Ok so Lift may be my new favorite character. So much spunk and just plain badass! Hopefully we will hear about her and potentially the Reshi Isles more in the next book.

I think what I am most curious about is why she has been given special treatment, being able to collect stormlight from food and have physical contact with Wyndle (her spren).

Also that jerk Darkness, really anxious to find out whats up with him.

Any thoughts?

We are fairly certain that she went to the Nightwatcher to get those abilities; her curse is as yet unknown, though it may have something to do with malnutrition. Darkness seems to be the Herald Nale, and seems to be at the head of the Order of the Skybreakers.

Welcome to the forum!

Lift has visited the Old magic and whatever she asked for, the Nightwatcher gave her the ability to be partly into the Cognitive realm and that's how she digests food directly into stormlight and is able to touch Wyndle. That's likely her boon (though it's not confirmed) and her curse is yet unknown. It's awesome she'll have her own book, I really want to read more about her. I've read some wild speculations all the stormlight will vanish/be taken by Voidbringers and Lift will be the only source of stormlight. I'm not sure how plausible this is, but her independence of infused spheres will surely come in handy. 

Darkness seems certain surgeinding brings Desolation, I'm not sure if he'll leave alone proto-Radiants now that the everstorm is already here. He is speculated to be the Herald who went back for his Honorblade. Shallan's brother Helaran went to him and his followers (the current Skybreakers) for unknown reasons before going to kill Amaram. Darkness/Nin/Nale is the one of the men Jasnah heard talking about Ash getting worse, likely referring to Shalash (who's widely considered to be Baxil's mistress, though it's not canon). He sure has a nice fashion sense. I wonder what he's been doing for the past 4500 years, hope he tells Szeth.

I can definitely agree with her being my favorite character now as well. She's up there with Vin.

I still suspect that she had the potential to pull off mistborn fun if she ever runs into Demoux to show her what can be done by eating things other than food.

For those of you who liked this "awesome" character, good news! At a signing for WoR I asked brandon about her, and he told me that she was a seed character in said book, and that she would be a major character in the second half of the Stomlight Archive(the last five books). Huzzah!

Edited by Fatebreaker

For those of you who liked this "awesome" character, good news! At a signing for WoR I asked brandon about her, and he told me that she was a seed character in said book, and that she would be a major character in the second half of the Stomlight Archive(the last five books). Huzzah!

I don't know how I feel about that. Not that I don't like Lift, but I am just concerned about our other main characters. If Lift starts being major, then someone else will have to either die or become minor. I am growing attached to our current crew, so I am slightly disturbed to know we will not be following them until the end :(

We'll be following them to the conclusion of their story. I'm sure that the first arc will have a suitably epic and self-contained storyline, as well as satisfying conclusions for everyone we care about. And, frankly, all the viewpoint characters now are from the Vorin tradition. Every aspect of the mythology is filtered through a Vorin lens. There are hints of others, but I don't think that we'll explore those fully from the POV of someone to which that is the norm until the second arc.

Interludes don't count, by the way.

I don't know how I feel about that. Not that I don't like Lift, but I am just concerned about our other main characters. If Lift starts being major, then someone else will have to either die or become minor. I am growing attached to our current crew, so I am slightly disturbed to know we will not be following them until the end :(

Brandon has said the second set of five books will be a different set of main characters.

Oh yes I am always down to talk about Lift. She is so fantastic. I can't wait for her book, that's going to be so exciting.

I really just love in general how she's like... "I wanna do the thing" and then she does the thing. Her goal for eating food of rich people is weird and fun and her reactions with Wyndle are great.

And her compassion! Her scene has convinced me that Edgedancers are the Best Order (for me) I mean that second Oath was so beautiful, and just how strongly she felt that it was important, that this person who meant nothing to anyone was still important enough to risk her life for... that's the kind of person I strive to be. I also really can't wait to see other uses of growth and friction because they are such interesting powers! I hope we get more Lift in the next 3 books, but even if we don't I will be content with the second arc having her as a primary character.

Edited by leinton

Oh yes I am always down to talk about Lift. She is so fantastic. I can't wait for her book, that's going to be so exciting.

I really just love in general how she's like... "I wanna do the thing" and then she does the thing. Her goal for eating food of rich people is weird and fun and her reactions with Wyndle are great.

And her compassion! Her scene has convinced me that Windrunners are the Best Order (for me) I mean that second Oath was so beautiful, and just how strongly she felt that it was important, that this person who meant nothing to anyone was still important enough to risk her life for... that's the kind of person I strive to be. I also really can't wait to see other uses of growth and friction because they are such interesting powers! I hope we get more Lift in the next 3 books, but even if we don't I will be content with the second arc having her as a primary character.

I think Brandon has said Lift would have only interlude in the next books before becoming major in the last 5 books. She is a great character and I do not mind reading more about her, but still I am sad thinking some of our characters may die or may not be present in the last five.

I think Brandon has said Lift would have only interlude in the next books before becoming major in the last 5 books. She is a great character and I do not mind reading more about her, but still I am sad thinking some of our characters may die or may not be present in the last five.

Brandon said he has no problem writing flashbacks of dead characters, nothing's for certain. Jasnah is also getting a book, so hopefully we'll still read about the Kholins, though Dalinar might die of old age after 10+ in-world years since he's in his 50s in WoK and we don't know alethi life expectancy.

Brandon said he has no problem writing flashbacks of dead characters, nothing's for certain. Jasnah is also getting a book, so hopefully we'll still read about the Kholins, though Dalinar might die of old age after 10+ in-world years since he's in his 50s in WoK and we don't know alethi life expectancy.

