Simple Second Trilogy Theory

Chaos

This one won't blow your minds, but I was thinking, since the third trilogy is science fiction and involves going to other worlds, then I believe a major conflict in the second trilogy will be less the Set and more the people on the other side of Scadrial. Really, we can't start going to other planets until we settle that major mystery at home, right? :)

What do you think?

Possible, that. Are there still people left? Also, I am pretty sure Sazed moved Elendel (caverns) from the north pole... So where did he move people from the south pole?

Sazed moved everyone in a storage chamber into one area (where they settle and presumably made Elendel). Anyone not in a chamber was either destroyed by the mists and by Ruin's awesome might, or luckily survived perhaps and set up tiny settlements.

I have no idea how they would have survived, but honestly, we don't even know how they survived without Ashmounts. All we know is that Rashek put them there as a control, so to speak, in case his alterations on humanity didn't work. Brandon's being too coy about it for them to simply die, especially considering they are referenced in the broadsheet. This is important. So... somehow, in some mysterious way, they survived. Dun dun dun.

And, knowing Brandon, there will be a perfectly logical explanation for how it happened that will make us bash our heads in the wall for not seeing it coming.

@Odium's Shard, don't you mean the sun destroying them? The mists were more of a food-level issue. It's the sun that did the most damage in the end.

I most likely did, then. Its not like I got the wrong reference at all...

I'm assuming that there is some sort of weird things going on on the South Pole. Maybe they are busy experimenting with Mistings and Ferrings? Do they even have them? Maybe 17th Shard have visited them without us knowing...?

It's... a conspiracy!

I agree about with Chaos about the men on the other side of the world mainly but, I think they will be a major conflict for the Alloy of Law books. Miles's warnings about "the men of red and gold, bearers of the final metals" and how the people of Elendel will be their slaves is ominous enough, for it seems they will likely have chromium and nicrosil. If this is true then the main character of the next trilogy couldn't be a nicroburst, because they haven't met the folks on the other side of the world yet. Of course maybe they have access to God Metals? My personal thoughts on the southern peoples survival was caves as well, they would just live there full time. If this is true however, those humans could end up looking pretty funky after 1300 hundred years in a cave.

I most likely did, then. Its not like I got the wrong reference at all...

I'm assuming that there is some sort of weird things going on on the South Pole. Maybe they are busy experimenting with Mistings and Ferrings? Do they even have them? Maybe 17th Shard have visited them without us knowing...?

It's... a conspiracy!

Here's what Sanderson said (From the Brandonology)

"And since they were created by Ruin and Preservation, they have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts in them--though without anyone among them having burned Larasium, Allomancers would have been very rare in their population and full Mistborn unheard of. "

Sazed moved everyone in a storage chamber into one area (where they settle and presumably made Elendel). Anyone not in a chamber was either destroyed by the mists and by Ruin's awesome might, or luckily survived perhaps and set up tiny settlements.

In one of the FAQ's (in the Brandonology) Sanderson said that they were still alive.

Q: "3) So here's my last question. If there ARE people on the other side of the world, did Vin kill them all by placing the sun on their side, or do they have they're own Ruin/Preservation battle going on over there as well? Do they also have allomancy feruchemy and hemalurgy? "

A:No, they're not dead. Yes, Rashek was aware of them. In fact, he placed them there as a reserve. I knew he wanted a 'control' group of people in case his changes to genetics ended with the race being in serious trouble. All I'll say is that he found a way other than changing them genetically to help them survive in the world he created. And since they were created by Ruin and Preservation, they have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts in them--though without anyone among them having burned Larasium, Allomancers would have been very rare in their population and full Mistborn unheard of. "

This one won't blow your minds, but I was thinking, since the third trilogy is science fiction and involves going to other worlds, then I believe a major conflict in the second trilogy will be less the Set and more the people on the other side of Scadrial. Really, we can't start going to other planets until we settle that major mystery at home, right? :)

What do you think?

I think that they'll have some significant role to play. It's worth noting also that the Trell/Trelism religion that Miles follows, assuming that it's the same as the "Trelagism" that Sazed discusses in Mistborn, is the religion of the polar people.

I have always believed this. The mystery is too metaplot-ey for the Alloy timeline, and too significant to not be a large focal point.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. I had also been assuming that they survived by having a mostly subterranean civilization, which is good for dodging the impact of both the sun and Sazed remaking the world. That must have been very confusing for them - without Ashmounts, Koloss, or the Lord Ruler, they would have had far less advance warning about the end of the world coming. They wouldn't have gotten the Words Of Founding, either, but no doubt Sazed managed to send a few Kandra among them, so there's no telling what they have "guessed" about the outside world.

