Will Kelsier Show up in the second Mistborn Trilogy

ReaderAt2046

142 members have voted

1. 1. Will Kelsier Show up in the second Mistborn Trilogy

• Yes
    • No
    • There's Always another secret

So i realized that while Brandon has specified that Vin and Elend won't be coming back, he never said anything about Kelsier. Considering that Kelsier has already come back from the dead three times (once when he escaped the Pits, once when he returned as OreSeur to found the Church of the Survivor, and once when he hijacked Preservation to speak with Spook), I thought it highly probable that he might return.

What do you think?

Kelsier is one of my favorite Brandon Sanderson characters.

I would be disappointed if he returned under almost any circumstances.

That isn't to say he couldn't meddle...

I just don't want him to go through the superhero's: "Hey! He didn't actually die (even though we clearly saw him die two issues ago) because of this carefully constructed deux ex machina!"

"Watch out for that plot hole."

In AoL, Marsh seems to refer to Kelsier in a present tense (though the tense isn't actually specified). "He does my brother's work." This could mean surviving, in general, or perhaps something a little more specific.

I understood this to mean generally pursuing Kelsier's goals of fairness, defeating evil, etc, rather than literally working for Kelsier.

I'd be very disappointed if Kelsier came back in any corporeal way.

I understood this to mean generally pursuing Kelsier's goals of fairness, defeating evil, etc, rather than literally working for Kelsier.

I'd be very disappointed if Kelsier came back in any corporeal way.

If Sazed, with the power of Ruin and Preservation, couldn't resurrect Vin and Elend, how would Kelsier come back?

As much as I loved Kelsier as a character, if he came back to life I would be extremely disappointed. I want to see him behind the scenes hanging on like for the past 300 years helping Sazed. It's cool how he"s still there, which oddly enough makes the Survivorists right in some small way. I wonder how Kelsier managed to take up the power of Preservation in the beyond?

he couldn't resurrect them *then* because he was not experienced at using the power, there's nothing to say he'll never be able to resurrect people. He just hadn't figured out how at that point.

He also mentioned that they didn't want to come back. Kel does.

he couldn't resurrect them *then* because he was not experienced at using the power, there's nothing to say he'll never be able to resurrect people. He just hadn't figured out how at that point.

Yeah, also IIRC sazed specifically said that the power to do so was there, he just didn't know how to use it yet. Though i'm willing to bet if he comes back in any corporeal manner it will more of a "reincarnation" thing (that is, same soul, different body) than resurrection.

It would be like the scenes where Vin is stuck without metals, only long-term.

Yes, however he felt like he was granted mistborn powers, to help the world. He has now helped the world and therefore doesn't need them so he may feel differently.

More to the point, will he still have scars?

I remember Brandon saying something to the effect that Kelsier is still around. And since he can talk to TenSoon, who still has his bones, it explains some of the reports of the Survivor appearing to independent people.

EDIT- Plus, there is Bloody Tan's report of seeing Ironeyes and the Survivor. I think that there's a chance we'll see Kelsier's body, and Kelsier's influence- but not both. And not Kelsier obviously coming back.

Okay, Zas would know the quote better than me, but it's somewhere in the Brandonothology. Basically, Brandon said that at the end of HoA, Sazed didn't know how to put souls back in bodies, yet. I think I said this back in my introduction post, so I'll copy it here, but here's my take on the subject:

I've decided that unless he ever outright states that it never happened, I am holding to the belief that somewhere down the road, Sazed figured out the put-souls-in-bodies thing and gave Vin and Elend another, more peaceful life somewhere away from everyone else. Because that is just sickeningly heartwarming. If anyone deserves it, it's those two.

But not Kelsier. I'm fairly sure Saze would never trust Kel to keep a non-intervention policy. As soon as Kel got re-incarnated he'd jump on the first train to Elendel and widely proclaim "Hey, it's me, the Survivor! I'm back from the dead again!"

Cue Sazed facepalming and sending the kandra off to kill him again before he causes more trouble. (Random note: Can shardholders still facepalm? Maybe it's nexuspalm or something...)

Yep. There's a chance that happened. Or maybe they decided that they liked the afterlife better. We don't know (And Brandon isn't going to say) what the afterlife is like.

Barnes and Noble Q&A

MELHAY

Also, We just took for granted that Sazed is with Tindwyl now. Is that so?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Well, here's the thing. What Sazed is right now is something of a god in the classic Greek sense—a superpowered human being, elevated to a new stage of existence. Not GOD of all time and space. In a like manner, there are things that Sazed does not have power over. For instance, he couldn't bring Vin and Elend back.

Where Tindwyl exists is beyond space and time, in a place Sazed hasn't learned to touch yet. He might yet. If you want to add in your heads him working through that, feel free. But as it stands at the end of the book, he isn't yet with Tindwyl. (He is, however, with Kelsier—who refused to "Go toward the light" so to speak, and has been hanging around making trouble ever since he died. You can find hints of him in Mistborn 3 at the right moments.

HoA Q&A

DARXBANE

This is fun.

The note to Spook states that Sazed hasn't yet figured out how to put souls back into bodies. Is he going to learn that skill eventually (I'm expecting a RAFO here, but I figured I'd ask anyway)?

Does Sazed get to see Tindwyl again now that he is a deity?

Did we already find out what metal is combined with Atium to make Malatium?

<h4 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 0.9em; font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.3em; text-transform: uppercase; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); text-align: left; "></h4>

1. RAFO. (Sorry, but this is plot sensitive for a future series.)

2. Sazed has yet to learn how to touch the distant other side, where all souls go. He is able to see into the Spiritual and Cognitive Realms, and any spirits or souls who remain there, rather than passing on. Generally, you have to be tied to the Physical Realm in specific ways to not pass on. As for where Tindwyl is, I will have to leave this up to you to imagine for now.

3. I might have said somewhere in the series. I can't remember. It's gold.

The quote your thinking of is actually from HoA. It's one of the very last lines of the book.

Spook, it read. I tried to bring them back, but apparently fixing the bodies doesn't return the souls. I will get better at this with time, I expect. However , be assured that I have spoken with our friends, and they are quite happy where they are. They deserve a rest, I think.

I just don't want him to go through the superhero's: "Hey! He didn't actually die (even though we clearly saw him die two issues ago) because of this carefully constructed deux ex machina!"

How does one pronounce "deux ex machina"? It's been bothering me.

• 1 month later...