I expect Dalinar to die at the end of the first series. I have expected this since the beginning and I think I will be fine with it (although I would much prefer to see Dalinar die of old age surrounded by his grand-children  :ph34r: ) However, if Brandon kills the younger Kohlins, I will be mad.

As for the comment, I think he meant Dalinar. I suspect Dalinar will die at the end of book 4 and book 5 will be the Kohlins having to deal with him gone, Adolin steeping up (I hope) and finally uncovering Radiant powers (I so hope). The flashbacks will serve to highlight his death.

Not to pick marrow-less bones, but Lift is an Edgedancer.

Oh noooooooooooooooooooo how could I make this mistake it's the worst I feel terrible now :(

Thank you for catching. Windrunners are cool but not Edgedancer cool. Is important that I have this said. It is now edited.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't like her character much in the beginning of the interlude and partially because I was annoyed with interlude chapters blocking me from following what happened to my favourite main characters. Had to skip her debut chapter until I read about Brandon intending her to be of major importance down the series.

She was eventually revealed to be a very compassionate kid and I love her for going back to save Gawx even when she wasnt sure she could pull it off or if he is still alive, she barely escaped Nale, doesn't exactly has a lot of stormlight to spare but risked getting executed anyway. (Although she has been consistently reckless with her usage.) I like Wyndle more when he showed much concern for his mistress, where he was panicking and swirling around Lift, desperately trying to help.

She cares when no one else does which is awesome. B) & :angry: @ Nale

Edited by kadolin

• 3 months later...

Actually, I hope Dalinar gets an epic death in the book five. Having him dead of old age in the next books seems not good enough for him...

I hope we will see more of Lift, now in the interludes and later as a major character :D In a way I cannot wait for this, because by now she's the best female character in SA in my opinion (the kind of female character I really love to read about, unlike Shallan and Jasnah, who are good, but not the way I like it).

But it makes me worried about my other favourite characters (Kaladin mostly but Adolin too). I hope that the change of major characters will be more of a "ok, those already finished their big part in saving the world, so let's let them have a nice life and happy families and focus on other characters" not a "ok, they did their job, so they can die and we will watch someone else" :(

We do not know about Alethi life expectancy, but we do know Adolin remembers his grand-father... He was old enough to understand he suffered from delusions, thinking himself back in the wars, which would make Adolin above the age of at least 10, I would think. Now, Dalinar is 50 and he does not have grand-children just yet.

Since we know most Alethi tend to marry young, we can assume the grand-father was between 25-30 years when Dalinar, the second child was born. Dalinar was close to 30 when Adolin was born, which would make his father in the 55-60 years range upon the birth of his seconf son's first child. His delusions would thus have started somewhere close to 70 and he would have died shortly after.

I would thus theorized the life expectancy to be close to 70-75 years of age, not that much different then ours: some die young, some life longer.

The Stormlight that Dalinar now has access to would help to keep his body in good health, so that could survive forcing longer than his father's. Also, just because his father had a weakness in his mind in his later years, that doesn't mean that Dalinar will inherently. Keep an eye out, folks. I think Dalinar will be leading the Radiants for a very long time.

Now Lift. Lift is an amazing person. I like that she has her goals and doesn't let anyone, let alone the thing bonded to her very soul, get in the way. That is a good attribute to have, especially for someone with compassion like hers. It makes her more likely to be the kind of person who will protect like Kaladin wants to with all the healing power of an Edgedancer. All in all, I like Lift. My favourite character in all of the Cosmere is still Kaladin. And maybe Dalinar.

Actually, I hope Dalinar gets an epic death in the book five. Having him dead of old age in the next books seems not good enough for him...

Yeah, why let a character die peacefully when you can have them brutally slaughtered? How he lives his life is much more important and the man deserves to get a break at the end of his life. It's a possibility I mentioned months ago.

We do not know about Alethi life expectancy, but we do know Adolin remembers his grand-father... He was old enough to understand he suffered from delusions, thinking himself back in the wars, which would make Adolin above the age of at least 10, I would think. Now, Dalinar is 50 and he does not have grand-children just yet.

Not fair, you can't respond twice to the same post  :P 

My great-grandmother also suffered from delusions and died when I was around 8 years old, yet I remember, so no reason for Adolin to have been at least 10 to remember his grandfather. 

Since we know most Alethi tend to marry young, we can assume the grand-father was between 25-30 years when Dalinar, the second child was born. Dalinar was close to 30 when Adolin was born, which would make his father in the 55-60 years range upon the birth of his seconf son's first child. His delusions would thus have started somewhere close to 70 and he would have died shortly after.

I would thus theorized the life expectancy to be close to 70-75 years of age, not that much different then ours: some die young, some life longer.

Since Shallan is betrothed at 17 and that's perfectly acceptable, then having the first child when you're under 20 is to be expected, so the second one is likely to be born before the parents are 25 years old. 

The average life-expectancy should be lower than you estimate because it includes everyone. ~75 is unrealistic, modern life-expectancy is lower. Adolin's grandfather was privileged, so he lived longer than the average citizen (better healthcare, more food, others do the hard physical work for him and so on). 

We don't know how many years the first five books will cover. We can guess it won't take longer than 5 in-world years, but it may or may not be correct, so we don't know how old the characters will be in book 6. 

Yeah, why let a character die peacefully when you can have them brutally slaughtered? How he lives his life is much more important and the man deserves to get a break at the end of his life. It's a possibility I mentioned months ago.

Geez, I only just realized how that must've sounded :ph34r: It's not exactly what I meant.

I have absolutely nothing against Dalinar living even long after the whole SA has ended. Or even if he died peacefully in the back five, surrounded by loving family. I rather meant that it would be kind of anti-climatic in my opinion if we learned that he died during the time skip. For me it's either we see him in the back five still alive or he dies in book 4-5 a truly heroic death.