Who are you?

Aminar

54 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Scud. Okay, could you delete those ones I tried to hide of you can? I'm going to try and get everyone reading into a PM that way it doesn't show when searched and I can still show it to them, because some of them do give feedback.

Hmm, that's one for the moderators of Creator's Corner, I think. @Silk knows more about these things than I do. 

Okay, will do. So, question, I'm about to do my first submission and want to make sure I'm doing everything correct. So is a Microsoft word document a docx. file type, or do I have to convert it? Do I send the email with the file before or after I am confirmed a slot? Sorry to basically ask for a walkthrough, but I like to confirm on my first attempt.

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Okay, will do. So, question, I'm about to do my first submission and want to make sure I'm doing everything correct. So is a Microsoft word document a docx. file type, or do I have to convert it? Do I send the email with the file before or after I am confirmed a slot? Sorry to basically ask for a walkthrough, but I like to confirm on my first attempt.

Very good question. We have it pretty formatted so that 1) emails are easy to find and 2) it goes smoothly. You can find all instructions on the pinned Welcome to Reading Excuses thread:

Send your email after you have been confirmed a slot. General rule of thumb is, ask for a slot on Friday, on Sunday @Silk says who has the green light, and on Sunday night/Monday you send out your submission. 

You can do docx. or pdf. No jpg. No Google Docs (some people don't use Gmail. One particular person here uses Hotmail). The old Word file doc. can give people trouble. 

Please choose a readable font (Times New Roman, Arial, Georgia, Calibri, etc) of 10-12 size depending on the font with 1 inch margins if you know how. Pretend it is a school essay. Titles are optional, as well as header page numbers. I really like header page numbers, though. I find they help me when critiquing. 

Easiest way to make sure you have everything labeled correctly is to copy and paste someone else's title (say, any of mine), then replace it with your information. Add Reading Excuses to your subject line in the email version of your title. 

You are welcome to PM if you want me to double check your submission before you send it. I've been doing this for...more than 6 months, so I've got the system down. 

Thanks for asking!

Edited by Snakenaps

Yeah, please do read the guidelines. Used to be some folks could not handle .docx. I think it's more accepted now.

I don't think the guidelines say Time New Roman (Do they? Goodness knows the last time I read them.)

The best practice, IMO, would be to treat it like your were submitted to a publisher. Read the guidelines, and/or research proper publishing format, which is something you should be doing anyway. Don't wait until your first submission to a market before you learn who to format.

This is a good starting point: https://www.shunn.net/format/

15 minutes ago, Robinski said:

Yeah, please do read the guidelines. Used to be some folks could not handle .docx. I think it's more accepted now.

I don't think the guidelines say Time New Roman (Do they? Goodness knows the last time I read them.)

The best practice, IMO, would be to treat it like your were submitted to a publisher. Read the guidelines, and/or research proper publishing format, which is something you should be doing anyway. Don't wait until your first submission to a market before you learn who to format.

This is a good starting point: https://www.shunn.net/format/

Thank you for the link, I have read the guidelines, I was just clarifying with those I didn't completely understand or as unsure of, and I am somewhat aware of the publishing format. Also, yes, it says times new roman. 

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I was just clarifying with those I didn't completely understand or as unsure of

Thank you for clarifying! And thank you for reading the guidelines. You'd be surprised at how many don't. 

2 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Also, yes, it says times new roman. 

Hah! I was right! Still, I don't think anyone would get upset if you used Arial or Georgia or something. The whole font rule is there (I would assume) to prevent people from submitting with fancy cursive, unreadable fonts they feel fits their character or story. 

1 minute ago, Snakenaps said:

Thank you for clarifying! And thank you for reading the guidelines. You'd be surprised at how many don't. 

Hah! I was right! Still, I don't think anyone would get upset if you used Arial or Georgia or something. The whole font rule is there (I would assume) to prevent people from submitting with fancy cursive, unreadable fonts they feel fits their character or story. 

