Doctor Who

Quiver

Notice how the Cut away from Gretchin and Half-Faced Man, was the same 'Cut Away' used when the Doctor Materialized around Blue.

Missy has TARDIS Technology?

My top theories are in order:

The Master,

Insane Clara Splinter?

The Rani,

Other theories, which are baseless, are an insane Romana (K9 Always called her Mistress - i.e. Missy?) or perhaps The Black Guardian? 

I was a bit shocked at a lot of the reactions from ep 3 on my Malazan forum. It was split with either loved it or hated it. No real middle ground at all. I loved it. Hell I wouldn't mind it if Robin became a companion. They had great chemistry I thought. I loled through the whole hr while a lot of others scowled for the hour.

Ha! I loved it, and knew immediately that, of course the fans would hate it.

Is a show where you could literally tell any story, in any time. But its always the alien card. You know, in the original couple of seasons, every other story was Historical? It would only feature historical characters and events? "The Aztecs" played with the idea of rewriting history, (To which the First doctor replied: You can't just rewrite history! Not one line!"

I loved the episode, although, i'll admit the arrow at the end was cheesy.

I loved (After a nights sleep and thinking about it) that the explanation for Robin Hood was simply that he DID exist. Why can't there be Heros? Why do we have to assume that because the universe is so cruel sometimes, there can't be real Hero's? Sometimes, it isn't too good to be true. 

OK, so here are my thoughts on the first three episodes of Capaldi's era. As they are the first three episodes of his era, I dwell rather inordinately on how I perceive his characterization and the show's shifting tone. I try to cover the actual plots of the episodes, but my own rants and ravings tend to overshadow the rest.

Each set of rants and ravings contain information on the plot and outcome of the episodes, so be sure to heed the wise words of River Song: "Careful, sweetie. Spoilers."

Deep Breath

When it comes to a new Doctor, there is nothing more important than an astounding first episode. I believe it's safe to say that Eccleston's season was off to a running start with the epic mystery presented in Rose. Similarly, Tennant's opening Christmas special gave us--and the Doctor--a smashing look at who this incarnation was and what the tone of his era would look like. One of my favorite episodes of all time is The Eleventh Hour, Matt Smith's incredible debut which completely revitalized our favorite Time Lord and the spirit of his adventures.

With such magnanimous precedents set in the past, expectations were understandably high in Deep Breath. And with some reservations which I will cover below, I believe Deep Breath did an admirable job of introducing us to the Twelfth Doctor, telling a gripping story and scoring high on the entertainment scale at the same time. While I found the beginning rather slow, by the time of the restaurant scene I was laughing at the witty banter between Clara and the Doctor whilst being steadily more and more involved in the storyline.

Firstly, I loved the plot. Beginning with the tyrannosaur rampaging through London was just the kind of fiendishly clever touch we've come to expect from Steven Moffat, and the Half-Faced Man was a brilliant villain on a number of levels. A human who loses his humanity from making himself a cyborg has been done to death; the opposite is a weird and novel premise worthy of the finest of science fiction stories. I'll admit to not knowing the name of the Half-Faced Man's actor, but I salute his fine portrayal of the character. He was creepy through much of the episode, but by the end he did a wonderful job of depicting the confusion and doubt of a broken robot.

While we are on the topic of Deep Breath's actors, Peter Capaldi definitely won me over. His lines through the episode ranged from quirky to dark to hilarious, and he delivered them all with the same supernal skill.  While Matt Smith still stands as my favorite Doctor, I am more than happy with Capaldi at the TARDIS' controls.

Before I go into the things that trouble me about the episode, allow me to rattle off other aspects of the episode I loved. Clara's character engaged my interest more than it ever has before, and I'm curious to see what directions they take her development into. The Paternoster Gang was brilliant as always, serving as a nice anchor to Matt Smith's era. I believe we needed a firm anchor--with so many major alterations, a reminder that this is still the same show was nice to see. Matt Smith's cameo at the end was a wonderful touch, no matter how sad it makes me to see him go.

