My first time

Swifftalon

First Sanderson?  

1240 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your first Sanderson book/series?

• Mistborn (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages)
    • Stormlight (the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance)
    • Elantris
    • Warbreaker
    • The Rithmatist
    • Steelheart
    • Legion
    • The Emperors Soul
    • Other?

Well, I broke the old adage of never judging book by it's cover. I was walking through BN when I saw it on display. The gothic artwork combined with a girl (Vin, I now know) wearing something a human would actually wear unlike 90%, intrigued me enough to pick it up. The back cover blurb convinced me to buy it.

And the next morning, after very little sleep, I had to go back the next two.

. Which cover was it?

I first set eyes on The Final Empire when I asked a book store worker (is there a word for that job?) for a recommendation in the fantasy area. She suggested either TFE or Peter Brett's The Painted Man. I must confess that I was weak and chose to try out Brett first. After reading (and being a little disturbed by) The Painted Man, I ended up back at the store and kept getting drawn back to the book with "What if the Dark Lord won?" on the front cover.

After that, I absolutely devoured Mistborn, moving on to Elantris and Warbreaker, then picking up TWoK soon after. Little did I know that I was making my way across the cosmere! Then, I found this forum about six months before WoR came out. There's no going back!

I've got about 3 people currently diving in to Sanderson's works. I can't wait to jump them with the Cosmere... when they're ready...

• 2 weeks later...

Which was your first Sanderson book? 

Mine was the Mistborn series, then Alloy of Law, then Warbreaker, then Elantris, then WoK, then Rithmatist, then Steelhert, then Legion, the The Emperors Soul, and then WoR. Excitedly awaiting Firefight now!

I started with The Gathering Storm, then Mistborn 1-3, WoK, Elantris, Warbreaker, and by then I was pretty much caught up

Right, The Gathering Storm. I voted for Elantris, but really it was TGS. It's all been in order of publication for me (except for his short story in the Games Creatures Play anthology, which for some reason I still haven't read).

I came across Sanderson through mention by Patrick Rothfuss.  I started with Mistborn 1-2-3. I was hooked then and have gone through all published Cosmere material (and unpublished that I could find) along with Legion and Steelheart. And that brought me to all of you :)  Sanderson is great and I love his stories, but your discussions/comments/teasing/sharing have added so much to his art and made the learning/discovery process so much more enjoyable.Thank you all!

I tied with Alcatraz and The Gathering Storm. Funnily enough I came across them totally separately and didn't notice that they were the same author for a couple of weeks. After that was Towers of Midnight and The Way of Kings.

Considering it's the roughest around the edges, it was clear Brandon was going to be an amazing author since I keep reading after Elantris, my first Brandon Sanderson read.   :)  After that was the Mistborn Trilogy (the last one hadn't come out in paperback yet when I read it, so I have two in paperback and the third in hardback), and all books after that were read in the order they were published (Wheel of Time books included).

I remember seeing an interview with Brandon when it was publicly announced that he would finish the WoT series. He seemed like a nice, humble but serious guy and mentioned he had a free book to download on his website.

So I downloaded Warbreaker and read it. Then bought the hardcover (I love the cover).

I liked reading the annotations to Warbreaker and actually read a bunch of Mistborn ones without even reading the book. I thought the series sounded interesting so I bought the trilogy and read it in 4 days or something.

I then read all his new epic fantasy novels as they came out... though only read Elantris last year.

Someone on a LOTR fansite I belong to recommended The Way of Kings as one of their favorites. I thought it looked like good summer reading and checked it out of the library. I planned it to take a few weeks to read.

Four days later I went back for Elantris and Warbreaker. Mistborn and the rest of the cosmere soon followed.

I found Alcatraz when I was 12 or so and followed them all the way through the Shattered Lense. It was so funny that I decided to check out Brandon's website to see if/when he was going to write the 5th book. I found the rest of his stuff and started reading it while I waited. Needless to say… I'm still waiting.  ;)

Shouldn't the WoT books be in the poll? I think many of us came to know Brandon through those... My first Brandon book was thus the Gathering Storm. My first all Brandon book was the Mistborn Trilogy, followed by Way of Kings, the Rithmatist, Words of Radiance and Warbreaker. My next Brandon read will probably either be Steelheart or Alloy of Law followed by Elantris and Emperor's Soul, all depending on the availability of the said books at the local library :)

I began with Elantris without knowing anything about the author. I picked it in the library and just thought the book titel is kind of cool. After reading it, I'm fascinated at Brandon's writing, then I finished the whole Mistborn series, wanting for more. The next ride was The Way of Kings, which makes Stormlight Archive my favourite fantasy saga ever (probably). After that, I read through Warbreaker and almost all the Cosmere stories I can find. Then came some non-Cosmere books, but I didn't finish all of them. The highlight of this year is definitely Words of Radiance, and I'm longing to read the rest!

I read in order of release, so I started with Elantris first, which is probably why I'm still so fond of it even though I can objectively see that his writing has improved greatly since then it remains one of my favourites.