I already did it in Times New Roman, and I learned the proper spacing and font size in a video. I just got confused about whether Microsoft word is Docx because I am bad with computers. Also, you're welcome for clarifying, thank you for helping me clarify, and you're welcome for proving you correct. This Monday is going to be exciting!

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I just got confused about whether Microsoft word is Docx because I am bad with computers.

In case you didn't know this, you can download Google Doc files as Word docx. files. 

2 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

This Monday is going to be exciting!

I hope so! I love submitting! I hope you enjoy it as well! I typically get to critiquing the following weekend (if you submit Monday, November 16th, then I'll probably critique it around November 20/21st). So don't think I'm forgetting you if you don't get my opinion immediately. 

9 hours ago, Snakenaps said:
9 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Also, yes, it says times new roman. 

Well, there you go. I feel this is a bit outdated, BUT, some publishers are still very strict about what fonts they will accept. Others are more flexible, and specify a 'plain' font, or specific one or two different options. Anyway, I stand corrected about the guidelines. Also, it appears I haven't been following them for the last 2 years :unsure: 

Hi all :) Kara here!

I probably have the least amount of writing experience here but we all gotta start somewhere, right?

I despise talking about myself but I will for just a moment so that I'm not a total stranger.

I recently graduated with an animation and 3D modeling degree and have never done any sort of writing beyond high school English and the occasional essay in college. Though, I always thought I would be decent at it (my creative drive compels me). I started outlining a story back in March (yes, this is a covid born story) and have enjoyed learning all the ins and outs of what it takes to create a real, actual, fully fleshed out story.

I am currently reading the last book in the first law trilogy as well as the lies of locke lamora. My current favorite book is the song of Achilles (the prose is flowery and i love it). I love Greek mythology and I am a HUGE star wars nerd. I guess we're all nerds here, right? No? Overused joke, probably.

Anyway! It's lovely to meet you all! :)

5 minutes ago, karamel said:

Nice to meet you too! Welcome to Reading Excuses AND 17th shard! I think its safe to say that we are all nerds in some way or another. I think most people are. I think its awesome that you had a 3d animation major, as that was something I considered but ultimately didn't do. 

Again, welcome to the forum!

1 hour ago, karamel said:

Hi all :) Kara here!

I probably have the least amount of writing experience here but we all gotta start somewhere, right?

I despise talking about myself but I will for just a moment so that I'm not a total stranger.

I recently graduated with an animation and 3D modeling degree and have never done any sort of writing beyond high school English and the occasional essay in college. Though, I always thought I would be decent at it (my creative drive compels me). I started outlining a story back in March (yes, this is a covid born story) and have enjoyed learning all the ins and outs of what it takes to create a real, actual, fully fleshed out story.

I am currently reading the last book in the first law trilogy as well as the lies of locke lamora. My current favorite book is the song of Achilles (the prose is flowery and i love it). I love Greek mythology and I am a HUGE star wars nerd. I guess we're all nerds here, right? No? Overused joke, probably.

Eh, you'll learn quick. Experience is certainly helpful for improving and recognizing your own flaws, but it doesn't make you incapable and you can probably think of a better story than most people. Will certainly be interested in what you're working on. Also, I just made a thread asking about rubber for a story of mine. Believe me, nerds is an understatement. 

Also, I'm afraid to ask but... do you think the sequels are good writing?

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
5 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

No Aspire just don't ask this, why??? I don't want a replay of the last time. You've already had posts removed recently and said that the mods would likely get mad at you the last time you posted a topic so chill

Edited by Somebody from Sel

4 hours ago, karamel said:

Bingo! One of the key elements of this group is the fact that we range so much in experience. It gives our critiques a more well-rounded view than a lot of groups. After all, you're a reader, right? Then even if you might not have the experience to say exactly why a book is good or bad on a technical level, I bet you know how to feel it. That counts for a lot. 