I have always believed this. The mystery is too metaplot-ey for the Alloy timeline, and too significant to not be a large focal point.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. I had also been assuming that they survived by having a mostly subterranean civilization, which is good for dodging the impact of both the sun and Sazed remaking the world. That must have been very confusing for them - without Ashmounts, Koloss, or the Lord Ruler, they would have had far less advance warning about the end of the world coming. They wouldn't have gotten the Words Of Founding, either, but no doubt Sazed managed to send a few Kandra among them, so there's no telling what they have "guessed" about the outside world.

THIS! Perhaps this is what Brandon mean when he said the Kandra would appear, but have gone into hiding/have a different role to play, he said something along those lines in the Brandonothology. They either live in the South Pole, or are Sazed's messengers (as he can Hemalurgically access them).

Another thing to consider when the two civilizations meet is that the Lord ruler kept his people in a dark age (no scientific advancement) for 1000 years. The other civilization may not have had the words of founding but they also had a 1000 years to progress normally. How much more advanced is the civ on the other side of the world.

Another thing to consider when the two civilizations meet is that the Lord ruler kept his people in a dark age (no scientific advancement) for 1000 years. The other civilization may not have had the words of founding but they also had a 1000 years to progress normally. How much more advanced is the civ on the other side of the world.

They would also be progressing from the early 18th century technology of pre-accession times instead of the regressed pre-gunpowder society that TLR created.

Great. Now I'm terrified for what will happen.

Since the second trilogy is going to be roughly modern times, I imagine it sort of like this:

The inhabitants of the other side of Scadrial, far more advanced (though not necessarily 1000 years ahead due to various limiting factors and Rashek's likely meddling of some sort) now dominate Scadrial. Since they have almost no allomancy, they declare it unholy/illegal and start hunting down allomancers. A hidden group of allomancers (Mistborn bred by The Set?) must work to destroy the dictatorial rule of the Hyperscadrians (for lack of another name) using a combination of allomancy and feruchemy.

This comes from gut instinct, but I think there's going to be some sort of search for a mythical Mistborn/Full Feruchemist who has been living secretly compounding health for hundreds of years (making them old, but alive, since they are not likely to have Atium).

Well, I don't think that's quite possible - we know that the second trilogy will involve a Misting SWAT team, so they can't have been outlawed totally. And if there were a search for a secret immortal Mistborn, wouldn't Marsh fit the bill best?

That said, I rather like the idea of the Sea Peopl dominating Scadrial with highly-advanced technology.

THIS! Perhaps this is what Brandon mean when he said the Kandra would appear, but have gone into hiding/have a different role to play, he said something along those lines in the Brandonothology. They either live in the South Pole, or are Sazed's messengers (as he can Hemalurgically access them).

Note: Some Kandra are still in the Elendel region, as the "Faceless Immortals". One of them (I seem to recall Brandon Sanderson saying it was TenSoon's protege girl, but cannot recall the source) gave Wax his earring.

However, some working for Sazed elsewhere also makes sense.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

I think that the fact that the southern people are more technologically advanced, could be the reason that Scadrial is going to be at roughly modern time period in 50 years. There technology will advance due to southern knowledge and influence. We have no idea how much more advanced the people of the south are, although it begs the question, why did it take so long for them to go to the north? I'm standing by my belief that the people of the South are going to be the conflict for the Alloy of Law Books. If the second trilogy is modern, surely they will have planes and things like that. I know there isn't much pressure to leave Elendel Basin but there would still be some who wanted to explore. I just think that it is extremely unlikely that a whole group of people could go undiscovered until modern times. After all, eventually there won't be enough room in the Elendel Basin for people to stay there forever.

Edited by Windrunner

Well, I don't think that's quite possible - we know that the second trilogy will involve a Misting SWAT team, so they can't have been outlawed totally. And if there were a search for a secret immortal Mistborn, wouldn't Marsh fit the bill best?

That said, I rather like the idea of the Sea Peopl dominating Scadrial with highly-advanced technology.

Note: Some Kandra are still in the Elendel region, as the "Faceless Immortals". One of them (I seem to recall Brandon Sanderson saying it was TenSoon's protege girl, but cannot recall the source) gave Wax his earring.

However, some working for Sazed elsewhere also makes sense.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Not to mention, this SWAT team is supposed to hunt "Mistborn serial killer", which doesn´t sound like a good guy, unless he would be rehash of Kelsier. In fact... Given the powers in Alloy of law, does it mean we´ll get criminal with all possible Allomancy/Feruchemical combos? I wouldn´t like to be in such SWAT team.

Atium doesn't seem to be as widespread as it used to. Not that it was ever widespread but now it seems non-existent.

That's because the 300 years required for the atium crystals to regenerate after Kelsier destroyed all of them have just barely elapsed. Atium could easily become more available in MT2 times than in MT1. (Since TLR only spent about a tenth of what he mined into circulation).