With that, my doubts on the episode--and what I expect the series' overall tone may be from now on. Deep Breath has a noticeably darker and more cynical tone than The Eleventh Hour. There are similarities between the two to be sure, but the similarities only underlie deeper differences. For instances, both the Eleventh and the Twelfth Doctors broke a promise to someone immediately after their regenerations. Eleven promised to come right back for Amelia Pond, only to overshoot his destination and return to her years afterwards. Twelve made a sincere promise to keep the tyrannosaur safe from harm, only to watch helplessly as the dinosaur suffered from spontaneous combustion.

The similarity is clear: the difference is the way they are presented. In The Eleventh Hour, the Doctor is given a chance to redeem his broken promise by coming back for Amy Pond. In Deep Breath, the Doctor has no such opportunity. The dinosaur is dead, and there is nothing for him to do about it besides avenge her. While the essence of the scenario is very similar, the conclusion to the first is brimming with jubilant optimism, while the latter has relatively bleak overtones.

In my opinion, Doctor Who is at its best when it is, all things considered, an idealistic fairy tale. I do not begrudge my fellow fans their love of darker episodes, but my personal feeling is that these types of stories should be kept to a minimum. Only time will tell what the overall tone of Capaldi's era will look like, but Deep Breath provides me with only a very cautious optimism for the future of my favorite series.

Before I move on to the next episode, I will conclude by expressing a great deal of interest in our new story arc. The introduction of Missy is a complete surprise, and this Promised Land storyline may prove to a be a sort of Promised Arc for us--a fantastic mystery of epic proportions.

Into the Dalek

The Doctor has scarcely recovered from post-regenerative trauma before he comes face to face with his greatest enemies. Phil Ford has only written one episode before, an episode which seems universally adored by the Doctor Who fan base. I have seen The Waters of Mars gushed over as a "masterpiece" of plot and characterization, hailed as the definitive conclusion to the Tenth Doctor's character journey.

I believe it's fair to say I am in the minority when I say that I genuinely did not care for this episode. I found the water plot rather dull and un-engaging, and the Time Lord Victorious concept didn't grip me nearly so much as it did my fellow fans. Perhaps this is just another example of my preference for lighter episodes, which will be made even more clear when I proceed to gush over Robots of Sherwood in a few paragraphs.

Due to my feelings on his last episode, I was skeptical yet hopeful for Into the Dalek. I have long hoped for an exploration of Dalek psychology, and Into the Dalek seemed like just the episode to take on the challenge. Ultimately, however, the episode took a turn for the morbidly depressing that prevented me from fully enjoying it.

The premise was engaging. Shrinking to tiny size and exploring a Dalek from the inside out--all the makings of a great Doctor Who episode right there. Rusty's character arc was thrilling to witness. But to me, the episode's mortal failing was the Scottish Gallifreyan himself: the Doctor.

In the hands of Phil Ford, the Doctor ceased to be the tender hero we have grown accustomed to. There are some critics that feel this is a good thing. I am and never will be one of those critics. The line "She's my carer--she cares so I don't have to" feels like a fundamental betrayal of the Doctor's character. The Doctor has always stood out as the man who cares. He drops into places of hatred and paranoia, and distinguishes himself from the immoral characters he bumps up against by being the man who cares about everyone. He is the man who will go to great lengths to save absolutely everyone. He is the man who will start dancing from the sheer joy of having an adventure where he isn't faced with death. The idea of this man telling someone "I don't care" is fundamentally wrong in more ways than I can count.

I was already feeling disturbed by this unprecedented callousness when the scene with Ross rolled around. The Doctor and his companions are deep in the bowels of a Dalek casing, surrounded by mechanical antibodies. A man named Ross is in mortal danger, the Doctor tells the man to swallow something while uttering the phrase "Trust me." I, like everyone else in the audience, expected Ross to be saved. It then turns out that he was doomed to die, and the Doctor merely wished to manipulate the circumstances of his death to save the rest of them.

I would be hard-pressed to find a moral rebuttal of his actions--if a man is going to die anyway, then setting up a way to save the rest of the group through his demise seems a decent course of action. But it represents such a betrayal of the show's tone that I could scarcely believe it had actually happened. The Doctor showing such a Machiavellian streak was jarring, and the fact that he showed no remorse for the man's demise afterwards only made me scowl at the TV screen all the more. This isn't who the Doctor is, I thought with increasing frustration. Mr. Ford, the Doctor is not an anti-hero. Do not treat him as such.

