Long Game 6: Daes Dae'Mar, The Great Game

I honestly suspect much more whoever voted for them. Electing a Mayor seems like a good way to elicit (unnecessary) suspicion. Not to say they couldn't be Darkfriends, just the fact they got voted into it doesn't seems too much strong an indication, IMO. The people voting though, yes. especially the one who started the votes. But I also believe having a Mayor can reveal more information, so I voted for Wilson because she made sensible suggestions regarding Mayor handling.

I do have one thing I'd point out, the Mayor actually should cast a vote, because if they ever are revealed a Darkfriend it could give some information, and I would strongly suspect any Mayor not willing to point a successor.

I do have one thing I'd point out, the Mayor actually should cast a vote, because if they ever are revealed a Darkfriend it could give some information, and I would strongly suspect any Mayor not willing to point a successor.

That's a valid point. I mostly just don't want any chance of it falling into the Darkfriend's hands and then being passed around there for a while. Because I'm almost positive a Darkfriend will be elected eventually. There's not much we can do about that. But if we can get something in place to prevent it staying with the Darkfriends before even electing the first mayor, then that'll be good.

Granted, if that did happen (the role got passed around to Darkfriends), when one of those who were Mayor died, it would throw suspicion on everyone who had it after them. Which could end up killing most of them. So, from that side of things, it's not entirely strategic to do. Unless they were to pass it to someone innocent who they can manipulate.....

Honestly, I don't even know at this point. I feel like I'm talking in circles, although that could just be the headache (my head literally feels like it's going to explode so if some of this post is nonsensical, I blame that...). Yeah, so...I'm good with anything. Mayor abstaining, mayor voting, either one. Probably best if we pick one and run with it though.

And now I'm going to go wish I could amputate my head....or something.

Sorry, lost power last night due to a tornado, and then haven't had much chance to be at the computer today for related reasons. I'm working on an in-character post, though, and should have that up as soon as I can.

Hiding in the shadows has been a very effective method for the evil teams to avoid suspicion in previous games. I'd like to force everyone to participate openly at least a little each cycle so I will be voting for non active players until strong evidence against a particular player turns up. Since Ralv has not deemed it necessary to respond to my call out in the very first post of the game, that's where my vote will be this cycle until I get a response.

Edit: name misspelled.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

I haven't posted as I am completely unable to come up with an opening rp.

As for any suspicions I have this early.  I always find it suspicious that players want to lynch on the first day but also advocate for players with killing roles not to use them on the first night.  If lynching someone gives us information, then why wouldn't killing another at night not give us some more info.  Also the odds of hitting an evil player at night is the same if not better than the day lynch.  All in all I find that pushing for a lynch on day one is far more suspicious than not posting at all.

The difference is that the actual lynching isn't the goal on the first day (at least for me it isn't). The goal is to get people talking, arguing, and defending themselves. That way we have baseline motivations and actions to track patterns and inconsistencies with later on. If there isn't the threat of actually being lynched then there is no incentive for people to post. Yes, it might unfortunately result in a villager death but it's worth the risk to get people actually playing the game openly.

The wolfbrother kill on the other hand does not encourage any debate and does not provide any additional information other than the identity of the dead player. Since it has the possibility of removing our viewer/channeler/wisdom which would be bad for us, it should not be used willy nilly. That kill should only happen if someone has a very strong hunch about a possible DF and for strategic reasons does not want to announce those suspicions in the main thread.

Edit: forgot to add that now that Ralv has posted, I will switch attention to Jim Bob Dirt.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Witless watched the town from a perch in the tree at the edge of the woods. He studied each of the villagers, wondering what secrets they were hiding from everyone else. Clearly some of them were hiding pretty big secrets. Darkfriends in Drell’s Crossing. Light. What is this world coming to?

The only good news he’d had that day was from his snares. It was a good thing he’d checked them, since two of them had a caught squirrels. Only one each, but that was more than he’d had since he’d raided a small part of Bunnt’s farm in the dead of night. Witless still wasn’t sure if the farmer had noticed the missing part of his crop, but Witless had been careful to avoid the man, just in case. Still, now he was full on meat, which was a lot more filling than a few measly little carrots. Why he’d thought raiding a farm for food weeks before harvest time was a good idea, Witless didn’t know.

