What would you ask the Nightwatcher

Bow Tie Bandit

Can we think of a wish, that doesn't have a loophole, where the curse doesn't matter?  Like if I asked for the boon of eternal happiness - no matter what my curse was, I'd still be happy.

That's not how the Nightwatcher works, she doesn't twist your wish.  You ask her for something and she gives you whatever she wants.  From the Baxil interlude:

"If you want,” Av replied. “I figure there are better ways than the Old Magic. You never know what kind of curse you’ll end up with.”

“I could phrase my request perfectly,” Baxil said.

“Doesn’t work that way,” Av said. “It’s not a game, no matter how the stories try to put it. The Nightwatcher doesn’t trick you or twist your words. You ask a boon. She gives what she feels you deserve, then gives you a curse to go along with it. Sometimes related, sometimes not."

While Av is probably an unreliable narrator, I think that at the very least we should assume that he is right in saying that she doesn't play games with the wording of the boon.  Because most people don't go to see her except as a last resort, it makes sense that they already have a good idea of what they need, and this could easily explain why many seem to get a boon similar to what they asked for.

Me, personally, I would avoid the Nightwatcher; where gods roam, mortals are served best by treading quietly.  Even the best of them can create unimaginable swathes of damage and destruction just by being a little careless. 

Edit: Because I didn't quite make it to the end of the thread before posting, and so WeiryWriter had already posted exactly what I did.

Edited by kaellok

You become incapable of keeping any connections of any sentimental value. People don't sypathize with you, or feel any real empathy. You lose any object you feel attached to, first small things like wealth, then mementoes, then even basic things like food and clothing slip away from you if you don't seize them right away - a meal will be splattered across the ground, a shirt will be stolen after you get beat unconscious. Your injuries will heal at a normal rate, you won't age, but you will need to sleep and eat or you will grow weak with fatigue, undying and unmoving until some kindly or exploitative soul takes you in and nurses you back to health, despite the effect that tries to brush away any empathy or connection to you. If you break a bone and it heals poorly, it will stay that way. If you take a killing blow, your healing will speed until you are technically alive again - vital organs all functioning. This will occur even if you are burnt to ash - in fact this is the only way that you can heal your scars and infirmities. Drugs have no hold on you, neither poisons nor any other kind. Though you will not age, your mind will eventually cast away its earlier memories, one by one, until you literally cannot directly remember a time when you did not live in an undying hell. Your only option, eventually, is to take. Your only chance to have the pleasures of a true life is to grab and consume them before your ill luck can destroy or remove them from you. You become the wandering thing in the night, the creature mothers tell stories of to make children behave. Your mind breaks and mends itself over and over until the last time you were still unburdened and sane fades from memory. And when, eventually, some kind soul knocks you unconscious, burns you, and buries the ashes, well, you can try not to dig your way back out. It is, after all, so very comfortable in here. But you are starved of oxygen, die, and heal until a death every fifteen minutes drives you mad with the desire to escape, and you dig yourself out in bursts of frantic energy to haunt the night again.

How's that for the price of immortality?

Don't mind me, just crying in the fetal position over here.

Edited by Necromancer

That's not how the Nightwatcher works, she doesn't twist your wish.  You ask her for something and she gives you whatever she wants.  From the Baxil interlude:

True, but then it would be impossible to speculate what the Nightwatcher wants, so I think this thread was, or at least how I interpreted as a fun exercise in crazy boons and curses. 

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I'm quite sure the curse is unrelated to the request. I don't remember where I read this, but I remember one of the bridgemen (I think Lopen) mentioned his father asked for some scarves for the winter, and ended up seeing the world upside-down.

How are the two related?

The nightwatcher is just an immortal sadistic spren that enjoys giving painful boons or strange to people to make a laugh out of it, such as laughing at watching a guy who is forced to act as if he loves a wife he doesn't remember, or a man who suddenly thinks he is upsidedown all the time.

I would request to replace the nightwatcher and become the nightwatcher herself.

My boon would be eternal regret of my decision and the want to end my misery due to hate and regret, but being a spren, I cannot die.

Edited by xland44

The nightwatcher is just an immortal sadistic spren that enjoys giving painful boons or strange to people to make a laugh out of it, such as laughing at watching a guy who is forced to act as if he loves a wife he doesn't remember, or a man who suddenly thinks he is upsidedown all the time.

Actually, I believe Dalinar believes forgetting his wife is the boon, and the guy who saw things upside-down got accustomed to it.

Moreover,

WoR Spoilers (if you can really call them that):

Lift doesn't seem too adversly affected and Mr. T's curse is pretty proportionate to what he got as a boon.

As far as we have actual evidence for, the Nightwatcher doesn't seem bad, merely balanced (at least in terms of boon to curse ratio). Sort of like Rand's Ta'veren effects in WoT.

Edit: As for what I would ask (if I actually did), you can't really get better than Delightful's: :P

For unlimited no-curse-attached boons, including the first one.

Although maybe explicitely saying that the boon is given before the curse (or at least retroactively) might be appropriate.

Edited by Stormwalker

Actually, I believe Dalinar believes forgetting his wife is the boon

Actually we don't know his thoughts on the matter.  We know that he knows what his boon and his curse is, and that forgetting his wife is (probably) one of them, but we do not know which it is.

Actually we don't know his thoughts on the matter.  We know that he knows what his boon and his curse is, and that forgetting his wife is (probably) one of them, but we do not know which it is.

Really? I was sure he had explicitely said it at one point. I guess I must have completely misremembered it. :lol: I suppose its about time to reread WoK anyway.

The guy who was cursed to see the world upside down got enough cloth to feed his family through rough times (and he later reportedly said he didn't think of it as a curse after getting used to it). I don't know if I'd call the Nightwatcher sadistic if she's actually giving people what they want.

Edited by Moogle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic