Who Has Taln's Blade?

Moogle

There is WoB that Jezrien's is smaller. I read it earlier today. I will edit with the link and quote when I find it again.

Edit: source

Question

Is Szeth's sword noticeably smaller than other shardblades?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

I would also like to note that this WoB is the reason I personally believe the honorblades change appearance like Shardblades do, for the reasons Moogle pointed out. It is obviously not specifically stated, but as Moogle said, it is simply illogical to have a short blade and handicap one's self.

Edit 2: I misread your post. I guess the "small" aspect could be in reference to width, but I've always been under the impression it meant length, as huge swords were Brandon's inspiration for Shardblades.

Edit 3: For completion's sake, there is this WoB about the blade's size as well.

astalduath

After reading The Way of Kings, I couldn't help but to wonder this: hypothetically if there were two equally skilled combatants in every way, one armed with a Shardblade and the other with a Lightsaber, and take magic and the Force out of the equation (except for the weapons themselves), who would win? And yes, the Shardblade would have already been summoned and the two are just squaring off in a dual. Have fun with it.
Brandon Sanderson

A lightsaber is actually a little more easy to wield than a Shardblade, I would guess. Shardblades were designed to fight something larger than another person; you don't actually need all of that size when fighting someone. So that gives a slight edge to you average Jedi. If it's someone like Szeth, who has a more modestly sized Blade, then I don't honestly know.

Emphasis mine.

Personally, I don't see how having a wider blade would make fighting something larger than you easier. Only extra length would do that.

also the emphasis you put on that quote is misleading. One, it is in comparison to shardblades, not other honorblades. So Szeth's honorblade is smaller than what we typically expect from a shardblade. We do not know the full capabilities of a herald, nor an honorblade held by a herald, so to assume the blades have to look the same assumes that the only things an honorblade can do is what a sprenblade can do. When in fact sprenblades emulate honorblades. I don't think it is a stretch to say that sprenblades could have started out the same size as honorblades but given they do not have as many abilities, they got bigger to deal with larger foes as the battles progressed. We both are assuming A LOT based on that WoB

edit: reason for necro. this thread was referenced in another thread and upon reading through it all, felt that was pertinent to add

Edited by Pathfinder

I'm guessing that the Honorblades, while they may be able to change form, don't do it quickly, given that

WoR

Szeth reacts so strongly to Syl changing into a spear instantaneously during the fight above the Oathgate. 

Oh. That’s right. You probably want me to be a spear, don’t you?

The weapon fuzzed to mist, then elongated and grew into the shape of a silvery spear, with glowing, swirling glyphs along the sharpened sides of the spearhead.
Szeth twisted in the air, Lashing himself back into a hovering position. He looked at the spear, then seemed to tremble. “No. Truthless. I am Truthless. No questions.

Before this, he was insisting that Kaladin must have another one of the Honorblades, but... that obviously wasn't true. 

Mmh, since there is only one honorblade per set of abilities, how can there be an honorblade that gives the exact same abilities he has?

Or is he not aware, that the honorblades are all giving different abilities?

Mmh, since there is only one honorblade per set of abilities, how can there be an honorblade that gives the exact same abilities he has?

Or is he not aware, that the honorblades are all giving different abilities?

Well, for one he has not seen Kaladin use the Surge of Adhesion, so tecnically he could have been using the Skybreakerblade. However, it is much more likely that Szeth was simply in denial and not thinking rationally about the situation.

Also when he confronted Taravangian (probably butchered the spelling), at that time kal did not exhibit any gravitation powers. All Szeth saw him do was survive a fall that should have killed him and heal a shardblade cut. Taravangian suggested that the regrowth surge from another honorblade is what let him heal the shardblade cut. Much later is when they fight by flying/falling and that is when Szeth is plain ole loco and just doesn't want to believe lol

Edited by Pathfinder

The blade that Dalinar bonded that was dropped by the man known as Taln couldn't have been a Honor blade... Because after Dalinar's 1st and 2nd oaths were accepted, the blade he'd bonded (which was the weapon that had supposedly been dropped by "the man who claims to be Taln") started screaming to him... 

When Kaladin grabbed the Honor blade dropped by Szeth, it didn't scream in his head... 

Extrapolating Syl's comments about Honor blades not being dead spren... So Honor blades shouldn't scream when being held by a Radiant...  

Therefore the blade Dalinar bonded that he'd gotten from "Taln" couldn't be a honor blade because of the screams - it must be a "standard" shard blade because it started screaming when when being held/awakened by a radiant and therefore wasn't an honor blade... 

*shrug*

On a side topic - I wonder if a "dead spren" might be brought back if bonded to a "non-radiant" who were to re-swear the oaths of the order they should be members of...

Therefore the blade Dalinar bonded that he'd gotten from "Taln" couldn't be a honor blade because of the screams - it must be a "standard" shard blade because it started screaming when when being held/awakened by a radiant and therefore wasn't an honor blade... 

As far as I remember, Dalinar bonded one of the blades that Adolin had won in the duel.

