Wax can burn Pewter

ReaderAt2046

(...) that each bindpoint is limited to only once hemalurgic configuration (which I doubt), and that either both earlobes are hemalurgically identical (could be but not necessarily) or that Vin and Wax had the same ear pierced (which I do not know).

The ears might each present binding points for different powers, but I find it inconsistent that Allomantic Pewter in particular, which apparently is in the shoulders, should also have one in one of the ears.

But then again, Spooks Pewter spike seemed rather lucky to hit the exactly right binding point when he was just randomly stabbed, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume that there might be others. It is just slightly annoying that he wouldn't elaborate when it is seemingly quite contradictory with what we do know.

Edited by Aether

Spooks Pewter spike seemed rather lucky to hit the exactly right binding point when he was just randomly stabbed,

Keep in mind that Ruin was guiding that particular spiking, so it isn't exactly "random".

I'm with Shardlet though, I don't think each bindpoint is limited to a single power.  In fact it goes against what we have to say that they are, according to the chart on the wiki the heart is a bindpoint for two different powers (at least).

Keep in mind that Ruin was guiding that particular spiking, so it isn't exactly "random".

I'm with Shardlet though, I don't think each bindpoint is limited to a single power.  In fact it goes against what we have to say that they are, according to the chart on the wiki the heart is a bindpoint for two different powers (at least).

Even with Ruin's guidance, it seems a tad lucky.

And I do not dispute that a specific location can be the binding point for several powers, but it seems a tad redundant for Allomantic pewter to have points in both the shoulders and in the earlobes.

But I shan't force the issue until we know more. In the end it just gives me one more reason to get exited for Shadows of Self. Now, if we only could make him forget about the Reckoners series and focus on Cosmere books...

...but I find it inconsistent that Allomantic Pewter in particular, which apparently is in the shoulders, should also have one in one of the ears.

Allomantic bronze is shown on the chart to be in the upper arm and on the earlobe.  If Allomantic bronze can have more than one bindpoint locale, why can't Allomantic pewter?

Edit: Fear not Aether.  Next year we should have Firefight and Shadows, if I am not mistaken.

Edited by Shardlet

Allomantic bronze is shown on the chart to be in the upper arm and on the earlobe.  If Allomantic bronze can have more than one bindpoint locale, why can't Allomantic pewter?

Edit: Fear not Aether. Next year we should have Firefight and Shadows, if I am not mistaken.

Ah, my bad then. I hadn't noticed. I hereby rescind my previous complaints!

I don't care much for Firefight (I am most likely going to read it though), but I do know Brandon needs variation between projects. At least he'll get right back to Shadows of Self and then Stones Unhallowed after that. My fear is largely quelled. B)

Edited by Aether

Edit: Fear not Aether.  Next year we should have Firefight and Shadows, if I am not mistaken.

I think the plan is for Shadows of Self to be spring 2015.

And I do not dispute that a specific location can be the binding point for several powers, but it seems a tad redundant for Allomantic pewter to have points in both the shoulders and in the earlobes.

I can think of at least one example off the top of my head where a metal was spiked to different bindpoints and granted the same power. Zane had a steel spike with Allomantic steel in his chest, while Inquisitors have a steel spike through one eye giving them Allomantic steel. My understanding/hunch is that a spike of any metal (and with any stolen attribute), can be placed at any of the bindpoints, but with potentially different side-effects. For example, the Inquisitors spikes also gave them the ability to "see" with allomantic lines.

So..I think its perfectly possible to get Allomantic pewter through an ear-spike, although its likely (though not necessarily discernible) that there is some other effect of spiking through the ear versus the shoulder.

Note that I don't necessarily believe that Wax's ear-ring is granting him Allomantic pewter, but I think its possible.

PS: Why is Hemalurgy so complicated??? <_<

Edited by Serendipity

I can think of at least one example off the top of my head where a metal was spiked to different bindpoints and granted the same power. Zane had a steel spike with Allomantic steel in his chest, while Inquisitors have a steel spike through one eye giving them Allomantic steel. My understanding/hunch is that a spike of any metal (and with any stolen attribute), can be placed at any of the bindpoints, but with potentially different side-effects. For example, the Inquisitors spikes also gave them the ability to "see" with allomantic lines.

So..I think its perfectly possible to get Allomantic pewter through an ear-spike, although its likely (though not necessarily discernible) that there is some other effect of spiking through the ear versus the shoulder.

