I have been reading through the cosmere books and in each one there is at least one world hopper,

SPOILER AHEAD, HIGHLIGHT TO READ

[There are around five in words of Radiance]

Through research and help from friends I have learned that almost all world hoppers are from other cosmere books. There is at least one person from each world that can world hop so that leads me to believe that it is possible with each magic system. I think it has something to do with traveling through Shadesmar. 

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Elantris spoilers ahead.

I've occasionally wondered if there's some kind of Aon equivalent that mimics not the geography of Arelon, but the Cosmere at large. I could imagine using such a "super-Aon" to worldhop, though it can't be easy--you'd need a knowledge of cosmic layout that you'd be hard-pressed to gain without radio telescopes.

On Scadrial, the best I can think of is to politely ask a local deity to sling you into another solar system.

Nalthis? Aside from Awakening a sword to "Bring me to other worlds", it's hard to imagine using the manipulation of Spiritual aspects to cross vast distances of space.

On Roshar, I bet that's what the Surge of Transportation is for. Perhaps Elsecallers and Willshapers can use Shadesmar like a sort of warp space, allowing them to leap across cosmic distances.

Hoid predates Shards and so does the letter recipient. Also, the Shards got to the Shardworlds some how. I think there must be someway of world hopping that involves magic that predates the Shards and involves magic we've never seen.

Hoid predates Shards and so does the letter recipient. Also, the Shards got to the Shardworlds some how. I think there must be someway of world hopping that involves magic that predates the Shards and involves magic we've never seen.

You know, I think you hit a good spot there. it's probably nothing to do with shardic magic.

Which means that unfortunately we have no way of speculating on it; we clearly miss some key piece of the big picture there. Although I'd say that investiture is involved in it, since every known worldhopper was already a magic user before.

Carrying on with that train of thoughts, every worldhopper is also apparently ageless, and we know that massive investiture grants it. So to become a worldhopper one need a lot of investiture, much more than what is normally available. but that still don't tell us how it actually is done.

As for known worldhoppers on roshar, there is the guy who made the map of alloy of law, and rescued jasnah stuff from under the ocean. i don't remember his name. and then there are the three guys that were looking for hoid in the way of kings (galladon, demoux, and someone we don't know). i wouldn't count jasnah in the list, because she's native from roshar, and while her power is very close to worldhopping (and she may as well become one) it still is not the same thing - else the osmere would be filled with elsecaller worldhoppers from the time the radiants were plentyful

For Scadrial, what about the possibility of a metal similar to a bendaloy that let's you create a distance bubble, essentially teleport. Or maybe it has something to do with feruchemically storing investiture. 

It's supposed to be quite difficult on Sel, most theories for Scadrial involve one of the god metals being involved, no idea of how it could work on Nalthis except potentially the flowers being involved.

In Way of Kings there is a short side chapter in Purelake where I think it was either three or four world hoppers appeared and talked with a fisherman. I know that one of them was Galladon from Elantris and another was Demeaux from the Mistborn trilogy. If anyone has any idea who the other one was I am quite curious.

Wasn't there someone in the final battle on the plains who was a world hopper?

I could have sworn there was some hubbub a while ago that the name of a one of Strafes servants was mentioned as a soldier at the end of WoR.

It's supposed to be quite difficult on Sel, most theories for Scadrial involve one of the god metals being involved, no idea of how it could work on Nalthis except potentially the flowers being involved.

Nice one- flowers on Nalthis..

I heard someone say a person had to have access to magic system or investirue..But does that mean for one Demoux is some type of access to magic.. Does this also mean that Drabs cant be worldhopper since they have no investment?

Nice one- flowers on Nalthis...

When you eat the wrong flower on Nalthis, you go hop! (Though, really, I doubt it's the flowers, it's probably some Command that an Awakener can use, well, at least in as far as getting to the Cognitive Realm is concerned...)

*coughs*

Felt from Mistborn is also a possible worldhopper in WoR. Also, the Kandra worldhopper is in WoR too...

I can actually understand why people think Jasnah may be a worldhopper, but I think that if she is, she will be one in the future, if at all. She's too involved with events on Roshar to really consider going on a pleasure trip around the Cosmere, so even if she technically knows how to worldhop, I don't think she's really all that interested in doing so right now...

Edited by Nymp

When you eat the wrong flower on Nalthis, you go hop! (Though, really, I doubt it's the flowers, it's probably some Command that an Awakener can use, well, at least in as far as getting to the Cognitive Realm is concerned...)

*coughs*

Felt from Mistborn is also a possible worldhopper in WoR. Also, the Kandra worldhopper is in WoR too...

I can actually understand why people think Jasnah may be a worldhopper, but I think that if she is, she will be one in the future, if at all. She's too involved with events on Roshar to really consider going on a pleasure trip around the Cosmere, so even if she technically knows how to worldhop, I don't think she's really all that interested in doing so right now...

Its a good point about Jasnah.. but i would have probably thought the same thing about Vasher till we saw him on Roshar.. Anythings possible..

Its a good point about Jasnah.. but i would have probably thought the same thing about Vasher till we saw him on Roshar.. Anythings possible..

Nope, Warbreaker occurs quite a bit (about three hundred years or so) before SA, and Nightblood, as a direct sequel to Warbreaker also occurs quite a bit beforehand as well. Mine you, it means that SA contains spoilers for Nightblood (it means both Vasher and Nightblood survived the sequel...), but Vasher may have been a bit into worldhopping before that Warbreaker. I mean, he knows a bit about Investiture (from his conversation with Vivienne on BioChromatics) and he was already 300 years old by that time...(fun fact, he's the first characters to name-drop Investiture in book...though not necessarily the first in the time-line).

Anyway, it's just really surprising we didn't spot Vasher as a potential worldhopper before WoR was released...*shrug*

Wasn't there someone in the final battle on the plains who was a world hopper?

I could have sworn there was some hubbub a while ago that the name of a one of Strafes servants was mentioned as a soldier at the end of WoR.

I musta missed that. I will have to do some digging.

EDIT:

Well... after some digging, I can find nothing. So... no idea.

Edited by lyht

I musta missed that. I will have to do some digging.

EDIT:

Well... after some digging, I can find nothing. So... no idea.

Here's the topic where Felt the Worldhopper of House Venture was discovered (or the possible worldhopper, that is). http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7365-felt-the-worldhopper/?hl=%2Bfelt+%2Bworldhopper