Swifftalon

My first time

First Sanderson?   1,046 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your first Sanderson book/series?

• Mistborn (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages)
    • Stormlight (the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance)
    • Elantris
    • Warbreaker
    • The Rithmatist
    • Steelheart
    • Legion
    • The Emperors Soul
    • Other?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

505 posts in this topic

I "discovered" him through WoT. The way I started reading him was two fold.  I met him at a Con in 2009. I was given a paperback copy of Mistborn at the Con, as well as, winning a signed copy of Hero of ages in a trivia contest.  I didn't read Brandon's stuff right away though. I was at a friend's place in California in, I think, 2010 or 2011. He had a copy tWoK and I started reading it.  Found the action scenes a bit over the top but I was intrigued. Unfortunately, my friend wouldn't let me sneak out of the house with his book,  and let me tell you, it is pretty hard to sneak with a SLA HC. Bought it when I got back to my place, and I already had 2/3 of Mistborn,  so I was on my way.  

So I do Jiu Jitsu and one of the people who trains with us is a doctor and he found Brandon and WoK somehow so he told me about I read it then the rest of stormlight then mistborn and Warbreaker and am currently waiting on Wax and Wayne book 2

I looked WoK like fifty different library’s and none of them had any copies, so I bought a copy. I soon fell in love with the rest of the cosmere and Brandon’s works. Thank you Brandon!!!

It began....well it began as you might expect....with 2020. 

It was quarantine and I was going to be out power for several days so I decided to pick up one of my unread books. I had Way of Kings on my shelf since I was in middle school and never had read it. I was some of the way into the Wheel of Time, adored it, and knew he finished it. Least to say, picked it up, and after 48 hrs with no sleep, I was over half way through and couldn't put it down! I was so excited when I found out Book 4 was coming out this year, and grateful Sanderson didn't push it back!

7 hours ago, BookDragon09 said:

It began....well it began as you might expect....with 2020. 

It was quarantine and I was going to be out power for several days so I decided to pick up one of my unread books. I had Way of Kings on my shelf since I was in middle school and never had read it. I was some of the way into the Wheel of Time, adored it, and knew he finished it. Least to say, picked it up, and after 48 hrs with no sleep, I was over half way through and couldn't put it down! I was so excited when I found out Book 4 was coming out this year, and grateful Sanderson didn't push it back!

Haha. The Way of Kings is really enchanting, isn't it?

I learned of Brandon Sanderson from his taking over to complete the Wheel of Time books, which I'd been reading for a long, long time.

I greatly enjoyed his writing style and pace - it felt distinct from Jordan's while managing also to be true to the characters, not an easy feat - and I read that Harriet "Jordan" had selected him for this difficult task based on being super-impressed with his "debut" trilogy of Mistborn. So, I picked it up and it blew me away with its multiple nested reveals that were all right there from the beginning, and the extremely tight and innovative "hard" magic system.

Then I found that Elantris was actually his first published novel, just not as a trilogy, and that my wife already had it on our bookshelf, I just hadn't noticed it! So I read that one. Then came Warbreaker, which was a free e-book and a "standalone" story (ha), as was the award-winning The Emperor's Soul, which blew me away in a new way, and I was like, what can this guy do to surprise me further?

Over the holidays that year, I told a friend of mine of my "discovery" of Sanderson, and he had already read those books. And he gifted me a copy of The Way of Kings, saying this was like "the ultimate in Brandon Sanderson", but I was put off not by it being a gigantic "doorstop" novel a la the Wheel of Time books, but that it was Book One of a TEN VOLUME story arc.

Given how TWoT took twenty-three years to finish (and with another writer), and how a "5- no, now it'll be 7" book story arc in "A Song of Ice and Fire" and even a "trilogy" like the Kingkiller Chronicles have not seen any progress in a nearly a decade, and the fact that I was by now in my 40s, I was like "I can't do this again."

I also puzzled as to how TES was described somewhere as being in the same world/setting as Elantris, when pretty much none of the nations, characters, or magic systems overlap. I Googled further and found this forum, where I discovered these works were all linked in a "Cosmere", like a Marvel Universe kind of thing, with common underlying "magical quantum mechanics", backstory, and long-term dovetailing storc arcs, and I was like, OK, that seals the deal. (This forum is also what first clued me in to this "Hoid" guy.)

That's around when Words of Radiance got published. And so, I caved. I decided if anybody could legit finish a ten-book story arc, amid other projects no less, in my lifetime (much less his, as I'm older than Brandon), it'd be him. I tore through TWoK and WoR and have no regrets.

Edited by robardin

My first was the Reckoners series last summer. 

A colleague from work was reading Oathbringer and talked about the Stormlight Archive and also described in detail the way in other series "people will eat metal to shoot coins" and, while it sounded interesting, when he told the premise of Reckoners it really caught my eye. 

