Your top 5 fantasy books/series

So, tell me your all time favourite fantasy books (can be single book or series).

To start off,

1. Wheel of Time (I read the whole series at least a couple times a year haha)

2. Mistborn (Y)

3. Malazan book of the Fallen

4. Stormlight archives (By the Lord Ruler, please let him finish the series ASAP!)

5. Kingkiller Chronicles (Third book. Now.)

I suppose this could also serve as a recommendation to other people. I'd love to hear you guyses' opinions!

1. Malazan book of the fallen

2. The broken empire

3. The traitor son cycle/ kingskiller chronicle

4. The dagger and the coin

5. Stormlight archive (on the list for its potential only 2 so far out of 10 books so hard to include/ exclude, great start )

Edited by Griff

Well, my top three are:

1) The Cosmere (I consider it all one series)

2) The Belgariad/Mallorean

3) The Song of Ice and Fire

4) The Wheel of Time

But I have read the first books in "The Gentleman's Bastards", "The Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne", "The Lightbringer" and am waiting to finish those before deciding on the 5th.

1. The Dresden Files

2. The Wheel of Time

3. The Stormlight Archive

4. The Kingkiller Chronicles (Though I swear if Rothfuss doesn't finish the third book by 2015, I'll do ... something, dunno what)

5. Raven's Shadow

1) Wheel of Time
2) Stormlight
3) Demon Cycle
4) Kingkiller Chonicles
5) Mistborn

Single books I'd probably put:
1) Words of Radiance (probably because I just read it again)
2) A Memory of Light
3) Fires of Heaven
4) The Daylight War
5) The Name of the Wind

In no order:

. The Lord of the Rings
. Mistborn
. Harry Potter
. The Dwarves
. Stormlight Archive (I know it's gonna stay in my top list even after the next 8 books, let's face it.)

Single books.
The Silmarillion
The Children of Hurin

I've still got a few cosmere books to read as well. I'm currently almost halfway through Alloy of Law :)

Shoo! Thanks Erai for mentioning Lord of the Rings!  I was getting worried!  (Still need to read Children of Hurin, but at least I've read the Silmarillion multiple times!)

I'm going to leave any Sanderson books out of my list because they're kind of givens.  This is REALLY tough.  I'm hereby extending my list to number ten.

1) Lord of the Rings

2) Chronicles of Narnia

3) Dresden Files

4) Kingkiller Chronicles

5) Raven's Shadow

6) Harry Potter (I have such a soft spot for this series)

7) The Dark Lord of Derkholm & sequel, Year of the Griffin

8) The Dalemark Quartet

9) Chrestomanci

10) The Prydain Chronicles

Lots of YA fantasy on that list, but I guarantee you it's the good kind. :)

Honorable Mention: The Belgariad/Mallorean

That is like asking parent which child he loves most.  If some one put a gun to my head and force me to make selection I guess it would be something like this:

1. A Song of Ice and Fire (gritty ... brutal ... so metal \m/)
2. The Lord of the Rings (how could anyone who claims to like fantasy genre exclude it from a list like this?)

3. Stormlight Archive (there is a lot to come but this world just clicked with me, all the tropes I love ... and few I love to hate which as good)

4. Wheel of Time (Yes it is slow but that gives it character! And size does matter ... in regard to book sizes that is)

5. Powder Mage ( I don't how this got on my list, it is not that good but novelty of gunpowder fantasy just makes me all warm inside, need more of this)

Depends how much cadmium you feel like burning, given that man's writing speed ;)

This is why I love Brandon for the speed he releases new books, but it makes me so storming impatient with other authors. I want MOAR BOOKS!!!!!

Lord of the Rings

Malazan Book of the Fallen

A Song of Ice and Fire

Stormlight Archives

Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn / Gemmell's Drenai novels (actually, anything by Gemmell, but Drenai is closest to a series) / Bernard Cornwell, Warlord trilogy / Janny Wurts, War of Light and Shadow / Lois McMaster Bujold, Curse of Chalion and sequels (and storms, write those remaining two books already), Kurtz's Deryni series.

Yes, I know I'm cheating. :)

Old friends that have aged a bit. Feist, Riftwar (the first 4-6 books, the quality detoriated later) Eddings' Elenium and Tamul trilogies.

And then there's Jacqueline Carey's naughty Phèdre series I probably shouldn't mention here. ;) Not among the first - cheated - five, but I like the books. Mistborn, Brent Weeks' Black Prism, McClellan's Powder Mage stuff and Mark Charan Newton's Viljamur books belong in this group as well.

For dark moods: Abercrombie, First Law / Brian Ruckley, Godless World / Paul Kearney, Monachies of Gods. They are interesting and I'm going to reread them, but they are not books to lose myself in.

I wonder where Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series will end up. I read the first two and got the rest on my TBR pile since I wanted to wait for the series to be finished. Got enough unfinished ones as it is.

Edited by Gabriele

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1. Stormlight Archive

2. Mistborn

3. The Wheel of Time

4. Discworld

5. Lord of the Rings

Kingkiller Chronicles loses to LotR so Prince of Ravens doesn't kill me and because of Ferulian.  I haven't read very many Discworld yet, so it could go higher since there's so many.  Lightbringer could be a candidate, but I've only read the first one.

1. Stormlight Archives
  2. A Song of Ice and Fire
  3. Wheel of Time
  4. Shannara (wow no one's mentioned these yet?)
  5. Inheritance Cycle

kidding

5.  Lord of the Rings

I still haven't read many of the Discworld novels so they hover at around 8 right now. The Chronicles of Narnia are up in the ranks too

1. Cosmere (I'm cheating)

2. Belgariad/Mallorean, by David Eddings.

3. Sword Series (I forget what its actual name is... It goes Sword-Born, Sword-Sworn, Sword-Breaker, etc. I just call them the Sword novels), by Jennifer Roberson

4. Wheel of Time

5. PJATO/Heroes of Olympus, by Rick Riordan

-

Honorable mentions: the Fablehaven and Beyonders series by Brandon Mull, Harry Potter, and the Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright. I'll bite.

The first three on my list I consider to be the most powerful works of fantasy ever written, bar none. This is likely because these author's don't write fantasy, they are in the business of constructing myth, which is a far more powerful mode of communication.

1- The Lord of the Rings. The premier example of mythmaking in the modern world. Need I say more?

2 - The Riddle-Master of Hed; Heir of Sea and Fire; Harpist in the Wind - by Patricia A. McKillip. Seriously one of the most brilliant series I have ever read. Rakes your emotions over the coals (in a good way) and then makes you feel good at the end.

3 - A Wizard of Earthsea - by Ursula K. LeGuin. The rest of her series isn't of the same quality, but this book. I just can't say enough about it. Again, the construction of useable myth as opposed to a fantasy story.

Now we get to my second tier series/authors, the ones who write high or epic fantasy. Since I've only got 2 slots left, I'll fill them with:

4 - Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson

5 - Kingkiller Chronicle - Patrick Rothfuss

Honorable Mentions - The Wheel of Time; The High House