The episode continued. Rusty goes on a rampage. The Doctor earns himself a slap from Clara. Rusty gets better, seeing beauty in the stars and hatred in the Doctor's soul. Rusty becomes the first heroic Dalek since Caan and Oswin.

Then comes Rusty's final line: "You are a good Dalek."

In the context of this episode, what Rusty says is true. Over the course of this episode, the Doctor acted like the most cold-blooded of Daleks that simply happened to be fighting on the right side. He showed no kindness, restraint, or remorse. In the end, he rejects Journey Blue as a companion because she is a soldier, and this somehow makes her unworthy of his company--despite the fact that he himself was a soldier for centuries, and many of his other friends have been associated with various militaries.

The Twelfth Doctor's characterization in the hands of Phil Ford is not the Doctor we know from the rest of the series. Ford has a concept of the show that is fundamentally at odds with mine. The Doctor is not meant to be portrayed as a good Dalek. He is a good man who has made many mistakes; if he is a cold man with no care towards those around him, then he becomes more similar to Rassilon or the Master. In the words of Cass from Night of the Doctor: "Who can tell the difference anymore?"

Robots of Sherwood

Is this episode campy? Yes. Was the ending unscientific? Yes. Was it my favorite episode of Season 8 thus far? Storms yes.

I make no bones about the fact that I love the lighter aspects of Doctor Who. I have no stomach for the dark and gritty episodes--give me an upbeat romp through time and space any day. 

That is exactly what Robots of Sherwood is. Clara requests to meet her childhood hero, Robin Hood. The Doctor, for once, is skeptical of a legendary figure's existence--which is odd considering he claims to have met Santa Claus, but I digress. Clara presses on and the Doctor relents, soon winding up in an enormously entertaining spoon duel with the Earl of Locksley himself.

The banter between Robin Hood and the Doctor is hilarious throughout the episode. Robin's insistence on laughing in the face of death seems to grate upon the Twelfth Doctor considerably, leading to hilarious situations throughout the episode. The arrow-splitting contest was light and cheesy, and had me laughing throughout. Not laughing in derision--rather, I knew that this was the most fun I'd had watching an episode since Day of the Doctor, and I relished every second of it.

Though the fun was dialed up to eleven through the whole episode, it still maintained darker elements that added some needed weight to the episode. Ben Miller offered a fantastic performance as the Sheriff of Nottingham, with his army of robot knights being the most menacing robots I've seen in quite some time. The crosses on their helmets issuing dazzling violet lasers was a wonderful touch, in my opinion.

The Doctor was allowed to shine as a hero in his own right, while still showing the grumpiness and ferocity inherent in his twelfth incarnation. Robin Hood was given the weight he deserves as a classic folk hero, while Clara was superb in her role as a companion to keep the Time Lord in check. Virtually every scene in the episode had me either laughing or leaning out of my seat in interest right until the very end.

I would not go so far as to say this was my favorite episode, as there have been far better in the show's long history. But Robots of Sherwood tells a gripping story, weaves fascinating characters, and keeps the bright and optimistic tone I most adore in Doctor Who

We're now coming up on Listen, an episode built up as the Moffat horror to end all Moffat horrors. I will make sure I get a good night's sleep to make up for all the sleepless nights I'll suffer once Moffat has wrought his nightmares, but however the series continues and however dark and fierce the Doctor becomes, I hope that every now and then we'll get a lighthearted laugh across time and space.

Alrighty then I have just watched Listen

What did I think about the episode? I would say it was okay but a bit too unfocused for my taste. First we are off to a good start with the Doctor´s little self-study, even if the "perfect hunter" and "perfect defense" bit wasn´t all that logical given that they don´t have 100% success either but hey. (Personally I thought immediately of the silence, though, which took a bit of the excitement out of the premise for me.)

Next we get the failed date montage. Nothing outright bad here (appart from the fact that thanks to my increased exposure to Steelheart I couldn´t help but to connect Danny Pink´s name to the Pink Pinkness, granted nothing the episode itself can be blamed for.) Although, Clara is apparently horrible at small-talk. It does however set something into motion that, in my opinion, will harm the episode, namely shifting the narrative away from the horror/search and towards their relationship. Now, I don´t mind the plot of Clara getting a boyfriend, it´s just not very scary.

