Should we be suspicious of Renarin?

Wgblood

Does anyone else think Renarin is a suspicious character who is up to no good?  It seems like he is a character who is overlooked for the most part.  And aren't those the ones that tend to go on to major roles in Brandon's books?

I think he is the one behind the shattered gems in the kings shardplate.  

-There are several references to him being curious about fabrials making me think he understands about the workings of the gems.

-He suppossedly rushes into the chasmfiend battle out of bravery but was it really to draw support away from the king and his weakened armor?

Hoid/Wit makes it a point to pest him because he is less fragile than people think.

Why can't his bloodsickness be soulcasted away?  Jasnah is able to soulcast shallan's blood - why won't that work here?  I think there is something more to this bloodsickness.

How does Taravangian know so much about the recent events that make Dalinar's death inevitable?  I think Renarin is working with him.

What do others think?

I don't think he is up to no good.

I think he is going to become someone. Someone important.

I've improved, if only a very little, in guessing what's going to happen in Brandon's books. Renarin... yes, he is overlooked. And we definitely have a very good set of reasons for NOT overlooking anyone Brandon wants us to overlook.

But I don't think he is the "bad-type". If there have EVER been "bad-types" in the Cosmere (and that makes me think... if nobody in Brandon's worlds is black or white... what about Rayse?).

In fact, it could be that Wit pests him to make him use that "less-fragility" he has beern withholding". Weak people often use their weakness as a kind of defense. Make yourself nothing of a threat, and nobody will care about you. But that can also make you not develop your talents.

In fact, if nobody sees him as a threat, and certainly not as a warior, but he keeps being a man, he could make a formidable spy. For example, if he could read as a woman. I wouldn't be surprised about that.

In fact... if he knows that much about fabrials... maybe even he would make sure, himself, that his sickness would not be healed.

I lack proof of this, and I could be saying nonsense. But when I start babbling... well, a lot of possibilities come to mind.

Edited by Alliare

I agree that Renarin will become much more important in the later books, his connection to Dalinar and the Nightwatcher and him inheriting Dalinar's Plate, the only one not gilded with paint, etc. says a lot. But for roughly 2 reasons i don't think that Renarin will be revealed as a major antagonist.

1) Hoid's teasing of Renarin seems more supportive than malicious. Everyone treats Renarin as a weak person who can't do anything properly, even Dalinar and Adolin in some parts. Hoid's actions seemed more like he was trying to goad Renarin to keep him from self-pity, and I think Hoid rather likes Renarin. Also, Hoid mentions to Dalinar that Renarin is much stronger and capable than Dalinar thinks, and encourages him to think better of Renarin.

2) At this point we already have a seemingly harmless person turned major antagonist in the series: Taravangian. It also seems that he will be around for a while considering all these different secrets he has and all his accomplishments where no one suspects him yet. It would be utterly redundant to have 2 characters so similar in their development.

Why can't his bloodsickness be soulcasted away?  Jasnah is able to soulcast shallan's blood - why won't that work here?  I think there is something more to this bloodsickness.

If the "bloodsickness" is anything like real diseases of the blood, it deals with a problem in the marrow, or the part of the body that produces blood. Soulcasting might be able to temporarily strengthen him (unlikely, though) but soon his own blood would flush the soulcast blood out of his body over the course of about a month.

Additionally, Renarin has been living his whole life with some kind of blood ailment, so at this point he probably has weak muscles, and perhaps a number of other diseases. In the Way of Kings, Dalinar mentions that Renarin has "fits", which probably means he has epilepsy as well.

All in all, if his blood being "off" was the only problem, he wouldn't need Shardplate to function.

In the Way of Kings, Dalinar mentions that Renarin has "fits", which probably means he has epilepsy as well.

We see one of Renarin's fits. During the scene round Dalinar's vision of Feverstone Keep and the Recreance.

The description interestingly looked a bit like he was feruchemically storing strength, rather than suffering epilepsy.

If the "bloodsickness" is anything like real diseases of the blood, it deals with a problem in the marrow, or the part of the body that produces blood. Soulcasting might be able to temporarily strengthen him (unlikely, though) but soon his own blood would flush the soulcast blood out of his body over the course of about a month.

