Fantasycon reading

Delightful

That was very interesting.

So Kaladin's eyes don't stay permanently blue. I wonder how this will effect his rank in society. He is a radiant and a shardbearer which would automatically make him 4th dahn, but he could appear as a dark eyed slave to people who see him as he is now.

That was very interesting.

So Kaladin's eyes don't stay permanently blue. I wonder how this will effect his rank in society. He is a radiant and a shardbearer which would automatically make him 4th dahn, but he could appear as a dark eyed slave to people who see him as he is now.

"Slave!", they cried out.

Kaladin sighed, then summoned Syl.

"Nevermind!"

Edited by Kurkistan

if you become a millionaire wouldn't you be able to wear a different disguise everytime? you could get his signature and enough pictures with him to fill a briefcase that you can then carry around everywhere just to say you do.

It'll be the opposite of Ash going to all the gym leaders and collecting badges and pokemon and STILL never catching them all.

Can someone please tell how to do spoilers?  I made two attempts (both with the Spoiler reading "test") and it did not seem to work.

Moderators, I hid those two comments but feel free to delete them.

To the left of the "Font" drop down there is the button for "Special BBC code" spoiler tags are one of the options in there.

Thank you WeiryWriter!

So Kaladin will show up to a city where the citylord hates him, wearing slave brands, not having his Cobalt guard uniform, having dark eyes, no stormlgiht, but a treasure in gems. I am guessing he will look like a deserter and not be received particularly well.

Thank you WeiryWriter!

So Kaladin will show up to a city where the citylord hates him, wearing slave brands, not having his Cobalt guard uniform, having dark eyes, no stormlgiht, but a treasure in gems. I am guessing he will look like a deserter and not be received particularly well.

Forgive me please for asking the obvious but I need confirmation here before I explode: you were at the reading? This isn't speculation or a joke?

Total speculation. 

I had previously wondered how Roshone would respond (assuming they met in Hearthstone) when Kaladin had blue eyes and the uniform of a Cobalt guard. So I think it interesting that BWS mentions that Kaladin has neither.

But since I had previously let my brain wander here, it is very likely I am over interpreting.

As Kurkistan points out, Kaladin still has his shard blade

Total speculation.

I had previously wondered how Roshone would respond (assuming they met in Hearthstone) when Kaladin had blue eyes and the uniform of a Cobalt guard. So I think it interesting that BWS mentions that Kaladin has neither.

But since I had previously let my brain wander here, it is very likely I am over interpreting.

As Kurkistan points out, Kaladin still has his shard blade

Thanks! This made me realise I somehow missed like ten posts. Weird.:/

I'm going to go ahead and point this out, since nobody has yet:

I'm fairly certain that the reason that Kaladin's eyes aren't permanently changed is the same reason his slave brands aren't healing. His cognitive identity does not accept light eyes, since he hates what they represent. With Kaladin, we have a very visual representation of his sense of self--we'll know that he's accepted what he is when he looks the part.

There is a large part of me that wishes that this means Brandon is going to write this book next, but the rational part of me knows that he is doing Rithmatist 2 next (unless he has changed his mind). Still exciting, though!

Some things that interested me: First, Kaladin's being able to read Syl's emotions/understand her better. I want to say that this is not due to increased familiarity, as Kaladin thought it may be, but that it is related more to the fact that he has now said the third Windrunner oath and thus has strengthened their bond. Second, it is interesting how the Everstorm is messing with the Weeping. Can't say much on that now, but I am interested to see how the storms will interact in the normal season. If the normal seasons will even return. The Everstorm will almost certainly screw up all of Roshar's weather patterns. Third, I assume the fatigue Kaladin is experiencing is the same thing that an Pewterarm experiences after a pewter drag. It could also be another element of Stormlight's (and Investiture in general's) addictive nature.

I'm going to go ahead and point this out, since nobody has yet:

I'm fairly certain that the reason that Kaladin's eyes aren't permanently changed is the same reason his slave brands aren't healing. His cognitive identity does not accept light eyes, since he hates what they represent. With Kaladin, we have a very visual representation of his sense of self--we'll know that he's accepted what he is when he looks the part.

But why would that matter? Cognitive identity only affects you when you're using magic to heal. If your theory is true, Kaladin's eyes should be brown while he's holding Stormlight, as it constantly heals him back to brown. Instead, his eyes turn back to their normal color when Kaladin abstains from Stormlight for long periods of time.

I think Kaladin's brown eyes are fascinating and I want to know more about the mechanics. If we go by the the Surgebinder-gemheart theory, maybe it just takes a day or so for all of his Stormlight to finally leave him and return his eyes to normal. This doesn't seem to explain why his eyes change color when he takes up Syl, though.

Edited by Moogle

Ok. This is amazing.

Syl is adorable as usual. And poor Kaladin, is anything ever going to work out for him ?:( I'm scared for the state he'll find Hearthstone in after the Everstorm. I guess this means Dalinar didn't get to warn/be taken seriously by everyone in time. Which is scary because Roshar was desolate already, and if it goes post-apocalyptic with the Everstorm, it could get even worse. :/

Can we assume those hills he recognised are the hills of Hearthstone, like round about where he first fought that farmers son with Laral watching?

Edit: thanks so much for the transcription Weiry!

the 'like a child without a face' line is way creepy and makes me question if Kal has seen such a person.

Also, does anyone else find it amusing that after worrying about the Everstorm, Kal swears as 'storms'. It's almost *too* appropriate. :P

Edited by Delightful

We should probably put a big Stones Unhallowed Spoilers sign somewhere and stop talking behind the tags...

"like a child without a face" also sounded awfully... specific to me. It made me think of the Unmade, or maybe the Ten Fools. But more then Unmade.

Good idea, Arget.

HERE BE STONES UNHALLOWED SPOILERS. ALL YEE WHO GO BEYOND THIS POINT BE WARNED.

Thanks, Weiry! :D

From the looks of it, this at least is not different between Kaladin and Szeth then. When Szeth summoned his Honorblade, his eyes shifted colour as well.

Eh. Obviously there's a parallel here, but I'd hesitate to say "not different". There's so very much that's different between the two of them.

For one, for some reason I doubt that Szeth's eyes "lasted" for hours after he dismissed his Blade.

For one, for some reason I doubt that Szeth's eyes "lasted" for hours after he dismissed his Blade.

You're right, they don't. They also don't change color when Szeth is 'just' holding Stormlight. Szeth either has something different going on, or else his bond to his Blade is not as strong as Kaladin's to Syl. Kaladin's eyes temporarily changed to blue all the way back in WoK, though, as Teft notes, so there's differences even there between Kal and Szeth.