Sequel: Ideas and plans

.S.A.M.K.M

Well we can guess the sequal will be about NIghtblood and its two humans side kicks. THey will be attempting to deal with Yesteel in the kuth and huth lands, as well as the new awakening magics he is attempting.

We know Nighblood takes and feeds on breath, but does that mean that breath is lost for ever.

For the hallandran they have a new king and queen who want peace. They will attempt to make a fair peace treaty with idriss, will likly give concesstions to both sides. EIther ask the idriss king to give up his throne, and become like a grand duke, uniting the two lands, the city allows the god of the idriss to be worshiped, and better life for all. Hallandron sounds very rich from its trade, will the king use that to help his people and idriss. Make a deal, if he and the kings daughter can have a child, that child will become the ruler of both lands, but if not after his death the crown reverts to the children and rightful heir to the throne. I wonder if there will be an attempt by the two kingdoms to aquire Kuth and Huth. Idriss was afraid of war when there was simply a lifeless army, now they face a legendary army that destroed a life less army.

I was thinking about the future, if it was possible to create a ship with awakening to travel to the worlds above. The magic is limited to breath, colors, form and command. When objects are wakened, they dont consume breaths, so it has poterntial. Why is it we dont see more animalformed awakenings.

Also i wonder does it make a difference when using organic or non organic material, and does it matter if they are animal.

Also i wonder does it make a difference when using organic or non organic material, and does it matter if they are animal.

Inorganic material can't be awakened without the ninth heightening. Animal bodies create Lifeless, just like human bodies. Animal parts (leather, fur, etc) can be awakened in the normal manner.

For the hallandran they have a new king and queen who want peace. They will attempt to make a fair peace treaty with idriss, will likly give concesstions to both sides. EIther ask the idriss king to give up his throne, and become like a grand duke, uniting the two lands, the city allows the god of the idriss to be worshiped, and better life for all. Hallandron sounds very rich from its trade, will the king use that to help his people and idriss. Make a deal, if he and the kings daughter can have a child, that child will become the ruler of both lands, but if not after his death the crown reverts to the children and rightful heir to the throne. I wonder if there will be an attempt by the two kingdoms to aquire Kuth and Huth. Idriss was afraid of war when there was simply a lifeless army, now they face a legendary army that destroed a life less army.

I think it more likely that the two lands will formally stop hating each other, Idris will renounce its claim to the throne, Hallendren will renounce its claim to Idris lands, and both parties will enter into trade and mutual defense treaties. Idris copper and wool will be sold across the sea and they will gain the support of the Phantoms and Lifeless, while Hallendren dyes will be sold across the mountains and they will gain someone to protect their northern border.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next book reunites the crowns without any bloodshed or diplomacy necessary. If something happens to Siri's brother and she has a son, that son would stand a good chance of taking her father's crown. The current heir is the only male. Vivenna doesn't want anything to do with either crown. The next sister is a monk/nun and she would probably decline the crown. Currently, my take on the politics between the two is much the same as that Eddings set up between Mimbrates and Asturians. The main reason for hatred is that neither side is willing to talk to the other.

Much more needs to come out about Vasher's history. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does not wind up surviving the book. Sanderson has already shown a willingness to kill off the main characters if it helps advance the plot. Viv will develop her latent Returned abilities.

Definately going to be some type of conflict with huth/kuth. After what went down in the first book, the mysterious Returned will be expecting them to some degree.

There are a few things I remember reading both in the annotations and the book about a possible sequel:

1. Yesteel would be making more swords like Nightblood, it would have led the destruction of Hallendren if they had gone to war with Idris, since Yesteel would have allied with Idris.

2. We would be told the trick that Returned use to have children.

3. We would learn more about how much thought remains to a Lifeless, and that it was more than any of characters realized, we may even get a Lifeless PoV, possibly Arsteel. We'd probably see Jewel again in that case as well.

4. The method by which Vasher suppresses and avoids using his Divine Breath when awakening things. I guess there's more to than simply trying not to?

We know what happens when the organic or in organic is awakened, but what happens if a living entity is awakened. A returned breath will cure and restore anything except death. What happens if some one awakens plants or trees or animals.

In some stories, there are creatures like elves that can convince trees to give up wood freely, and shaped but with out any harm coming to the tree it self. This is often done with with songs. SO i thought a tree awakened then commanded to shape a new form what would happen. THere are crystals that grow and coral, what would be the effect. Clams and muluscs and outer shelled creatures. Sheep and goat, and horned animals, they all produce living material that grows, imagine it awakened, shaped and commanded.