We were both -well, actually the whole studio- in the middle of a very stressful project and it was my role to handle de Supervillan -AKA, the client- so it was nice to hop in at every single available moment to the Reckoners world and fight the good fight. I was amazed by the way that Brandon was able to surpise me and subvert my expectations while being a MASTER of foreshadowing.

Anyway I loved the series and ended up buying the t-shirt and the boardgame. 

Reckoners was really great, on par to many of other YA series I had read in the past, but oh boy. My colleague told my while laughing, "If you loved this and were surprised by the twist and turns... wait till you read the Cosmere". What a cliffhanger!

However, i couldn't start Mistborn till a few months later cause Abebooks lost my order and I was distracted by this project to even notice that my boxed set wasn't arriving. I had to order it twice but once I had it... well, I am only missing The Rithmatist and the Infinity Blade books (I think) now. 

I am definitely Invested -capital I, of course- in the Cosmere. And I am always on the lookout for new recruits!

I remember walking into the fantasy aisle of a Hastings to get somewhere else, probably classics, and I saw this huge book with beautiful art work on it. Well I'd just finished Les Misérables and fancied myself a reader of giant novels and picked up Way of Kings. Prior to this I had read one fantasy novel, The Sword of Shannara. I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into, but man did I make a great choice. I read the book and fell in love, I don't remember if WoR was out yet or not but it spurred me to read all the other fantasy I could get my hands on (finally buckling down and reading LoTR, starting ASoIaF among others) And then I was back in that same Hastings and saw there was the next book!! I didn't read it and brought both books with me to university telling myself I'd find time to read it, I didn't until my final semester (say what you want about it but season 8 of GoT got me back into reading) I binge read just about every fantasy book I owned and, lucky me, not only did I fall back in love with Stormlight Archive but the third book had come out by now! (I'd waited so long it was out in paper back) But even when I was not invested in reading Way of Kings came with me whereever I went. Back and forth from College, summers spent as a camp Lifeguard. The poor book is falling apart. (though I blame its size more than anything, it's only been read eight or so times by now) 

I'm usually a stickler for my books matching. And I prefer MMPBs. But my Stormlight books don't match, the first two are MMPBs the third is a Paperback but it's giant and RoW is hardback (I hate hardback books). This should infuriate me, I've got quite a few other series I'm waiting on the MMPB to come out before I read the next book. But I don't actually mind, in this case the different books tell the story of my love for the series and my relationship with reading for pleasure (which is very much entangled with my relationship with these books)

I've finally started chipping away at the rest of the cosmere, and it's all brilliant but, man, Stormlight holds such a special place in my heart. 

I got into Sanderson when I picked Mistborn era 1 off my dad's bookshelf, he lent me MB because he wanted me to read a good female protagonist. He also had tWoK part 1 which I read next. He didn't have the rest of the stormlight books because he was having trouble getting through tWoK. But, by the time I finished oathbringer I was like DUDE YOU NEED TO READ THIS (and his now reading RoW). Then my dad pulled out Elantris from the back of his bookshelf. His Elantris was obviously well loved and falling apart; I had a blast reading it. My dad and I continued to trade cosmere books, and now we're both obsessed with Sanderson and we bond over his books. 

Part of the reason i love Sanderson so much is because it has provided easy segways in convos with my dad into important issues like mental health and other hard-hitting topics that I otherwise wouldnt have to courage to bring up in conversation. 

I read my first Sanderson book early this fall when my school library re-opened. I was looking through the catalog randomly and griping about the lack of fantasy books when I glimpsed Skyward's cover that I thought was familiar. Maybe I saw it in a bookstore before or something, but I ended up borrowing it. I read the book in a day and proceeded to buy the Starsight ebook.

I'm reading WoR now, and I remember that my first cosmere book was mistborn, which my librarian had avidly recommended to me last year. I read this on an e-reader as well, and I quickly finished the rest of the first era. :)

9 hours ago, midnight13 said:

I read my first Sanderson book early this fall when my school library re-opened. I was looking through the catalog randomly and griping about the lack of fantasy books when I glimpsed Skyward's cover that I thought was familiar. Maybe I saw it in a bookstore before or something, but I ended up borrowing it. I read the book in a day and proceeded to buy the Starsight ebook.

I'm reading WoR now, and I remember that my first cosmere book was mistborn, which my librarian had avidly recommended to me last year. I read this on an e-reader as well, and I quickly finished the rest of the first era. :)

Woohoo! That’s awesome! Yeah, once I finished WoK I immediately started reading WoR. 
It’s great that a lot of you have such great relationships with librarians. . . The only problem I have with my school is that there isn’t a fantasy section. So I have to go to the town library or buy a book if I want to read. 

27 minutes ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

The only problem I have with my school is that there isn’t a fantasy section. So I have to go to the town library or buy a book if I want to read. 

My school library has quite a large fantasy section in it, but it's not very diverse. All of the books heavily follow YA tropes, which is fine, it's just not my cup of tea. I got one of my friends (who volunteers at the school library) to encourage the librarian to get Mistborn. So now everyone at my school can enjoy Mistborn era 1. I think I convince them to get Elantris, Skyward and Warbreaker aswell, but SA wouldn't really belong in my school library :(, so they probably wouldn't get it unless I bullied them  am really convincing when I pitch it.

I have let a lot of people at my school borrow my SA books before since they aren't at the school or local library, I have even given them to people that I only vaguely know in other year groups then cross my fingers and hope that they'll return them. The mini Sanderson army I built from doing have taken up the slogan #sharethesanderson and when we chat together we often shout WE SHALL CONVERT THEM ALL (into cosmere fans). 

yay

I first heard of Sanderson when my dad was telling one of his co-workers about a book he read where the character got magical powers from eating metal and as I love magic and eating I was immediately interested. So I went to the library and checked it out. I loved it but I was also into some other series at the time so I probably would have stopped with Sanderson after mistborn. But then some of my friends who were big Sanderson fans saw what I was reading and immediately started telling me about the cosmere. I've always wanted to read some books which had great plots by themselves but also had a much great plot that included all of them. So when I heard that there was an author doing basically the same thing I was hooked. So that how I found out about Sanderson.

Woohoo! That’s great! :)

I was dating a huge Wheel of Time fan the year before Memory of Light was released, and they convinced me to binge the series to catch up and be able to enjoy the release. Reading WoT in a few short months left me needing something else. I didn't have any other books on the scale of WoT to put my attention to and knew a friend from college was a huge Sanderson fan, so I asked her if his other stuff would be a good next step after WoT and what his first book was (because I had heard something about a shared world and had grown up a total publication order purist). So she sent me to Elantris and it was a bit of a let-down after WoT. I told my friend who convinced me to try once more with Mistborn, which was her favorite. 

And now I've read all the Cosmere works multiple times and am introducing my sister to the Cosmere as well. She likes intrigue, so I started her with Warbreaker and my dad with Mistborn. Since they share an Audible account, that makes a solid foundation before I send them to Stormlight. 

I am a wheel of time fan. I read wheel of time since I was 15 years old. Now, I am 37. After Jordan passed away, I was sad.

Then, I heard about brandon and this is how I find up about him.

I read the Wheel of time books and kind of forgot about him writing the last books. I found a Way of Kings book signed in a Barnes and Nobles, I randomly bought it for the birthday of a friend and decided I should read it before giving it to him, I loved it and I read all his books since. He is now my favorite Fantasy author by far

I was 10 in a library and started reading the prelude of way of kings

I have not found a better author yet

I was 10 years old, my mom had just bought a copy of Elantris, I thought the cover looked cool, so I read it and absolutely fell in love. I read it at least 10 times that year. I didn't have any interest in Mistborn at the time, because the sample chapter at the end of Elantris seemed dark and gritty and wasn't set in the same world as Elantris, but when my mom got me and my older brother a box set for christmas a couple years later, I grudgingly gave it a try. Unsurprisingly, I loved Mistborn as well. Almost the same thing happened with the Stormlight Archive. I'd read and loved Warbreaker online, but I thought Way of Kings looked big and mature and intimidating. My best friend in high school insisted it was even better than Mistborn, so I checked out a copy of Way of Kings at the library and was so immersed that I finished both it and Words of Radiance within the week. 

So...yeah. I've been reading Branderson for almost half my life.

I was seven and my dad shoved a copy of Steelheart into my hands and said "Read this"

when I was eleven I then got into Elantris

I'd been thinking about reading Steelheart whenever I saw it on the local library for a few year, but I always found something else to read. Then Skyward came out and I was like, "It's Sci-fi, I'm going to read it," and I have been a Sanderfan ever since.

His Mistborn book was recommended to me by a friend and after reading that, I became addicted. I have now read Skyward, Starsight, Hero of Ages, and just about every book he has published. My favorite however is the Stormlight Archive.

My friend shoved Way of Kings in my face, said "read it" and then walked away. I was scared at first (with how long it is) but now I've read every released cosmere book EXCEPT WHITE SANDS ARRGH 

8 minutes ago, IAmTheStick said:

My friend shoved Way of Kings in my face, said "read it" and then walked away. I was scared at first (with how long it is) but now I've read every released cosmere book EXCEPT WHITE SANDS ARRGH 

Trust me your not missing much

39 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Trust me your not missing much

@IAmTheStick don't listen to him, it's amazing