Price of Breaths

11thorderknight

I shudder to think of the riots that would occur if any government tried to put a tax on Breath.  Far too many people, even in Hallandren, who only have the one Breath would protest such a tax strenuously.  

Well, of course there would be tax-free allowance of your own Breath and, let's say, up to nine additional. If this horrible government want to continue existing, it would target only those who are rich since they're a minority.

Maybe taxing only above the first Heightening?

Edited by Oversleep

Well, of course there would be tax-free allowance of your own Breath and, let's say, up to nine additional. If this horrible government want to continue existing, it would target only those who are rich since they're a minority.

Maybe taxing only above the first Heightening?

Riiiight, the wealthy have to pay more taxes. Because that's how it works in reality too<_<

More likely it works somewhat like an inheritance tax. Having breath isn't taxed, but passing it on is.

Probably taxed in money and not in breaths. That might explain why everyone* doesn't simply pass on their breath before dying: because their heirs couldn't afford the tax for passing on even a single breath.

*everyone dying from old age or illness, that is, unforeseen deaths obviously aren't ideal for passing on breaths

Edit: on the other hand, Hallandren doesn't seem bureaucratic enough to me to be able to accurately (or even broadly) account the number of breaths in circulation.

Edited by EagleOfTheForestPath

Riiiight, the wealthy have to pay more taxes. Because that's how it works in reality too. <_<

More likely it works somewhat like an inheritance tax. Having breath isn't taxed, but passing it on is.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned state should keep away from Breaths.

And it's all just a hypothetical situation.

The tax would be linear with First Heightening being tax free. Nothing about taxing the rich more.

Another possibility would be taxing only transfers of Breaths with inheritance excluded.

DISCLAIMER:

I, Oversleep, Holder of Theoryblades, am against any possible government which would impose taxes on BioChroma and I will oppose said government to my last...Breath.

Edited by Oversleep

Putting this in modern day terms, I'll calculate it.

According to the UK National Office for Statistics, an average family spends around 489 pounds per week (as per 2012). This means they spend around 25,428 pounds a year (if they don't have holidays and are really conservative). Double that to accost for Jewel's large family and you'll get 50,856 pounds (I'm interpreting "feeding a family" as in providing clothing, water, etc., not just food). In the American dollar, that;s $87,187.53.

If we're talking about actually feeding a family, then according to Gallup, an average American family spends about $151 per week on food (although Forbes claims it's $181). For Jewel's family, that'd be a max of $15,704 (if they're really excessive).

So, in modern day terms, that's around $10,000. Quite a lot for a Breath. That also means Susebron has... $500,000,000 worth of Breaths! (Faints)

So sorry accidental downvote! Someone please fix!

• Chaos locked this topic