Interesting idea, but my take would be that it is well nigh impossible to awaken the objects while they are still alive. I am not going to say impossible because Sanderson may decide to throw a screwball on us in the next book. Still, definately could not do it to a sentient object as that would make them work against their will.

The material from horned animals could be awakened as the material is largely bone and other organics. It would take some careful carving or a large amount of breaths to do so however. Crystals never live. Awakening them would take incredible power and breaths. Clams, Oysters, etc. You could definately awaken the meaty portion and cause it to move the shell. Awakening the shells themselves would be akin to trying to awaken a stick of chalk or a limestone building block. While technically possible, the number of breaths and level would be highly unfeasible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbonate

• 2 months later...

Well from what I understand, it's very far in the future. From what I've read, he's going to be trying to release two Stormlight books every three years. Between these he'll be writing Alloy sequels, an Elantris sequal, as well as an annotated version of the origional book, somewhere around 2015. When he completes the first five Stormlight books, he will be diving into the second Mistborn Trilogy.

I don't think he has any idea when Nightblood is coming out. It's probably a fairly involved process, because he says he'll write Nightblood in the same way he wrote Warbreaker, with heavy fan feedback. It'll probably take time to sort through all the opinions.

Edited by Windrunner

Well from what I understand, it's very far in the future. From what I've read, he's going to be trying to release two Stormlight books every three years. Between these he'll be writing Alloy sequels, an Elantris sequal, as well as an annotated version of the origional book, somewhere around 2015. When he completes the first five Stormlight books, he will be diving into the second Mistborn Trilogy.

I don't think he has any idea when Nightblood is coming out. It's probably a fairly involved process, because he says he'll write Nightblood in the same way he wrote Warbreaker, with heavy fan feedback. It'll probably take time to sort through all the opinions.

That means that he will for sure be writing Alloy of Law sequels, specifically and not the second Mistborn trilogy? Knew about the Elantris sequels (time skip, right?)

If I've got a bone to pick with Sanderson its his endings. I admire the "this is a interesting moment in time of the characters life and they live on" philosophy, but he ended the first Mistborn more conclusively than he did Alloy of Law or Elantris (Warbreaker I was fine with).

Edited by Voldy

• 4 weeks later...

So if Returned can't have children, will the unnamed baby Returned (intended to be the next God King) be adopted by Siri and Susebron? How active will Susebron and Siri be in politics, now that Susebron can speak?

I love the idea of Arsteel returning as a Lifeless, though. But would it be possible to make a Lifeless out of a Returned? My gut instinct says no, but perhaps it can be done. It might require more breaths, or it might have to be fed a breath every week, just the same as when it was living.

I just thought of what I want to see in Nightblood today. I want to know what happens to Llarimar. Lightsong is dead, what will he do now? I have on idea, that I think is a pretty good one. If you remember the end of Warbreaker, with Treledees's death, Susebron has a vacant high priest position. Llarimar has no god. It's too perfect for it to not work out. I think he'll become Susebron's high priest. Siri thought he was nice, and it'd be cool to see someone a little nicer then Treledees serving the God King. My only regret is that the book won't be centered around Siri, so we won't see much of him. We may never know why Lightsong could juggle fruit... :(

Well, I guess that makes sense. I rather do like it when it's possible to find two pieces that seem like they should fit together like that. I see no reason why Scoot wouldn't be Susebron's chief priest, especially since he's the chief priest of the Returned that saved Susebron's life.

So if Returned can't have children, will the unnamed baby Returned (intended to be the next God King) be adopted by Siri and Susebron? How active will Susebron and Siri be in politics, now that Susebron can speak?

I love the idea of Arsteel returning as a Lifeless, though.

Actually, Arsteel did return as a Lifeless. He's Clod.

On the other issue, there is a way for God Kings to bear children, but we don't know what it is.

And Susebron is basically in charge of everything in Hallendren now. He has control of the world's most powerful army, has virtually infinite power, and the entire county literally worships him.

Edited by ReaderAt2046

Clod the Lifeless

Yes, Clod is Arsteel, in case you were wondering. After Vasher killed him, Denth's team decided to have him made into a Lifeless. Partially because Denth was curious if it was possible, and partially because Arsteel was such a capable warrior that they knew he'd make for an excellently skilled Lifeless. It isn't as good as having Arsteel himself, of course, but Clod is probably the greatest Lifeless swordfighter in existence right now in the entire world.

