People you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley

Voidus

Rusts, now I've irritated her, Lita thought, watching the blonde circle around Okame. Lita wasn't about to admit it, but Laurelai was a bit frightening, in a quiet sort of way.

This Okame fellow didn't seem frightened though. When he mentioned he wanted to "join up," Lita raised an eyebrow of her own. Bold move. But then again, he didn't seem the type to trade coy words in a shadowed tavern like herself. She moved behind Laurelai, frustrated that she couldn't be more useful. What could she do, twirl a pen at him? She was a spy, not an assassin. Well, not a trained assassin anyway.

"You're a Radiant, aren't you?" she said, mind finally working through his comment about "Stormlight." 

A second recruit? It's not even my department. Laurelai tried to smile politely as she felt a headache brewing. Still, Lita was definitely a good find. This one might be useful too. And a Skybreaker? Not a lot of them around here.

The DA didn't tend to abide by other peoples laws other than accidentally. But if he was looking for someone to provide laws, well she had to admit that if any single group in the Alleyverse had the power to enforce any laws it would likely be them.

"I see." She replied. "Well it's not exactly my area but I can see what I can do at least."

She pulled her pen out once more, this time it seemed more a nervous habit, a staccato twirling between fingers, mixed with a few clicks of the pen for emphasis. Finally she stopped the pen's motion with a thumb and palmed it for the moment, keeping it to hand in case someone tried to reply directly. Sales & recruitment weren't always the most reliable departments, they might drop by, they might just send approval, or they might just leave her waiting for a while.

"What can you tell us about yourself?" She asked. "Beyond being a Skybreaker."

Learning more about him would be helpful  either way, either something to give to recruitment, or if all else failed, a basis for a Forgery.

1 minute ago, Voidus said:

"What can you tell us about yourself?" She asked. "Beyond being a Skybreaker."

"I am of the Fourth Ideal, in search of the Fifth, despite what Nale says. I took the Third Oath to dedicate myself to the purity of the Vorin religion within Jah Keved, and I took another to crusade against my own innate rage and loss of control during combat."

Lita watched Laurelai twirl and click the pen, this time recognizing some of the movements from her own study of the Alleycant medallion. She wondered where this would lead - a Knight Radiant was a powerful ally to have in one's corner, but she had to admit, this wasn't exactly where she expected one of them to end up.

"And these Oaths of yours," she said, "they won't...conflict with some of our methods?"

She didn't have much experience interacting with Radiants, but the few she'd met had seemed a bit too good to fit in with a guild like this. Still, she'd never met a Skybreaker. Maybe they were different? Okome certainly didn't blush at the idea of carrying around two random dead people.

@Godhunter

24 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Lita watched Laurelai twirl and click the pen, this time recognizing some of the movements from her own study of the Alleycant medallion. She wondered where this would lead - a Knight Radiant was a powerful ally to have in one's corner, but she had to admit, this wasn't exactly where she expected one of them to end up.

"And these Oaths of yours," she said, "they won't...conflict with some of our methods?"

She didn't have much experience interacting with Radiants, but the few she'd met had seemed a bit too good to fit in with a guild like this. Still, she'd never met a Skybreaker. Maybe they were different? Okome certainly didn't blush at the idea of carrying around two random dead people.

@Godhunter

"I may not be able to fight, but I am not afraid of corpses. After how many I have created, it would be a little like being afraid of a sculpture you made. Senseless. As long as you do not ask me to fight, I believe everything will be fine."

@ZincAboutIt

Edited by Godhunter

Has this character been approved? A fourth ideal KR is really high, and I don't remember seeing one.

Laurelai approached the two bodies on the wall, looking a little closer at them. There wasn't anything too unusual about the bodies, other than the means of death for one of them, she also didn't recognize them from anywhere. Why had someone thought the DA would want one of them dead?

She shook her head slightly to dismiss the thought, it was likely some project for a department, or even an individual denizen, that she wasn't familiar with. But regardless, she was the one who had found it first, which made it her problem now.

"And how do you feel about other people fighting?" She asked as she looked back at the man. Okame if she'd heard correctly? "We have plenty of people who don't do a lot of front-line fighting, myself included, but you'd still have to interact regularly with those who do."

Radiants could be frustratingly stubborn about their oaths and how rigidly they adhered to them, it was one of the reasons that the DA tended to spike surges from spren directly rather than stealing the bond with one. It meant more spikes, but less restrictions.

21 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Mac sat quietly in his office, watching the latest intelligence reports roll in, when his alleycant pen started moving.

He watched it quietly, his mouth dropping lower after every word, then in a stunned whisper said "The Stranger, is back? Wha- What does this mean? Voidus has to know." 

He stood up in a hurry and slowly made his way over to the door. The stranger had been gone for years! And now he was seen! What did this mean? More science? More Cookies? This- this was incredible! 

For the first time in years Mac felt pure unadulterated Joy. This could change everything. He stepped into the alleys and yelled at the top of his lungs "THE STRANGER HAS BEEN SEENISH! EVERYONE! AN ASPECT OF THE STRANGER WAS SPOTTED!!!!!!!!!!!" With that said he ran to Voidus' office and started banging on the door.

