AMOL ending questions (spoilers)

kroen

Ah, yes, good point.  But then that does beg the question, that in those timelines where the Light has failed in some way, even if it hasn't been the Last Battle yet, eventually in those worlds the Last Battle will still happen, and in those particular worlds, the Shadow will be unhindered and the Dark One completely released.

Unless we count the Last Battle that happens in Rand's timeline as being the 'pinnacle' or most important of the worlds, or as long as the Light just wins one of those Last Battles, then the Dark One still gets imprisoned throughout the entire Pattern, and then will then thus lock him away in all other, alternate worlds. Hmmm....

Also, with the thing about Ishmael boasting early on in the series that the Dragon had indeed failed in the past and turned to the Shadow, we could assume he was just lying to try and mess with Rand and them, since we know the Forsaken will basically use every trick they can to turn Rand.

I'm not really fond of the idea of parallel universes, but if you go for it then having one that is more important then the others would seem really strange to me. Because of that I always preferred to see the worlds of the portal stones(and the worlds seen in the test for Accepted) as possibilities that didn't realize themselves.

Anyway, all those possible realities still have to have some core values that are all the same, I mean they all have to have the same physical and magical laws regardless of the people in them. If the Dark One won in any world/possibility then that world would not be coherent with the others, the dark one being imprisoned is kind of a physical constant, change that and everything change.

Alternatively, you could say that if the DO freed himself in one world he could destroy all worlds and recreate them in one stroke, making the continued victory of the ight even more unlikely!

Apart from these wild speculations, a more simple theory of mine is that in order for the DO to win killing the Dragon isn't enough, he actually has to make him chose the Shadow(or bring him to annihilate reality with Balefire as Rand was close to do). my best evidence is the prophecy of the Borderlands that ordered them to kill Rand if he was still in "emo mode".

Also, think about it, if the Dragon manages to seal the DO but the Shadow's army massacre all of humanity, it would still count as a victory for the Light, the Wheel keeps turning. So another reason for the inefficiency of the Forseken and Darkfriends, is that they want to spread pain and despair, not complete death.

You just reminded me of her. that's right, who was she? do we get any explanation?

There was a WoB about her IIRC. I don't remember exactly but I think he said that he didn't know much about her either but she was somehow linked to the Creator in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Rand and the pipe and Nakomi...

I believe I read somewhere that Robert Jordan left in his notes explicit instructions that both of those "events" are to never be explained. Even if RJ was still alive, Rand and Nakomi would always have been left as a secret.

It was from BranSan directly at Jordancon this year? Last year? Im not sure exactly but I remember perfectly that those events were to never be explained.

1. What did Rand do the Dark One? Did he just imprison him again? did he imprison him permanently somehow?

2. How did Rand switch bodies with Moridin?

3. Why did Rand fake his death and ran away? Why not reveal himself to everyone?

4. Why did Rand lose his Channeling capability?

5. How did Rand lit his pipe? Was he able to weave the Pattern as he did when fighting the Dark One?

1. He was re-imprisoned, but where in the Age of Legends he was weakly imprisoned using saidin, this time, he was imprisoned with saidir, saidin and the True Power. He isn't coming back in three thousand years this time.

2. The intervention of Alivia. Min's viewing 'she will help you die'.

3. I don't think he ever wanted to be the center of the world, and he would be the center of political authority in the Fourth Age. He wants to disappear with his millions of dollars worth of gold and live his own life.

4. Not sure. Presumably burned out.

5. This is open to interpretation. My view is that Rand has influence over the real world the way that others have influence over Tel'aran'rhiod - specifically, the ability to project his will onto his local reality. He now treats the real world as others treat Tel'aran'rhiod - because he has 'woken from the dream', as the Aiel would put it.

• 1 year later...

Can somebody tell me if Darlin was still working for Rand when he joined Egwene?

I always had a theory that he and Rand worked up his reply to Egwenes letter together but it's not in the Companion? :(

I think only sanderson can answer to that. But my surmise is no. darlin was loial to rand, but he was openly working within the limits of his oath to stop him from doing something he thought was wrong.