If you are here and willing to learn, I promise you there is a wealth of knowledge here. And I bet there is a lot you can teach us too. $5 if any of us wrote about animation wrong, you'd be able to tell us in a heartbeat. I'm kind of the horse gal here, for example. We all have our interests that extend beyond writing. 

I recently graduated with an animation and 3D modeling degre

Congratulations! Have you been using Maya? My sister is in visual effects and she has been using Maya and Z-Brush. 

lies of locke lamora. My current favorite book is the song of Achilles (the prose is flowery and i love it).

1) The Gentleman Bastard series rocks

2) Have you read Circe yet??? Is it any good? I read The Song of Achilles and the end made me cry. 

I am a HUGE star wars nerd

Dude, same. Are you watching The Mandalorian??? Favorite character? I'm a nut for Clone Wars. Absolutely adore Ahsoka and Maul, but I have always needed more Cad Bane. 

I guess we're all nerds here, right? No? Overused joke, probably.

*Gasp* Us!? Nerds! Neeeeever...

Welcome!!! Lovely to meet you too!

3 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I am skeptical to answer this based off the previous post, but I will try to give my two cents with a question to myself!

Do I think there are better, more well written stories out there? 110 % yes. Sequel or no, star wars is by no means at the top of my list when I think of story telling, that is to say I am equating good writing to good story telling. But I still love it! It's always a fun time, no matter your opinion on the any of the movies. I don't look to star wars for an emotional, gripping story, I look to it for a good time. Honestly of all things star wars, rebels had some of the most interesting and compelling stories. Dave Filoni is great at what he does and he inspired me in a lot of ways!

I know there are a lot of people with strong opinions out there and I am not one of them! So, I don't really care if people love or hate any of the movies :) We're all human, just trying to enjoy what we like and avoid what we don't. Nothing wrong with that :) 

Hope this post wasn't too pointless for me to end up implying that I have no opinion and don't care haha.

3 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

Congratulations! Have you been using Maya? My sister is in visual effects and she has been using Maya and Z-Brush.

Yes, Maya! Though, I haven't used the program in a while and have been focusing more on painting digitally with procreate and of course, writing!

4 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

2) Have you read Circe yet??? Is it any good? I read The Song of Achilles and the end made me cry.

I have not read Circe, but it's in my reading list! AND HECK YEAH I CRIED TOO but it was great. I love sad things >:)

6 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

Dude, same. Are you watching The Mandalorian??? Favorite character? I'm a nut for Clone Wars. Absolutely adore Ahsoka and Maul, but I have always needed more Cad Bane.

I am literally about to watch the newest episode of The Mandalorian! I am stoked for next week's episode because Ahsoka! I love Ahsoka and Maul too! Maul is such a great "villain." When he showed up in Solo, I squealed. Cad Bane is awesome as well! Wish we got more of him honestly. Ventress is another favorite of mine because I love her character arc!

5 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

No Aspire just don't ask this, why??? I don't want a replay of the last time. You've already had posts removed recently and said that the mods would likely get mad at you the last time you posted a topic so chill

Hi there! I'm not sure what moderators you're referring to in particular, but as the moderator of the RE subforums I have no problem with the question being asked. We're a dedicated critique group and have all manner of craft-oriented discussions here (though I suggest the lounge thread for general discussion). No one is obligated to engage with a discussion they don't want to engage with, here or elsewhere on 17th Shard.

On 2020-11-11 at 1:32 AM, Robinski said:

Hmm, that's one for the moderators of Creator's Corner, I think. @Silk knows more about these things than I do. 

Sorry folks, not sure how I missed these tags before. I can take a look at the threads in this forum and delete anything that needs deleting, but I only have moderating permissions here on the RE forum. Anything on Creator's Corner you'll have to request from the mods there. And I'm guessing that hiding the text in a forum post with a spoilers tag wouldn't affect the search engines, because they're only scraping for content, whereas a "hide text" thing on this forum is a visual formatting tool.