He’d eaten a few hours before, though, and since then, he’d been up in the tree, watching the town, focused on the villagers milling around in the road and coming in and out of the Spruce Thicket. He’d seen a few of them doing things that could be considered suspicious, but he wasn’t sure if he was just jumping at shadows, acting the Whitecloak, and seeing Darkfriends where there were none.

A figure stumbled out of the inn, and Witless’ eyes narrowed. He perked up on his branch, and wondered if he might’ve finally seen something worthwhile.

So, I had a suspicion earlier this morning about a player, but since I was at work, I didn’t want to devote the time then to search it out more. But now I’m off work and I can take all the time I need. Through some searches I found something suspicious.

Grey. In Game 5, he was absolutely against lynching someone day one. The lynch that occurred that day killed one of the only Team Good roles--one of the artifabrians. That’s pretty unfortunate, and what I would learn from that is more caution. Yes, we can learn a lot from lynching people. But that information is gathered from the discussion that takes place, not the actual lynch itself, unless there are vote manipulation roles (which there are none of in this game).

Is Grey being cautious, though? No. He’s advocating lynching. Here’s the post I find most incriminating:

I'm going to have to agree with Awesomeness here on lynching today. In these games, information is everything. The most conclusive information gained is through lynchings. Much of the information possibly gained is useless if no one is lynched. in addition, in this game, we have 25 players. The usual percentage of Eliminators is 20%, plus we have Padan Fain. Ergo, the chance of someone you vote for being an enemy is 1 in 4. That is actually a pretty good chance. Also, assuming Fain is active and Corrupts one player every night, the chances of getting an enemy increase significantly with every day. Yes, it sucks for the person lynched on the first day. But it is necessary. If you want to win, we need to lynch.

(emphasis mine)

Take note of the bold. That emphasis is what I want to address, since it is utterly false. Like I said, it’s not the lynch that gets us information. It’s the discussion. Even using Game 5, these statements don’t make sense. Only one GB voted for Tors, and no real information was gathered from that lynch, except that the GB had a reverser. In fact, very few GB’s were lynched that game. To my knowledge, only one was, and that was a lucky hit. The Nobles didn’t win that game because of lynchings. So the last statement is also false. As for what’s in the middle. Those are valid points. But they’re exactly the type of things Team Evil would put in there to back up their arguments. I know. I’ve done it. Many times. So while those stats are pretty good, it doesn’t really mean much to me.

And this brings me to my last point. Just before the game officially started, Joe said in a post that he was going to advocate a day one lynch. The timestamp was 6:20 MDT. I’m not sure when exactly the roles were sent, but I received mine at 6:30, and I’m pretty sure I was one of the first (which would make sense if they were sent in the order we all signed up). At 6:56, Grey responded to Joe’s post, saying that he also was all for the day one lynch. This could be an innocent post from a player who just wants to mix things up and try something different from the previous game. Or it could be someone who just got his role telling him he was the Darkfriend or the Forsaken, and noticed a perfect way to cover himself and make it look like his push for a first day lynch isn’t anything to worry about. Coupled with everything else, I’m inclined to say it’s the latter.

So. Grimlar al'Pil. Would you like to defend yourself?

Yeah, I agree with what wilson has said.

I understand that we’re trying to threaten to lynch people to get information and suspicions here, but I don’t entirely approve of this tactic.  For one thing, you have to understand that not everyone in this game is going to spend a great deal of time playing it.  And even those who do play this game a lot aren’t always going to be able to reply to your accusations.  I, for one, feel that I am at a disadvantage in this game, as I am unable to respond to anything close to the rollover time (since I’m asleep), which tends to be the most critical time periods of the game.  I understand that you all wish to get information, and that’s fine, but I wouldn’t suggest lynching people for it, unless you are absolutely sure that they are playing the game at the time.  (I’m not talking about anyone in particular here; just in general.)

As I've tried to say before (and have been incriminated against for doing so), we do need to encourage discussion in here.  I'm just not sure that threatening people with lynches is the most efficient and fair way to do it.

Edited by Renegade

Small towns were the worst venues. 

Many thought differently. The man she'd apprenticed to, many years ago now, had insisted that small towns and villages were the bread and butter of the gleeman's trade. 'Smaller communities do be craving entertainment, girl. They may no pay as well in coin, but will give you all you do need in exchange for a few nights of simple entertainment.' There was definite truth in that, Khamsi knew. Just last night she had gotten a free room and a hot meal for a few songs and stories that had the entire inn - as packed as the village could manage - dancing and laughing and spreading coin as they demanded more and more.

