Aminar

Who are you?

255 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My name is Piper, and I'm cat vacuuming at 1:00am. Meaning: I'm introducing myself to all of you so I can put off writing.

I've always loved to read, and my dad introduced me to SF/F when I was young. Writing was a natural next step to take.The first book I wrote was a Bob Book. (For those of you who don't know what the heck I'm talking about: Bob Books are short picture books with extremely simple sentences, e.g. Mat sat on Pat.) I was five, and my little brother was learning to read. In case you're wondering, it was really bad. I wrote another book in third grade about Halloween; it was 12 chapters (I thought that was super long), and I made my dad illustrate it. That was also a really bad book. The next book I wrote was -- you guessed it -- very bad. I started it in fifth grade and finished it in sixth grade. It was about 50,000 words; a legitimate middle grade book.

I am currently working on a book; I've written about 30,000 words out of an estimated 90-100,000, and all I can do is hope I've acquired the skills by now to write a decent piece of fiction for once.

Favorite non-Sandersons: Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card (he would be my favorite author, but he turned out to be a bigot); Fuzzy Nation, John Scalzi; Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman; the Watchmen comic; and Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Now that everyone who's made it to the end of this post knows of my infinite geekiness, I must kill you all. Expect assassins.

Oh -- and I'm excited to be part of the community, yadda yadda yadda. (I get crabby late at night.)

Edited by PiedPeterPiper

Hi @PiedPeterPiper,

Welcome to the group. Having read the sample in your message, I think you're going to fit in just fine :). There are skills there. It is not bad!

As for geekiness, well, you've come to the right place. Anti-geek assassins tend to turn around at the door, recognising they are hopelessly outnumbered.

have you read the original Fuzzy stories, ironically by H. Beam Piper?

1 hour ago, PiedPeterPiper said:

he would be my favorite author, but he turned out to be a bigot

Yes, always regrettable when such good writing is not produced by a good person. I also love that story.

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

have you read the original Fuzzy stories, ironically by H. Beam Piper?

I have not read them yet, but I will have read them in -- let's give it two weeks.

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

Yes, always regrettable when such good writing is not produced by a good person. I also love that story.

I'm pretty sure, at least, that he doesn't get royalties from the Ender's Game sales (although I don't know about the rest of the series), so I don't feel bad recommending it to people.

@PiedPeterPiper

Welcome! Glad you're joining us! Ender's Game was one of the first non-Anne McCaffrey sci-fi books I read. Orson Scott Card might have many opinions I do not share, but I've learned a lot from his writings. 

I too am an avid cat vacuumer. I hope you haven't procrastinated to the point where you write every word on an index card and have started switching them around. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

I too am an avid cat vacuumer. I hope you haven't procrastinated to the point where you write every word on an index card and have started switching them around. 

Not quite so extreme, but thanks for the idea!

Don't worry, I'm kidding. Right now, I'm wasting my time by annotating Oathbringer in the Alethi Women's Script.

And on Orson Scott Card:

Every conversation I have about him is bittersweet, because I'm like: "his character and relationship work is AMAZING!" and also "I hate his living guts!"

Edited by PiedPeterPiper