Swifftalon

My first time

First Sanderson?   1,125 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your first Sanderson book/series?

• Mistborn (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages)
    • Stormlight (the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance)
    • Elantris
    • Warbreaker
    • The Rithmatist
    • Steelheart
    • Legion
    • The Emperors Soul
    • Other?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

536 posts in this topic

November. 2017.

I'm carpooling with a friend, and he's raving about a book called 'Oathbringer' that came out a few days ago. The name intrigued me, so I asked after it. He began to speak of an author named Brandon Sanderson, who wrote High Fantasy like it was nothing.

I asked if he had a book I could borrow to read.

He supplied me with a battered copy of The Way Of Kings. I started reading it as soon as I got home. I was in middle school at an IB school, so I didn't have much homework.

Because of this boy, I have read Stormlight 4 times, both Mistborn Era's twice, the full Arcanum Unbound, Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Skyward series (sans novellas)

Thank you, friend.

5 years.

Of Sanderson. Let's freaking go boys.

On 9/16/2010 at 10:34 PM, Swifftalon said:

I love hearing personal stories and hearing people's opinions and comments on them, so I wold like for all of you to leave an account on how you first heard about Brandon Sanderson and what kept you with him as his career has taken off.

I was looking for a new book to read in high school after finishing Harry Potter, and a friend let me borrow his copy of mistborn. I devoured it, and finished the trilogy within a few months. I didn't get into Stormlight until a decade later, and I struggled to really dive into the paper copies, just because of not having the time to sit and read. But recently I discovered the audio versions and I am HOOKED. Almost done with RoW, and I might go back and listen to the first two so I can get all the juicy details that I probably missed when reading the hard copies.

My brother turned me on to mistborn when I was going through a really tough time and I really needed a good long series to get lost in. 

I fell in love with his story telling and I've been hooked ever since. I took my brother to Dragonsteel as a thank you for all his help with my kids and for being so supportive, and that's when I started my book collection....

I'm working my way through WOT this year. Next year I plan on finishing most of the rest of his works. Super looking forward to the secret project boxes! That was the best surprise ever....I was so afraid that he was sick or was going through a tough patch.

I started reading Mistborn in 2017 and got all the way through era 1 and Alloy of Law, then school ended and I never picked the series back up. Fastforward to 2020 when I got the Stormlight Archive for my birthday, finished those 3 in 3 weeks. Would've been faster if I wasn't doing full-time school and work at the same time. This is the point when I became Cosmere aware and began reading through all of the books in the cosmere. I still need to read Sixth of the Dusk, Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, and White Sand. During this time I also discovered he had written the last three books in wheel of time and so I read that as well.

*not that great at writing so hope you can follow this*

I only started this year in April. My friend gifted me this huge wonderful book called Rhythm of War. Turned out it was not the first novel, so I bought WoK. I then got really sick in April and had nothing to do but lie around. It was the perfect time for starting a new novel series and since I had heard of Dalinar before, I was very excited to meet him (which takes some time, you know). The book was so good, I read it in like two days and, while still sick, sent my mother to the book store to get the next book. I've read the first four books while I was ill and took a little more time for book 5 (first part of Oathbringer) when I was going to school again. When I found out about the Cosmere, I literally spilled my tea. I already bought Mistborn to read as soon as possible and I definitely plan to read all of Mr Sanderson's works!

Posted (edited)

A couple of years ago, I was in a thrift store, and, as usual, instead of shopping for clothes, shoes, and other 'necessary' things, I went for the bookshelf. There was this book called Steelheart, and the prologue was really good, so I bought it, then read the rest of the series ASAP.

At least 6 months later, I happened across Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians at the library (why the Librarians would allow it on the shelves, I don't know), and read that as well. The second time I read it, I made the connection that the authors were the same Brandon Sanderson. I looked up the names of his other books, then forgot about it again.

A while later, I was at the library and saw The Way of Kings... huge Sanderfan and Cosmere nerd ever since. I've read the Stormlight Archive 5 times for sure, maybe more, and I can never find a copy of Way of Kings. I buy one, read the series, lend it to someone, buy it, read the series, lend it to someone. But hey, surely they'll give them back eventually, and you can never have too many copies!

Edited by Luckspren

At my bookclub, a friend (I guess I still haven't met them in person; it's an online bookclub) saw that I was a Harsh Book Critic, that I Loved Fantasy Above All Else, and recommended the Stormlight Archive. I made my brother get it for me for Christmas, and.... now here I am. What was my life without Branderson?

My dad was a Sanderfan from early on, ever since one of his siblings attended his writing class. When I was about 10, he recommended Alcatraz to me and I read the whole series in just four days. My dad was so impressed he got me the Mistborn books for christmas, and about two weeks later, a dozen or so library trips, and many unslept nights. I'd read the Cosmere and become completely obsessed.

I was in middle school, and I had finished the LoTR series and was looking for something to read, and my Dad gave me his Mistborn books. I’ve now been reading Sanderson’s books for the past five years.

In 2013 my uncle had a copy of the first Mistborn book at a family get together. I borrowed it, read it in one day (about 12 hours of reading with only breaks for meals) and was immediately hooked. Over the next 6 or 8 months I found Elantris, Warbreaker, and WOK and read WOR right around when it came out.

I’m pretty sure my first on was Steelheart. It was a couple years ago. I was in 3rd or 4th grade probably. I liked it and finished the series, but I didn’t search for Sanderson in bookstores. I started WoT in 5th grade, but I barely finished EotW. The only one I specifically remember him recommending was TWoK also in 5th grade probably. I read it, and it was simply too amazing. And I now have an extreme obsession with/addiction to Sanderson books.