Stormlight Archive Book 3(+) Readings

Readings  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite reading so far?

• Jasnah 1
    • Kaladin 1

I'm gonna have to go with Jasnah on this one it immediatey solves one of the bigger mysteries of the last book as well as expands our knowledge of Shademar an equally mysterious place.

Plus you can never go wrong with a Jasnah POV she's such an awesome character and really shows that despite Jasnah being such a intelligent person there are still things that even she underestimates and can't plan for. Hopefully she'll do a better job at taking precautions in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon put out an extended version of Kaladin's chapter in his newsletter. I have no clue whether or not it can be posted (Brandon said he specifically put it out as a treat to people getting the newsletter and that he'll be sending out more scenes this way), but do check your email if you're getting that!

Kaladin visits Hearthstone and his first thought is to avoid meeting his parents. I was very disappointed with him. I've been waiting for that reunion since WoK.

Edited by Moogle

Brandon put out an extended version of Kaladin's chapter in his newsletter. I have no clue whether or not it can be posted (Brandon said he specifically put it out as a treat to people getting the newsletter and that he'll be sending out more scenes this way), but do check your email if you're getting that!

Kaladin visits Hearthstone and his first thought is to avoid meeting his parents. I was very disappointed with him. I've been waiting for that reunion since WoK.

No, his first thought is to avoid going to find his parents' dead bodies. There's a difference. :)

Darn it. Which newsletter? I know I'm signed up for Tor's. Can someone send me link where I can subscribe? Also, Peter, would it be cheating if I signed up and someone "retroactively" sent me the extended version? :-)

It's just in Brandon's own newsletter that you can sign up for if you contact Brandon through his website. However, someone posted the chapter in a spoiler note in the News and Guides forum.

It actually is the extended version of the Kaladin chapter posted here in this thread. However, we're not sure, as Moogle states above, if this is allowed. Peter, please weigh in on that, because I'm sure we can get the person who posted it to erase if needed. 

UPDATE: The posting of the entire chapter, while originally meant as an exclusive for newsletter subscribers, has been approved by Team Sanderson to be on the site fully copied in. Thanks RUBIX for getting the approval (I assume that it was Rubix). And especially thanks to Team Sanderson for allowing it to stay up!

Edited by Titan Arum

It's just in Brandon's own newsletter that you can sign up for if you contact Brandon through his website. However, someone posted the chapter in a spoiler note in the News and Guides forum.

You use this form right now, and be sure to check  the Notify box towards the bottom! :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I have signed up.  Been a fan for many years, I can't believe I didn't know about it.  I mean...it's like right there...derp  :wacko:

No, his first thought is to avoid going to find his parents' dead bodies. There's a difference. :)

Wha... wha.. what... what... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?!  You are either the single most prolific troll who has ever crawled the internet or a demon born in the tenth circle of Hell, a place reserved for those who so casually reveal these kinds of devastating events!

PETEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SANDERSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wha... wha.. what... what... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?!  You are either the single most prolific troll who has ever crawled the internet or a demon born in the tenth circle of Hell, a place reserved for those who so casually reveal these kinds of devastating events!

PETEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SANDERSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, he didn't say that they died. Maybe Kaladin decided not to look in the graveyard for their potential tombstones, or whatever passes for a graveyard in Alethkar. 

Actually, that's interesting. We haven't seen much in the way of Vorin/Alethi burial customs. They've got no dirt, so what do they do? Cremation? Air burial? How much stuff do they have for commemorating the dead?

Maybe after the everstorm strikes Kaladin's father is wounded and is saved by Roshone. that could be a good cause for Kaladin to forgive him.

Also what will happen between Kaladin and the old city lord's daughter, He did after all get a shardblade and Become a lighteyes?

Also how will Kaladin feel about his father stealing the spheres now that he has bonded an honor spren?

Maybe after the everstorm strikes Kaladin's father is wounded and is saved by Roshone. that could be a good cause for Kaladin to forgive him.

Also what will happen between Kaladin and the old city lord's daughter, He did after all get a shardblade and Become a lighteyes?

Also how will Kaladin feel about his father stealing the spheres now that he has bonded an honor spren?

Very interesting points that you brought up.

1  -  I really doubt that Roshone will do anything to help Kal's Father, but the possibility (slight) does exist.

2  -  She was going to marry Roshone 4 or so years ago.    I don't think that he would let her put it off for that long.