Voidus sat in his office, a steel spike held idly in one hand. In rapid succession he stabbed himself in each of the thirty eight bindpoint on his left hand, striking with pinpoint accuracy through each one. Blood began to seep out of the wounds for a moment but was shortly pulled back as the wounds were healed.

It was a simple exercise, one they used to give to new denizens to help them learn bindpoints and become used to the cycle of pain and relief brought from healing. Nowadays many took shortcuts, using unsealed copperminds to learn the bindpoints. But Voidus still believed there was benefit to the old techniques like this, there was no better way to learn than to get your hands a little bloody.

The door burst open suddenly, Mac springing into the room with a strange expression on his face that took Voidus a second to identify. Was Mac smiling? And so soon after exhausting himself from their previous training?

"What in the world..."  Voidus muttered.

Mac didn't seem like he'd broken from the stress, but what could possibly cause such a sudden shift in his personality?

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

Has this character been approved? A fourth ideal KR is really high, and I don't remember seeing one.

Yeah, he got approved. It was a little bit ago and he hasn't done...pretty much anything...so that might be why you missed him. Ask Mac, that's who did the approving.

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

"And how do you feel about other people fighting?" She asked as she looked back at the man. Okame if she'd heard correctly? "We have plenty of people who don't do a lot of front-line fighting, myself included, but you'd still have to interact regularly with those who do."

"It is not my problem what others do, only what happens within myself. Suits the both of us just fine."

Edited by Godhunter

I approved Okame, it was approved in private and then posted on the general thread where I copied it over to the main list.

"Is everything alright?" Voidus asked.

Mac stood for a moment, catching his breath. Then he grinned again. "Everything is Awesome! And no, I am not high again. The Stranger, or should I say an aspect of the stranger has been spotted! He could be back!" He paused for a moment. "We should start planning a party for when he fully comes back. I've never met him myself, he was before my time, but a legend such as he definitely deserves a big welcome back. This is huge! I cannot believe that this is actually happening! I never thought I would get to see him."

Suddenly Mac paused, remembering who he was in front of. He cleared his throat and straightened his suit. He muttered an apology then said "Err yeah. That's about it actually. Sorry to bother you." He started moving toward the door, as if to leave.

@Voidus

Faintly in the distance a trumpet fanfare could be heard growing louder as Maq, Makc, and Mackc approadhed the group

As Maq was lead to Laurelai, the new radient, and Lita he grinned. We are like the three musketeers. The three Maqueteers.

Maq cleared his throat. Motioning to Mackc to stop the music. The fanfare stopped.

"Hello folks," He started awkwardly, "I'm not used to doing stuff like this so sorry if its awkward. But uh Mac has a mission for you, should you choose to accept it.

This new group in the city is trying to set up something or another. You guys shouldn't be in any trouble, just alleytravel in and out if things start to go south. Monitor and watch, record all the information. Preferably send us live updates. Are you in?"

@ZincAboutIt @Godhunter

5 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

This new group in the city is trying to set up something or another. You guys shouldn't be in any trouble, just alleytravel in and out if things start to go south. Monitor and watch, record all the information. Preferably send us live updates. Are you in?"

"I do not know how I would be sending live updates with no spanreed, but presumably this mission's partner knows things that I do not about such things. I'll gladly attend this."

8 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

"This new group in the city is trying to set up something or another. You guys shouldn't be in any trouble, just alleytravel in and out if things start to go south. Monitor and watch, record all the information. Preferably send us live updates. Are you in?"

Lita felt her eyes widen. "A party?"  She hadn't been to a party in forever. But what would she wear? Oh rusts, her hair was a mess - she didn't even have any makeup on. Still, she probably didn't have much time for primping. Lita could feel a pout coming on, but restrained herself. She was a spy, not a socialite. 

"I'm in, definitely," Lita said, grinning. "Live updates should be no trouble. Hey, is there some kind of wardrobe Alley full of all the old clothes of the, um, volunteers we gather? I hate to ask but, well, I didn't exactly bring my party clothes with me from the tavern."

It was a long shot, but then, nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

9 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"I'm in, definitely," Lita said, grinning. "Live updates should be no trouble. Hey, is there some kind of wardrobe Alley full of all the old clothes of the, um, volunteers we gather? I hate to ask but, well, I didn't exactly bring my party clothes with me from the tavern."

Maq thought for a moment. There had to be some alley like that? Right? No, not of the old clothes. But in one of the matter replication alleys there had to be something.

"I don't think we save the old clothes of test subjects, but there are a few matter generation alleys, one of those may have clothes. Those are somewhere in between the 65800's and the 68800's. I'm not that great at the alleys though, so I would be careful."

33 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

"One question: how would we be getting to the location?"

Lita considered Maq's words, chewing her lip for a moment. Was it worth it? Likely not. "Another time," she said. Then, she turned to Okame.

