Aminar

Who are you?

284 posts in this topic

On 08/10/2020 at 5:35 PM, Snakenaps said:

You still haven't let me read any M works and I'm still a little bitter after reading one of the last chapters when I first joined. Come on, there were velociraptors. That stuff is rad. One day...one day I'll convince you...

I'm afraid the thing about to appear does not feature M a great deal, but she is in it. Another teaser!! ;) 

6 hours ago, Robinski said:

I'm afraid the thing about to appear does not feature M a great deal, but she is in it. Another teaser!! ;) 

I shall wait (im)patiently. 

Better late than never, I suppose. 

Let me start by saying I am new to this.

I began writing about 7 years ago. More worldbuilding than writing, really, but I have finally starting getting into the prose side of things. It was a bit intimidating at first, but once I figured out what I wanted (which only took seven years) it started to become a lot more enjoyable for me. My background is in construction, so I don't find a lot of time for getting out my notebooks and working on my story, but that hasn't stopped me so far. I am currently only a couple chapters in and I will say that what you guys will see will already have been through two or three iterations by the time I will have the balls to share with the class. I am a bit weird, as I enjoy writing things down in my notebooks first before typing things up. 

I enjoy most levels of fantasy, but sci/fi can be a little hard for me to get into sometimes. Some of my favorites are: Brandon Sanderson, Wheel of Time, The Dark Tower, The First Law Trilogy, and David Eddings. I love characters that show their true natures, specifically characters with grey moral compasses. This is something I am hoping to bring out in my own characters, as I feel that it makes them much more relatable. 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! I look forward to working with everyone and am hoping to make some new friends as well. 

40 minutes ago, sniperfrog said:

Better late than never, I suppose. 

Exactly! Welcome @sniperfrog !

I completely understand the more-worldbuilding-less-writing. I don't know about you, but I get a nasty case of Worldbuilder's Disease. 

43 minutes ago, sniperfrog said:

I will say that what you guys will see will already have been through two or three iterations by the time I will have the balls to share with the class.

You could give us your first draft and I'd still be excited to read something new. You can't write worse than one of my first grade students. 

46 minutes ago, sniperfrog said:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Do you like pizza? This is a very important question. 

Also, do you have any pets, and, if so, pics?????

2 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

You could give us your first draft and I'd still be excited to read something new. You can't write worse than one of my first grade students. 

Do you like pizza? This is a very important question. 

Also, do you have any pets, and, if so, pics?????

I will definitely be sharing. I am excited to get new eyes on the project, as my roommates are the only ones that I have shared with so far. 

Yes to pizza. Always yes to pizza.

Unfortunately, my roommate is allergic to pets, so my cat Perseus had to go with my ex wife after the divorce. I unfortunately do not have any pics of him to post. 

Hey, @sniperfrog, welcome to RE. I’m always excited to read any new voice, also, it’s amazing what you can glean (I think), even from someone’s posts, about their basic prose, so I don’t have any worries on that front.

My own background is related to construction as I’m a Civil Engineer by training, and a transport planner by profession, so there :).

I’m looking forward to reading your stuff. We don’t sugarcoat the feedback, but you’ll be used to that in construction! ;)

19 hours ago, sniperfrog said:

Yes to pizza. Always yes to pizza.

Unfortunately, my roommate is allergic to pets, so my cat Perseus had to go with my ex wife after the divorce. I unfortunately do not have any pics of him to post. 

Yay! Pizza!

I pity your roommate, but I adore cats. I have one of my own, Juniper. 

@sniperfrog

Welcome! 

I think the depth and breadth of different knowlege bases and experiences in this writing group is awesome! It sounds like you have a lot to add. 

I'm new as well compared to most here. 

I look forward to reading your work!

On 10/13/2020 at 6:33 PM, sniperfrog said:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! I look forward to working with everyone and am hoping to make some new friends as well. 

Nice to meet you!