not the orders being connected, but instead their elemental representations. This diagram is very metaphysical, and some of the elements of it are cultural.

I think it may connect the ones who have spren of Honor and those of Cultivation.

Q: In Elantris the Aon used for healing is Aon Ien, but the definition given in the back of the book says it means "Wisdom". The other Aons have effects and definitions that go together, but "Healing" and "Wisdom" don't seem to match. Is there something there or is it an error?

A: It's more a cultural thing. When I was naming the Aons I had some of them cross-align like this because I feel that languages, and cultures, are often messy. (Drive on a parkway, park in a driveway kind of issues.) This is the only one that ended up in the glossary that was like this, though, so I probably should have spotted that and changed it.

Damnation, I was hoping for something juicy here.

Q: Zael/Vasher is in Roshar for Nightblood? We will know in Stormlight Archive why these two were separated ? or in the sequel of Warbreaker?

A: The Warbreaker sequel will give clues about this, but the actual event happened between that and TWoK. So I'm not sure where I'll slip it in.

Q: We know that Pattern was with Shallan before the murder of shallan's mother. we will see in the next books how they met?

A: Yes, you will probably see this some day.

Edited by Argent