Note that I don't necessarily believe that Wax's ear-ring is granting him Allomantic pewter, but I think its possible.

PS: Why is Hemalurgy so complicated??? <_<

I was wrong, and I've admitted as much

• 1 year later...

Nice theory. It might also go to explain why Wax could lift his guns above his head while tapping weight during the wedding fight. I certainly like the idea of Harmony fueling pewter Allomancy through the mists more than the mists just magically (yes, I recognize the irony) invigorating him.

I completely agree that Harmony was fueling his allomancy.

note that Wax wasn't wearing the earring during that particular scene (he only wears it during prayer and when planning to do something significant).

Why would he need to be wearing his earring? He can take in the mists better without it. If you remember Vin could only draw them when she DIDN"T have her earring in.

true, Vin could draw the mists better without the earring, but at the time Ruin and Preservation were actively acting against each other.  With them both subsumed into Harmony, it seems like that would not necessarily be the case anymore.  That also raises another point that was discussed in this thread some time ago: without an equal and opposite force counteracting his actions, it would seem like sazed/harmony could probably do pretty much whatever he wants, up to and including: just straight-up giving people allomantic powers without hemalurgy (remember spook was a mistborn after HoA) or giving Wax a second wind when he needed it.

also, I would guess that the hemalurgical charge on the earring, while there, has worn down to a tiny fraction of what it was originally.

true, Vin could draw the mists better without the earring, but at the time Ruin and Preservation were actively acting against each other.  With them both subsumed into Harmony, it seems like that would not necessarily be the case anymore.  That also raises another point that was discussed in this thread some time ago: without an equal and opposite force counteracting his actions, it would seem like sazed/harmony could probably do pretty much whatever he wants, up to and including: just straight-up giving people allomantic powers without hemalurgy (remember spook was a mistborn after HoA) or giving Wax a second wind when he needed it.

also, I would guess that the hemalurgical charge on the earring, while there, has worn down to a tiny fraction of what it was originally.

This actually brings up a thought of mine. We know that Sazed changed Allomancy so that snapping was easier/not as painful. Could he have changed Hemalurgy so that the charges in a metal did not deteriorate as badly? Otherwise after 300 years who knows where and being melted down I doubt an Inquisitors spike would still have much of a charge to give.

This actually brings up a thought of mine. We know that Sazed changed Allomancy so that snapping was easier/not as painful. Could he have changed Hemalurgy so that the charges in a metal did not deteriorate as badly? Otherwise after 300 years who knows where and being melted down I doubt an Inquisitors spike would still have much of a charge to give.

I thought Hemalurgic decay only  affect spikes while they were not in someone so Inquisitor spikes would not experience the decay

I doubt the inquisitor spike would have been in someone for all of the 300 years.   Maybe the Kandra keep them in their bodies like an extra blessing when they arent in the possession of a human, but I wouldn't bet on it.  I doubt it needs much of a hemalurgic charge anyway, though.  I assume the purpose would be to make it easier for sazed to find/communicate with his followers, so even a miniscule charge should be enough for that.

@tavash, It could be that he made a change like that, i don't know of anything that would necessarily preclude him from doing it, but given his stated opinion on hemalurgy, i don't know that I think he would bother

that was me yeah, I asked him what metal it was made of at the Vancouver signing, he refused to tell me, but he did say it's got a slight hemalurgic charge. He also wrote in my book that it's made from a melted down Inquisitor spike.

This post was way back there...but...Thanks for sharing this...you answered a question that has been bugging me for a while..."Where do the faceless immortals get the hema-spikes that the pathians use?"  up vote...

I could have sworn that Wax mentions the earring being made of steel when he first describes going through his daily prayer...so I went back and read that part...and alas...I was wrong.  He simply describes it as "a simple thing, stamped on the head with the 10 interlocking rings of the Path."   

I can't recall if I've asked this elsewhere... are the "ten interlocking rings of the path" the surgebinding chart, which is also ten interlocking rings?

Seems like a massive leap of logic to me, but it does raise an interesting point. Why ten? Sixteen has always been the number focused upon in Scadrial in part due to the Shards. With a culture and economy that used to be founded on allomancy it's unusual a religion that presumably existed for a long time would switch it up on a whim. The only Shards that use ten frequently that I recall are in Greater Roshar. Odium included.

Something doesn't look right with this picture.

• 4 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic