Doctor Who

Quiver

Anyone finish Season 10? What do you all think of it??

Spoiler

Watched Season 11: I have since learned a few very very very important things: 

No 1: 13 is the worst Doctor so far, she is not grabbing me at all

No 2: Chibnall is absolutely god awful as show writer!!

No 3: The stories are not good. I do not remember any story!! They make God and Monsters look like a masterpiece!!

No 4: The show music is not captivating enough. There is no emotional connection to what is happening

No 5: There are no stakes, due to both the stories and how 13 interacts with the environment and characters around her

No 6: The only way I can make sense of her is either she is the Valeyard or:

No 7: A punishment from the Time Lords for killing himself, since Time Lords consider dying culturally evil

Edited by Cosfan4472

• 3 months later...

Anyone watching series 12? I've only seen episode 1 but storms, I loved it. I like the James Bond parody thing, this show has a thing for stuff like that. And it's a part 1! Does this mean we can expect more multi-part serials? If there's a thing I don't like about the new series (or rather, that I'm liking more in the classic one) is that almost every story ends in the same episode it starts, which is why I loved Extremis in series 10 and why I'm so excited now. Crossing fingers here.

Also, regarding the end of the episode:

Spoiler

The Master is here!!! Can't say much with so little screen time with his actual personality but I have a good feeling.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:59 PM, Eluvianii said:

Anyone watching series 12? I've only seen episode 1 but storms, I loved it. I like the James Bond parody thing, this show has a thing for stuff like that. And it's a part 1! Does this mean we can expect more multi-part serials? If there's a thing I don't like about the new series (or rather, that I'm liking more in the classic one) is that almost every story ends in the same episode it starts, which is why I loved Extremis in series 10 and why I'm so excited now. Crossing fingers here.

Also, regarding the end of the episode:

Hide contents

The Master is here!!! Can't say much with so little screen time with his actual personality but I have a good feeling.

I can say after finally seeing both parts that I'm cautiously optimistic for the direction of Season 12! Looking forward to the rest of the season, now that Chibnall finally has his feet under him it seems and everyone is settling into their roles.

Spoiler

Same! I actually got spoiled a bit (I ask you, who puts spoilers in bonus clip titles?!), but it turned out better than I was expecting. My favorite Master/ identity reveal scene is still Missy, I think, but I like this new Master. He's great and just as deranged as I'd expect him to be!

Also, I've just given up on trying to figure out how the Master is still alive, regenerations aside.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:40 PM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Why have I only just now found this place?:wub:

I dunno, but welcome! :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up last night, and, well, that... happened. :mellow: 

Spoiler

I got spoiled on Captain Jack being back (yay!) but I was not prepared for where the episode went after that. Good Gallifrey I'm so confused and intrigued at the same time. I was wondering if the chameleon arch was involved, but I was expecting Lee/Ruth to be some non-humanoid lizard alien things, not Time Lords! (I mean, it makes sense in hindsight -- that foreshadowing was there -- but I'd forgotten about the CA mechanics, honestly. My other thought was that if the Time Lord couldn't decrypt it, then it couldn't be Time Lord tech, but that was later explained as well.)

So far I've loved eps. 1 & 2, vaguely disliked ep. 3 for terrible pacing and a complete lack of subtlety, quite enjoyed ep. 4, and loved ep. 5. Can't wait to see where this season goes!

On 2/2/2020 at 4:51 AM, Slowswift said:

Just caught up last night, and, well, that... happened. :mellow: 

Hide contents

I got spoiled on Captain Jack being back (yay!) but I was not prepared for where the episode went after that. Good Gallifrey I'm so confused and intrigued at the same time. I was wondering if the chameleon arch was involved, but I was expecting Lee/Ruth to be some non-humanoid lizard alien things, not Time Lords! (I mean, it makes sense in hindsight -- that foreshadowing was there -- but I'd forgotten about the CA mechanics, honestly. My other thought was that if the Time Lord couldn't decrypt it, then it couldn't be Time Lord tech, but that was later explained as well.)

So far I've loved eps. 1 & 2, vaguely disliked ep. 3 for terrible pacing and a complete lack of subtlety, quite enjoyed ep. 4, and loved ep. 5. Can't wait to see where this season goes!

