Fantasycon reading

Delightful

Theory: at the beginning of the second half of the reading, Syl is making herself look like Shallan because she knows (either from what she's seen, or through their improved bond) that Kaladin totally digs Shallan, and it makes Syl a tiny bit jealous.  

Hi, I'm new. I just wanted to chime in on the speculation! I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the wait between books.

Regarding Listeners/Parshendi/Parshmen: I think it's probably accurate that the Parshmen have to be outside to transform. However, I also think it's possible that they were drawn outside by a rhythm or other unspoken communication. I also agree that Parshendi (ie. Rlain--already bound to a spren) can probably choose to change, while Parshmen cannot.

Edited by garrison117

Everyone's harping on about Parshmen having to be outside to transform but guys... I think you're forgetting that the Everstorm kind of DESTROYS ALL THE HOUSES??

I don't think it's quite so extreme. Sure, it'll do more damage than a regular highstorm because the buildings etc. aren't equipped to deal with it. But after the Everstorm passed through the warcamps, if I remember correctly there were definitely still some buildings standing.Then again it must do *some* structural damage or it wouldn't be as powerful as an earthly hurricane..

Anyone else think it is significant that the Everstorm didn't recharge Kaladin's gems?

Not really, I think it was pretty much the expected thing.  It is Odium's storm after all, if anything it would give "voidlight" though I don't know if I support that theory at this time.

That's a really good point.

My guess is, it either doesn't carry Stormlight, or can't infuse anything with Stormlight.

And seeing as the Stormfather is the spren/sliver thing of Honour, I assume the Everstorm isn't of Honour. It's probably Odium, infusing parshmen/Parshendi with odium-Investiture to make them all stormform. It does tell us that spheres are exclusive to Stormlight.

It would be interesting if some of the parshmen were turned into old dangerous forms that are not stormform.

Edit: sort of ninja'd. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, I haven't been involved in WoR discussion for a while.

Edited by Delightful

Any theories on where the Stormfather-spawned Highstorm is at this point? Obviously if the Everstorm has passed this point already, this won't be the next point of collision of the two storms, but it'd be good to know how long Kaladin has before getting access to more stormlight. 

Any theories on where the Stormfather-spawned Highstorm is at this point? Obviously if the Everstorm has passed this point already, this won't be the next point of collision of the two storms, but it'd be good to know how long Kaladin has before getting access to more stormlight. 

Also, is the Weeping over, or will Highstorms be twice as frequent afterwards?

Regarding the weeping, from the reading, "As much as he despised the Weeping he was not happy to see those rains go, they should have lasted another seven days but the wrong windstorm had disrupted them."  So the rains are at least temporarily gone, but the Weeping as a season still has seven days.  This could be important given that Kaladin currently has no way to surge bind or heal himself.

That said:

Is a great question.  If it circles the globe at the same rate as the Everstorm, it should be approaching Kaladin soon.

I don't think it's quite so extreme. Sure, it'll do more damage than a regular highstorm because the buildings etc. aren't equipped to deal with it. But after the Everstorm passed through the warcamps, if I remember correctly there were definitely still some buildings standing.Then again it must do *some* structural damage or it wouldn't be as powerful as an earthly hurricane..

We never saw the Everstorm hit the warcamps, actually. It originated in full-force somewhere in the Shattered Plains, then headed East.

If it circles the globe at the same rate as the Everstorm, it should be approaching Kaladin soon.

Assuming that Roshar is rotating around itself (I haven't read otherwise, just some tadbit concerning the seasons, but that should be due to the tilt of the Planet's roational axis) and both storms (o.B.d.A both have the same velocity) are going in opposite direction, one of them should be faster than the other, as it moves along the rotation. Hopefully it's the Stormfather's one, I'll try to check some numbers later.

Arising problem: the storms would clash at different geographical points every time, thereby causing even more destruction all over the place...

EDIT: The Everstorm is causing already a lot of destruction, another clash therefore even more...

Edited by She Who Cannot Be Named

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum. I was rereading WOK and found this. I hope it isn't foreshadowing the rest of the chapter!

The death rattle from Chapter 3 City of Bells:

"A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears."

Can we assume that the themes of this book will deal mainly with seeking justice?

Regarding Kaladin's character arc, I have wondered if his first real challenge in this book (and therefore his first chance at progression) will be the desire to take revenge on Roshone.  