Then we get to the orphanage, yet again not exactly bad but the monster sucked chull-crem at hiding you could even see it a bit at the end! (which kind of makes sense later on but we´ll get to that.) Ignoring that, I in fact like this scene, the Doctor´s fear speech was good and more importantly showed that under his grumpy exterior he does care about the little kid.

And back to the date, more of the same honestly, it´s gonna be really repetetive if every single encounter they follows this "they say things they don´t mean in the heat of the moment but then Clara comes back and walks into him felling bad about it" pattern. It was still nice to see the space-suit again. :P

Sadly, the Doctor didn´t wear it, it was Orson Pink, the walking spoiler for Clara´s life and I have to wonder, did the Doctor think this through? I mean, hello Spoilers! You would think that the Doctor would try to avoid something like this. Anyway, back to the plot at the end of the universe, which has kind of lost its punch to be honest. <_< Enough with my complaints, let´s look what happens at the end of the universe. The aforementioned spoilers that connect to the overarching Pink plot (notice a pattern?) and an ambiguous something. Sadly this wasn´t an good or more importantly scary something like in "Midnight" but a "I have no clue what just happened but I think it is over"- side occurrence something, which could have been scary but as I mentioned the focus ain´t on the horror.

Last but not least we come to the young!Doctor in his barn. Clara does love to screw around in his timeline, doesn´t she? ;) Anyhow, this scene gives us a retroactive framing-device, there was no one monster the Doctor was just scared of the dark... interesting, not that being scared is above the Doctor, see his own speech for why not, (talking about that speech say hello to more paradoxes) but he doesn´t strike me as the kind of person that hunts his own delusions. In my opinion it would have been better, if he decided to start his "am I a good man" campaign by challanging his fears, instead of just running after his own tail. Furthermore, it makes me wonder ih he really felt sympathy with young Pink on the basis of carrying for people or if was just because of the similarity between them.

Another thing I noted is that there was no promised land segment, unless I missed it, which is kind of weird given that the previous three episodes set up a pattern and this episode already followed enough other patterns of its own. I suppose it makes sense given that no one died... Wait, everybody lived! :lol:

So overall, the scenes themself aren´t so bad, some better than others, but they together don´t make a good episode, if you ask me, especially not a horror episode. I may notice more stuff or change some of my opinions after letting it sit for a while but at the moment this is it.

Anything else, well it has been some episodes, so I might as well give a proper opinion on 12. On him I´m somewhat split, on the one hand I do like cynical stories and his grumpyness can be hilarious on the other hand I do share Kobold´s sentiment that he can be to callous to fit as the Doctor. He makes an interesting contrast to 11, who somewhat evaded the question wheter or not he was a good man, even though it was clear he didn´t think of himself as one, and overplayed it with his antics, which i loved by the way. 12 however fully confronts that question and how does he change himself?

He continues being grumpy, I honestly don´t think he put any effort whatsoever to become a better person, at least not yet, even if episode two was a low.

Talking about episode two, could someone tell me why now everone is so excited by the Doctor Dalek comparison, yes it is fitting but it was made before (for example 9´s episode "Dalek"), in that regard 12 is actually a step back in characterization. :unsure:

Oh well, next apparently is a heist story, I think I tend to avoid previews, so that´s promising.

Edited by Edgedancer

Talking about episode two, could someone tell me why now everone is so excited by the Doctor Dalek comparison, yes it is fitting but it was made before (for example 9´s episode "Dalek"), in that regard 12 is actually a step back in characterization.  :unsure:

For me, the interesting thing isn't the comparision between the Doctor and the Daleks- you're right, that's a comparision that's been made before. The thing that interests me about that line is the ambiguity and meaning to it. Whereas Nine's story was about whether or not he's just like the Daleks (and ended with "I'd rather be a coward than a Dalek"), this is the opposite story. Can a Dalek be a Doctor? Previous stories have always emphasised the Daleks as unrepetent evil, but this one raised the idea of a good Dalek... and at the same time asked what, exactly, a good Dalek is? Is it a Dalek who has a time lords appreciation for the universe? Or is it just a Dalek with it's targets reversed? Is killing Daleks something that makes a character "good"?

