POV's for Introduction in next 3 Books

Patrick Star

So, with the first chapter of Stones Unhallowed/Skybreaker out in the open, I began thinking about what the point of view will be for the intro in the next 3 books.

As was the case with The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, the intros for at least the next 3 books will likely be different points of view on the night of Gavilar's assassination.

So far, we've had Szeth and Jasnah.  But who's next?

For book 3, I expect Nalan or Kalak (or possibly Elhokar) to be the POV, with Nalan being the most likely.  This is Szeth's book, and he will spend it traveling with Nalan from the frostlands to Shinovar.   With this being the case, having Nalan as the point of view will fit the theme of the book and provide more information about the night of the assassination and would also give more insight into the conditions of the various heralds.

For book 4, I think either an Alethi official (likely Amaram, Sadeas, or Restares) or a Parshendi (probably one of the 5 members of their council, maybe Eshonai) will be the focus.  This will provide a more (but not completely) detailed account of what exactly Gavilar was planning, and hopefully explain what exactly he did that caused the Parshendi to assassinate him.

And in book 5, I'm just going to say that Gavilar will be the point of view.  Just as this arc is wrapping up, we will see the full extent of his plans and gain clues as to the long-term consequences of those plans.  Also, we will finally be able to fully understand (and judge) his character after being in his head.

So, what do you guys think?  Who's next?

Galivar is a no-brainer for book 5, as it is Dalinar's book.

I had not thought about a Parshendi for book 4, but if that book remains focused on Eshonai as planned, that makes sense.

I am less sure about the next book. A herald POV is potentially too spoiler for this early in the series.

Hmm.

I suspect we'll see Eshonai's POV in book 4 and Galivar's in book 5.

But book 3. Hmm. Elhokar and Dalinar didn't seem to be doing anything too interesting until afterwards. How about Amaram or Taravangian?

Renaran's or Adolin's POV could be interesting too, to give a quite different perspective.

I, too, think that having a Herald as a POV for this scene in book 3 is a bit unlikely.  Just a gut feeling.  I like the thought of having Sadeas as the POV character.  He was integral in trying to protect Gavilar (unlike Dalinar, who was wasted).  Would like to see how that panned out for him and how he perceived the words that Gavilar left.

Too early for that I think...

Best suggestion I've seen so far in Navani. Sadeas suggestion would be interesting too... though ironic.

Is it too early? It's Szeth's book, and he's already going to be following around a Herald, who will be "training" him. It would be interesting to see how Nalan views Szeth as he moves to assassinate Gavilar, since Nalan watched him do it. Prologues 1 & 2 share characters. Jasnah sees Szeth, so it would make sense for Prologue 3 to have someone view Jasnah. Neither Navani or Sadeas saw her. But we could go to Nalan and there would be a sort of chain.

I may be seeing patterns where none exist though. It's difficult to figure these things out with only 2 examples to extrapolate from.

Edited by Moogle

If Eshonai gets to be one of the prologue viewpoints, I really don't think it is going to be book 4, since that is already her flashback book, I think the most likely is book 3.  I think it's going to be Eshonai, Elhokar, and then Gavilar.

My bet is on

3.Eshonai

4.Amaram

5.Elhokar/Navani

Eshonai - for obvious reason, so we discover more about the reason for the assassination attempt, and how the Parshendi came to aquire Szeth's services (that would be appropriate for his book).

Amaram, because in Jasnah's POV we learn that Gavilar gave him a secret errand to the Parshendi on that fateful night. We somehow need to find out what that was.

Elhokar/Navani - welp, just wishful thinking on my part, because I really do not want a Gavilar POV chaper. I prefer for him to remain mysterious, set apart from all the other characters, the ultimate mover of things (despite a slight case of being dead).

Hmm.

I suspect we'll see Eshonai's POV in book 4 and Galivar's in book 5.

But book 3. Hmm. Elhokar and Dalinar didn't seem to be doing anything too interesting until afterwards. How about Amaram or Taravangian?

Renaran's or Adolin's POV could be interesting too, to give a quite different perspective.

Eshonai for book 3. Book 4 maybe Amaram or Elhokar. Book 5, Galivar.

It could be we will get Navani, but I am quite sure we will get Galivar and Eshonai. These two, I am convinced. The third one is more difficult which is why I think it may be Amaram or Navani.

Adolin/Renarin, no. They weren't at the feast. Dalinar tells Adolin about it as if he weren't there. They must have been considered too young to attempt or if they did, they were sent away early. It was quite late when it happened, only the drunkards remained.

I kind of want one of them to be Hoid. We don't know he was at the feast, but it seems likely, given how momentous it turned out to be.

I agree with 5 as Gavilar.

A Herald for book 3 could be too much info too early, but Brandon's already surprised us with how much information was in Words of Radiance, and if you look at Mistborn, after each book you think you understand everything to find out that you didn't know anything at all. So, it's possible.