Or maybe differentiating between revenge and justice?

So Kaladin is a Windrunner, not a Skybreaker, and the Windrunner associated with Jezrien and the attributes "Protecting" and "Leading".  We already have two spoken ideals from the Windrunners related to "protecting", and I feel that the remaining two slots out of the 5 are likely to be related to "Leading".  Kaladin has been set up in the 3rd book to have a story arch that deals with learning to lead and inspire a wide variety of people into working together to achieve a common goal, and I see it all as starting in Hearthstone.  Kaladin is not going to seek justice against those who did him wrong, he learned that lesson in the last book.  Instead, he will have to prove to the townspeople that he is worthy of leadership, more so than their current lighteyes.  He will need to gain their respect, and in turn they will bestow leadership upon him.  Or some such.  Those are my thoughts on Kaladin's future story arc.

Theory: at the beginning of the second half of the reading, Syl is making herself look like Shallan because she knows (either from what she's seen, or through their improved bond) that Kaladin totally digs Shallan, and it makes Syl a tiny bit jealous.  

Haha, as a fellow Shalladin shipper, I thought this very thing:

“I’ll have you know I put a ton of thought into it,” Syl said in a huff, “I spend positively hours thinking of just how-- OOH! What’s that!”

Seems to me that Syl sees/feels something from Kaladin concerning Shallan, and is trying to elicit a similar response from Kaladin towards her...

...or she could really just be doing her usual silly Syl stuff.  Either way, I like how her personality is constantly growing and developing as their bond grows, and I definitely think this is a future indicator that Syl is very capable of feelings of jealousy in the future. 

Edited by DeployParachute

Anyone else think it is significant that the Everstorm didn't recharge Kaladin's gems?

Did he leave them out uncovered? For some reason, I doubt he or many people did. The Everstorm would be a surprise, and the regular protocols for leaving your gems in wind-protected enclosures probably wouldn't do too well. I am somewhat inclined to believe gems should be charged by the Everstorm, though not with Stormlight. (I consider it... uh, 70% likely?)

Edited by Moogle

About Moogle's comment

I am somewhat inclined to believe gems should be charged by the Everstorm

I was about to argue against it on the grounds that Kaladin himself was not charged by the Everstorm.  The idea was that since Kaladin couldn't be fed off the light of Everstorm, I found it doubtful that "useful Stormlight" could be stored in the gems.

But before posting I wanted to check if the consensus is that KR's can directly feed off Stormlight.  That is, put Kaladin in a storm without gemstones and he can feed off the stormlight, he just can't store it.  I was thinking yes on the grounds that when Kaladin entered the highstorms while fighting Szeth (and yes his "reserves" burst alight), BWS states that being in the highstorm "energized Kaladin."

I also thought that it might explain while Shallan was almost hypnotized by the highstorm at the wine cafe.

Thoughts?  Do KR's feed directly off Stormlight?  And if so does that shed light on whether the Everstorm can recharge gemstones?

Also, I just noticed I have made enough comments to have been promoted from Darkeyes to Skaa.  Not actually sure that is a promotion.

About Moogle's comment

I was about to argue against it on the grounds that Kaladin himself was not charged by the Everstorm.  The idea was that since Kaladin couldn't be fed off the light of Everstorm, I found it doubtful that "useful Stormlight" could be stored in the gems.

Kaladin not being able to feed off of the Everstorm is not surprising, since Odium and Honor's Investiture are probably somewhat opposed. A similar thing happened in Mistborn. This is supported by the fact that Kaladin is immune to the Thrill (caused by Odium's Unmade), as is Dalinar (and probably Adolin) now. I think this is also supported by Eshonai's cometspren trying to get away from her, since I believe it's her Shardblade, but tons of people disagree with me on that. Syl also reacts violently to the very mention of the name Odium.

Gems seem to be the base 'sticky' thing for Investiture on Roshar, and I believe that any Shard's Investiture can easily be stuck into a gem (if they are invested on Roshar). Much like metals act as an Investiture attractor (Allomancy), Investiture store (for both Feruchemy and Hemalurgy), and you can also infuse them with the mists, gemstones should act as a universal battery for H/C/O's Investiture. Can't forget about that black sphere either, particularly considering the rather high chance that it's filled with Odium's Investiture.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the Everstorm will infuse gemstones left out under it, just that I think it should be possible in theory to put the Everstorm's Investiture in a gemstone (perhaps using whatever apparatus Zahel is using to stick Stormlight in himself). I'm not all that sure on the mechanics. Like I said, I'm giving it a 70% chance of being the case.