Also, welcome @Aspiring Writer and @karamel to the group!

Edit: to clarify on the font question, the guidelines suggest Times New Roman and Courier as they’re generally accepted standards (maybe they aren’t anymore?) but the actual rule is just to make sure you’re submitting in a legible font.

Edited by Silk

Hey everyone,

I've been around for well over a year now, but since I don't think I've ever formally introduced myself and because I haven't been actively critiquing much since august due to an incredibly schedule so the newest people don't know me, I figure I should post something here.

I'm Turin Turanbar (yes, I know the name is technically spelled wrong). I've been writing since elementary school, and started only a little after reading. I absolutely love reading fantasy in every way shape and form (which should be a given), starting with HP, then chronicles of Narnia and then Lord of the Rings by 9 or 10. I'm the kind of stuck up idiot who read war and peace before high school for fun, and I'm currently trying to plow through most of the books from writing excuses book of the week and the books that Daniel Greene reviewed.

In regards to hobbies I'm also learning violin. I'm still unsure what I want to do with my life but I know that I want do go into creative design and mostly leaning towards architecture as a major. I know you were complaining about them recently @Robinski - don't worry, I don't take it personally. Still, whenever I see anyone do anything competently I'm usually immediately jealous and have to resist trying to teach myself whatever skill it is. (I'm an INTJ-A for those who like MBTI and yes, I'm aware that there's a confirmation bias there) (There's a tad too many parentheses, aren't there...)

Some of the best books in my objective opinion: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court and The Rook. Tolkien's works are sacrosanct and he can do no wrong. I don't really see what's the hype about Joe Abercrombie, the Unkindness of Magicians, and a Darker Shade of Magic. PLEASE change my mind here.

On 21/11/2020 at 0:06 AM, karamel said:

lies of locke lamora

Hi Kara, nice to meet you. Welcome to the group :) 

I wish I hadn't read the Locke Lamora books so that I could read them again for the first time. Just wonderful. IMO, that is the level of writing we all need to be aiming at and aspiring too. That is the level of character depth and engagement that I want every time I start reading.

Edited by Robinski

On 21/11/2020 at 4:57 AM, karamel said:

I know there are a lot of people with strong opinions out there and I am not one of them! So, I don't really care if people love or hate any of the movies :) We're all human, just trying to enjoy what we like and avoid what we don't. Nothing wrong with that :) 

Hope this post wasn't too pointless for me to end up implying that I have no opinion and don't care haha.

Well said! Not pointless at all. I think that's a very healthy perspective :) 

9 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

know that I want do go into creative design and mostly leaning towards architecture as a major. I know you were complaining about them recently @Robinski - don't worry, I don't take it personally.

:rolleyes: 

It's just friendly engineer/architect banter. They do an important job, and architecture today is so much better than in the 60/70/80s, as a general rule, certainly domestic and commercial architecture, I think. Joking aside, I love good architecture. There is nothing quite as satisfying as a thoughtfully and interestingly designed building, and architects have a key role in pushing forward the critically important sustainability objectives that we all should be building our lives around.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, I joined a few weeks ago and sorta forgot about it for a while. I plan to start being active here in days to come. 

I just finished year 9 (southern hemisphere gang) and  write for creative relief to my crazy ideas. I've been writing for a little over a year, however, I like to barf all my ideas onto a page, never even reding through the complete draft of the story. I don't consider myself a good writer and often get unnessicarily self-conscious of my work, hopefully this will change in days to come. I usually write short stories; I would like to write a novel one day when I manage to think up an idea that I actual want to stick with. Hopefully I'll still be hanging around here when I do. 

My experience in critiquing stuff is limited. I once critiqued and edited a friends novel which was heavily inspired by Mistborn. Other than that, I do a few passages on Reddit from time to time but that's pretty much it. 

Apart from Sanderson's work, some of my favourite series/books include The Wheel of Time, the Belagriad and The Fellowship of the Ring.