Dalinar bonded the blade that Taln had when he arrived at the shattered plains. It is clear from the descriptions and WOB that this is NOT the blade Taln dropped at Kholinar

As a side point, I think Nin took the honourblade. He's sending Szeth to get the other honourblades. He has the means. He's a herald who wants to curtail surgebinding and probably sees the blades as his. He has acquired another "special" shard in Nightblood.

Dalinar bonded the blade that Taln had when he arrived at the shattered plains. It is clear from the descriptions and WOB that this is NOT the blade Taln dropped at Kholinar

As a side point, I think Nin took the honourblade. He's sending Szeth to get the other honourblades. He has the means. He's a herald who wants to curtail surgebinding and probably sees the blades as his. He has acquired another "special" shard in Nightblood.

Huh... Never knew that. Does Nin have his own Honorblade though? Thout we never actually saw him with one, just Nightblood.

Well, we have Lift's word for it that he's capable of becoming Awesome. Which as I recall is said to not be part of the default Herald powers. Plus, one Herald did apparently return for his blade according to WoB, hence why Szeth and Taravangian referred to "one of the other seven" when T tried to cover up the return of Radiants. There are 3 missing from Shinovar between Taln (the real one, whoever he is), the other Herald, and Szeth.

Huh... Never knew that. Does Nin have his own Honorblade though? Thout we never actually saw him with one, just Nightblood.

He has his powers, implied by Lift he says he "is awesome too" and his speed implies he may be using stormlight. As he is a herald, not a radiant, the implication is that he has his own honour blade as that is where heralds are thought to get their surgebinding from, but this may be a false supposition or he may also be a radiant (unlikely given his current actions?)

He has his powers, implied by Lift he says he "is awesome too" and his speed implies he may be using stormlight. As he is a herald, not a radiant, the implication is that he has his own honour blade as that is where heralds are thought to get their surgebinding from, but this may be a false supposition or he may also be a radiant (unlikely given his current actions?)

Also, in the tweaked version of Words of Radiance it's 'implied' (or, more correctly, we can assume) that Nalan has one of the Honorblades that allows Regrowth (like the Surge of the Edgedancers):

“Not if it is done before the brain dies. Like a drowned man restored to life with the proper ministrations, you could be restored with the right Surgebinding. If I had waited seconds longer, of course, it would have been too late. But surely you know this. Two of the Blades held by your people allow Regrowth. I suspect you have already seen the newly dead restored to life.

(source)

In this view, it doesn't seem far-fetched assuming that Nale has retrieved also his own Honorblade.

The source of regrowth did appear to be a form of fabrial however. And the Shin have seven, so Naln can at most have one blade.

The fact that Szeth is assumed to have witnessed an honorblade in use interests me for a completely different reason, though.

The source of regrowth did appear to be a form of fabrial however. And the Shin have seven, so Naln can at most have one blade.

The fact that Szeth is assumed to have witnessed an honorblade in use interests me for a completely different reason, though.

Yeah it does say he can be seen tucking something away in his clothing, and I highly doubt an Honorblade wouldnt be recognized by Szeth. Or that it could just fit into a back pocket, obviously. Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Well also the big reason for the assumption that it is a fabrial, is that that is what it was called in the original writing. Then Sanderson edited it to call it surgebinding. Perhaps it was because for awhile I was confused and thought all fabrials were able to do some form of surgebinding. it wasn't till I think it was either moogle or weirywriter that pointed out to me that modern fabrials do not do surgebinding. That only the ancient fabrials did, and Roshar's modern day has yet to replicate it. So maybe the edit was to clarify that not only is this a fabrial, but it is an ancient fabrial of regrowth. But take what I say with grain of salt. I am no where near as knowledgeable regarding fabrials as a lot of people here. 

Maybe. In Lift's Interlude, she observes him "being awesome" and also with a Shardblade (which we also see in the Ym Interlude). It could be an Honorblade and not a Shardblade.

Maybe. In Lift's Interlude, she observes him "being awesome" and also with a Shardblade (which we also see in the Ym Interlude). It could be an Honorblade and not a Shardblade.

It very well could be. I just think he mentioned the blades in regards to regrowth because they would most likely have been the only form Szeth would have seen Regrowth being used. I mean, it's made clear he doesn't believe surgebinding has returned, so I don't think he would have ever seen it in that manner.

Also Nin gets from place to place very quickly in the text. IMO the only way he'd manage that, assuming BS is better with journey time calculations and consistency than GRRM, would be with surgebinding, most likely, IMO, his own blade's with flight

well if he had an ancient fabrial that accomplishes regrowth, I do not think it is far fetched that he could have a fabrial that accomplishes transportation. 

well if he had an ancient fabrial that accomplishes regrowth, I do not think it is far fetched that he could have a fabrial that accomplishes transportation.

But Occam's Razor would imply, clearly to me at least, that all in all it's far more likely that he's the one that has reclaimed his sword, just fitting with several mysterious aspects of the story, his own apparent character and actions and Lift's belief that he was "awesome" too.