In regards to your question, I have no problems with Kaladin directly feeding off a highstorm. I'm not sure why he didn't during his highstorm adventure while strung up, but that may just be because he hadn't bonded with Syl tightly enough to be aligned with Honor and so 'key' himself to the storm. (We see this problem also come up in Mistborn, that not just anyone can feed off of the planetary Investiture.)

Edited by Moogle

Soooo, Syl didn't have a safe hand until now, huh?

I wonder about his eyes.... Is that some Windrunner thing? Neither Jasnah's nor Shallan's eyes changed color and we've seen both of them with their Blades. Or may be soulcasters are different? When Nohadon spoke to Dalinar, he used surgebinders and soulcasters separately and the latter are already different when it comes to the gems they use.

But still, why would his eyes change back to brown without stormlight? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't eye color related to pigmentation like melanin and blue means no (or little), whereas brown is simply plenty of the pigment, so this would mean stormlight destroys the pigmentation in one's eyes? So his eyes go brown again when new pigment is produced by his body. Though I don't see a reason for stormlight to destroy anything natural to the body that is also part of one's mental image of himself.

edit: However, this doesn't work in Szeth's case, because with him his eyes go back to their natural color immediately after he dismisses his Blade.

Edited by Aleksiel

Gems seem to be the base 'sticky' thing for Investiture on Roshar, and I believe that any Shard's Investiture can easily be stuck into a gem (if they are invested on Roshar). Much like metals act as an Investiture attractor (Allomancy), Investiture store (for both Feruchemy and Hemalurgy), and you can also infuse them with the mists, gemstones should act as a universal battery for H/C/O's Investiture. Can't forget about that black sphere either, particularly considering the rather high chance that it's filled with Odium's Investiture.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the Everstorm will infuse gemstones left out under it, just that I think it should be possible in theory to put the Everstorm's Investiture in a gemstone (perhaps using whatever apparatus Zahel is using to stick Stormlight in himself). I'm not all that sure on the mechanics. Like I said, I'm giving it a 70% chance of being the case.

According to the reading Kaladin had a large number of gemstones on him when waited out the everstorm in a small alcove in the rock he carved with his blade.  This makes me think that if they can infuse any light from the everstorm then it can't be done without some kind of extra aid.

Soooo, Syl didn't have a safe hand until now, huh?

I wonder about his eyes.... Is that some Windrunner thing? Neither Jasnah's nor Shallan's eyes changed color and we've seen both of them with their Blades. Or may be soulcasters are different? When Nohadon spoke to Dalinar, he used surgebinders and soulcasters separately and the latter are already different when it comes to the gems they use.

But still, why would his eyes change back to brown without stormlight? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't eye color related to pigmentation like melanin and blue means no (or little), whereas brown is simply plenty of the pigment, so this would mean stormlight destroys the pigmentation in one's eyes? So his eyes go brown again when new pigment is produced by his body. Though I don't see a reason for stormlight to destroy anything natural to the body that is also part of one's mental image of himself.

edit: However, this doesn't work in Szeth's case, because with him his eyes go back to their natural color immediately after he dismisses his Blade.

Well, taken at the new information, it would seem it isn't a permanent alteration to the nature of the eye...but a byproduct of accessing the surges exclusive to each order, thus why each order has somewhat different colours. 

Considering the interesting role of eyes in Roshar, there's probably a good reason for this...at a theoryguess I'd say they are the manifestation of the soul in the most obvious form, thus why they shivel when someone is killed with a shardblade.

Considering the interesting role of eyes in Roshar, there's probably a good reason for this...at a theoryguess I'd say they are the manifestation of the soul in the most obvious form, thus why they shivel when someone is killed with a shardblade.

So Kal's soul is blue? Poor guy, no wonder he's so depressed.

Sadface. Once I become a millionaire with time and money to throw around, I'll start attending every one of Brandon's events. Every. Single. One. And record everything. And possible become a beta reader for my dedication. Either that, or get a restraining order...

Attend every event and when Brandon's looking, do something that would make you stick out ever so slightly as Hoid. :)