Gamma Fiend

Long Game 6: Daes Dae'Mar, The Great Game

504 posts in this topic

Well I went with my gut.

I shouldn't trust my gut.

Edited by Kal Dell

I'm Back! Wow. that whole Wounded Gazelle Gambit quip, that was just a little reminder to be careful. I actually believe that Waes is good. I'll back his Idea. (I just sent you a PM Waes)

Also Gamma, in the list of players in the OP, why are some of the names black?

Kal Dell, your gut is a darkfriend.  You should probably put the Dragon's Fang on your gut.  

edit:color

Edited by New One

Everything that can possibly go wrong is going wrong in this town. If not for the fact that there are rumors of Trollocs in the outskirts of the village, Rishi is inclined to just bundle up her little brothers and go to another place to live - some place where they don't kill off villagers at random. And although she is tough as nails, she feels a frisson of fear now on the thought of walking back home.

The day was busy. Reopening the inn took a lot of effort. Whoever knew that one day of being left untended can make an inn so messy and vandalized? Or that someone would have the nerve to rob the dead man's inn when he wasn't even cold in his grave? Even the stores of potatoes were not left untouched!

The gleewoman was a joy to work with and she can only hope that their working relationship would progress to the point of trust. Unfortunately, she was not from around here, and though well-meaning, the beautiful Domani looked like she had a lot of secrets and a past she would rather hide. After all, she was the first gleewoman this town has ever seen. Rishi thought that the woman's profession was odd, but admired her for her spunk.

As she cleaned up the mugs and plates of villagers who went to the common room to get a measure of what's happening, she couldn't help but feel sad that in a matter of a few days, the village has transformed into a place of suspicion, lies and false speculation. Being a tavern maid, she heard all sorts of theories about who did what, and who could possibly be doing the murders. Surreptitious looks exchanged over mugs of ale were usual now, and though they still humored with her and teased her when she served food, she can't help but notice that the smiles were tight and the laughter forced. She just shook her head as she tidied up. 

One last thing to do, which is to bring Waes, the wounded cobbler, some dinner. Then she's off for home, and the thought of walking back in the cold night brought goosebumps on her skin.

---

Kal Dell, your gut is a darkfriend.  You should probably put the Dragon's Fang on your gut.  

This is a notable quotable. Kal Dell, you should put "My gut is a darkfriend." in your sig. 

My alarm went off 15 minutes before Day 2 ended and I wasn't able to vote yesterday, not that it would've made much of a difference. 

Upvote to Awes for the clearly written defense. Besides coordination does not have to be done in a single PM, and only with Awes. It can be small groups and meetings in dark alleys and corners (who said these places are only for DF's?). I believe he is who he says he is.

My... my gut is a darkfriend?!

-

Prep the OR, gentlemen. This gut is getting purged.

EDIT: New addition to the signature.

Edited by Kal Dell

I am still skeptical of everyone sending their Roles to Waes. I think I still would corrupt Waes if I were PF. You may want to call me an idiot or something, but here is my motivation.

Lets say Waes gets to almost everyone's roles, that is an inverted list of everyone likely without roles. That is why the earlier plan of every vanilla player reporting was abandoned. This information is too valuable for Fain.

But also, if Waes gets information from a Viewer, and other roles, he would have additional information that is valuable to Fain and the corrupted. So, if Waes is found out. It does not matter that much, the information he posses would be valuable enough. And I for one do not doubt Waes capable of continuing in the same track as he currently is. 

This would also bind up our Viewer(s) to repeatedly scan one person for betrayal instead of continuing to scan other people.

I'm not saying this is what PF will do, but I caution against this since this is what I would have done in his place.

I'm not saying that Waes isn't good, I just say that I'm wary of making him a target of PF.

Edit: Blue.

Edited by Binnut

Lets say Waes gets to almost everyone's roles, that is an inverted list of everyone likely without roles. That is why the earlier plan of every vanilla player reporting was abandoned. This information is too valuable for Fain.

From what I can tell, that ship has likely sadly already sailed. I would be extremely surprised if Fain does not have a pretty decent list of the regular villagers since they have been much less reluctant to share that information amongst themselves than the people with roles have been.

