Silk

Welcome to Reading Excuses

39 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Is this still a running thing? 

What do you think from looking at the latest posts? ;) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I don't know where else to ask this, but is there a thread or a way to post about overarching plots, writing excuses stuff but not actual chapters, etc.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Turin Turambar you can make your own thread or post in the lounge

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but what is the threshold for a language warning? 

I assume anything considered 'swearing' would count, but what about world specific insults or cursing? Ie nonsense words that are used as swearing. 

Also, what about derivatives like 'dang'?

 

Thanks!

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's up to you, really. Full on swears need a warning, I'd say made ups don't, neither does anything you'd hear in a grad school playground (like dang, suck, etc.).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2020 at 8:00 AM, kais said:

It's up to you, really. Full on swears need a warning, I'd say made ups don't, neither does anything you'd hear in a grad school playground (like dang, suck, etc.).

Yep, I'd say this makes sense.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I just finished re-editing my first submission, so what do I do exactly? Do I just send the next few chapters of my book without the edit ones, do I send them with the edited ones, is sending the edited ones it's own submission, what's the procedure there?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I just finished re-editing my first submission, so what do I do exactly? Do I just send the next few chapters of my book without the edit ones, do I send them with the edited ones, is sending the edited ones it's own submission, what's the procedure there?

Good question. It depends on you. 

Me? I like to sit on any revised chapters. I want people to "cold read" or be unfamiliar with the work so they won't be biased. So if I ever decide to re-submit a chapter, I'll do it at least several weeks from the first submission. Considering I have a 40 chapter book I'm slowly submitting...if I decide to submit a revised version, it will be like a year since the first time people read that chapter.

I just keep moving forward and put in the email any major changes I've made in the previous revised chapter that will affect the storyline moving forward.

I also don't personally revise a chapter until I struggle to remember what people said about it (roughly two weeks) because otherwise I revise emotionally instead of objectively. 

Other people submit their revised version the week after the original. I personally find these harder to critique because I biased from what I know from the previous submission. If you think you might get stuck revising chapter one for weeks...yup, don't do this. Just move forward. 

Sending in revised chapters either way counts towards your submission limit of 5,000 words. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

Good question. It depends on you. 

Me? I like to sit on any revised chapters. I want people to "cold read" or be unfamiliar with the work so they won't be biased. So if I ever decide to re-submit a chapter, I'll do it at least several weeks from the first submission. Considering I have a 40 chapter book I'm slowly submitting...if I decide to submit a revised version, it will be like a year since the first time people read that chapter.

I just keep moving forward and put in the email any major changes I've made in the previous revised chapter that will affect the storyline moving forward.

I also don't personally revise a chapter until I struggle to remember what people said about it (roughly two weeks) because otherwise I revise emotionally instead of objectively. 

Other people submit their revised version the week after the original. I personally find these harder to critique because I biased from what I know from the previous submission. If you think you might get stuck revising chapter one for weeks...yup, don't do this. Just move forward. 

Sending in revised chapters either way counts towards your submission limit of 5,000 words. 

Thank you!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Thank you!

My pleasure, as always!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, @Aspiring Writer, it depends on what you want from the process, but what @Snakenaps says holds true for most people, I think.

If you send a revised chapter the week after you sent the previous version it will be freshers in folks' minds, but I feel the feedback will be proportionally less valuable, because--speaking personally anyway--I'm a bit jaded with reading the same thing again seven days later. Also, that approach breaks up any flow in the reader continuing through the story at a regular pace.

I have subbed a revision the following week, but I prefer to go one chapter after another, so the reader is reading a consistent package, and a regular pace (slots permitting).

Now, if you were subbing a short story, that would be different, as you are trying to hone a smaller piece through several revisions that might be quite close together, especially if you have a submission deadline for a competition, or market submission. But ultimately, it's up to you. Sometimes, if you sub a revised piece the following week, you can get some reader who haven't got around to reading the first sub, and can go straight to the second one so you get a fresh perspective.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, it depends entirely on what you're looking for. As folks have noted, it's a pretty common experience to hit a point of diminishing returns when it comes to resubmitting editing chapters, but if there's nothing wrong with doing that if it's going to be valuable for you. If you think it's more valuable for you to get feedback on later chapters instead, do that instead. If you've made significant changes to a previous chapter that you end up not subbing, you can always mention that in your email/forum post if you think that context will be important.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.