Anyway, Listen... was strange. I need to rewatch it, I think, but the pace seemed very uneven to me, which kind of discourages me from rewatching it. The whole thing had a sense of Steven Moffat telling a remix of all his old stories; monsters playing on perceptions? Check. The Doctor meddling in his companions time streams? Check. Clara intervening at the Doctors past? Check.

I can't decide if criticising Moffat for these... well, Moffat-isms is fair or not. On the one hand, they are part of his storytelling style, and the earlier episodes he did with them were fantastic- Season Five probably remains my single favourite season, thanks to the timey-wimey plot. But, just like I mock Davies for his over reliance on sentimentality- Jesus Doctor being "Sorry, I'm so sorry" anyone?- I feel like I have to criticise Moffat for it as well.

Maybe it's just an effect of having watched so many of his stories to this point, but Listen had a very familiar feel to it, with not enough done to twist or make it different or original.

• 1 month later...

Considering the finale airs in the UK tonight (and presumably sometime soon for America and other countries), I figured a topic bump might be... appropriate/acceptable.

(It's also why I didn't just edit the above post, since that wouldn't bump it.)

So... finale! Anyone excited?

Having finally got caught up on everything... I have no theories on Missy. It's disappointing- I don't think Moffat has nailed a good story arc since Season 5. That said, I do have theories about the finale trailer that aired with episode ten!

So... the trailer was cut together in a way that makes Clara seem like the villain; she's menacing the Doctor, seems to be doing things that he doesn't want her to do, and may have unleashed the Cybermen.

My big theory at the moment is that the above is all (or at least mostly) a lie. I don't have an idea on how stuff will come together, but I think Clara's line that "Time can be rewritten" is because of something she did. I think she, for whatever reason, is going to erase herself from having ever been born; that is why the Doctor says he doesn't believe she'll do it, and might be why she has the Tardis key- she's stopping the Doctor from undoing what she did.

Why did she do it? Hell if I know. But her scene at the end of the trailer shows what looks like a conversation between her and a Cyberman, with her explaining that "I'm not Clara Oswald. Clara Oswald has never existed". It might make her look bad, but considering the cyberman seems to be pointing at her with a weapon, I'm guessing she's refuting some piece of logic: the Cybermen have been dispatched to kill Clara, which prompts the above speech.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone read the novels or listened to the dramas? Just wondering if their worth a mostly Nu!Who fan like myself getting into, and if so where to start.

About the Big Finish audio drama, they continue the Classic Who in the main range, so if you haven't watched the show than it can be hard to follow, but I think people should watch the 8th doctor movie with Paul Mcgan and than listen to the new 8th doctor series with Paul Mcgan and Sheridan Smith, the synergy between the two of them are near divine, and dare you to sit still after listening to the end of the final chapter. The audio series take the best of the series, remove almost all of the nonsense of the TV, the quality of writing is really consistent. (none of the nonsense shipper war in the new series, character development is really belivable).

In short, Whovians should listen to Big Finish, especially those who watched the Classic. It can be hard to get into but when you hook up you don't even want to watch TV series.

• 8 months later...

Okay, look.

Before the mods get mad.

Yes, this thread is old... but that's sort-of a consequence of TV Shows airing in season's. And with the latest episode of Who juuust around the corner, it seemed more sensible to resurrect this thread for Who talk rather than starting a new one.

On which note...

Doctor Who season nine begins airing (in the UK) 19/09/15. Just ahead of that, BBC has released a short teaser prologue, and I figured I'd post it here for anyone who hadn't heard or seen it yet.

Thoughts?

Is it just me, or does this seem like it stepped right out of Smith's tenure? I liked the banter between Capaldi and the Priestess of Karn -he seem's more subdued than he did during his entire first season, I think- but... the resignation? The walking to an enemy and the possibility of "your own destruction"? 

Look, I get it: the Doctor is going to face the possibility of death. I'm not gonna say that anytime he thinks he's going to die is aping Smith... but the prologue makes it sound like this is a very definite death he is confronting, which was the running thread for Smith's last two season's (and sort-of for Ten in End of Time). Are we going through that kind of plot point again?

Other points: meditating on a rock. I wasn't a huge fan of Listen, but the opening scene of the Doctor crosslegged on the Tardis was a very striking image. Is meditation going to be a running theme with this Doctor? His first seasons story-line was about the afterlife, and questioning his own morality... so I wonder if Twelve is going to be more "spiritual" Doctor. His comments about life being a path to destruction does sound a little more philosophical than just banter...