Spoiler

Hmm my thoughts on the episodes are pretty similar. 3 had some good ideas but largely wasted them trying to bludgeon everybody with the point. Quite enjoyed the rest though (haven't seen ep 6 yet). I'm liking this season a lot more than the last. I did enjoy s11 but I felt it was lacking in terms of serious beats for the Doctor. Graham and Ryan had a good arc but I like to see some of the darkness/depth/serious side the Doctor come through and there just wasn't much of it that season. It was mostly just fun adventure. I appreciate that this season is doing a lot more of that.

5 was crazy though :P I knew something big was in it but otherwise hadn't been spoiled. I had been thinking as the episode went on that it seemed a lot like a chameleon arch but I'd been thinking they *probably* wouldn't actually make Ruth another time lord. That'd be a bit farther than they'd likely go right? Wrong, so very wrong. :P

In retrospect, they did set up Ruth being the Doctor quite well. Gat even calls Lee a 'faithful companion'.

Suffice to say I'm quite on board to see where all this goes.

• 1 month later...

A bit late (alright, really late) but thoughts on the season as a whole? I personally enjoyed it a lot, especially the episode about Tesla, that quote at the end was brilliant.

Regarding the end of the season (spoiled because, just in case someone else was lazy like me)

Spoiler

Boy, was that something. I think it's a risky move but it could lead to insteresting stuff, and explain one or two things. Like when Eleven was about to die and the Time Lords gave him another set of regenerations, guess they didn't have to actually do a lot. This will also probably open a lot of holes but this is a story where I believe consistency was never really a thing.

The one thing I'm worried about is that we may never get to see Time Lords or the Master again, but this wouldn't be the first time we're told a species is dead for good. Or the Master for that matter (who was brilliant, I wish this incarnation had lasted a bit longer, so far if I had to call one of the Masters truly evil, it would be this one. All the previous ones had something that redeemed them a bit or at least made them easy to empathize with, but this one was a madman all the way).

Also, that scene at the end, it looks a lot like the opening for a Christmas Special, but if new year-new season becomes the standard, I don't think we will be getting those anymore. Thought on that?

6 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

A bit late (alright, really late) but thoughts on the season as a whole? I personally enjoyed it a lot, especially the episode about Tesla, that quote at the end was brilliant.

Regarding the end of the season (spoiled because, just in case someone else was lazy like me)

Hide contents

Boy, was that something. I think it's a risky move but it could lead to insteresting stuff, and explain one or two things. Like when Eleven was about to die and the Time Lords gave him another set of regenerations, guess they didn't have to actually do a lot. This will also probably open a lot of holes but this is a story where I believe consistency was never really a thing.

The one thing I'm worried about is that we may never get to see Time Lords or the Master again, but this wouldn't be the first time we're told a species is dead for good. Or the Master for that matter (who was brilliant, I wish this incarnation had lasted a bit longer, so far if I had to call one of the Masters truly evil, it would be this one. All the previous ones had something that redeemed them a bit or at least made them easy to empathize with, but this one was a madman all the way).

Also, that scene at the end, it looks a lot like the opening for a Christmas Special, but if new year-new season becomes the standard, I don't think we will be getting those anymore. Thought on that?

I really enjoyed the season too.

Spoiler

The Master is all but certainly alive and may still have some cyber lords, you can hear him telling the cyber lords to follow him as the Doctor is running off, before Ko Sharmus detonated the particle. He probably had a tardis just round the corner. I reckon there's a good chance he'll show up again next season. I hope he does, he was great.

I have no issues with the timeless child thing. I understand why people do, but I think most are missing the point or drawing conclusions that the show doesn't. It changes everything! Except it changes nothing! :P How the knowledge effects the Doctor and the whole Division thing does have a present/future impact but it doesn't *actually* change anything about who the Doctor *is* as a person or anything about their choices/personality in the previous incarnations we've seen. Both the last episode and Fugitive of the Judoon touched on that pretty explicitly. (Also Doctor Who has something of a history of retcons of varying degrees, this adds stuff but actually slots in to existing canon ok anyway. More than could be said for some changes :P )

I've enjoyed being excited for Doctor Who episodes again. I enjoyed last season, but I wasn't excited to see what happened next or wondering what something could be. I had plenty of speculation going into the last couple of episodes. I didn't know for sure if the Doctor was the timeless child but I wasn't exactly shocked :P The thing I was least sure about (and most worried about them giving a convincing reason for) was why the Master was *that* angry. Short of him being the timeless child I couldn't really think what secret he could have found that would have had that profound an impact on him. But the answer makes perfect sense.

As far as I know the next episode is a special, not a direct episode 1 of season 13. But I could be wrong about that.

Couple of other fun thoughts (not that I noticed all of this myself):
-The Doctor has said before how they 'always wanted to be Ginger'. So of course Brendan was Ginger. :P 

The end of this season actually works surprisingly well with the prophecy of the hybrid from s9. They're standing amidst the ruins of Gallifrey and multiple hybrids of warrior races present. Eg:
-The cyber lords
-The Master with the Cyberium
-The combination of the Master and the Doctor, or just: the master with the time lord upgrade created from the timeless child/the Doctor

Not sure if that was intentional and I know the intention back in s9 was that the hybrid was the combination of the 11th Doctor and Clara, but I found it amusing regardless.

Edited by Claincy

11 hours ago, Claincy said:

I really enjoyed the season too.

Reveal hidden contents

The Master is all but certainly alive and may still have some cyber lords, you can hear him telling the cyber lords to follow him as the Doctor is running off, before Ko Sharmus detonated the particle. He probably had a tardis just round the corner. I reckon there's a good chance he'll show up again next season. I hope he does, he was great.

I have no issues with the timeless child thing. I understand why people do, but I think most are missing the point or drawing conclusions that the show doesn't. It changes everything! Except it changes nothing! :P How the knowledge effects the Doctor and the whole Division thing does have a present/future impact but it doesn't *actually* change anything about who the Doctor *is* as a person or anything about their choices/personality in the previous incarnations we've seen. Both the last episode and Fugitive of the Judoon touched on that pretty explicitly. (Also Doctor Who has something of a history of retcons of varying degrees, this adds stuff but actually slots in to existing canon ok anyway. More than could be said for some changes :P )

I've enjoyed being excited for Doctor Who episodes again. I enjoyed last season, but I wasn't excited to see what happened next or wondering what something could be. I had plenty of speculation going into the last couple of episodes. I didn't know for sure if the Doctor was the timeless child but I wasn't exactly shocked :P The thing I was least sure about (and most worried about them giving a convincing reason for) was why the Master was *that* angry. Short of him being the timeless child I couldn't really think what secret he could have found that would have had that profound an impact on him. But the answer makes perfect sense.

As far as I know the next episode is a special, not a direct episode 1 of season 13. But I could be wrong about that.

Couple of other fun thoughts (not that I noticed all of this myself):
-The Doctor has said before how they 'always wanted to be Ginger'. So of course Brendan was Ginger. :P 

The end of this season actually works surprisingly well with the prophecy of the hybrid from s9. They're standing amidst the ruins of Gallifrey and multiple hybrids of warrior races present. Eg:
-The cyber lords
-The Master with the Cyberium
-The combination of the Master and the Doctor, or just: the master with the time lord upgrade created from the timeless child/the Doctor

Not sure if that was intentional and I know the intention back in s9 was that the hybrid was the combination of the 11th Doctor and Clara, but I found it amusing regardless.

Spoiler

I hope you're right, I can't get enough of this Master's.. madness.

And yeah, next episode will surely be a special, but either we'll get it before Christmas or we'll have to wait over a year for the next season again. Assuming it's the former, I wonder if they would choose any date or pick a different holiday instead.

You know, I didn't mind the Timeless Child thing either, but I was actually worried before watching it. People disliking Thirteen is nothing new, but the reactions to that episode seemed extreme to me. And now, well, they still do, like really, it's not that big of a change. Pretty comparable to making the Doctor a "genocide", or making them a superhero with twice as many lives as others of their race.

I didn't notice the ginger thing either, now it all makes sense XD. And I actually don't remember that prophecy from series 9. I should probably rewatch it, but I'm a bit busy working my way through classic Who (at least from Three onwards. I have a bit of an issue with One and Two having so many serials missing. I'll probably go back sometime and watch the slideshows though)

Now, a thing to think about is where the show will go from here. Next season will likely be Whittaker's last. It feels weird, if she gets a full third season it would be more or less as much as Capaldi got episode-wise, but for some reason her time feels a bit short. Either way, now's probably a good time to make theories.

Edited by Eluvianii