No, it wasn't because they paid poorly that Khamsi privately disliked small towns. It was the type of entertainment they wanted. Songs they all knew the words to, but never requesting anything that required any skill to play - or Light forbid, something original. The classic stories everyone knew but only a gleeman could truly tell - but always in Common, rarely in Plain Chant, and never in High (the way tales were meant to be told). Simple feats of juggling and tumbling.

Her act last night had been the exact same, note-for-note and word-for-word and tumble-for-tumble, as she had done in the past six identical villages she'd visited.

It was getting dull.

Khamsi awoke at a proper hour - well past noon - and dressed slowly, humming a small, wordless tune to herself. She had the best room at the inn, with a large feather mattress, a small desk, and dressing table with a built in mirror that was fit for a minor noblewoman.

A minor, Murandian noblewoman, but beggars could not be choosers. 

Sitting down in the small stool, Khamsi examined her face for a moment, smiling at the soft curves and planes that greeted her eye. With practiced ease, she set down her paints and began applying subtle color to her eyes, cheeks, and lips. Her mother and aunts had taught her well, although she knew they never expected her to use the knowledge in this line of work. She was supposed to have become a merchant, leveraging her beauty and allure to bewilder men for greater profit, and make them happy to lose the coin. She had been well on that path, learning all the tools and tricks of the trade.

Until a tall Illianer with a twinkle in his eye and a cloak of colored patches sauntered into a party at her aunt's and suddenly commanded the room. She had been entranced by his every word and every movement. The way he held the attention of everyone present.  Her aunts were amateurs next to this man - his ability affected everyone, regardless of sex.

She'd spent hours talking to him that night after he was finished. And the next morning, when she had rode out of Bandar Eban after him.

Eyeing herself in the mirror, Khamsi nodded and flashed a smile that could - and had - stop men in their tracks. Satisfied, she slipped on her cloak and, giving it a flourish just for herself. She checked that all her props and tools were in place, then left her room and the inn, stepping into the town for an afternoon of wandering and mingling.

That had been the plan, at least. "I see," Khamsi said, pausing to wet her lips as she took in the throngs of shouting and glaring at each other people, "that the day has not been as idle as I have..." She watched all of this for a moment, then turned toward a random villager. She flashed a bright smile as she spoke, "Excuse me, but could you tell me what's going on? Is there a reason that horse is wearing a mayor's sash?"

Khamsi doesn't know what's going on. Khamsi, for now, votes no one for anything. The Random person Khamsi asked for information can be anyone - first person who wants to be the random villager gets to be the random villager, and explain everything, and possibly influence Khamsi's vote. xD

Malai had sat in the back most of the day after her first accusation. She had left occasionally to check on her horses and feed them and whatnot, and when she was at the town hall, she was discussing in quiet mutters.

She didn't know who was suspicious enough to be a Darkfriend. At first, she thought it was Dellan. Then others spoke up and she rethought. Dellan was suspicious but Grimlar too was changing his mind from his past feelings. Malai didn't know who to lynch. Leas Fel also seemed like someone she should watch. For now, Malai would keep on Dellan.

There is about 5 Hours left in the Day Cycle.

If my tallies are correct there Votes stand at:
Lynch:

Dellan (1) - Mailai
Lam (1) - Newan
Gade (1)-  Leas Fel
Bob Dirt (1) - Waes
Grimlar - (1) Witless

Mayor:

Witless (5) - Malai, Kaim, Joel, Leas Fel, Jae
Weas (2) - Rishi, Newan, Nath
Sprell (1) - Sprell
Bela (1) - Ashiok

Edit: Fixed. Apologies, thanks for the heads-up. I'll make sure I count more closely when the cycle actually ends.
And Joel is correct below, Dragon Fangs get scrawled on doors at the end of the Night Cycle, affecting the vote the following Day.

Edited by Gamma Fiend
Fixed List, Dragon Fang clarification

Mayor:

Witless (6) - Malai, Kaim, Nath, Joel, Leas Fel, Jae

Weas (2) - Rishi, Newan

Sprell (1) - Sprell

Bela (1) - Ashiok

Didn't Nath vote for Weas?

Nath didn't go to see the body. He had heard the descriptions from those who had already gone to see it and those were horrible enough. So instead Nath went to the inn, Spruce Thicket, to get a drink.