But also, if Waes gets information from a Viewer, and other roles, he would have additional information that is valuable to Fain and the corrupted. So, if Waes is found out. It does not matter that much, the information he posses would be valuable enough. And I for one do not doubt Waes capable of continuing in the same track as he currently is.

The argument isn't on whether or not I would have valuable information for Fain. The question is if that information is valuable enough to waste one of his corruptions on someone that would like die as a result. Fain and the corrupted can't make night kills. All they can do is influence the vote to eliminate the other sides. He needs to ensure those he corrupts stay alive. You can believe whatever you want, but I don't believe I would survive very long corrupted. The benefits to corrupting me do not outweigh the risk of losing one of his number.

This would also bind up our Viewer(s) to repeatedly scan one person for betrayal instead of continuing to scan other people.

And how is that any different than what I said about the uncertainty of the viewer? The Viewer would have to rescan everyone of their confirmed members every time Fain struck as well if they wanted to be sure everyone is clean. If the viewer themselves was struck, we'd never know.

This gets to the heart of this whole issue. Fain is by far the less dangerous of the two evils since he can't make night kills and the corrupted cannot have roles of their own. We are allowing our paranoia of a smaller threat to cripple our ability to make a concerted effort to identify and eliminate the real threat.

Edit: formatting

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Ok, I get it.

I am mostly convinced. But it does make me a little uneasy because of the possibility.

I'm inclined to believe Kaim's witness for Weas's playstyle

Whether or not Jim Bob Dirt was a darkfriend, we can probably anticipate some darkfriends to have voted for him, possibly towards the middle of it. They probably also participated in the vote for Jain, but frankly Jain was behaving fairly suspiciously at that point.

I'm aware that I'm likely under a good deal of suspicion due to my absence, which is fair. If I'd known how crazy everything was going to get, I probably wouldn't have signed up to a game I couldn't commit to. For what it's worth though, I'm usually pretty quiet the first few days.

There seem to be quite a few newer people this round, which is keeping things interesting.

Hey look at this picture of Bela I found:

Bq1FJ0sCEAI6UPW.jpg

Just a heads up, at the time of this post, there is about 16 hours left in this Cycle! (Unless all orders get sent in before then)

Okay. I don't normally post in the thread during the night, since comments in the thread can change strategy for Team Evil, but this is somewhat important. I know there's only a few hours left in the night, and if a lot of you don't see this until the night is over, that's okay.

As you know, Wes asked for people with roles to contact him. There are some of you who are understandably hesitant to do so, since putting all of that information in one place makes Wes a prime target for conversion (assuming Fain ignores Wes' comments about how corrupting him is ill-advised). I have a counter-proposal for you. Since we need to start coordinating our efforts in order to weed out the Darkfriends, the Forsaken, and Fain, we do need your roles. However, how about you choose who you trust with that information? Our group consists of me, Kaim, Waes, Erik, Leas Fel, and Khamsi.

Whoever you go to with your role will keep your identity completely secret from everyone else. Then we will coordinate according to the roles who have contacted us and your contact with the group will let you know the plan. This way, no one person has all of the information, you don't have to trust someone you don't want to, and yet we'll still be able to coordinate. Not only that, but if Fain wants to try to convert someone with the info, he's got a bunch of options--too many for how many conversions he likely has (since I'm betting he's probably only got 4 or 5). Also, if it turns out one of us isn't who we say we are, that person still won't have a lot of information (namely, identities) that would prove detrimental in the hands of an enemy.

If you haven't already contacted one of the above, please do so. I don't care who, but it's important that we get a plan. We can't afford to keep killing our roles by accident, and if we know (or rather, one of us knows) who you are, we can keep that from happening.

Night 2 is Officially Over! Write-up coming shortly! (It'll be a good one!)

Wow, that was a massive writeup! Good work Gamma!

Two DF/Forsaken kills on Regular Villagers, Friendly kill on Village Wisdom, and a Channeller kill on Padan Fain!

The friendly fire is a bad one, but Jim was inactive, it doe actually not matter that much. Depends if he would have come back later.

Nice work whoever killed Padan Fain! It must have taken a lot of analysis to find and kill him, or luck I guess!

We were quite lucky on the DF kills, just two vanilla villagers.

Wilson: That tactic felt a lot better to me, since it did not depend only on one person. And I think I actually had a point, since Fain really tried to get in with the information. Well, no matter, he is dead now so it is no longer a worry.

