Mistborn: Birthright

Dellexe

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2014/1543.html

"The status of the game remains in limbo"

Well. I'm sad.

Part of me hopes they delay the game again, so they can give it more development and polishing time.

Gah.

This is the only Birthright news to come out in the past 7 months. I'm a bit concerned about how much the company actually cares about the game, since it was announced in 2012, delayed, scrapped, and 7 months after the announcement that they scrapped it, "remains in limbo." I remain hopeful for a worthy representation of the Mistborn world and Sanderson's story, but I'm starting to doubt we're going to get one. At least not soon.

Yeah..........I was soooooo excited when I heard about the game, but little orbit really just left it in the dust. At one of the signings I've been to people were asking Brandon about it, and he definitely seemed a little miffed about how little they've done.

It's definitely unfortunate, but I can't say I'm surprised or disappointed.  All that is really happening is that the game is remaining a nebulous "thing that might happen one day" it's not like we have actually learned anything about it.

My attitude at this point is that it will be cool if/when the game is released, but not to get too exited for it. If you have no anticipation, you can't be disappointed.

It would be cool if Brandon were to release the story he wrote for it if the game is ever officially scrapped, though.

Storm it, I want to downvote you Kal Dell even if it isn't your fault...

Perhaps it was reaching a little too high to try and make a PS4/XboxOne game on an entirely untested IP (when it comes to games, that is). In general terms, it has a lot to compete against, and the fact that it'd be the newest gen would mean it'd cost quite a bit to develop. If they don't think it would be worth developing at that cost or use of resources at this moment in time, then that's just the way of the market, sadly...

It might be better to start with a smaller sort of PC or phone game (when I say 'phone game', note that I don't mean microtransactions). Just starting off small and then building up might work well, as you could then use the revenue and interest generated by the smaller games to develop the larger ones. I've discussed a lot with Kas about how easy (ideas-wise, rather than actually making it) it would be to create a simulation-style game based on the concept of a House War on Scadrial, or a war between Alethi Highprinces.

Actually, come to think of it, the easiest sort of game that you could make would probably be a CYOA or text-parsing game based on the books and events within. It wouldn't be taxing resource-wise, as the core of the idea would be the story behind it rather than fancy graphics or devising game mechanics. In this way, it builds upon something which we all know is the strongest foundation that any Cosmere game could be based upon while introducing a few new ideas and possibly spreading interest outside of these forums and the usual readers.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Ah I must admit I was really looking forward to hearing some positive news on this game, but it seems its going to take awhile longer to come around, if ever, limbo seems to have that effect.

I even signed up to the Little Orbit newsletter about Birthright to get updates on it but haven't received any so far, guess I won't be getting any any time soon. I am remaining hopeful because I think Scadrial and its inhabitants would make for a really interesting game in regards to both game play mechanics (depending on how they are done) and story, something that is totally different from the norm that would provide a breath of fresh air like some games do. ^_^

Edited by Fragment

You mean Farmville but Mistborn (Keepville?)? I could see it, as long as it subverts the usual cutesy and cartoonish nature of them. The only problem is that it's a very, very crowded market, and there's very little difference between them. It would need a definite hook other than the IP to stand out, and even then it probably wouldn't...

You mean Farmville but Mistborn (Keepville?)? I could see it, as long as it subverts the usual cutesy and cartoonish nature of them. The only problem is that it's a very, very crowded market, and there's very little difference between them. It would need a definite hook other than the IP to stand out, and even then it probably wouldn't...

True. I don't know. I mean the only hook I see is placing it in the early days after the end of the first trilogy. It was definitely a popular series and maybe. I don't know what else. 

BAh, no surprise here.

they announced a movie on the wheel of time, scrapped.

they announced a mistborn movie, scrapped.

they announced a mistborn videogame... guess what?

seems they only make movies with commercial stuff. i'm pretty sure if brandon had put vampires into it it would have become a movie, a videogame, and a tabletop game. Also if there was a zombie apocalypse.

Face it: even with his success ever rising, brandon is still too cult to appeal the majors. damnation consumeristic culture.

As a side note, ranting should not be abused, but if done properly it can make you feel better.

seems they only make movies with commercial stuff. i'm pretty sure if brandon had put vampires into it it would have become a movie, a videogame, and a tabletop game. Also if there was a zombie apocalypse.

So... A film about Hemalurgy (Vampires) and about the Shaod (Zombies)? :P

In all seriousness though, Mistborn should be somewhat fine as a commercial film at the moment, considering there's a strong emphasis right now on dystopian settings with strong female leads (Hunger Games, for instance). There's even a romance in there combined with rags to riches. What more could a teenage girl want from Vin as a rolemodel?

Edited by Wyrmhero

I know right!? I mean, I was seriously surprised that it was getting a YA release because of the Skaa houses and Inquisitors. But once you factor in the teen girl area, it suddenly all makes sense :P

So... A film about Hemalurgy (Vampires) and about the Shaod (Zombies)? :P

In all seriousness though, Mistborn should be somewhat fine as a commercial film at the moment, considering there's a strong emphasis right now on dystopian settings with strong female leads (Hunger Games, for instance). There's even a romance in there combined with rags to riches. What more could a teenage girl want from Vin as a rolemodel?

Nah.

the inquisitor-vampire similarity is too weak, the shaod is in another book, and while there is a teen romance, it actually feels like the two of them belong together and not like they are attracted only because the plot says so.

Basically, the whole book is not stereotyped enough.

[in case you're wondering, yes, I'm still in rant mode]

Oh,  by the way, you forgot: there's also a perfect fanservice scene when vin fights in underwear. better yet, it is a justified fanservice scene! if only the movie majors realized the huge pile of money they are kicking...

Twilight: because teenaged girls never want/read intelligent fiction. I would argue that in some ways, though, that Hunger Games is a really dark book, if they can sell that to girls, than why not Mistborn? And anyways, I'd rather have teenagers them look up to Vin and relate to her than Katniss (or Bella; ick) any day...

Ugh, this post is starting out really snarky, I'm sorry. Anyway, you know, it's taken decades for ASOIAF to get televised, so considering that Elantris isn't even a decade old yet (publication-wise), I think that I'm not worried about something (whatever it may be) in the Cosmere being made into a movie or a game (Wheel of Time actually had a video game made based on the series back in 1999, though, it didn't do well..., yes, I know it's not part of the cosmere...), just not when...

(And I hope whoever does it doesn't somehow screw it up royally...)

Edited by Nymp

the inquisitor-vampire similarity is too weak, the shaod is in another book, and while there is a teen romance, it actually feels like the two of them belong together and not like they are attracted only because the plot says so.

Basically, the whole book is not stereotyped enough.

'One is a beautiful but cruel creature that feeds on the souls of Allomancers to gain the power to save his lost girlfriend in a tragic tale of a love gone awry! The other lost their heart when the Shaod came upon her, she was thrown into Elantris, and most importantly her family rejected her for the choice of a Hoed boyfriend! Can these two broken souls learn to trust people again? Can they help each other rediscover how to love, even as they try to track down the handsomely dangerous and dangerously handsome Mistborn, Kelsier, a man hounded for a crime he didn't commit? Find out in 'Devoted to your Ruin'!'

tl:dr, Inquisitor and Elantrian love story - also they fight crime!

...That contrived enough? :P

Edited by Wyrmhero

• Chaos locked this topic