Additionally, Renarin has been living his whole life with some kind of blood ailment, so at this point he probably has weak muscles, and perhaps a number of other diseases. In the Way of Kings, Dalinar mentions that Renarin has "fits", which probably means he has epilepsy as well.

All in all, if his blood being "off" was the only problem, he wouldn't need Shardplate to function.

I'm not sure it's a real disease of the blood. I thought "blood weakness" indicated that it was an inherent part of him, not a disease.

• 2 weeks later...

Bloodsickness is probably just a term they use to describe his condition, which I assumed was epilepsy which can manifest in several different ways and certainly not just in the tonic-clonic jerks that everybody knows of. Absence seizures are also common and would be more similar to what we saw and would be dangerous on a battlefield. Anyway, if what Renarin has is a fit-based condition in any way and not a latent ability then it is almost certainly neurological in nature and thus not related to his literal blood. Transfiguring the blood would be pointless.

If you think about it, Renarin is almost a perfect fit for one of the classic fantasy tropes for a later hero/saviour but also villain character. Let's look at the list:

• powerless, but surrounded by powerful people
  • has some mysterious issue that is not understood but holds him back
  • intelligent in a society that does not value intelligence much
  • younger prince, overshadowed by the deeds of his elder brother
  • gets (at the end) artifact that lets him overcome his weakness

All this points very, very strongly to Renarin being something. Question is, does it lead to glory or villainy? :)

Personally, I think glory is more likely, since Renarin just seems so nice. Brandon does like his foreshadowing, and I got no bad vibe from Renarin whatsoever.

I can see him replacing Elokhar, honestly. I do not think Elokhar will be making it out these books alive, and I have strong suspicions Dalinar won't either. I don't see the Alethi bowing down to a woman, so Jasnah can't inherit, and Adolin would probably take over as Kholin Highprince, since he seems suited to more small-scale governance. This leaves Renarim as the likely heir to the throne.

Even if Renarin's sickness is related to his blood, it's a chronic condition, soulcasting his blood would be a temporary solution/stopgap measure.

Also I totally don't get "potentially evil" vibes from Renarin, potentially awesome yes, evil not so much.

He's too darn nice. And a bit goofy. Not good with the ladies. Doesn't know what he wants to do.

Actually, throughout this post I am seeing why you might think he's a villain!

Geez...

He's too darn nice. And a bit goofy. Not good with the ladies. Doesn't know what he wants to do.

Actually, throughout this post I am seeing why you might think he's a villain!

Geez...

He's Elend.

Chances are he will recieve a nice gift of power from Honour. Probably soulcasting, so he can constantly soulcast his sickness away?

Maybe his links to Wit allows him to become furchemist like the evidence from his fits suggest.

Elend wasn't goofy :o

Take it back now!

(Jokes... he was.)

Well Elend didn't fit the sterotype of a nobleman and Renarin doesn't fit the sterotype of Alethi. They both weren't ladies men. Both their fathers treat them differently to their other children, and often treat the warrior child better in some respects.

Both recieve power near the end, Larasium and Shard plate. And Both are seen as weak because of their blood, Renarin through sickness and Elend as a soft nobleman And both are high elites in their social circles.

Chances are Renairin will probably become friends with the Kaladin the same way Elend and Vin became friends (more then friends) ....

Oh and both are a bit goofy at times.

Edited by the95th

That would make him... a sacrifice!

I don't dare believe Brandon would sink so low as to kill him off simply to characterize Andolin. There must be a justifiable reason and, if the plot demands it, I could accept his death. Not my favorite character ever. Probably because of the lack of POV and associated insight into character, etc. But never mind.

Or maybe he'll kill Adolin off to give Renarin a defining character motivation... that seems like it would be more interesting/different from what happened to Kaladin.

Actually I don't see Brandon just killing one of them off at this point either.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if it was said already and I only just finished reading WoK like 2 hours ago but I think Renarin is going to be a background character that comes to the foreground at a pivital moment. Kind of like Spook in Mistborn.