This all comes from my friend, but he doesn't post here, so very little of this is my actual idea.

We were just wondering if The Lord Ruler had the ability to worldhop. If anyone in Scadrial's history could, it would be him.

I believe it's WoB that every Shardworld's arcana has at least one trick that allows for worldhopping. Scadrial has three arcana that we know of. The Lord Ruler was the unquestioned master of Allomancy and Feruchemy. He could use his feruchemy to power his allomancy; nicrosil speculation aside, we have no idea how he did that and no canon examples of anyone doing the same. He prolly knew more hemalurgy than anyone there's ever been on Scadrial. He had exclusive access to the god metals, one of them in enormous quantities. However Scadrian worldhopping happens, odds are very good that The Lord Ruler was at least theoretically capable of doing it.

Then there's his Ascension. In that moment when he held Preservation's power, he could well have gained cosmeric knowledge. The way Sazed realized his Powers were once a part of something greater, Rashek could have realized there were other Powers out there, too.

I realize it's all speculation. I just wonder if it's something The Lord Ruler was aware of.

We have this WoB:

Phantine

How cosmere-aware was the Lord Ruler? If a Returned waltzed into Kredik Shaw, would he have any idea what was going on? Or at least be able to recognize 'hey that guy seems endowmenty'.

Brandon Sanderson

Aware enough to know he wasn't alone, but not so aware that he'd know specifics. He didn't hold the power long enough to explore outward very far.

(source)

I think Leftinch had it.  He vaguely knew about the other stuff in the Cosmere, but he never had a chance to explore.  He was too busy saving/destroying the world instead.

I'd add that he never really had a motive for leaving, either.  He was a terrible ruler, but he wasn't so careless as to leave his species alone with just Ruin, bound or otherwise.

I actually thought he might be more interested in mass exodus than personal escape. Maybe just take a few thousand from the Noble Houses and leave the ungrateful Skaa to starve. However, I feel like The Lord Ruler's pride would get in the way of this plan. He wouldn't accept defeat via retreat, or be able to live in a world where he wasn't God.

I realize he wouldn't have figured everything out in the moment he touched the Well of Ascension... but remember, he had another millennium to experiment, and we see from hemalurgy that he likes to experiment. Also, he's got the dark god of destruction whispering into his ear; it could perhaps have served Ruin's interest that Rashek simply run away, so perhaps he mentioned, "Hey, you should mix those two metals and gain a means of escaping this world, and those stupid mortals you keep wasting your time trying to protect while they fight and revolt and generally don't deserve you." Far-fetched? Sure. Possible? I think so.

And if nothing else, we do know that someone managed to make malatium; alloying atium with other metals isn't exactly a difficult intuitive leap for a metallurgist to make after the first few centuries, and The Lord Ruler has the resources to try pretty much everything. As a full feruchemist, he also has the comparatively-safe method of being able to simple touch a metal and feel an "affinity" if it's feruchemically (and thus allomantically) reactive.

Idle question... can tapping gold protect you from the ill effects of burning an impure alloy?

Could things have happened as you say? Yup, almost definitely. Did they? Nope, pretty much conclusive.

I would assume that gold would heal you from the effects, different from protection. What I would be interested in is what burning a impure gold health metalmind would do.

• Chaos locked this topic