My first time

Swifftalon

First Sanderson?  

1240 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your first Sanderson book/series?

• Mistborn (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages)
    • Stormlight (the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance)
    • Elantris
    • Warbreaker
    • The Rithmatist
    • Steelheart
    • Legion
    • The Emperors Soul
    • Other?

I was visiting Charleston when I decided to stop by a bookstore to see if I could find anything good. I picked out The Way of Kings, and I loved it. Easily the best book I had ever read at that point. I think I was on Oathbringer when I found out about the rest of the cosmere, and now I am nearly caught up, with only Mistborn Era 2 left to read.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was living in the smallish city of Newport in Wales from 2006 to 2013. At that time, it had a Waterstones (large British Bookstore chain), and the staff there were adding hand written cards of  recomendations to shelves under the books they had enjoyed. As someone who had loved Ursula Le Guin, Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert and J R R Tolkein (among others) as a teenager, I always looked at the Sci Fi and Fantasy sections and read the recomendation cards. Fairly early in my time in Newport (when I had already started George R R Martin's song of Ice and Fire) there was a card recommending Robin Hobb's  Assasin Trilogy. I read that and loved it. A year or two later, there was a card next to the Mistborn trilogy (which was available as a 3 book paperback set in a slipcase already) and the fact it was from the the same person at the bookstore who had recommended Robin Hobb (combined with Robin Hobb's own endorement of Brandon) sold me. 

Once I'd finished the Mistborn trilogy, I was hooked and immediately read Elantris and Warbreaker. Just after that, I managed to find a single volume (smaller print) paperback of Way of Kings at a Bookstore on a visit to Berlin (it was only avilable as two paperback volumes in the UK at the time). This was probably December 2010 or 2011. Knowing there were no other Cosemere books to read, I ended up buying the Eye of the World (my brother, who is 11 years older than me, had previously recommended the Wheel of Time. I had always assumed it would have that certain dated 70s/80s vibe that came with Michael Moorcock and other books he had recommended to me in my teens and twentys, so I hadn't previously taken up the recomendation). I literally only started the Wheel of Time (and read through the whole thing) so that I could enjoy Brandon's writing in the three books at the end! I am really lad I went on that journey, though I did fo on it at lightning speed (two years or so) compared to Robert Jordans original fans. The continuing journey through the Cosmere feels for  me more like the long lasting companion through life that I talked to many WoT fans about when they were finally able to get the conclusion to the story with Brandon completing the last three books.

A family friend recommended Mistborn to my dad. He started reading it and thought I would like it. I started the prologue, bounced off, and came back a while later. It happened to be the summer of 2020, so I managed to do nothing but eat, sleep, and read Mistborn for several days. I loved it.
When I decided to start reading The Way of Kings, my dad warned me that he’d heard it was a big commitment.  I gave him a look that meant “do not underestimate my powers of binge reading” and henceforth read through Brandon’s entire body of work. 
It has been my mission since to convert all who will listen to the ways of the Cosmere. By my last count, I’ve gotten at least seven other people hooked via my magic powers of Persistent Bugging.

The first time I was introduced to the Cosmere was when I was a college freshman in 2019. My brother lived in the same town and we decided to carpool home for Christmas. He was playing an audiobook that he was in the middle of and I found it really interesting. I never got the name or author (or I just could not remember it) and when I described what I heard he could not really help me figure out based on the details I gave him. So I just went on listening to or reading other books hoping that I could stumble on it one day.

Well, after a couple years, I started having friends recommend the Stormlight Archives to me. I asked my brother if he had heard of it and he said it was his favorite series he has ever read (I don't know why he couldn't have pointed me to it before😂). Within the year, I had read or listened to all the Stormlight Archives and started to look up some theories online. That was when I found out that there was so much more to the story that I had yet discovered and started on the first Mistborn Era. I kept going through the Cosmere related books and a few of Brandon Sanderson's other works. I still have a ways to go, but I am so grateful for how well he treats his fans and how Brandon and his team made it fun to be a part of the community. Now I would definitely say I have favorite author!