Theory: The Origin of Feruchemy (And by theory I mean hunch)

Kadrok

But wasn't Lerasium created by TLR using the Well? I seem to recall Brandon saying that at some point.

From the Chapter Nine epigraph of The Well of Ascension Hero of Ages (thanks Outis!):

Allomancy was, indeed, born with the mists. Or, at least, Allomancy began at the same time as the mists' first appearances. When Rashek took the power at the Well of Ascension, he became aware of certain things. Some were whispered to him by Ruin; others were granted to him as an instinctive part of the power.

One of these was an understanding of the Three Metallic Arts. He knew, for instance, that the nuggets of metal in the Chamber of Ascension would make those who ingested them into Mistborn. These were, after all, fractions of the very power in the Well itself.

For him to learn what he does about "the nuggets of metal in the Chamber of Ascension" upon taking the power, the nuggets would have needed to already be in existence. 

Edited by Kadrok

• 2 years later...

I recently came up with the idea that an alloy of harmonium and lerasium would give a person feruchemy if they tapped it. Eventually, with some outside help, I adjusted it to be atium and lerasium. This theory is similar, but I think lerasium giving feruchemy is a bit of a wild shot. First, lerasium wouldn't affect feruchemy the same way it doesn't affect hemalurgy. Similarly, atium doesn't affect allomancy or feruchemy that much, but is extremely useful in hemalurgy. The same way, harmonium would be a much safer bet for this theory (although still not foolproof), or a mixture of atium and lerasium, which would be much better because feruchemy is a mixture of preservation and ruin, so a mixture of the two god metals would make sense. However, I still prefer harmonium as it is a separate element and it has ruin and preservation in it, rather than being a mixture of the two 

Lerasium 'should' have a feruchemical and hemalurgic effect. My working theory is that Lerasium would steal sentience and degrades quickly as a spike. I don't have any ideas on what it would store. I'm with you on Leratium (my name for the Alloy) granting Feruchemy initially, but I think it changed after Harmony Ascended and the original two God metals stopped being produced. This is all just guess work though.

• Chaos locked this topic