Colossus or Colossi?

Khyrindor

I'd say it could really be either, but I'd prefer colossi, purely on the basis of the Latin etymology of the word. But then again, it probably wouldn't be wrong to use either.

Hooray! Another reason to tell my Latin joke on the forums!

A Roman walks into a bar and says to the bartender "I'd like a martinus please." The bartender gives him a strange look and replies "do you mean a Martini?" The Roman glares at him and says "if I wanted more than one I'd ask for it!"

I find it a good rule of thumb to avoid ambiguity as much as possible when speaking. So in spite of Kurk's wiki'ing (which, because English is dumb, should probably be written as wikying), I am going to say that using "colossus" is bad policy for the plural form. 

I find it a good rule of thumb to avoid ambiguity as much as possible when speaking. So in spite of Kurk's wiki'ing (which, because English is dumb, should probably be written as wikying), I am going to say that using "colossus" is bad policy for the plural form. 

Clarification: It was a dictionary, not a wiki. :P And turns out I misread the OP and the dictionary agrees that just saying "colossus" for the plural isn't right.

• Chaos locked this topic