Edited by Binnut

Waes stood over the burned body deep in thought. He had liked Kaim, thought they were friends. He even thought they had been working towards the same goal and, perhaps, in a way they had been but Waes saw that living fog with his own eyes. He had no idea what it was but he knew without question it was evil and had been been moving around Kaim like it was an extension of his very soul. Whatever evil had been inside Kaim was dead now but Waes couldn't help but feel overwhelmed again. He thought things were starting to look up with the villagers now focussing on a common goal but learning there had been a snake in their midst left him shaken.

It was times like these he wished his cousin Androl were around. He'd know what to do. He would probably even know what that fog had been. Waes and Androl had always been two sides of the same coin. Both had a strange love for leather and a burning need to be working with their hands whenever possible but where Waes usually enjoyed a quiet existence working his shop in a small village, Androl loved adventure. Androl rarely managed to visit Dell's Crossing but when he came by he always had the most interesting stories about the places he been and the things he had seen. It was nearly enough to convince Waes to set out on an adventure himself sometime. Almost.

Now it seemed that adventure had come right to Waes' doorstep without him even asking for it. when all was said and done, he thought his story might top anything Androl had in his repertoire. That is, if he lived to tell his cousin about it.

A sudden noise from behind brought Waes out of his musings and sent him sprawling into a defensive posture ready for an attack. When he got ahold of his bearings though he realized there was nothing sneaking up on him. Instead, he traced the sound back to yet another rat scurrying through a nearby trash heap.

Those things are starting to become a real problem. He had heard people say rats and ravens were the Dark Ones eyes but he always thought it silly superstitions. With all the recent craziness, especially what he had just seen with Kaim, his certainty was waning. 

He gave the rat a piercing look. It stared right back unfazed. Before Waes could make a move towards it though, the rat shot off the refuse and through a hole in the side of the closest building. Another time then. Waes would deal with the eyes and ears of the Dark One when he had the time but for now he needed to get to the morning gathering and see how successful their plans for that evening had been.

So now the score is one enemy down, and five villagers lost. We have nineteen players still in the game and best guess is four or five more enemies.

I would like to remind people that Wilson's plan is still operational. That Fain had been among us was not too surprising, and even with his removal, identities will still be concealed to minimize the impact of a darkfriend incursion.

The planning team is Witless, Leas, Khamsi, Weas, and myself. If you have a role, please get in contact with one of us. If you are a regular villager who wants to participate, you are also welcome to contact one of us with your role as well. The more people participating, the merrier.

Just a random thought Erik but if you want people to be a little more trusting of you, you might want to change your icon for the time being. No matter how helpful your words are, I have troubles ignoring the brooding face peering out at me from beneath a dark hood.  ^_^  

Agreed. It IS pretty creepy

Excellent write up, Gamma! Best yet! Unfortunately, it bodes not well for us...

If anyone was wondering, the message hidden by the Dreamwalker appears to read: "Night holds death. Fear the horse. Dawn returns hope." The numbers are in Taravangian's code, and the words between the verses are in the Old Tongue. I was able to glean all of those words, and that arrangement seems to make the most sense, given the context. Also, in case you missed it, the italicized letters spell "Trust the watcher".

So overall, a very foreboding night.

So now I am fairly well convinced Jain was the Dreamwalker who said there was only one and that she was a villager, unless the remaining one decided to take up the format Jain used Night 1. Which would be tricky. Either way, I believe there is no guarantee our Dreamwalker is good or bad. Clearly, he/she has it out for Bela, so there is a place to start. That really doesn't help much, though.

Dang, it Grimlar. That's my job. :P granted, I couldn't figure out the old tongue stuff yet, but still. :P

Edit: Didn't read carefully.

I'm somewhat inclined to be suspicious of this Dreamwalker, given that Jain was a villager. Of course, they probably assume that.

I'll agree that Jain was likely the first dreamwalker message

Edited by Sphinx

Don't give me too much credit; I couldn't have told you the definition of the Old Tongue words off the top of my head. A quick Google search found this, from which I was able to glean the definitions of the words. Edited by GreyPilgrim

Wow. It looks like I made way too much work for myself. If you want to try to check my deciphering, use Sphinx's link, not mine. It will save you a few minutes.