Ravens Shadow - Anthony Ryan

kaladamSB

It is weird. But, the first one ended the same way too. Vaelin discovered this big great secret of the universe, then the next book he told the Aspects about it and just retired. I don't think there is any big mystery about it in Tower Lord either. I think Ryan did both to create suspense about the next book, which is a tactic I can't say I'm overly fond of.

• 3 months later...

I finally finished Tower Lord. It took me two whole months to go through it as I never felt like reading it, which is not a good sign. I loved Blood Song. I thought it was a good read and the story of five brothers was enthralling. I did not find that in Tower Lord. Instead, the remaining brothers were left to be tertiary side characters. I wanted more of Nortah and more Caenis.

Frentis was painful to read for the first half. He hardly spoke a word and his journey as a sex slave to the crazy woman was not interesting to read. I felt I did not care so much for him. After he killed her, it was better, though the ending for him was anti-climatic. I most likely did not get it as I read so slowly, I missed many things.

Reva was an OK character. I liked to read her POV though I felt the arrival of Vaelin was anti-climatic. We did not get to have her POV when he finally gets there. We do not get to have anyone's reaction until it was gone. When Kaladin comes to rescue Dalinar, we have Kaladin's POV and Dalinar's. The scene is that much more powerful. Vaelin's killing at the end was not that great. It was supposed to be a great scene, but it fell flat, to me.

Lyrna, I rather liked. Her journey was an interesting read. I hope whatever she did at the end did not kill her.

Vaelin was fine, but not as interesting in this book as the previous one. I missed the brotherhood too much to care about his POV.

Overall, I was deceived. I'll read the follow-up, but it took me way too long to get through this one. I hope to find something better to read now.

Lyrna, I rather liked. Her journey was an interesting read. I hope whatever she did at the end did not kill her.

Lyrna was my favorite POV in that book.  It's been several months since I read Tower Lord, but I don't think I was quite as disappointed as some others about it.  Blood Song was just SO good, it was going to be hard to follow up, especially with a Book 2.  Book 2's in trilogies tend to be the weakest, at least as a general rule.  (There are definitely exceptions.)  I'm looking forward to Queen of Fire very much, though.  I'm hoping it takes all the set up of Tower Lord and channels the awesomeness of Blood Song. :)

Lyrna was my favorite POV in that book.  It's been several months since I read Tower Lord, but I don't think I was quite as disappointed as some others about it.  Blood Song was just SO good, it was going to be hard to follow up, especially with a Book 2.  Book 2's in trilogies tend to be the weakest, at least as a general rule.  (There are definitely exceptions.)  I'm looking forward to Queen of Fire very much, though.  I'm hoping it takes all the set up of Tower Lord and channels the awesomeness of Blood Song. :)

I had read some of the negative comments before I read the book, so I cannot say I was disappointed. I expected not to like the book as much as the first one and it was indeed the case. What made the strength of the first book was the brotherhood theme and it was completely evacuated from the second book.

Lyrna was a good addition. Her plot line was indeed the most interesting as well as her progression as a character. The story in itself was not a bad one, but I felt Ryan missed many cues to make his telling more enthralling. There was a lot of potential in the story he wished to tell, but he failed at bringing the appropriate cliffhangers at the right places.

• 1 month later...

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Lyrna's character was extremely inconsistent.

In Blood Song, she was described as cold/calculating/ruthless. In Tower Lord, we see almost none of that.

Some of it is point of view. Vaelin doesn't think too highly of her, so he emphasizes that aspect of her in the few time that he sees her. Apparently, sacrificing Vaelin for her brother also hit her hard. That being said, she is still pretty calculating and ruthless when she needs to be.

• 6 months later...

Although the first book wasn't all that unique, I agree the second book was underwhelming in-comparison.

In the first book our main hero vaelin. A convenient "orphan", thrown into a life of hardship and cruelty that put his body spirit and soul to the test. Through out the years he finds a brotherhood, earns skills in arms, leaderships etc, He struggles to find his moral compass, shows skills and ingenuity, becomes a symbol, and uncover an innate ability and plot that put him at the heart of centuries old struggle bla bla bla...

While in the second book. Vaelin, the "chosen one", leaves all choices and deeds to a little voice inside his head, until he finally saves the day by committing a suicidal charge. We also have Reva, a pale version of Vaelin from the first book that we don't really care about, a Joan of Arc wanna be. In a month the angry girl becomes a super duper swordsmen and mighty archer that humbles any elite warrior,best tactician etc because magic *yawn* 

Also in book 1, we were introduced to intrigue and mystery, we follow the hero through mundane straggles as he uncover grand schemes and prophecies that steer the course of events on local and global scale. Later we learn of greater empire who is more advanced\rich\expansive, who has great power on its side, that make use of people with abilities, who has legions of people who has been bread\trained for specific tasks. Who for years gather intelligence and planned a continent wide invasion, with the unified realm being just the staging area. Who bribed eliminated and destroyed any most people in a position of power and skill to offer resistance.. But in book 2 there is no intrigue, only our heroes filled with righteous conviction fighting a black and white struggle and dumb luck/fate that brings them all to victory.....

Edited by tor