Sanderson's "Write About Dragons" Creative Writing Course

I have one question about the third class...

At the second video Sanderson mentions a character creation method named.. Dacie... Or dacia... or something like that. I can't really find anything like that on the internet (although I kind of get the idea of what he means)

Have you any idea of how is this actually spelled and what is it exactly?

I have one question about the third class...

At the second video Sanderson mentions a character creation method named.. Dacie... Or dacia... or something like that. I can't really find anything like that on the internet (although I kind of get the idea of what he means)

Have you any idea of how is this actually spelled and what is it exactly?

That would be a reference to the Character Dossier method. Effectively, you build a worksheet of questions to ask yourself about each character in order to flesh them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Peeps!

I won't lie. I joined 17thshard purely because I noticed this thread. I know I'm a little late, but I kinda want in, if possible. It's hard to find an active crew of writers anymore.

Also, do you guys happen to have a VOIP set up? Or know a group that does? I've been looking for anyone who's set up to do that.

Just so you, there are actually two things going on in this forum. There's the Write About Dragons writing group that this thread is about, in which the writers have all decided to do Sanderson's Write About Dragons course together (and are writing novellas, I believe). If you're interested in that one specifically, I'll point you to EndurantArchivist, who's been managing the Write About Dragons Group. I haven't been participating myself, so I don't know how far along they are in the course or how manageable it would be to join in/participate at this point.

However, there is also the Reading Excuses writing group (most of the writers in the Write About Dragons group are part of the larger Reading Excuses group, though I think there are a few 17th Sharders who aren't part of RE). Instead of just being novellas, the RE group is pretty much open to anything: mostly novels, but also various categories of short fiction, and we've even had people submit poetry and screenplay scripts on occasion. Most of the members are readers and writers of speculative fiction, but we don't exclude other genres.

The submission date for Reading Excuses is every Monday, and the rules and submission process are laid out in this thread. So, if you're interested in joining the larger Reading Excuses writing group instead of/in addition to the Write About Dragons group, let me know and I'll hook you up.

ETA: I'm afraid I don't know of any VOIP groups--maybe others do? But someone also posted a thread recently that talked about starting up a writing group that met over Google Hangouts, in case that's something you're interested in.

Edited by Silk

Ah, I see. The Write About Dragons course is something I fully intend on doing, but since 5 of the 12 weeks are already done, I suspect it would be hard to manage. I'll catch this bus the next time it come around.

The Reading Excuses, on the other hand, is perfect for now. If you could hook me up with that, I would be ecstatic. I'll also chat with 

vtsobnf about the voip thing.

Thanks for the help!

No problem. PM with the email address that you want to use and I'll add you to the list so you can start receiving submissions. Other than that, the whole process for sending/receiving/critiquing subs is detailed in the Welcome to Reading Excuses thread, so just let me know if you have any questions.

@SirenKing Just got to your message today and I've been thinking about how I could incorporate you into the Write About Dragons course. We've just hit the halfway point, so I'm thinking it'd be hard for you to really draw a lot from the group joining up now. 

However, like Silk said, RE is a great group, I've been a part for a while, though not as active because of WaD. And, in a few weeks, our WaD group will be working towards some new goals, when the course is complete, which you're more then welcome to join up with us. 

Shoot me a message and we can chat about how we could make sure your fit in future plans! And if you want to participate now and don't mind a steep starting curve, let me know, I'll get you added.