3  -  This one would be the most likely to cause problems.    Could lead Kal to blaming his Dad for his brothers death (not likely) or other problems.     Need to think on this.

1) I don't see how that could happen. The man was rapidly descending into darkness, to put it melodramatically, the last we saw him. He isn't likely to get back up from there. There are some similarities between Roshone and Shallan's father, too, whom we know was under the influence of Odium. That makes me think Odium was messing around with Roshone too. And I don't think any kind of reconciliation after Tien's death is possible between Roshone and Kaladin. Kaladin will probably let it go and be the better man, to avoid what happened with Elhokar if nothing else.

2) I'm very curious about this too. I very much like Kalaral (Laradin?). I know Kaladin returning home as a hero to rescue his childhood love from an arranged marriage with the evil old man is somewhat cliché. But, we'll see what we'll see.

3) I don't think Syl would even consider that stealing, man. Wistiow did promise Lirin those spheres after all. And what Syl is very serious about is keeping promises. The act of falsifying documents in and of itself should not be a big deal to Syl as I understand her character.

So...I think there may be a continuity error with the new chapter posting.  Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but would be interested in hearing others' thoughts.

From the sample chapter

He stood and left the debris behind, continuing on his way. He had changed uniforms before leaving—taking the Oathgate to the Shattered Plains, then streaking into the sky and rushing in desperation toward Alethkar. His old uniform had been bloodied and tattered, though this one wasn’t much better. A spare, generic Kholin uniform, not even of the old Cobalt Guard. It felt wrong to not bear the symbol of Bridge Four. But, then, a lot of things felt wrong to him these days.

This passage talks about how Kaladin had just replaced his old and bloodied uniform with a fresh one before starting out for home.  In another forum thread, I had posted how there was a whole week in between the Alethi's arrival at Urithiru, and the revelation of the imminent everstorm and Kaladin's decision to depart immediately:

Chapter 89 "The Four" takes place a week after 88. p1066 Words of Radiance hardback "A week had passed since they had arrived at this place, and the people of the warcamps had finally started to arrive..."

So...Kaladin wore his bloody and torn uniform for the whole week without grabbing a change of clothes while living at Urithiru?  I suppose it is possible, but I doubt that that is the intention meant to be conveyed.  So if I assume that during that week, Kaladin had decided to change his clothes (even if only at the prompting from others), why bother mentioning it in this sample chapter?  Of course his clothes would be different, or so we as the readers should have naturally assumed based on the exposition from the previous book.  Is it possible that while writing this tidbit of the next book it may have slipped Brandon's mind that our characters spent a whole week in Urithiru?  

So...I think there may be a continuity error with the new chapter posting.  Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but would be interested in hearing others' thoughts.

From the sample chapter

He stood and left the debris behind, continuing on his way. He had changed uniforms before leaving—taking the Oathgate to the Shattered Plains, then streaking into the sky and rushing in desperation toward Alethkar. His old uniform had been bloodied and tattered, though this one wasn’t much better. A spare, generic Kholin uniform, not even of the old Cobalt Guard. It felt wrong to not bear the symbol of Bridge Four. But, then, a lot of things felt wrong to him these days.

This passage talks about how Kaladin had just replaced his old and bloodied uniform with a fresh one before starting out for home.  In another forum thread, I had posted how there was a whole week in between the Alethi's arrival at Urithiru, and the revelation of the imminent everstorm and Kaladin's decision to depart immediately:

Chapter 89 "The Four" takes place a week after 88. p1066 Words of Radiance hardback "A week had passed since they had arrived at this place, and the people of the warcamps had finally started to arrive..."

So...Kaladin wore his bloody and torn uniform for the whole week without grabbing a change of clothes while living at Urithiru?  I suppose it is possible, but I doubt that that is the intention meant to be conveyed.  So if I assume that during that week, Kaladin had decided to change his clothes (even if only at the prompting from others), why bother mentioning it in this sample chapter?  Of course his clothes would be different, or so we as the readers should have naturally assumed based on the exposition from the previous book.  Is it possible that while writing this tidbit of the next book it may have slipped Brandon's mind that our characters spent a whole week in Urithiru?  

Great catch!!!!      Add to that  - Rlain was able to find a new Bridge 4 uniform to fit his new bigger body in just a few hours or less.     I'm sure that all the Bridge 4 guys with Delinar would have had extras and surely a few would have been close to Kal's size  -  especially if Rlain was able to find one.