As for book 4, I'm not sure. Maybe Liss, if Jasnah's plans then become significant, maybe one of the Parshendi (I don't think Eshonai was there, though?)

And as for Sadeas or Amaram, their perspectives would be interesting and very revealing in different ways (Amaram for plots, Sadeas for how he actually viewed the king and Dalinar). I'm not sure I'd exactly enjoy another Sadeas perspective, but it could be interesting.

In book one the prologue was Szeth and the flashback sequence was Kaladin, Both technically wind runners (yes I no Szeth has an honour blade)
Connection is there tho.

Book 2 prologue is Jasnah and flashback sequence is Shallan,
Shallen is Jasnahs ward.

So again the connection is there between the prologue character and flashback character. Since there is only 2 books I might be reading to much into this but could be a trend,

What do ye think?

So book 3 (Szeths) be a skybreaker we dont no is one yet, or a parshendi who hired him.

Book 4 (Eshonai) I think will be Gaviliar, since he told them of his plans to bring bk the parshendi gods at the feast,

Book 5 (Dalinar) will be a Herald, we didnt spot at the feast, since thats the break point of the series,

Thoughts?

Edit: Downvoted for this?

Edited by Griff

So the major questions about Feast Night are: 1) why exactly did the Parshendi decide to kill Gavilar (yes yes, it was because of bringing back their gods, but what exactly did that entail?) an 2) why did Gavilar want to do that, and how was he going to do it?

I think Gavilar for book 5 is a no-brainer. We know that book 4 is supposed to be Eshonai, and it doesn't really fit for the prologue to be her PoV in her own Flashback book. So, I'm leaning toward Eshonai for the prologue in book 3. For book 4, I'm guessing Navani or Amaram.

So the major questions about Feast Night are: 1) why exactly did the Parshendi decide to kill Gavilar (yes yes, it was because of bringing back their gods, but what exactly did that entail?) an 2) why did Gavilar want to do that, and how was he going to do it?

1) We'll probably figure this out once we know exactly what was in the black sphere.  He probably wanted to release an unmade (the sphere very possibly contains Yelig-nar), which would have (somehow) turned the parshendi into voidbringers to starty a desolation.

2) He wanted to do this (return the parshendi gods) in order to cause a desolation to occur, which would cause the heralds to return, which would reestablish the absolute supremacy of the vorin church.  I'm assuming that he didn't realize that 9 of the heralds abandoned the oathpact.

Too early for that I think...

To be fair, the very first POV in the entire series was a Herald. Both books have at least one Herald POV, so I think a Nalan introduction could be a good way to bring us up to speed on his motivations quickly. That's what Jasnah's did.

To be fair, the very first POV in the entire series was a Herald. Both books have at least one Herald POV, so I think a Nalan introduction could be a good way to bring us up to speed on his motivations quickly. That's what Jasnah's did.

Hmm hmm. You may be right. Brandon has dropped enough tipbits about Heralds in Q/A sessions too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Nalan or Kalak are good candidates for Book 3. Kalak is perhaps less likely, since he already got the prelude. Maybe it could even be Ishar, who a lot of people seem convinced was the drunk guy in the WoK's prologue. I'm not sure what evidence there is for that, but...

Anyway, I have reservations about Nalan. I think we'll learn a lot more about him in book 3 but not TOO much, and a POV might be too much.

Sadeas would certainly be interesting. The aftermath of his death might be more interesting if we get to see inside his head a little more.

Sadeas would certainly be interesting. The aftermath of his death might be more interesting if we get to see inside his head a little more.

Sadeas is a great idea, especially since he just died. Love this idea.

I would be interested to see what made Dalinar turn to drink. I think something happend like an argument with old Gavilar.

Maybe possible it will be one of the Parshendi elders or Gavilar himself. Regardless I think that particular scene is full of little eggs for the future.

Hmmm while writing this I remembered we first saw Nin in this scene in Jasnah's pov but who was the guy with him?

Maybe him??

I would be interested to see what made Dalinar turn to drink. I think something happend like an argument with old Gavilar.

Maybe possible it will be one of the Parshendi elders or Gavilar himself. Regardless I think that particular scene is full of little eggs for the future.

Hmmm while writing this I remembered we first saw Nin in this scene in Jasnah's pov but who was the guy with him?

Maybe him??

About Dalinar, we have clues him being drunk was a setup. The Parshendi wanted to kill Galivar and they knew they would have had a harder time at it with the Blackthorn being alert. We have a quote somewhere letting us guess someone was purposely getting Dalinar drunk.

That's Kalak.  I doubt that it'll be him, as he already had a POV in TWoK after the "last" desolation.

Do we know for sure that that's Kalak? It seems like it very well could be, but there's precious little evidence. Is there something I missed?