At the inn Nath learned about a Seanchan that was running around accusing anyone he could find of being the mayor's murderer. "Crazy Seanchan," Nath thought. "He probably thinks we are all Raken that need to be controlled." Nath just shook his head and went back to his drink.

Along with that I'm going to vote Waes for town mayor.

Wilson makes a good argument for Grimlah; he did indeed argue for not killing everyone in game 5:

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7960-game-5-noble-secrets/?p=136434

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7960-game-5-noble-secrets/?p=136835

The stark change of character is suspicious. I'll hold back my vote though, seeing as the deadline is close and there's a good chance he won't be around to defend himself.

edit: I swear, things are blue in the editor then black when I post.

Edited by twelfthrootoftwo

So, as things stand, no one is going to be lynched today which is fine. We had more than enough discussions for the first day. The DF's could still get someone lynched with the dragons fang though if we aren't careful. We could all agree to retract our votes to prevent that but I worry not everyone with a vote will make it online before the deadline so a better approach is to have everyone (all regular villagers) PM Gamma to have the dragon fang placed on the door of someone who has not received any lynch votes. My random choice (eyes closed pointing a finger at the player list) is Trimat. As long as 3-4 regular villagers place the dragon fang on Trimat's door, the DF shouldn't be able to force a lynch.

To be completely honest Joe, I really didn't have any intentions of running for the position of mayor. Obviously, I'd do the best I could to assist the village if given the title but I'm not going to tout my own horn to get elected. You have enough experience playing with me to know if I'm good enough at the game to do the job justice (though I can understand why you'd have more fondness for your experiences with Wilson ;)). 

Edit: Color

Joe, I'm not about to get into some debate about why I should be mayor more than Wes or why I shouldn't at all. In the end, it's what you guys want, and I'll do the best I can with it if I'm elected. But I'm not about to hold it for more than just tomorrow. I really think it's best to keep it rotating. And probably even better if the current mayor abstains from the election of the next mayor (because if it does fall into the hands of the DF or Fain, we don't want it to stay there, and they would know who their teammates are).

That's pretty much what I wanted. I just wanted to see if one of you WOULD try to get more votes.

So, as things stand, no one is going to be lynched today which is fine. We had more than enough discussions for the first day. The DF's could still get someone lynched with the dragons fang though if we aren't careful. We could all agree to retract our votes to prevent that but I worry not everyone with a vote will make it online before the deadline so a better approach is to have everyone (all regular villagers) PM Gamma to have the dragon fang placed on the door of someone who has not received any lynch votes. My random choice (eyes closed pointing a finger at the player list) is Trimat. As long as 3-4 regular villagers place the dragon fang on Trimat's door, the DF shouldn't be able to force a lynch.

That's not how it works. Dragon fangs get placed during the Night. Not the day.

Whoo, I've caught up. I've had a busy day today, haven't been able to get on much.

So right now it's looking like we'll have a witless mayor.

Unless there's a massive switch-up it's looking like my vote isn't really going to affect things much. I would vote Witless solely for the humor of the name, though. :P

The lynch-vote deadlock is interesting, too. I'm curious to see if there's going to be any upsets in the last few hours of the day.

Edited by Kal Dell

I do however like Wilson’s suggestion of switching the Mayor role around often enough that it has some use without becoming a Kill-magnet. That increases the chances of it coming to a Darkfriend or a Corrupted, but it also limits the damage that would be done if one were to be elected. As such, I think I’ll be voting Wilson for Mayor.

Just keep in mind Gamma's clarification. The mayor's double vote only comes into effect if we don't change mayors on that day cycle. To get the double vote, the new mayor has to survive one night of targeting. And on the second night (after their first double vote has been utilized), they are again subject to a round of targeting. And dead or not, there is no double vote while the office is being swapped.

In short, don't expect the mayor to be much of a functional power until a trusted group forms. On the plus side, it shouldn't be too hard to mess with a Darkfriend or Corrupted mayor if discovered, since a new election will either cancel their extra vote or provide information on who tried to keep them in office.

While no one wants to be the first one out of the game, vanilla villagers cannot just sit back and do nothing because they don't want to hurt feelings. Fain and the dark friends are not going to sit idle. Yes there is a chance that we kill one of the good guys, and yes voting for the kill this early on will probably make me a target, but if we do nothing we hurt ourselves even more. 

My vote is for Gade because he jumped to the defense of Malai when Newan was shaking things up (maybe he is just a good guy), and then backtracked and tried to join the popular crowed when confronted about it.