"Give me a moment, five minutes...er... eight minutes. Make sure you get the address for that invite, I just learned how to Alleytravel yesterday-ish. That's how we'll be getting there."

@Godhunter

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

"Give me a moment, five minutes...er... eight minutes. Make sure you get the address for that invite, I just learned how to Alleytravel yesterday-ish. That's how we'll be getting there."

"Alright. I'm ready when you are. Where is the location?" Okame directed his question towards the spokesman of the messenger trio.

@MacThorstenson

2 minutes ago, Godhunter said:

"Alright. I'm ready when you are. Where is the location?" Okame directed his question towards the spokesman of the messenger trio.

@MacThorstenson

Maq took his cane and tapped Makc who produced a wristband, scroll, and computer chip.

"He is giving you everything we were given. I was told that the computer chip had a map on it, I don't know how to access that though. It should be relatively easy to figure out, considering that you all can see."

1 minute ago, MacThorstenson said:

Maq took his cane and tapped Makc who produced a wristband, scroll, and computer chip.

"He is giving you everything we were given. I was told that the computer chip had a map on it, I don't know how to access that though. It should be relatively easy to figure out, considering that you all can see."

Is this the point that Okame reveals he has literally no idea what a computer is? He's essentially only been on Roshar his whole life, came here, went to the Tavern (nothing advanced there) and then came here.

21 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Everything is Awesome!

The entire DA then took a 30 minute break to do a full rendition of 'Everything is awesome'.

Voidus sat, staring blankly for a moment.

"Wait." He said, just as Mac was turning to leave.

The corner of Voidus' mouth curved upwards, some of the tension faded from him, His clenched jaw unlocked, the near-permanent frown he usually wore smoothed out, and his shoulders settled into a relaxed posture.

"If an Aspect of his has been spotted then he'll be returning sometime soon. And you're right, we should have something to welcome him back."

Voidus stood, looking towards the ceiling though once again seeming to look through it more than anything. He still couldn't see where the Stranger was, but knowing that his old friend was returning would indeed be welcome news.

"But before that, you seem to have recovered nicely from our training." A smile still tugged at the corner of Voidus' mouth, but the rest of his expression settled back into a business-like mask. "Are you ready for the next steps?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laurelai nodded politely as the Macs spoke, she had never been entirely certain of the relationships between the various Macs, but Mac had never led her astray since she'd joined the Alley. If he had a mission for her then she would do her best to complete it. Plus she'd likely get the chance to try a few different Soulstamps while mingling.

For the barest instant her mouth twitched into a sly grin before it settled once more into a simple, polite smile.

"I've got a wardrobe as well if needed." She commented to Lita.

Laurelai needed to keep a range of clothes, multiple styles, even some made for different builds. Soulstamps that went back far enough could affect her growth so she needed a small range to hand for emergencies.

Lita ducked back into the rooms behind the pale blue door, emerging approximately eight minutes later looking slightly less like she had just woken up, and slightly more like she was going to a party. She'd managed to find a dress in one of the drawers in the little bedroom, and it was even green, which made up for the rather boring neckline. She decided to leave her hair down, and kept the Alleycant medallion tied onto her arm, bringing the little spanreed pen with her. The Stranger's coin was a comforting weight in the pocket of the dress.

"Right," she said, addressing Okame and the three others. "I see you've got everything?" She put out a hand for the items.

3 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Right," she said, addressing Okame and the three others. "I see you've got everything?" She put out a hand for the items.

"Yes, though I am confused as to the little rectangle. What is this?" he asked, handing the items over.

Edited by Godhunter

3 minutes ago, Voidus said:

"I've got a wardrobe as well if needed." She commented to Lita.

Lita looked at Laurelai. Don't do it, she told herself. You don't have time. But maybe she had a little time?

"Really?" She tried not to look too excited. Spy, you're a spy. She clenched her fists to keep from clapping her hands like a little child. 

Then she looked over to Okame, who was staring blankly at the little computer chip. "It's like a fabrial," she said, trying to remember the little Rosharan vocabulary she knew. "A very small, complicated fabrial."

"Yes, though I am confused as to the little rectangle. What is this?"  Okame asked, holding the chip out.

Not just new to the Alleys then, new to the entire Alleyverse? Laurelai noted. Well he'll be in for a bit of a culture shock. I wonder if he's going to faint when he sees all the exposed safehands?

She'd seen it before, some people didn't adjust too well to suddenly being in a giant boiling pot of different cultures clashing together. Nobles tended to do the worst though. She'd seen a Scadrian Noble get half his teeth knocked out once when he assumed that a Lighteyes must be a commoner guard if he was stupid enough to use a metal sword.

"These don't have spren." She said drily. "Something else drives them, though it's somewhat similar. I don't think you'll be able to see these ones."

She looked over at Lita, who it seems had already found an outfit.

"You already had something? Wonderful. I might still need to change myself though."

Wearing a dress that she'd stayed up all night studying in would likely not be appropriate. She'd have to think of something new to wear. Maybe something Alethi? Try to blend in with the Skybreaker?