Another tidbit that never comes up is that Jewels was in love with Arsteel, which is the primary reason she joined Denth's team in the first place. Arsteel joined it because he wanted to try to redeem Denth; he felt that a reconciliation between Denth and Vasher was possible, and as a peacemaker, he thought he might be able to make it happen. As for why Vasher killed him . . . well, I'm afraid that's another story that will have to wait for the sequel.

Now that Denth is dead, Jewels is taking Arsteel to Yesteel, hoping that Yesteel, a master Lifeless creator. She hopes that Yesteel can return sentience to him. Although he has a little bit on his own, thanks to the Breaths Vasher gave him before he killed him. I'd like to see Yesteel create an artificial Returned though. It would be awesome, if perhaps impossible.

• 2 months later...

Breaths had to be willingly passed on, and only the awakener of an object can take back the breaths. Nightblood changes that, it can take the breaths from an individual and most likely an awakened object as well. Has nightblood ever fed on the returned?

Everyone thinks color is the important factor, but awakening involves perfect pitch and similar characteristics.

Breaths can be passed on to others, but what about something living like an animal or tree?

I wonder why there are not more things purposely made to be awakened. Dolls, clothes tools, weapons, all could be better shaped for awakening on purpose.

There will have to be a new treaty made what with the attempted invasion by lifeless even though it was stopped. There will be a difference, instead of ruled by priests, the kingdom is ruled by a returned.

Set it up for both the high and low lands are united. If Siri can give a child to the god king, then that child becomes the ruler of the kingdom. The current king of Idris would for swear the throne, and become the Governor or Protector of the North, a new hereditary position. If the couple has no child then, the throne goes to the king of Idris, and any god king simply rules that city and local surroundings.

There would be plenty of conditions and agreements to such an agreement. Lots of political moves. The thing is they might not be fans of awakening and the returned, but the Idris royal line is descended from a returned and carries a portion of their power, so if the magic is an abomination so are they.

I bet the reason why the returned dont have children is a priest conspiracy. They are only fed enough breath, once a week. If they are given more then the women could support both themselves and the child. If all returned had kids, then they would not be that special and loose some of the holy. also, it might mean loss of power for the priests.

However, THe royal family is descended from Vo, I think this was before awakening was really discovered, so it might not be breaths, but what if it is the flowers, the ones that produce dyes. THe gods at court could be specifically banned from eating them.

A temple for Austere to be build in the court and in the Highlands neighborhood. A temple in each city to be sure. This could allow for Siri's sister to move to the city, also the clergy to help more people. Also every returned would have to be sent to the court of the returned.

The god king would pay for the four passes to be fortified and rebuilt to allow easier and greater travel. As well as pay for all the roads in the kingdom to be built to a high standard. Such an act would secure the north and give many jobs. It would also ensure that trade and cargo could be moved easier.

I know the low lands are on an inland sea, and there are four passes in the high lands, is this the only way to reach this region by land? Who are the neighbors? In the book it said it was between mountains so I think the whole region is surrounded and sheltered by mountains.

I bet Mab the cook would be invited to come to the city just to make Siri happy.

Kuth and Huth, I guess are kingdoms accessible through the northern passes. I bet that that the final member of the five will get angry at the princess so send his evil awakened army through the passes for revenge. Her father and brother would fall in battle, the god king would send the statue army to help end the threat of that evil army, so uniting the highlands, lowlands, and the kingdoms of Kuth and Huth. THe other kingdoms would not have a reason to interfere as the evil army was the attacker so started the fight, while the statues ended it.

Edited by .S.A.M.K.M

• 1 month later...

Llarimar as the new High Priest for Susebron sounds like a good idea to me. He was competent, intelligent, dedicated and loyal, and all-in-all a decent guy. I think he would fit the role quite nicely.

Susebron is really, emphatically, in charge of Hallandren at the end of Warbreaker. Tradition is firmly behind him (he was already the nominal ruler), he survived an attempted coup from a power most Hallandren will consider foreign, and as a side effect took charge of the greatest army his world has ever seen. On top of all that, he is also the most potent Awakener around. He has all of the trappings of power that his world recognizes, and he is legitimate in the eyes of the nation that provides him with that power. Seriously, from Hallandren's point of view, he's not just the God-King, he's also a Hero. And if gets out that Peacegiver gave him an implicit endorsement...

Well, there may be other powers in the world capable of challenging him, but I doubt they are internal, and they would all need serious awakening to do it. Swords like Nightblood would be one option. I also suspect that Idris, if push came to shove, will from here on out be more closely aligned with Hallandren than its enemies. Culturally, they have more in common than they admit, and with a marriage established, they also have common interests. A child from Siri and Susebron would make things just about rock-solid, at least from a nation-state perspective.