Who are you?

Aminar

On 11/19/2019 at 11:27 PM, Robinski said:

I look foreword to reading your stuff, and hearing your cries down the road maybe :) 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:49 AM, GoWibble said:

:o

I laughed so hard at this.

Hey @Robinski, you know you can just turn off autocorrect, right?

• 4 weeks later...

Yo!

My name is Tyler. By day I drive people around town via lyft/uber and attend classes in pursuit of a degree in English education. Free time is spent with my wife, three dogs, and a cat. Currently, I'm about 55k into a sci-fantasy novel. A meeting with an editor at a local writing conference has bolstered my confidence and am eager to get this first draft done (then revised and rerevised).

Currently reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. Before that I read the City & the City by China Mieville. Eagerly anticipating Stormlight IV.

Hello! I'm Liz Busby. I'm a stay-at-home mom of four kids (11, 9, 6, 3) whose youngest has just started preschool and finally given me time (and brain space) to start writing again. I graduated with a BA in English 11 years ago and worked at the writing center while I was in college. Most of my past writing has been in creative non-fiction (personal essays, etc), but I do most of my reading in SFF so I decided to give writing fiction a shot. I participated in and won NaNoWriMo this year with my first ever novel. It was a train wreck and proved that I have a long way to go with learning how to write fiction, but there were a couple of scenes I liked so that's good. My current writing goal is to write a short story in each of the elemental genres from WE season 11, then try another novel in the spring. I'm looking to build some good writing friends here, so I'm excited to meet you all.

Outside of writing, I love long distance running and yoga, though I've been sidelined with chronic back pain for which I had surgery last year. I'm working hard in physical therapy to get back out there. Other hobbies my kids have sidelined are knitting and video games. I also over-organize everything. I have spreadsheets for every aspect of being a stay-at-home parent and spend way too much time taking care of them. I also love reading SFF and non-fiction. Just finished The Sixth Extinction and the Murderbot Diaries. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! My name is Katie, and I am an aspiring author/illustrator working to polish my first book for querying in November 2020. I'm currently running on the first round of revisions and will be submitting my first chapter or two in April, hopefully. I am currently working part-time as an elementary substitute teacher to have time to write and paint. I've always written since I was in kindergarten (The Encyclopedia of Unicorns and Pegasus, illustrated by yours truly at the whooping age of five) and have decided, hey man, might as well try to get published. In 2018, I absolutely razed the book I was outlining to the ground, took the heart of it, and outlined and worldbuilt like a mad-man. August 2019, spurred on by Writing Excuses, I wrote my rough draft in five months, ending it at 119,595 words. Now I've begun "killing my darlings" and am trying to create the most polished piece I can. I've never really had any writing friends or anyone I can talk to about writing, which was one of the many reasons I decided to join the forum.

I am most looking forward to going to the World Fantasy Convention in October and learning everything I can about the business of publishing. I am especially terrified of potentially meeting Brandon Sanderson and stumbling over my words like a fool, when I'd really just like to thank him for getting me on this path. 

I own a ball python named Virgil (ergo the username), am a great baker but only a passable cook, have ridden horses since I was eight but have never owned one, and have a bad habit staying up late reading on school nights. I just picked up The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto at my local library today. 

Welcome @Snakenaps! Glad to have you on the board and looking forward to your first sub! A few of us on here are published, and I'm agented, so feel free to ask questions about any of that stuff in the lounge if you have specific questions. Otherwise, looking forward to see you around!

Just now, kais said:

Welcome @Snakenaps! Glad to have you on the board and looking forward to your first sub! A few of us on here are published, and I'm agented, so feel free to ask questions about any of that stuff in the lounge if you have specific questions. Otherwise, looking forward to see you around!

Thank you! I will definitely have more questions about finding agents and such as October approaches...probably during the summer. Right now, it won't matter how much I know about the submission processes and etiquette if I have nothing to submit! Although, admittedly, I have been learning a bit. I picked the brain of the author of the children's Tapestry books, Henry H. Neff since he successfully did what I want to do: write and illustrate his own books. Of course, I am aiming for a more mature audience, but I'm hoping to persuade for chapter art. Again, won't matter if I can't convince anyone to take a look at the book first. And I have to have a book for that! 

Small steps, small steps...

Hi! I'm Kidpen, or Kid, or Pen, any of those are fine. I'm a high school freshman who has started altogether too many long term projects and not finished any of them. That being said, the project which I tried (and failed due to other responsibilities) to complete during last years NaNoWriMo is something that I've been continuing, and hypothetically may submit somewhere (far) down the line. I'm involved in a lot of things here on the Shard outside of this, including SE and a roleplay or 2.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what types of things are critiqued and what the writing process is like for everyone.

Hi there all you wonderful people,

I'm Joris, but I go by killersquid due to a very memorable druid in a DnD game. I've written for as long as i can remember, but it's only the last year i've started looking at writers and listening to their talks at conventions and all that that I realised, hang on, I can actually be an author too!

I write epic fantasy (or at least I'm working on epic fantasy) and love most books in that genre, i have a very high need for escapism so i will read almost any book that draws me in and enjoy it even if it isn't that good. my favourites though, are the cliff chronicles (i think they're called, i read them in dutch), mistborn and the slow regard of silent things.

I have a full time job so most of my writing is done at night and cannibalising sleep so if you ever read my stuff in the future and think 'was he high when he wrote this?' the answer is no, just tired.

On 3/4/2020 at 10:35 AM, killersquid said:

very memorable druid in a DnD game

Oh no XD As a DM, I always fear slightly when I hear "very memorable!" There's nothing like leaving your mark in DnD! 

I, unfortunately, am "very memorable" for accidentally killing one of my players when I set 13 sharks on them in an enclosed trap room... Whoops! I hope the name "Killersquid" has to do with your battle prowess, and not an unfortunate accident! 

1 hour ago, Snakenaps said:

Oh no XD As a DM, I always fear slightly when I hear "very memorable!" There's nothing like leaving your mark in DnD! 

I, unfortunately, am "very memorable" for accidentally killing one of my players when I set 13 sharks on them in an enclosed trap room... Whoops! I hope the name "Killersquid" has to do with your battle prowess, and not an unfortunate accident! 

I was a squid, things died,  let's not go into who or what exactly died and leave it there.