Also: the Doctor's enemy is one he has always been enemies with -albeit it, not a hated enemy like the Daleks, if Capaldi's reaction is accurate- and is a 'he'. I would have said the Master, but considering last we saw involved him becoming Missy...

So... yeah. Odd prologue. And I don't know what to think about Clara's absence. I'm starting to think this might open the same way Day of the Moon did Season six.

To be honest, I don't know what I think of Capaldi as the Doctor yet. He plays it wonderfully, but somehow, this regeneration still seems a bit flat. One thing I thought the earlier seasons of the new series did well was character development. I feel as though, starting with Eleven, we've been missing some of that. On the other hand, the monsters have gotten drastically better. Some of the earlier monsters were downright laughable. Moffat has done very well on that front. I just really want the Doctor to be more fleshed out as a character.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the show at the moment. I'm still really excited for Season 9, even though I won't get to see it until 6 months from now. (stupid Dish not giving us BBC America  :angry: )

It's true; Capaldi hasn't really fit in his role as The Doctor yet!

If only Moffat would give him a chance by bringing back Doctor Who and quit writing The Clara Show. Then, Capaldi might develop and grow on us as The Doctor instead of Clara's companion. Seriously, the incessant focus on everything Clara makes me really want to stop watching for a while.

It's true; Capaldi hasn't really fit in his role as The Doctor yet!

If only Moffat would give him a chance by bringing back Doctor Who and quit writing The Clara Show. Then, Capaldi might develop and grow on us as The Doctor instead of Clara's companion. Seriously, the incessant focus on everything Clara makes me really want to stop watching for a while.

I could not agree more. I was actually rather glad that she was leaving. Don't get me wrong, I think she's fantastic, but... well, it was getting old. And then Jenna Coleman said she wouldn't be leaving, and I kinda cried internally. She had a perfect exit -- the perfect exit  -- and now we get at least one more season. She's had all the development she needs, IMHO, and I was hoping for another companion soon (like Osgood, maybe? <_<).

But that doesn't really dampen my excitement for season 9. Oh man, this Saturday's gonna be packed.  :D 

Osgood would be amazing as a companion. I just really want some of the old characterization back from the early seasons. Unfortunately, I don't think it's one of Moffat's strong points. I kinda want a Doctor who isn't depressed all the time. I understand it's an important part of his character, but it doesn't lead anywhere. In my opinion, Ten was a really good balance of witty and sad. Eleven, once you got over Ten's regeneration, was a nice break from a serious Doctor... until he was depressed.

Season Nine spoilers. Seriously. Huge spoilers from radios and internet. You have been warned.

Apparently, Jenna Coleman has a new role in a drama playing a young Queen Elizabeth...as a result of which she has quit Doctor Who.

It sounds like she's leaving before the Christmas special, so...that's a thing.

I don't know how to feel about this. I feel like Jenna herself has been fine, but the writing for Clara just...well, frankly, hasn't been good enough. Hopefully she gets a great season as a send-off though!

(And if she stays for the whole thing, won't that mean she's the longest serving companion of NuWho?)

(And if she stays for the whole thing, won't that mean she's the longest serving companion of NuWho?)

If she stays until the Christmas special, she'd have served two full seasons (half of 7, 8, half of 9), meanwhile Amy's at 2.5 seasons (5, 6, half of 7). Amy is currently the longest, followed by Rory and Rose, who are tied at 2 seasons each, though they might have one or two episodes over each other depending on how you count "episodes as companion". Clara would tie with them if she leaves half way.

For completion's sake, Martha and Donna each have 1 season, Mickey is complicated with his coming and going but I'd say he's just under a full season, Jack is at half a season, River is also convoluted, but I'd say she's got a full season, and I'd argue no one else is worth mentioning in this regard.

Honorable mention to Wilfred too. I know he never traveled full time with the Doctor, but really neither did some of the others mentioned. They're more recurring characters than companions.

I'll always love Sarah Jane Smith too. Definitely an old companion but showed up a lot in the NuWho too. She had a total of 5 or 6 seasons plus two spin-offs. And she met 9 of the Doctors! May she rest in peace (Elisabeth Sladen that is).