Theory: Who Can Return

Windrunner

12 hours ago, Radiant Returned said:

Annotations make re-reading a story incredibly more fun IMO.

I also think it's possible that due to her willingness to interfere with world events, Endowment herself chooses when to return a baby when she thinks its best to have a new God King. 

ok, i'll do that when I reread it, might be a while though since I haven't finished all his other books yet

maybe, that sounds reasonable. if that's it it probably would have saved the country a lot of trouble but the priests would end up stopping what endowment tried to do inadvertently because they kept obeying Warbreaker's command not to let anyone use the breaths and cutting out there tongues

16 hours ago, Radiant Returned said:

Annotations make re-reading a story incredibly more fun IMO.

I also think it's possible that due to her willingness to interfere with world events, Endowment herself chooses when to return a baby when she thinks its best to have a new God King. 

I think babies Return outside Hallandren too though. Presumably, those babies mostly die after a week, or a few weeks if the parents give their Breaths away. Maybe some rich parents actually manage to travel to T'Telir and make their babies Gods, if they know enough about the Iridescent Tones.

Also, I don't think all babies are attempted to be made into God Kings. If the current God King has only been around for a decade or so, I bet they just make the baby a normal God.

5 hours ago, Eki said:

I think babies Return outside Hallandren too though. Presumably, those babies mostly die after a week, or a few weeks if the parents give their Breaths away. Maybe some rich parents actually manage to travel to T'Telir and make their babies Gods, if they know enough about the Iridescent Tones.

Also, I don't think all babies are attempted to be made into God Kings. If the current God King has only been around for a decade or so, I bet they just make the baby a normal God.

I think you're underestimating how rare a baby returning is. From what I remember the book isn't vague at all on this subject, it says that the priests see the Returning of a stillborn child as The sign that a new God King should be created. So while outside of Hallandren there may be stillborns who Return, if one is Returned inside of Hallandren all the mother has to do is find their local priest and the baby will be transported with their mother to T'Telir (This is what happened to Susebron). 

4 hours ago, Radiant Returned said:

I think you're underestimating how rare a baby returning is. From what I remember the book isn't vague at all on this subject, it says that the priests see the Returning of a stillborn child as The sign that a new God King should be created. So while outside of Hallandren there may be stillborns who Return, if one is Returned inside of Hallandren all the mother has to do is find their local priest and the baby will be transported with their mother to T'Telir (This is what happened to Susebron). 

Half of the Returned babies should statistically be female (unless it really is Endowment setting up new God Kings on purpose, but I don't think so), in which case they can't become God Kings. They would become 'normal' Gods. Also, if Siri had given birth to a male Returned, that child would have become the God King, and the other baby would have been installed as a normal God in the Court, I assume.

I don't think they have to Return as stillborns either (though the child of a Returned would), as long as they are young enough to be considered babies when they die. They have quite a lot of wiggle room because the God King can be hidden, and Returned children grow up weirdly.

The book explicitly states when a still born is Returned a new God King is chosen, what they do with one if the God King bears a child is unknown, but they could either send them to the same place they send retired God Kings or just stop feeding them breath. There's not any evidence in the book I don't think that indicates one way or the other, but the fact that the God King being mentioned as the exception, the still born Returned, multiple times indicates that no, there aren't any other Returned gods who were still born. 

As far as there not being a female God King, that's not too unexplainable. It could either be determined by Endowment, but even if it isn't there have only been 4 God Kings I think. Over 300 years. So by completely normal stats yes 2/4 would be female, but it's not a statistical stretch for 4/4 of them to be male. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Navi said:

Divine breaths are splinters akin to spren & seons right? So maybe specific cognitive activities attract them to people. & a bond is formed. Somewhere between death & the beyond.

It's more a direct choice of Endowment, who Intercept the deadmen before they reachs the Beyond and offer the chance to return. Probably a Divine Breath is made specifically for a Returned and then when the Returned dies The Divine Breath return to Endowment.

Of course there must to be some requirement to be choosen by Endowment, but I don't think you have to pass for the same issues of a Radiant Spren's Bond

• Chaos locked this topic